• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Liethe said:
Hey, sorry if this has been asked, but I'm at a loss.

Started playing some hours ago (loving it!) and now I was just trying to sell some of my loot to a hunter in the wild... I am able to "sell" some stuff out of my inventory, they disappear and all, but I am not given any gold in return... what gives?

Look in the very lower right hand corner. People only have a set amount of gold, not infinite. The dude is out of gold but he's still taking what you're giving him as "gifts", haha.

Pimpbaa

Kyaw said:
Is there sexy time stuff in this game? Bethesda is not like Bioware, i guess?

I dunno but I would definitely have some sexy time with a nord woman. The female elves however, yeesh. Why did bethesda decide that their elves should be so alien and ugly looking?

Derrick01

Banned
I feel like I'm leveling pretty fast without doing a lot of actual exploration yet. Already level 13 and I've just left Whiterun on a Companion's quest

RyanDG

WanderingWind said:
I dunno, that unbreakable perk seems pretty groovy. I have no idea what that wax key perk is supposed to do though. Once you unlock a door, you get a key for it? For what purpose?

I may be misunderstanding the wax key perk, but I was under the impression it allows you to open any other lock of that skill level then with the key. But I may be reading into it too much.

SuperSugar

Neo Member
Great thread. I'v been waiting all day for the game to arrive via UPS. Used Amazon's same-day guarantee, but I now realize that that could mean ANYTIME today. Cannot wait. On the plus side: I've been extremely productive today getting a lot of real life tasks done. Hopefully I'll actually get the game tonight.

If you're playing on 360 send me a friend request. Might be fun to follow each others progress. GamerTag: Super Sugars

Oooh, it just arrived. I knew complaining would accomplish something! :)

Liethe

Wallach said:
Look in the very lower right hand corner. People only have a set amount of gold, not infinite. The dude is out of gold but he's still taking what you're giving him as "gifts", haha.
According to the value there, the hunter should have 16 gold, of which I've gotten none. :/ not sure what is up. Do I need some sort of bartering skill?

Do all dragons give you powers when you kill them? I was fighting a outside of Whiterun and then got teleported away via a quest trigger, did I miss out on anything? This dragon just randomly flew in and started attacking me, it wasn't part of any quest.

IMACOMPUTA

bengraven said:
I gotta go hunt down a mammoth for his tusk for a sexy trader chick. *sigh* not looking forward to this.

I tried and got my ASS kicked.

Attacked one only to have its buddy come out of nowhere and attack me as well.

I do practically zero damage against those guys.

IMACOMPUTA

Cryptozoologist said:
When your enemy has low health and you hit them with your sword it randomly happens.

Feels bad when it happens to you instead of them.

It only happens in third person if you're playing in third person.

But there are first person finishers too.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
Yeah, it was the first thing I took. I have noticed too since I use it a lot that it's a lot harder to get enemies off you and onto your summons after they take out the first one.

Also, I didn't know that multiple rank perks required higher levels of skill to invest more into. Like I took the first rank of... Summoning or something (lets you summon atronachs and reanimate from 2x distance) which required 30 Conjuration, but the second rank for 3x distance requires 70 Conjuration.

Yeah that makes those early race bonuses actually a bit more significant than usual. For example, combining two spells into a more powerful version is a perk you can get right after the first one in each magic tree, but it requires a skill of 20 for that particular spell type. So a race that starts with +5 or +10 to Destruction has very early access to that spell combining perk, which seems to add quite a bit of damage.

So with Dunmer early on, you've got two Destruction spells, robes and other mage gear that greatly increase mana regen and add to mana totals, a Destruction perk that reduces mana consumption by half, then that perk which combines the same Destruction magic into a more powerful attack. You can get all of that in like your first 2 levels, which is what I did, and it makes you quite mighty. Though it's definitely still a challenge on Master, with enemies hitting very hard (which is particularly tricky when you can't block) and taking a while to go down.

Dresden

Intro was really bad.

Then I was set loose on the world - killed bandits, collected furs and bugs and honey, wandered around for about an hour and stumbled upon a town - this shit is like crack.

Focusing on using a shield to mitigate damage while letting loose with fire spells.

blahblah...blah said:
Out of interest, where are you getting so much money from? I'm on about 10,000 gold after 14 hours and I've made a fair bit from looting and quests, but I have no idea how to rake in enough to justify a house purchase yet.

I'm level 27 at the moment, so I've had a while to collect all the cash - I've still got about 20,000 left after buying my second house and I pretty much stopped selling stuff just because I was picking up so much from loot. Also, for the house in Whiterun you only need 5,000 to buy the house and about 6,000 to furnish it.

zmoney said:
anyone gotten married yet? how does that process work?

You have to buy an amulet of Mara from the temple in Riften for 200 gold, then while wearing it any NPCs interested will ask about the amulet, which opens up the option to propose to them. It will only occur with NPCs you've helped out in some way via a quest. Once married you can either have your spouse move in with you, or you can mooch off of them and move into their house.

goodfella

The magic in this games is awesome.

Zeliard said:
So with Dunmer early on, you've got two Destruction spells, robes and other mage gear that greatly increase mana regen and add to mana totals, a Destruction perk that reduces mana consumption by half, then that perk which combines the same Destruction magic into a more powerful attack. You can get all of that in like your first 2 levels, which is what I did, and it makes you quite mighty. Though it's definitely still a challenge on Master, with enemies hitting very hard (which is particularly tricky when you can't block) and taking a while to go down.

This is exactly what I have done. Just going round blazing people.

BeeDog

The first impression is that this game will be pretty damn awesome. I'm so used to the Fallout 3/New Vegas frontend, the inventory system is extremely cumbersome, but I hope I get used to it soon enough.

Damn, the environments are pretty so far. The game gives me a major Gothic 3/Risen vibe with the current GameBryo engine, which is a plus.

i am playing a full mage and dying quite a bit. not sure what I am doing wrong. should i be speccing in things other then magica and destruction? do i need to carry a weapon with me? Am I supposed to ditch the robes and wear light armor? I just dye super easy. Level 8.

Any suggestions would be great!

Fjordson

It's hard for me to avoid hyperbole when talking about this game, so I'll mention a complaint:

I sort of wish I could view my dude with some sort of rotatable camera when in the items menu. You can already do it for everything else, seems like it would have been easy to put that in for your character.

Sounds silly, but I'm superficial like that :p

Seth C

Pimpbaa said:
I dunno but I would definitely have some sexy time with a nord woman. The female elves however, yeesh. Why did bethesda decide that their elves should be so alien and ugly looking?

Think of it more like this: You pick the lock to get in someone's house or shop. After that you never have to pick it to re-enter, as you have a key.

Lakitu

st5fu
Fjordson said:
It's hard for me to avoid hyperbole when talking about this game, so I'll mention a complaint:

I sort of wish I could view my dude with some sort of rotatable camera when in the items menu. You can already do it for everything else, seems like it would have been easy to put that in for your character.

Yeah, me too. Shame they removed that. It was useful in Oblivion.

I had the arrow glitch earlier, but it kind of just went away. Was weird.

Ketch

IMACOMPUTA said:
It only happens in third person if you're playing in third person.

But there are first person finishers too.

That's not true. I've had both third persona and first person finishers trigger while in first person mode. They are awesome.

Dmax3901

Fjordson said:

Agreed. Can't fathom why they don't have it.

SO GUYS we have to talk about the new conversation system and the way they play out, they are soooo much better than Bethesda's ever done before. It's crazy how the conversations can be between 3 people, including you, something happens, you take care of it, then someone walks in and starts talking to one of the others, then turns to you and seamlessly just allows you to talk as well.

i'm thinking specifically of the Court Mage talking to his Contact, then them turning to you, talking, then the Court Guard runs in, everyone runs to the Jarl, people talk including you and it's seamless due to the new real time conversation, and that's that.

it adds soooooooooo much to the game

Lakitu

st5fu
Jeremy Soule's work is masterful, can't be said enough.

The Minstrel's Lament remake came on while I was smithing. It was fucking epic.

Fou-Lu

I am thinking about rerolling my character. So far I'm just getting owned by everything. I like a little challenge, but this is getting silly.

Either that, or I'll just start upgrading my alteration for some beefy shielding spells.

dat moon

ijvdr3VGw4d9N.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having crash-to-desktop issues with the Steam overlay. Yesterday I was playing on my TV with the 360 controller and had zero issues, but today I've been playing on my monitor with kb/m and, taking advantage of that fact, have been using the Steam overlay features to bring up the browser and take Steam screenshots, etc. I've crashed to desktop 4 times today as a result of taking a screenshot or pressing shift+tab.

Anyone else experience similar issues?

Alpha-Bromega said:
SO GUYS we have to talk about the new conversation system and the way they play out, they are soooo much better than Bethesda's ever done before. It's crazy how the conversations can be between 3 people, including you, something happens, you take care of it, then someone walks in and starts talking to one of the others, then turns to you and seamlessly just allows you to talk as well.

i'm thinking specifically of the Court Mage talking to his Contact, then them turning to you, talking, then the Court Guard runs in, everyone runs to the Jarl, people talk including you and it's seamless due to the new real time conversation, and that's that.

it adds soooooooooo much to the game

I totally agree with this having just finished the section you mentioned. It feels so much better than that jarring zooming shit in Oblivion.

MrBig

Spent 10+ hours in the game so far. Game is beautiful. Haters gonna hate.

Though the shadows are absolutely terrible, even on PC. Can't wait for someone to mod out the terribly ugly interval lighting updates and make it constant.

Loxley

Misanthropy said:
Arrows in this game are really hard to find. I guess that makes being an archer even more difficult.

Iron arrows are definitely the most common at early levels since it's what most of the bandits carry, with Steel and Ancient Nordic arrows being harder to find. I'm eight hours in and level 9 right now and I'm still mostly using Iron arrows. I normally switch to the better ones when I come across a more difficult enemy.

But it has taught me to make my shots count and ration them well.

I have a question regarding the length of the side-quests. Are the respective Dark Brotherhood and Mage-related quests in Skyrim, as a whole, longer or shorter than Oblivion's?

Oblivion had so much with the recommendations and then progression in the Mage's Guild and the various plots of the Dark Brotherhood.

But looking at the achievement spread, there doesn't seem to be much. Any clarification?

*Not referring to 'Radiant quests'. I mean the proper scripted quests.

IMACOMPUTA

EasyTGT said:
That's not true. I've had both third persona and first person finishers trigger while in first person mode. They are awesome.
Oh. Thanks for clearing that up!
Sorry for the misinformation, haven't had that happen to me yet.

MrBig

dream said:
When you move something from your inventory to your "store," where exactly does it go?
"Store" is used as a verb, not a noun. You're placing it in whatever inventory you are accessing.

i fuckign LOVE that the Redguard and Khajiit have that respective Arabian and Persian flair to them, it's so awesome.

The Dunmer are back to being provincial stubborn mountain people, the Altmer as ethnocentrists, the Imperials as Romans..

all is good

anddo0

Am I the only one who finds the sneak button (PS3) to be way too sensitive?

I often find my self taking more damage than I should because I'm constantly adjusting from sneak to standing.

Trasher

So is it bad to be a werewolf? I noticed it says it doesn't let you sleep or whatever, but is that actually something to worry about?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Just looking for a totally non-spoilerific answer here, if anybody has gotten to this already...but can you find the Dark Brotherhood in the same way as in Oblivion? Yes or no would be lovely, wonderful people of GAF.

Also, the guilds...I really don't want to be the head of every guild and brotherhood in Skyrim, but I also really need to be in the Thief's guild and the DB - if the first one still exists. Am I screwed by hanging out with the group found in Whiterun?

Erudite

MrBig said:
Spent 10+ hours in the game so far. Game is beautiful. Haters gonna hate.

Though the shadows are absolutely terrible, even on PC. Can't wait for someone to mod out the terribly ugly interval lighting updates and make it constant.
Use this. Still not perfect, but better

WanderingWind said:
Just looking for a totally non-spoilerific answer here, if anybody has gotten to this already...but can you find the Dark Brotherhood in the same way as in Oblivion? Yes or no would be lovely, wonderful people of GAF.

Also, the guilds...I really don't want to be the head of every guild and brotherhood in Skyrim, but I also really need to be in the Thief's guild and the DB - if the first one still exists. Am I screwed by hanging out with the group found in Whiterun?

I believe the answer is no to both these questions. I'm starting the DB induction questline now, and it's totally different. I also have absolutely NO idea how to get into the Thieves Guild, but I'm looking forward to searching for information.

IoCaster

GhostRidah said:

I get blown away sometimes and just stop to gaze in awe...

sky2.png

The ground textures aren't anything special, but the water effects make the scene...

sky3.png

My roided-up Breton mage/assassin...

skyme.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom