• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

EviLore said:
It just irks me since it's so unnecessary. For example, I check the blacksmith shop for ingots, and they're only selling materials for iron and steel and so forth. I get my smithing up to the level for making Elven, check back again at a higher character level and there are 100 ingots for making Elven armor in the shop. What the hell's the point? You have perk and smithing skill investment requirements of a significant nature to get to that point. You have the monetary investment required to buy the raw materials. Why does it all need to magically appear in the store as soon as it's arbitrarily level appropriate? The barriers to entry are already in place. Why are you still so damn scared of players getting anything too early? It keeps it from feeling like a reward for progress made, instead more like a handout.

I'm still very early days with the crafting (and really everything else in the game), but yeah, this doesn't seem too promising. Was planning on crafting tons since it seemed to be quite deep and fun with various types of crafting materials and crafting equipment, but if some crafting items are level-appropriate in such a way it seems almost pointless to invest much in it early on.

Fjordson

bengraven said:
Todd Howard once said how excited Bethesda was that there was a NeoGAF Oblivion thread that reached 10,000 replies. That took, I believe, months.

Now we're still on Day 1 of release, the thread has been open for a week, and we're going to surpass 10,000 tonight, easily.
Yeah, sort of crazy. TES really is a massive franchise these days.

MrBig

Ostinatto said:
i just killed a dragon

and now i have dragon bones and dragon hides
what should i do with those? they are very heavy cant run with those in my bag
I've been hording them in my house. No idea as to their use. Probably to make armor and weapons.

EviLore said:
Playing this an unhealthy amount (17 hours), so I guess it's successful enough. However, cynical PC gamer rant time!

The loot and quest reward and merchant shop scaling is effectively no different from Oblivion. Everything is level-appropriate at all times. The bandits still wear crappy armor so I guess Bethesda heard the anecdote that everyone likes to use but missed the underlying point.

It just irks me since it's so unnecessary. For example, I check the blacksmith shop for ingots, and they're only selling materials for iron and steel and so forth. I get my smithing up to the level for making Elven, check back again at a higher character level and there are 100 ingots for making Elven armor in the shop. What the hell's the point? You have perk and smithing skill investment requirements of a significant nature to get to that point. You have the monetary investment required to buy the raw materials. Why does it all need to magically appear in the store as soon as it's arbitrarily level appropriate? The barriers to entry are already in place. Why are you still so damn scared of players getting anything too early? It keeps it from feeling like a reward for progress made, instead more like a handout.

The quests tend to be more carefully crafted, however most of them still involve going to a random dungeon in the woods and spending an hour or more clearing it out. Many times this just doesn't actually make any sense at all, and it makes the real quests unnecessarily similar to the shitty randomly generated quests you get from one line of dialogue that also send you to a random dungeon in the woods. Stop making me clear out an hour long cookie cutter dungeon as part of every single quest, Bethesda. Even these Thieves Guild quests...start out in the city doing something interesting, but oh wait, the city location's actually connected to a "grotto" just like in all the other quests that I need to clear out. It's starting to feel like a massive timesink.
I'm level 23 and the bandits still wear crappy armor (too :p). Doesn't stop some of them from being tough as nails, though.

You're right about the store inventories, those definitely seem to be influenced by your level somewhat. I'll be seeing Elven and Glass stuff appear, though no heavy armors. I just came upon a pair of Orcish gauntlets and damn, that's a special occurence.

I want to find Daedric stuff. :(

SuperSugar

Neo Member
So I opened up my collectors edition and tried to put the dragon together (ugh! I couldn't get it - maybe I was too hyped). Anyway, I get the game going and then my significant other gets home... now I have to wait even longer! The game is 10 feet away, but I can't play until we run a few errands. This thread is really working me up and making me impatient.

EviLore said:
I'm in the mid 20s as well. So uhhh I'm glad we're in agreement?
It's a bit late, my reading comprehension failed. Edited my post to reflect it. ;)

Also, 17 hours and mid twenties already? Dayum son. I'm 39 hours in. :lol

Visceir said:
Do you need all 3 words to learn a new shout?
No, you can use it from the moment you know one of the words. Learning the others just make your shout stronger.

I just randomly came upon an unmarked word wall in the wilderness.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So a Khajiit merchant sold me a Hunting able of Chills, and I can't believe how awesome it is. I intend to take up some nutso enchanting to out frost and fire damage enchants on bows and swords later. Fire DoT is nice, but frost slow is CRAZY good.

This game? A+

whalleywhat said:
No clue how to get to
High Hrothgar.
Travel to Ivarstead. You can reach it by going to Riverwood, then Helgen, and following the road from Helgen, looping around High Hrothgar until you reach it. You'll pass a burned-out alchemist's shop, too.

GhaleonEB

KuroNeeko said:
Enjoyed reading this, but was hoping to hear about your daughter's character. :D
I went first. :p

She just made a Redguard female, a slender beauty with war paint and black, trim hair. She's still in the intro dungeon as I type this, so she's just learning the ropes. We both love the Favorite sysetm - very handy way to pluck out the handful of items we're actually using.

She lameted that you couldn't decapitate someone like the executioner. I heard there's a perk for it but we're not sure what skill tree it's in. Anyone know?

zedge

Bootaaay said:
Do quests for the Jarl of Whiterun, and he'll eventually grant you the rights to buy a house in the city (it costs 5,000).
I think he did. Just killed dragon. Who do you see to buy it? 5000!! Damn I hope I start getting more money soon.only have like 450..:(

Blue Ninja said:
Travel to Ivarstead. You can reach it by going to Riverwood, then Helgen, and following the road from Helgen, looping around High Hrothgar until you reach it. You'll pass a burned-out alchemist's shop, too.
Hmm, I went through there. I'll try again.

cbox

I'm actually using 3rd person when not fighting now, game is a huge improvement over oblivion for sure.

I dropped an extra bow in rivertown and one of the guards told me to not do that, thought that was a cool touch.

Woorloog

Banned
Problems finding your way to somewhere? Go to Whiterun and buy Clairvoyance spell from the court mage. Very useful, shows the route to your current quest marker/objective.

Styles

Played for roughly three hours now, so good. No hiccups for me yet. Oh and the music in Skyrim beats Oblvion's hands down. There's much more variety in this than Oblvion.

Woorloog

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I went first. :p

She just made a Redguard female, a slender beauty with war paint and black, trim hair. She's still in the intro dungeon as I type this, so she's just learning the ropes. We both love the Favorite sysetm - very handy way to pluck out the handful of items we're actually using.

She lameted that you couldn't decapitate someone like the executioner. I heard there's a perk for it but we're not sure what skill tree it's in. Anyone know?
Both One Handed and Two Handed trees have it. 50 skill required for the one handed one, and probably for two handed one as well.

GhaleonEB

Woorloog said:
Both One Handed and Two Handed trees have it. 50 skill required for the one handed one, and probably for two handed one as well.
Thanks, we went back and found it. I was looking for a stand-alone perk, but it's a feature on another. Neato.

Woorloog

Banned
UrokeJoe said:
Is it worth having a horse? If so, what's the best way to get one?
Yes it is, safe place to stash loot and if you get married, your spouse can move to there (and cook and give gifts).
Easiest way to get one? You need 5k gold for the Whiterun home, it is the cheapest one and easiest to gain permission to buy it. You need some extra to buy upgrades which include chests and other stuff. Buy Bedroom upgrade first.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I hated Oblivion and thought Morrowind could be fun if it wasn't so boring and browngrey, and I really, really, REALLY like this game so far. First Dragon word, but can't use it. It's now 3am.

So yeah, you don't have to be a TES fan to like this game!

played about 3 hours so far damn this game is sweet. so smooth on PC as well.... looks even better after i adjusted that stuff in the .ini file!

and then batman AC comes out next week fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom