• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

web01 said:
Lydia is amazing, in all honesty she is more
OP than Boone in New Vegas. I am playing on the hardest
difficulty and she can tank enemies for minutes that can
kill me in 1 hit. Very useful as I am playing a pure archer.
And I must say archery is hugely improved from oblivion
it is actually fun now.

Haha Boone. Dude was an absolute monster, broken even. Was he ever toned down in later patches?

So I'm playing an archer, but I'm struggling with it. My Archery doesn't level fast at all, and it doesn't seem to have a lot of power behind it. Anyone else struggling with this?

Insaniac said:
Okay guys, as someone who has sunk hundreds of hours into Dark Souls already, would Skyrim be up my alley? Everyone who tells me says its amazing (and I know it is) but I just keep hesitating because I'm not sure if its really my style of RPG (ie Dark Souls, Diablo-ish, borderlands-ish) in terms of their RPG / character building system

I've never played Dark Souls, but YES YES YES YES YES YES.

Blackface

Banned
So I have a question.

You need to absorb a dragon soul for shouts. I have a "fire" shout that won't allow me to use it.

I just killed a Dragon, and it still won't let me use the Fire shout.

Question, why do traders buy your loot for so much less than it says it's worth? Are the items more valuable elsewhere? Or is there another reason for this?

Where in Whiterun can I buy house upgrades?

Loving the game so far. Only about 8 hours in but I think it is safe to say this is my favorite TES title of all time.

Teknoman

About 1 handed directional power attacks: I just hold the attack button and then the direction I want to swing right? Also just found out you can bash an enemy with your shield by holding it, then holding attack.

Insaniac said:
Okay guys, as someone who has sunk hundreds of hours into Dark Souls already, would Skyrim be up my alley? Everyone who tells me says its amazing (and I know it is) but I just keep hesitating because I'm not sure if its really my style of RPG (ie Dark Souls, Diablo-ish, borderlands-ish) in terms of their RPG / character building system

herzogzwei1989 said:
I've never played Dark Souls, but YES YES YES YES YES YES.

Well, I've never played Skyrim (I haven't picked it up my pre-order), but NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.
One thing Bethesda is known for in all their games is big open & empty fields with thinly spread out combat & terrible loot.
You probably won't like it.

Jokergrin

zlatko said:
Question about books and stealing:

So I've been pretty much stealing every book I run across, and items too, but just now I realized you can't sell stolen goods. Is there any reason to hold onto books you stole, or items for that matter?

I'm also unsure of how to level myself in this game compared to Fallout 3 and New Vegas. It's far less linear to me, and I'm confused on where to put in points in perks when I level. I would LIKE to be an amazing mage who can also assassinate fools, but I can't tell which magic to focus on or what stealth stuff to do either. Hell can you even get more than one perk tree maxed in this game ?

Someone answer these please. lol

angelfly

I want to sell all my dragon bones and scales but I'm not sure if I'll regret it later if I happen to need them for a weapon or armor upgrade. Together they're 205 of my 320 carry weight.

So I bought me a horse. We went out adventuring together. My horse was a loyal companion. I was attacked by bandits, and he not only defended me, he chased bandits down and massacred them. So I was on my horse heading to another side quest, and met a dragon. My horse tried his best to defend me, but in the end, the dragon won out and slayed my horse.

RIP Horse.

P.S. Stealing horses for now on.

Moaradin

Kyoufu said:
Is this game worth picking up if I detest Oblivion?

I didn't like Oblivion compared to Morrowind, but I'm loving this. Outside of the UI, everything is great. Only other complaint really is probably the dumbed down attributes.

Cutwolf

Anyone else having problems with Skyrim just randomly completely closing? PC version.

No errors, no messages, no freezes. Just vanishes and you're back at desktop.

UrokeJoe

nastynate409 said:
So I bought me a horse. We went out adventuring together. My horse was a loyal companion. I was attacked by bandits, and he not only defended me, he chased bandits down and massacred them. So I was on my horse heading to another side quest, and met a dragon. My horse tried his best to defend me, but in the end, the dragon won out and slayed my horse.

RIP Horse.

P.S. Stealing horses for now on.

My question has been answered. Thank you! I'm saving my gold for a house.

I wonder if they are as loyal if stolen though?

Sotha Sil

Got my ass kicked by Falmers last night, and it was actually great. I tried a few strategies (fire runes; turning their traps against them) and managed to kill a few of them (I was out of healing potions, and they can kill a 5 lvl mage in a few hits/arrows). Eventually, I decided I'd return later. Running away from stuff shouldn't make me happy, but it felt so much like Morrowind that I couldn't help it. An Elder Scroll world should be both beautiful and menacing at low level.

scy

angelfly said:
I want to sell all my dragon bones and scales but I'm not sure if I'll regret it later if I happen to need them for a weapon or armor upgrade. Together they're 205 of my 320 carry weight.

Buy a house, I suppose; that is my plan since, yeah, it's dominating my weight capacity. There does seem to be
Dragon Smithing
so I wouldn't start selling them off quite yet.

Cutwolf said:
Anyone else having problems with Skyrim just randomly completely closing? PC version.

Literally just had this happen (hence why I'm even posting anyway!). No idea what's with that but it's also the only time out of 10 hours of playing so far.

On that note, Master difficulty on my first run with a Stealthy Archer is being kind of rough when I'm not abusing Sneak Attacks :/

Teknoman

Alucrid said:
Neighbors are blasting dubstep. I can't play Skyrim like this...

Go buy a subwoofer and then cast a destruction spell of your choice.

EDIT: I think Expert is the perfect challenging difficulty.

Spokeys

Is anyone else having trouble with the UI scrolling being unresponsive on the 360 version? Many times it won't register that I even moved my analog stick so it gets stuck. It's especially frustrating with perk selection.

Cutwolf said:

How do I fix the crash to desktop?

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound
2. In the Playback tab, right click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties
3. In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu

Teknoman

Moaradin said:
I didn't like Oblivion compared to Morrowind, but I'm loving this. Outside of the UI, everything is great. Only other complaint really is probably the dumbed down attributes.

This, minus being fine with the attribute system.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What would you guys say is the best one handed weapon type? I've been using maces and that armor ignore on the mace perk seems really good.

Sotha Sil

IMACOMPUTA said:
Is there any way to call your horse to you ? What happens if you leave it somewhere and can't find it?

Horse, not house.

It usually pops up next to you when you fast-travel between locations.

Teknoman

See You Next Wednesday said:
Well, I've never played Skyrim (I haven't picked it up my pre-order), but NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.
One thing Bethesda is known for in all their games is big open & empty fields with thinly spread out combat & terrible loot.
You probably won't like it.

Dark/Demon's doesnt really have all that much loot either, but you might not like the combat.

krameriffic said:
You want strange, join the Dark Brotherhood.
I've been trying, not sure if I'm on the right path but we'll see ;-)

Man, I pretty much have played for most of the day, I haven't done that with a game in many years.

Sotha Sil

Reuenthal said:
I don't want to jinx it but Skyrim hasn't crushed even once. For the time I have been playing it that is a first for a Bethesda game.

You fool. I just said this a few hours ago and got a loading screen freeze. Jinxed!

UrokeJoe

QisTopTier said:
What would you guys say is the best one handed weapon type? I've been using maces and that armor ignore on the mace perk seems really good.

Would like to know as well.. I've also been using a mace, but would prefer an axe or awesome sword. Gotta have some magic in my left hand. Loving that.

gblues

Banned
I must say, I love my wife who went out and got my copy of Skyrim for me so it'd be ready when I got home from work.

Now I'm just waiting for the patch to download. So close!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Just thought I'd put my $0.02 in this thread.

To be honest I'm pretty disappointed with the game so far. The dragons are cool but so much of this game feels dated. With it being roughly 5 and a half years since Oblivion I was expecting more.

Put it this way... Oblivion in 2006 was a hell of a lot better of a game than Skyrim is in 2011 if you catch my drift.

Pollux

Two questions.

1. I'm lvl 13 and have been playing mainly as a sword and board tank. I really want to roll an archer/assassin/thief. Is it too late to run back to the stone things and choose a different sign and play the game completely differently?

2. Is it possible to actually take down dragons with dual daggers?

Baron Aloha said:
Just thought I'd put my $0.02 in this thread.

To be honest I'm pretty disappointed with the game so far. The dragons are cool but so much of this game feels dated. With it being roughly 5 and a half years since Oblivion I was expecting more.

Put it this way... Oblivion in 2006 was a hell of a lot better of a game than Skyrim is in 2011 if you catch my drift.

Not sure if serious....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom