• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got my second house, this time it's in Windhelm - cost 12,000 gold with about 8,500 extra on upgrades (furnishings, alchemy and enchanting tables, plus an armoury). The armoury is a nice idea, but it's glitched. You get 4 mannequins to store your armour on, but when you add armour it becomes invisible :/ - also, while there is this option for armour, the sword racks on the wall are not interactive, you can't even hang the weapons in there manually. There is however a whole load of display cases (still have to manually arrange items), big and small, and four or so of the auto-sorting bookshelves dotted around the house. There is a small quest to complete before you can furnish the house, and the alchemy and enchanting labs are
hidden in a secret wall inside a bookcase, which is pretty cool
, however the
blood and bones on the floor don't disappear after the quest is over, lol

I previously tried buying a house in Markath, but despite completing all the requisite quests I never get the dialogue option to purchase a house :/

Oxymoron

Ugh, I feel incredibly frustrated. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but:

I've been turned into a vampire, and the disease has advanced to the blood-crazed stage, where everyone attacks me on sight, but I can't figure out how to get to a point where people don't auto-attack me. If there's a way to feed on people and tone down the vampirism, I haven't been able to find it. I've got the Rising at Dawn quest active, but I don't have the Soul Trap spell, and people auto-attack me when I go into any town. I've tried sneaking up to people, but all I see is the "Pickpocket" option.

This is kind of ruining my experience. I'm on 360, if it helps.

bengraven

On my second in game day (about 3 hours into the game real time), lvl 4 or 5, three thugs with heavy armor showed up in Riverwood and I died literally 5 times.

Enjoying the difficulty this time around.

Zeliard

Fjordson said:
One of the bigger improvements they've made, IMO. Like Zeliard said, it's night and day.

I just ambled into a tavern and was able to bet this woman that she couldn't knock me out. Lmao, she actually owned me.

The diversions in this game seem to never end. So good.

That's the beauty with Elder Scrolls games, even Oblivion to an extent. The glorious diversions. You'll mark a town on your map (when you have a map) to head to and when you eventually arrive, 5 hours of real time have passed and you've cleared dungeons, caught a disease, picked up other quests, and you finally stroll into town with tons of loot that you picked up in adventures along the way.

epmode

(._.) said:
why is the prima guide for this game almost $30 digital?
is it the same price retail?
I think it's the same price as the standard edition of the guide. The only review I've seen on Itunes says that it's a pretty shitty app/ebook/whatever. Poor indexing, low quality images, etc. You're probably better off with the actual book.

Jagxyz

Angry Grimace said:
Too easy? Shit I died like eight times in a row and had to restart.

I picked up the quest for Azura and there was a group of magic casting enemies, most of whom were about right, but some of them were "adept" or "apprentice" level and brutalized me unless I kind of cheesed them. Then I got sent to the next part
inside Azura's Star!
and I got my teeth kicked in immediately by 3 spellcasters that seemed all way over my level simultaneously with no cover.

Guess it was just the enemies I was fighting.

Also, I saw a giant hit an elk. It went FLYING.
epic.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Read every book you come across. I've already found a few cool quests and quite a few free skill ups doing so. Some of them are actually interesting reads, too!

Zeliard

Zefah said:
Read every book you come across. I've already found a few cool quests and quite a few free skill ups doing so. Some of them are actually interesting reads, too!

I have so many books in my inventory.

So many books.

Not a single one of which I've read. :p Eventually.

I don't think you have to actually flip through the pages to trigger the quest or skill upgrade, though. You just have to "open" them which you automatically do when you pick them up anyway. I've gotten a couple in that fashion so far.

bengraven

Saw this on Reddit just now.

Does anyone else smell burned hair?

4a2TC.jpg

Wallach

Holy shit this game is amazing. Stumbled across some crazy shit already and I'm only level 6 still. Conjuration is god damn beautiful and I am endlessly entertained by resurrecting people to turn on their friends; there is something hilarious about reanimating someone you just fucked over and watching them use a hand-to-hand finishing move to choke and beat the last bit of life out of their partner. Still salty about losing my Amulet of Talos.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I love how you don't get arbitrarily locked out of attempting stuff like locked doors regardless of numerical skill. I only had a lockpick of 29 but I earlier picked a master level door...that contained an expert level chest! I only went through about 10 lockpicks, that felt great to pull off.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
bengraven said:
Saw this on Reddit just now.

Does anyone else smell burned hair?

4a2TC.jpg

This happened in my game (and I believe it will probably happen to most people because of the way this particular dragon spawns) and the mammoth monkey stomped dragon breath.

charsace

Is anyone else bothered by the lack of inverse kinematics and interpolation in the animation system? Its really annoying when walking on rocky terrain. The shadows also have some annoying flickering and there are seams at times in the terrain/background.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
Holy shit this game is amazing. Stumbled across some crazy shit already and I'm only level 6 still. Conjuration is god damn beautiful and I am endlessly entertained by resurrecting people to turn on their friends; there is something hilarious about reanimating someone you just fucked over and watching them use a hand-to-hand finishing move to choke and beat the last bit of life out of their partner. Still salty about losing my Amulet of Talos.

Hehe yep recently snagged me the basic Summon Zombie spell and I'm gonna get some nice use out of it and Conjuration in general.

Also, trying to figure out what spells classes start with. Dunmer started with Flames, Sparks and Healing, with Sparks I believe being unique to them as a starting spell. Does every class get Flames and Healing?

LProtag

Papercuts said:
I love how you don't get arbitrarily locked out of attempting stuff like locked doors regardless of numerical skill. I only had a lockpick of 29 but I earlier picked a master level door...that contained an expert level chest! I only went through about 10 lockpicks, that felt great to pull off.

So you're telling me not to worry about taking lockpick perks, is that what I'm hearing?

WanderingWind

InsertNameHere said:
So you're telling me not to worry about taking lockpick perks, is that what I'm hearing?

I dunno, that unbreakable perk seems pretty groovy. I have no idea what that wax key perk is supposed to do though. Once you unlock a door, you get a key for it? For what purpose?

Zeliard

Papercuts said:

Yep, opening some expert and master level locks early on is also a nice way to boost your level in general.

I'm fairly beastly at it, I must say. :p Did plenty of lockpicking in Fallout 3 and New Vegas and it's the same system, so it's like second-nature.

Firebrand

Is there a way to become the new owner of stolen goods? I find it kind of silly that guards can see what goods you're carrying that are stolen. I also found an abandoned horse by a bandit camp, but it kept showing "Steal" even after riding around on it for a while. It eventually ran off.

Papercuts said:
I like that, but there's quite a lot of "can't be picked, requires key" locks though which is a bit disappointing.

epmode

Magic is AWESOME this time. And the fast mana recharge means that I'm casting shit all the time. Resurrecting zombies, DOOM LIGHTNING, even a Fable-style breadcrumb trail.

One thing though. ...the quickkey option in the PC version doesn't work well with spells at all. I don't think there's a way to assign a number key to your right hand, only your left.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Hehe yep recently snagged me the basic Summon Zombie spell and I'm gonna get some nice use out of it and Conjuration in general.

Also, trying to figure out what spells classes start with. Dunmer started with Flames, Sparks and Healing, with Sparks I believe being unique to them as a starting spell. Does every class get Flames and Healing?

Yeah, everyone gets Flames and Healing. Dunmer start with Sparks (which is kind of shitty because you get Sparks right away for free), Altmer get Fury (Illusion) and Breton get Summon Familiar (Conjuration). I don't think any of the other races start with a unique spell.

epmode said:
Magic is AWESOME this time. And the fast mana recharge means that I'm casting shit all the time. Resurrecting zombies, DOOM LIGHTNING, even a Fable-style breadcrumb trail.

One thing though. ...the quickkey option in the PC version doesn't work well with spells at all. I don't think there's a way to assign a number key to your right hand, only your left.

You can't, but you can hit the hotkey twice to assign it to your right hand. So you have to do like 1 -> 1 -> 2 to get 2 on your left hand and 1 on your right hand.

WanderingWind

Firebrand said:
Is there a way to become the new owner of stolen goods? I find it kind of silly that guards can see what goods you're carrying that are stolen. I also found an abandoned horse by a bandit camp, but it kept showing "Steal" even after riding around on it for a while. It eventually ran off.

Perk.

EDIT: Hm, may have misunderstood the question. Guards have never hasseled me and I'm running amok with stolen crap.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
Yeah, everyone gets Flames and Healing. Dunmer start with Sparks (which is kind of shitty because you get Sparks right away for free), Altmer get Fury (Illusion) and Breton get Summon Familiar (Conjuration). I don't think any of the other races start with a unique spell.

That Summon Familiar spell would have been nice to have early on. :p

Jagxyz

Wallach said:

You can't, but you can hit the hotkey twice to assign it to your right hand. So you have to do like 1 -> 1 -> 2 to get 2 on your left hand and 1 on your right hand.

Nords can warcry (make enemies run away.

InsertNameHere said:

That's exactly what I'm doing. Sure, there's some nice stuff later on in the skill tree like lock-picks never breaking, but I'd rather spend my perks elsewhere when I can already open every lock without too much hassle and there's an abundance of picks to be found.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
InsertNameHere said:

Depends. I'm basically planning on thieving all kinds of shit, so I'm going down the tree for unbreakable lockpicks, 50% chance of finding better stuff, more gold, etc.

You CAN lockpick anything, but when it's at master/expert the lockpick basically breaks once it hits any pressure. Doable if you're really good at remembering where it broke and slightly altering it, and a nice thing to see when I expected something like "NEED LOCKPICK OF 100 TO TRY THIS".

Most people can get away ignoring the tree, yeah. I'm curious on the smithing tree...not sure if I should put points in it.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
That Summon Familiar spell would have been nice to have early on. :p

It's bad ass, but it rocks your magicka pool until you get Novice Conjuration. I think even as a Breton with +10 Conjuration it takes like 75 magicka to cast at level 1.

Jagxyz

Zeliard said:
He's talking about unique magic spells, though, not racial abilities (which every race does indeed get).

Oh, never mind then. Saw it in my magic menu and just thought it was a spell. Racial ability makes more sense.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
It's bad ass, but it rocks your magicka pool until you get Novice Conjuration. I think even as a Breton with +10 Conjuration it takes like 75 magicka to cast at level 1.

I've got Novice Conjuration actually. :> Snagged that perk when I picked up the Summon Zombie spell.

Those perks are quite a thing too. The first perk for every magic spell type halves magicka use for the novice versions. Quite nice when Mage robes also add +50% to Magicka regen. It can combine to make you quite powerful early on.

LCfiner

4 hours in, I got my first Dragon shout and spent some time messing about on side quests. I really enjoy it so far. it has that classic feel of wanting to get lost because there'll be something cool around the corner.

Right now I am loving the dual handed fire magic/ Nord axe combo. the magic seems to work very well from a distance. one chop at the end is all I need to finish someone off if they charge.

graphically, the game can be inconsistent. outdoor areas generally look amazing - especially when the northern lights are in the sky or when sunlight creates great shadows in the villages. but there are low res textures everywhere and it's easy to see them on doors when you walk right up to them to open them up.

the worst look was in the Jarl's hall. there's no shadows in there. I don't get it. people have no shadows on the floor, the fire in the middle of the room casts no shadows. it looks very out of place and fake. a shame as the lighting can be very good when done right.

looking forward to getting some rest tonight and charging back into the fray tomorrow

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah, the game might have some low res textures, but I'll be damned if it isn't the best looking PC game I've ever played. Just marvel at the scenery.

grid9c.png

Bootaaay said:
Finally got my second house, this time it's in Windhelm - cost 12,000 gold with about 8,500 extra on upgrades

Out of interest, where are you getting so much money from? I'm on about 10,000 gold after 14 hours and I've made a fair bit from looting and quests, but I have no idea how to rake in enough to justify a house purchase yet.

Zeliard

blahblah...blah said:
Out of interest, where are you getting so much money from? I'm on about 10,000 gold after 14 hours and I've made a fair bit from looting and quests, but I have no idea how to rake in enough to justify a house purchase yet.

Crafting jewelry can net you a good sum.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
I've got Novice Conjuration actually. :> Snagged that perk when I picked up the Summon Zombie spell.

Those perks are quite a thing too. The first perk for every magic spell type halves magicka use for the novice versions. Quite nice when Mage robes also add +50% to Magicka regen. It can combine to make you quite powerful early on.

Yeah, it was the first thing I took. I have noticed too since I use it a lot that it's a lot harder to get enemies off you and onto your summons after they take out the first one.

Also, I didn't know that multiple rank perks required higher levels of skill to invest more into. Like I took the first rank of... Summoning or something (lets you summon atronachs and reanimate from 2x distance) which required 30 Conjuration, but the second rank for 3x distance requires 70 Conjuration.

I really like the fact that they used Fallout 3's lockpick system. Also, it's much harder to spot enemies on the wilderness than it was in Oblivion.

Liethe

Hey, sorry if this has been asked, but I'm at a loss.

Started playing some hours ago (loving it!) and now I was just trying to sell some of my loot to a hunter in the wild... I am able to "sell" some stuff out of my inventory, they disappear and all, but I am not given any gold in return... what gives?

mu cephei

Well. People seem to be really liking this.

I'm a bit disappointed myself, for mostly shallow cosmetic reasons. I'm playing it on a pc and it plays like a console game (which I guess it is) unlike Oblivion. When roaming the landscape I feel far too directed, rocks and slopes telling me where I'm supposed to go etc. There seems to be less stuff to interact with, too, i.e crates, barrels etc. In third person view the motion is also consoley.

Primarily though, it just looks bad on my pc. I'm playing it with minimum specs, my card is a 8800gt 512mb and it looks APPALLING. Snow on the ground etc at night is just blocky chunks of white.

The gameplay/ story itself is dragging me in despite my gripes however. But yeah, as a warning to those with minimum specs, expect yukkiness.

Wanace

squall23 said:
I have an odd question. How or when do those third person kill animations occur from the trailers?
When your enemy has low health and you hit them with your sword it randomly happens.

Feels bad when it happens to you instead of them.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm level 6 now nearing level 7.

I've done a bit more exploring now but in terms of the game's scale, it's not much at all.

Upon exiting Bleak Falls Barrow, I found a bunch of Imperial Guards who tried to scam me for some money. We got into a bloody fight. But I won. M'aiq was there also, have to admit, his VA threw me off.

I've been taking it slow and just enjoying it. The atmosphere and world design is brilliant. I've only been around Riverwood. I was also chasing a couple of animals with some hunters and stole their kill. One of the hunters was chasing a deer that was running for it's life, but for some reason the hunter wouldn't give up. She would have chased it to the end of the map. I also found a Necromancer lair.

I enjoyed the Golden Claw quest. I haven't even touched the main quest yet, not been to Whiterun either.

Right now, I'm in Pinewatch.
Going to find that room full of treasure. I also found an Orcish Greatsword.
Other than that, I've been doing a lot of alchemy and smithing in Riverwood as well as some hunting.

As for the combat, I'm finding it really easy. No one has provided me with a challenge yet, but I've not encountered any of the harder enemies.

Can't wait to dive back into it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom