• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
blahblah...blah said:
I believe the answer is no to both these questions. I'm starting the DB induction questline now, and it's totally different. I also have absolutely NO idea how to get into the Thieves Guild, but I'm looking forward to searching for information.

Thank you!

Devin Olsen said:
Climbing Mountains.

http://i.imgur.com/Qa2Mll.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/KDAcll.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Qb6dTl.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YglTDl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The Throat of the World?

Timber

Resolved today to progress the main quest, so I plot a course from Riverwood to High Hrothgar. At the foot of the mountain I need to summit there's a tiny village of like three houses, so I'm like okay I'll talk to the people and be on my way. A dude asks me to check out their barrow because it's haunted, so I'm like okay but I gotta go so I won't be long. Turns out I was long, but I cleared half the barrow and back in town I'm given the item that opens up the second half. On my way back to the barrow I see a villager I hadn't talked to yet so I'm like hey. He tells me his sister went missing while collecting ingredients just down the river. So I'm like okay I'll go find her remains and get back to you soon, I got stuff to do. Long story short I have now killed the first of three restless sons of a legendary archmage. Main quest will have to wait until tomorrow. Ace game.

Seth C

I'm taking a break from playing to watch some basketball and go out, but we are less than 100 posts away from the milestone. On the first day of release. Incredible really.

(._.)

Banned
epmode said:
I think it's the same price as the standard edition of the guide. The only review I've seen on Itunes says that it's a pretty shitty app/ebook/whatever. Poor indexing, low quality images, etc. You're probably better off with the actual book.
I got it like the idiot I am :[

I got the one for FONV last year and it worked well for me though.

Paches

The edges of that water where it meets the land look hideous, but I am pleased to see they have un-uglied most of the faces.

L00P

I would so get this game right now if I didn't already blew my game budget out :(

November is seriously drowning in games here and there

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The perfect Dark said:
So I played 27 hours but I didn't find a dragon...where are they? I want to fight one :/
Do I have a chance with a sword?

you have to play into the main quest a bit before they start appearing on the regular

KorrZ

So I just played this game for 12 hours straight. Fucking so in love. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of it yet. Magic is super fun, but I feel like I never have enough Magicka. Almost always have to switch to a sword to finish off my fights if I'm taking on more than 2-3 people.

Derrick01

Banned
The perfect Dark said:
So I played 27 hours but I didn't find a dragon...where are they? I want to fight one :/
Do I have a chance with a sword?

You have to do enough of the main quest to get them to randomly show up. Kinda like the Oblivion gates in Oblivion, you had to clear past Kvatch in the main quest before they all spawned on the world map

Zeliard

KorrZ said:
So I just played this game for 12 hours straight. Fucking so in love. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of it yet. Magic is super fun, but I feel like I never have enough Magicka. Almost always have to switch to a sword to finish off my fights if I'm taking on more than 2-3 people.

Mage robes will give you +50% Magicka regen, a significant boost. Naturally they have far less defense than other forms of armor, so you have to measure your priorities there.

MrBig

Traced-Velocity said:
Use this. Still not perfect, but better
Not really what's bothering me. And I'd take blocks over super fuzzy shadows like that.
The daylight system is what I'm talking about. Instead of like in Oblivion and every other game that uses a daylight system, it only updates the shadows on a few second interval and really detracts from the visuals.

KorrZ

Zeliard said:
Mage robes will give you +50% Magicka regen, a significant boost. Naturally they have far less defense than other forms of armor, so you have to measure your priorities there.

Yeah I've found some that give you 75% and 12% less to casting, but I want to be a heavy armor wearing battle mage. I'm hoping that once I get my enchanting up enough I'll be able to put some decent regen on my heavy armor. Right now I can only get it to go to 2%.

Loxley

Pro-tip: lower the opacity of your HUD to 50% in the display options menu, can still see it well during combat but it's not as invasive as having giant starkly colored bars on the borders of your screen.

Immersion, people.

Wallach

Few images of my escapades so far:

Go make daddy proud, son.

JTlYo.jpg

There was an asshole here. I have plans for him, though...

3VfN4.jpg

...like stealing his shoes and forcing him to walk around in the snow in the grip of undeath! Diabolical!

I3SOn.jpg

Krispy

Holy crap. Just found Meridia's shrine. There's a moment halfway through the quest that just blew my mind. <3 Bethesda.

Zeliard

KorrZ said:
Yeah I've found some that give you 75% and 12% less to casting, but I want to be a heavy armor wearing battle mage. I'm hoping that once I get my enchanting up enough I'll be able to put some decent regen on my heavy armor. Right now I can only get it to go to 2%.

Dunno how far you can get it up via enchanting. That's the thing about the mage gear - practically non-existent armor ratings but huge magic buffs. If you go heavy armor you probably have to forgo approaching them in that area.

not sure if it is buried somewhere in this thread but i just now found out you can bind spells/weapons to keys. it has made the game a lot less cumbersome.

1.) Favorite an Item

2.) Hit Q

3.) Highlight item you want hotkeyed

4.) Press number (IE 1,2,3 etc)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Playing this an unhealthy amount (17 hours), so I guess it's successful enough. However, cynical PC gamer rant time!

The loot and quest reward and merchant shop scaling is effectively no different from Oblivion. Everything is level-appropriate at all times. The bandits still wear crappy armor so I guess Bethesda heard the anecdote that everyone likes to use but missed the underlying point.

It just irks me since it's so unnecessary. For example, I check the blacksmith shop for ingots, and they're only selling materials for iron and steel and so forth. I get my smithing up to the level for making Elven, check back again at a higher character level and there are 100 ingots for making Elven armor in the shop. What the hell's the point? You have perk and smithing skill investment requirements of a significant nature to get to that point. You have the monetary investment required to buy the raw materials. Why does it all need to magically appear in the store as soon as it's arbitrarily level appropriate? The barriers to entry are already in place. Why are you still so damn scared of players getting anything too early? It keeps it from feeling like a reward for progress made, instead more like a handout.

The quests tend to be more carefully crafted, however most of them still involve going to a random dungeon in the woods and spending an hour or more clearing it out. Many times this just doesn't actually make any sense at all, and it makes the real quests unnecessarily similar to the shitty randomly generated quests you get from one line of dialogue that also send you to a random dungeon in the woods. Stop making me clear out an hour long cookie cutter dungeon as part of every single quest, Bethesda. Even these Thieves Guild quests...start out in the city doing something interesting, but oh wait, the city location's actually connected to a "grotto" just like in all the other quests that I need to clear out. It's starting to feel like a massive timesink.

So I'm very early on (about 2-3 hours in) if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it, minor spoilers:
Just beat the first dragon, got my shout. Went back to Whiterun and I could have sworn that the Jarl dude said he'd give me a residence or something in town but I don't know where to go to get my house. Maybe I mis-heard him but if someone could let me know I'd appreciate it.

bengraven

Todd Howard once said how excited Bethesda was that there was a NeoGAF Oblivion thread that reached 10,000 replies. That took, I believe, months.

Now we're still on Day 1 of release, the thread has been open for a week, and we're going to surpass 10,000 tonight, easily.

KorrZ

Zeliard said:
Dunno how far you can get it up via enchanting. That's the thing about the mage gear - practically non-existent armor ratings but huge magic buffs. If you go heavy armor you probably have to forgo approaching them in that area.

Well...good thing I haven't put any perks into heavy armor yet. Looks like I'm gonna have to start going with the mage gear. Thanks for the input.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OK a few questions please guys:

1)How is the game overall so far...particularly in comparison to Oblivion, Fallout 3 and the Witcher 2?

2)What is the best class to start with, if I have NEVER played a Bethesda game before and want to have fun and balanced journey?

3)How is the save system? Can you save anywhere? If not, how spread out are the save points?

4)Is the combat good?

Thanks in advance :)

Timber

KorrZ said:
Well...good thing I haven't put any perks into heavy armor yet. Looks like I'm gonna have to start going with the mage gear. Thanks for the input.
I'm going with robes + heavy everything else combo. Seems like a nice middle ground. Got a heavy helmet that gives me +50 magicka.

Seth C

MisterAnderson said:
So I'm very early on (about 2-3 hours in) if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it, minor spoilers:
Just beat the first dragon, got my shout. Went back to Whiterun and I could have sworn that the Jarl dude said he'd give me a residence or something in town but I don't know where to go to get my house. Maybe I mis-heard him but if someone could let me know I'd appreciate it.

You have to speak to the guy beside him to buy it. Costs 5000.

MisterAnderson said:
You have to buy it for 5000 from his assistant.

Just picked up the game but I have work for another 5 hours. I'm looking to get a little feedback on a potential playstyle that I used in Obilivion (and it seemed to work fine) but I never beat the game so I'm not sure if it's a legit route to go overall. Here's what it'd basically look like:

-Mage like character
-Pump up invisibility, one handed weapons/specifically backstab, and conjuration.
-When fighting conjure monster have them go into battle, go invisible, as conjured monster is attacking enemy go behind enemy and backstab, when enemy finally attacks you go invisible again..rinse and repeat.

As I haven't yet played Skyrim I'm not sure if they allow you go invisible in battle like they did in Obilivion. As I said, I never beat Obilivion but I remember this kind of cheesey playstyle working well in that game, but I'd prefer not to create a character style only find out it's bogus later on. Thanks.

isamu said:

1)How is the game overall so far...particularly in comparison to Oblivion, Fallout 3 and the Witcher 2?

2)What is the best class to start with, if I have NEVER played a Bethesda game before and want to have fun and balanced journey?

3)How is the save system? Can you save anywhere? If not, how spread out are the save points?

4)Is the combat good?

1)Better than Oblivion and Fallout 3. Never played Witcher 2
2)There's no 'classes' so to speak, but I'd say the most balanced for new players is to go in one handed with a weapon and the other hand some form of destructive magic
3)Save anywhere. Also, has autosaves
4)Combat is a mix of good and jank. It's definitely not brilliant but it does the job.

Loxley

MisterAnderson said:

If I remember correctly, he said you can now purchase property in town (which is 5000 gold). I don't recall them giving you any place to "live", I could be wrong though.

*edit - beaten

ksimm

This game is EPIC! I have now played 9 hours and still have only touched a tiny portion of the world. I am currently in Mage College at Winterhold, and magic is actually fun in Skyrim. :]

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
JambiBum said:
Does anyone know where Lydia goes if you don't own a house? I accidentally replaced her and I want her back.

She hangs out at the keep in the main hall.

I'm trying to play battle mage style with Flame(thrower) in left and sword in right hand. Also with Heavy Armor, and don't really many problems right now (9 hours in). Does it seem viable later on?

bengraven

isamu said:

I was a bit disappointed by Witcher 2, loved W1, so no comment. Oblivion: much better, much more atmosphere, much more fun, many more secrets even early on. Fallout 3: better laid out world, maybe not as interesting side quests but I'm really early in the game so don't take that very seriously, though I can't wait to see Fallout 4 after the advances made with Skyrim.

No classes. You just use the skills you use and they level on their own. For example, I usually spec a thief/warrior thief yet I've found myself having become a battle mage with heavy armor and strong destro and one handed weapons, despite not intending to. Which is awesome, btw.

Save anywhere. Saves when entering most cells. You can even set it up to save when you open up the character menu! And how often it does, like "save every 5 minutes" when you open the menu.

4)Is the combat good?

A huge improvement over Oblivion. Similar mechanics, but feels so much more brutal.

EviLore said:
Playing this an unhealthy amount (17 hours), so I guess it's successful enough. However, cynical PC gamer rant time!

The loot and quest reward and merchant shop scaling is effectively no different from Oblivion. Everything is level-appropriate at all times. The bandits still wear crappy armor so I guess Bethesda heard the anecdote that everyone likes to use but missed the underlying point.

It just irks me since it's so unnecessary. For example, I check the blacksmith shop for ingots, and they're only selling materials for iron and steel and so forth. I get my smithing up to the level for making Elven, check back again at a higher character level and there are 100 ingots for making Elven armor in the shop. What the hell's the point? You have perk and smithing skill investment requirements of a significant nature to get to that point. You have the monetary investment required to buy the raw materials. Why does it all need to magically appear in the store as soon as it's arbitrarily level appropriate? The barriers to entry are already in place. Why are you still so damn scared of players getting anything too early? It keeps it from feeling like a reward for progress made, instead more like a handout.

The quests tend to be more carefully crafted, however most of them still involve going to a random dungeon in the woods and spending an hour or more clearing it out. Many times this just doesn't actually make any sense at all, and it makes the real quests unnecessarily similar to the shitty randomly generated quests you get from one line of dialogue that also send you to a random dungeon in the woods. Stop making me clear out an hour long cookie cutter dungeon as part of every single quest, Bethesda. Even these Thieves Guild quests...start out in the city doing something interesting, but oh wait, the city location's actually connected to a "grotto" just like in all the other quests that I need to clear out. It's starting to feel like a massive timesink.

That's kind of disappointing to hear, as it's a deliberate design decision that isn't necessarily in the best interest of immersion. I'd be curious as to why exactly they chose to do that (regarding the scaling item shops.) Still, it's something that could be fixed with mods.

Ostinatto

i just killed a dragon

and now i have dragon bones and dragon hides
what should i do with those? they are very heavy cant run with those in my bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom