• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
my first impressions of the PC version after a couple of hours of playing:

I'm a player of more simple arcade games. I must admit I'm not used to western RPGs. Skyrim has me overwhelmed with the interface on PC. I feel like I could make alot of progress in one direction but then get lost. I dunno how I feel. The world is absolutely beautiful, but the system is so simple and easy yet so confusing. Does anyone else feel this way?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm on a slow crawl toward buying my first house. It's funny, it seems that if you do something really good for someone, nearly all of their property suddenly becomes takeable without consequence. So far I've looted
Riverwood Trader, the Jarl's place in Whiterun, and the one lady's house who gave me her key
, all just to sell it back (at rather poor rates) back to NPC stores. Also got my first companion,
the Housecarl Lydia, so now she gets to lug around my junk.

Devin Olsen said:
Climbing Mountains.

Qa2Mll.jpg

KDAcll.jpg

Qb6dTl.jpg

YglTDl.jpg

Oh God I love this post. I wanna climb moutains too.

Alucrid

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Blast Slayer and also Kelly Rowlands Motaviation mixed in, both good music to listen too, but the bizarre mix should scare your neighbors shitless.

I'd blast some noisecore or something if there weren't MY roommates who I don't want to annoy.

I'm loving the game so far. The textures aren't perfect but they are a huge improvement from previous games, obviously.

Does anyone know the measurements of the premium map? I'm considering framing it and I figured someone else is working on that also :p

GhaleonEB

True to our agreement, I went deep into the mountains and my daughter took her game the other way, and is currently exploring a lake. She went swimming for the heck of it and found a sunken socerer's tomb, and raided it.

She's now catching as many bugs and fish as she can, for later use in potions. Chasing a dartwing led her to a set of standing stones, and she now has The Lady's blessing. It's just beautiful and tranquil to explore, and there's clearly interesting stuff all over the place.

Question: what is the indicator for how long you can be under water? We don't see one pop up when she's swimming.

Devin: I did the same thing. Just stood on a peak like that for 15 minutes and watched the night sky evolve.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think the biggest improvement for me is just that the NPCs in towns seem a lot less like stupid AI controlled robots than they did in Oblivion. It's so much better not having 3 or 4 "general" conversation topics that each NPC is forced to have.

An example of how dumb it could get was in Oblivion when a Dremora would attack you - since they are considered an NPC race (although they are evil daedra that live in the Deadlands) you could charm them to 100 disposition and they would tell you about the latest copy of the Black Horse Courier.

Alucrid

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
True to our agreement, I went deep into the mountains and my daughter took her game the other way, and is currently exploring a lake. She went swimming for the heck of it and found a sunken socerer's tomb, and raided it.

She's now catching as many bugs and fish as she can, for later use in potions. Chasing a dartwing led her to a set of standing stones, and she now has The Lady's blessing. It's just beautiful and tranquil to explore, and there's clearly interesting stuff all over the place.

Question: what is the indicator for how long you can be under water? We don't see one pop up when she's swimming.

It must be pretty cool playing this game in tandem with someone.

Piercedveil said:
I'm loving the game so far. The textures aren't perfect but they are a huge improvement from previous games, obviously.

Does anyone know the measurements of the premium map? I'm considering framing it and I figured someone else is working on that also :p

HA that's the first thing I thought of when I unfolded it! How great would that look in a frame?

GhaleonEB said:

Strangely there is no indication, other than when your character starts to struggle for air and your health bar begins to drop.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Goddammit. I played 4 hours yesterday with the 360 pad and loved it. But now, after spending a few hours with mouse/keyboard this afternoon and then trying to go back to the pad, I can't stand it. The lack of precision (while not really necessary in this game) just irritates me when exploring and trying to pick things up.

Guess I'll be playing on small screen for tonight at least.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
HA that's the first thing I thought of when I unfolded it! How great would that look in a frame?

It would look great! Even though the map isn't cloth like I thought it would be, it still looks pretty cool and it'd look awesome framed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
herzogzwei1989 said:
my first impressions of the PC version after a couple of hours of playing:

I'm a player of more simple arcade games. I must admit I'm not used to western RPGs. Skyrim has me overwhelmed with the interface on PC. I feel like I could make alot of progress in one direction but then get lost. I dunno how I feel. The world is absolutely beautiful, but the system is so simple and easy yet so confusing. Does anyone else feel this way?
Elder Scrolls games are the exact opposite of a linear games - it's intentionally designed in such a way encourage sidetracking into a random bandit cave. If you hate the idea of being sidetracked on missions, you'll probably just not like the series too much.

UrokeJoe

Woorloog said:
Yes it is, safe place to stash loot and if you get married, your spouse can move to there (and cook and give gifts).
Easiest way to get one? You need 5k gold for the Whiterun home, it is the cheapest one and easiest to gain permission to buy it. You need some extra to buy upgrades which include chests and other stuff. Buy Bedroom upgrade first.

hehe thanks, I'll get one of those too.

Anyways I missed this in an earlier post. Apparently so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBVtyngOdeY

Awesome!!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I think my Conan will invest in the block/2h/1h/heavy armor/blacksmithing perks. I'll wait a bit on blacksmithing though.

Just had my first lockup on the PS3 in the first dungeon. Thank god I save often, only an hour or 2 in and I'm having fun, combat is really clunky so I'll be trying to improve my magic so I can rely on that, soundtrack is fantastic. I'm excited to explore this world more tomorrow.

GhaleonEB

Alucrid said:
It must be pretty cool playing this game in tandem with someone.
It really is. She and I have totally different play styles and interests, and going in other directions makes it seem like we're playing different games entirely.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
All the minor tweaks and changes make this shit so much more fun to me than oblivion. They hired the guy who did the balance mods for the game right?

CyReN

Need help.
I'm running into a draugr deathlord (not overlord like in the first "boss fight".) He can kill be with 1 arrow hit, any ideas?

I got swept by the hype and before I realize it, I already bought it on Steam. damn digital download, so easy to spend money on them. I still have Batman AC, Dark Souls, and UC3 mp to play. :(

edit: I haven't even follow this game other than trailer. I hope it's good. although I like Oblivion

Seeing the videos and seeing the game earlier today, I can't believe they made the third person view really good. It wasn't so great in Oblivion and Fallout 3. But it's good in Skyrim.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
QisTopTier said:
All the minor tweaks and changes make this shit so much more fun to me than oblivion. They hired the guy who did the balance mods for the game right?

No, Obsidian did and he worked on New Vegas.

Complistic

whalleywhat said:
The dragon fights are easily my favorite part of the game so far. So epic. Sometimes it pays to be a Dunmer.

Had an epic fight with a frost dragon, it grabbed Lydia and tossed her a good 100 feet into the side of a house, she amazingly got up and rejoined the fight and we proceeded to bust it's ass down.

jfkgoblue

Woorloog said:
Yes it is, safe place to stash loot and if you get married, your spouse can move to there (and cook and give gifts).
Easiest way to get one? You need 5k gold for the Whiterun home, it is the cheapest one and easiest to gain permission to buy it. You need some extra to buy upgrades which include chests and other stuff. Buy Bedroom upgrade first.
he said horse, not house

Xevren

Woorloog said:

I read this and was so puzzled. Then I realized because he said horse and you thought house.

mik83kuu

Banned
Woorloog said:
UrokeJoe said:
Is it worth having a horse? If so, what's the best way to get one?

Haha I'm dying here :-D

Insaniac

Okay guys, as someone who has sunk hundreds of hours into Dark Souls already, would Skyrim be up my alley? Everyone who tells me says its amazing (and I know it is) but I just keep hesitating because I'm not sure if its really my style of RPG (ie Dark Souls, Diablo-ish, borderlands-ish) in terms of their RPG / character building system

MustacheBandit_ said:
not sure if it is buried somewhere in this thread but i just now found out you can bind spells/weapons to keys. it has made the game a lot less cumbersome.

1.) Favorite an Item

2.) Hit Q

3.) Highlight item you want hotkeyed

4.) Press number (IE 1,2,3 etc)
Wow shit, thanks for unearthing that, just saw it. I was trying to figure out how to do this. Will make things so much smoother.

web01

Lydia is amazing, in all honesty she is more
OP than Boone in New Vegas. I am playing on the hardest
difficulty and she can tank enemies for minutes that can
kill me in 1 hit. Very useful as I am playing a pure archer.
And I must say archery is hugely improved from oblivion
it is actually fun now.

zlatko

Banned
Question about books and stealing:

So I've been pretty much stealing every book I run across, and items too, but just now I realized you can't sell stolen goods. Is there any reason to hold onto books you stole, or items for that matter?

I'm also unsure of how to level myself in this game compared to Fallout 3 and New Vegas. It's far less linear to me, and I'm confused on where to put in points in perks when I level. I would LIKE to be an amazing mage who can also assassinate fools, but I can't tell which magic to focus on or what stealth stuff to do either. Hell can you even get more than one perk tree maxed in this game ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom