• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
3chopl0x said:
Is being a vampire actually any good in this game? Was lame in Oblivion.
Haven't seen any vampires yet, dunno if they're suited well to the cold weather, but there's something similar but way cooler, and actually super useful/overpowered.

Reuenthal said:
I don't want to jinx it but Skyrim hasn't crashed even once. For the time I have been playing it that is a first for a Bethesda game.
The only "freeze" I encountered was at the very beginning when the executioner lays your head down on the block. For some reason the guy who is standing beside him walked away into the wall (and continued to try to walk through it) while the dragon flew around forever.

I had to load an auto save. Since then it's been smooth.

nyong

Banned
Employee at Gamestop said the retail PC version was the best selling. By far. In fact, it sold out. Color me surprised.

Echoplx

Dance In My Blood said:
Haven't seen any vampires yet, dunno if they're suited well to the cold weather, but there's something similar but way cooler, and actually super useful/overpowered.

You actually get resist frost when you're a vampire (just looked it up) but the negatives are too much for my play style.

I plan on becoming the cooler thing :) Could you give me a hint on how?

On a "decent" rig: i7 2.8Ghz, GTX 460 1GB and 4GB RAM:
Lg3WE.jpg

1GXPt.jpg

BUT, best thing was loot:
NvaIt.jpg

Have to take down a tough ass named mob, well, easy when mob can be bugged...

Teknoman said:
Dark/Demon's doesnt really have all that much loot either, but you might not like the combat.

Well from what I'm seeing from the wiki, Skyrim has 15 armor sets vs Dark Souls 50+ armor sets.
Skyrim has 7 weapon categories vs Dark Souls 21 weapon categories.

Considering Skyrim is a much longer game & the loot is spread out much more, it definitely matters.

Agentnibs

Been playing the game for a few hours now and I'm in love! Dragons are freaking amazing!

One funny thing Ive noticed is that you can ride the butterfly lol

Khezu

3chopl0x said:
Is being a vampire actually any good in this game? Was lame in Oblivion.

Still weird oblivion style vampires, where you are only powerful when you don't feed, and if you don't feed everyone hates and wants to kill you, to much effort for not enough benefit.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
zmoney said:
Not sure if serious....

I can assure you I am completely serious. I'm just not feeling this one so far. I don't like the world design. It was much easier to get around in Oblivion. Too many damn mountains in this game. Not saying my opinion won't change but so far this game hasn't really hooked me like Morrowind, Oblivion, or Shivering Isles did.

Kwixotik

Do containers reset? I came upon a house in the wilderness whose inhabitant became hostile. I killed the person. Can I commandeer their house now?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
3chopl0x said:
You actually get resist frost when you're a vampire (just looked it up) but the negatives are too much for my play style.

I plan on becoming the cooler thing :) Could you give me a hint on how?
Help out the Companions in Whitefall (I think).

web01

nastynate409 said:
So I'm playing an archer, but I'm struggling with it. My Archery doesn't level fast at all, and it doesn't seem to have a lot of power behind it. Anyone else struggling with this?

Get the blessing that allows you to level combat skils quicker.
Get the zoom in perk as soon as possible. Use stealth to get sneak attacks.
Also when you engage from long distances its possible to get multiple sneak attacks.
Poisons are also very useful if you use archery.

Pollux

Baron Aloha said:
I can assure you I am completely serious. I'm just not feeling this one so far. I don't like the world design. It was much easier to get around in Oblivion. Too many damn mountains in this game. Not saying my opinion won't change but so far this game hasn't really hooked me like Morrowind, Oblivion, or Shivering Isles did.
Fair enough. I just didn't know if you were kidding or not. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

How far in are you?

Cutwolf said:
Anyone else having problems with Skyrim just randomly completely closing? PC version.

No errors, no messages, no freezes. Just vanishes and you're back at desktop.
Yeah and it's getting progressively more common.. I have no idea what to do to fix it. (don't suggest the speaker setting "fix", I've already tried that and it's still happening.)

Teknoman

Baron Aloha said:

I guess thats why I like it more. Elevation/mountains/towers in RPGs always get me.

jacket320

GhaleonEB said:
On the 360, how do you pick up an object and manipulate it?

I think I read on a previous page that you press and hold the action button

*i do not have the game but have been following the thread... so Im sorry if that's not correct :)

LuchaShaq

Banned
So torn with my orc. Want to use 2H but the flexibility of the 1h perks for dual wielding and sometimes using spells might be too much to pass up. Have avoided using my perks so far.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone know where I can find some dwarven ore/metal near Whiterun-ish? I know IGN listed a place near Riften, but I imagine I'll be prepared for way better armor by the time I get all the way there

Talka

So the graphics (on the PS3 version at least) are kind of shit. As are the animations, voice acting and writing.

I know these games are really about scope and immersion, but it's been five years since Oblivion. The graphical improvements are just flat out unimpressive. And they couldn't have hired some professional voice actors, or at least a better writer?

I'm sure I'll come to love this game the way I came to love Morrowind and Oblivion, but it hasn't made a strong first impression.

Question, why do traders buy your loot for so much less than it says it's worth? Are the items more valuable elsewhere? Or is there another reason for this?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
LuchaShaq said:
So torn with my orc. Want to use 2H but the flexibility of the 1h perks for dual wielding and sometimes using spells might be too much to pass up. Have avoided using my perks so far.

You can always put down your 2H and shoot a few spells off. That's what I'm doing with my Nord.

How varied is the world? Maybe I just haven't played it enough but it all just seems like snow and trees. Like the mountain areas in Oblivion only much more pretty.

Pollux

Squall ASF said:
Question, why do traders buy your loot for so much less than it says it's worth? Are the items more valuable elsewhere? Or is there another reason for this?
they like screwing you over. get that speech skill up and you'll get better prices.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Punching everything to death!

Only using magic and bows.

Chuck Fuckin Norris is back!

Love the game thus far...um...can someone pm where to buy light armor skill? :S

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Probably beaten to death, but how do I switch back from magic to my shield again, every time I use magic I have to re-equip my shield in the menu screen, ridiculous.

Pollux

mattiewheels said:
Probably beaten to death, but how do I switch back from magic to my shield again, every time I use magic I have to re-equip my shield in the menu screen, ridiculous.
Put the shield and spell on your favorites and it makes it much easier.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Just made a long trek through the mountains and the game decided to freeze up on me for the 2nd time in 2 days. Now I get to make the trip all over again. Great.

Ducky_McGee said:
How varied is the world? Maybe I just haven't played it enough but it all just seems like snow and trees. Like the mountain areas in Oblivion only much more pretty.

That's all I've seen so far. Snow, trees, and rocks.

Ducky_McGee said:

It's pretty varied, given the restrictions of being set in a cold and harsh environment. The lighting has a lot to do with it as well, as certain areas look drastically different under certain weather conditions and at different times of day.

If you're looking for something a bit more outlandish though, head to the area north of Riften.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
FlyinJ said:
You can always put down your 2H and shoot a few spells off. That's what I'm doing with my Nord.
I don't know. I've got a 2h orc warrior and switching to spells has such a delay that I just don't bother

Okay so i changed the controls to Call of Skyrim (A to jump, X go activate, Y to sheath) because I've never been able to stomach Y jumping. Customisable controls are brilliant. A colour manual too? Damn, Beth, why you so good to me?

After uninstalling and clearing cache I can definitely see the difference. There's still some discrepancies in textures at times, however. I guess it's to be expected.

So anyway.. Gameplay? Much improved from Oblivion. It's a little weird how blocking saps your health rather than stamina (and how jumping isn't linked either) but with regen it's fine. I've just gone through the
gold claw[\spoiler] area. First thing I do when I get out? Run with some rabbits, of course!

gate777

So I started the quest
with the golden claw
and I got my ass kicked by the
3 skeletons

I'm using an axe, would a sword do better damage?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
After approximately 7 hours of gameplay

Level 6
5 days passed (21 hours slept)
10 locations discovered
3 dungeons cleared
42 people killed
17 animals
28 undead
119 items stolen
1 days spent as a werewolf fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yesssssssssss
Many many evil beings hoisted upon my huge skyforged sword. My gameplay has gravitated towards two handed sword combat, just destroying motherfuckers some times in one hit. This game is gorgeous. Walking is just a bit on the other side of tedious, however it's so beautiful and varied and so much to just stumble upon and discover, it's unfair. It's unfair! I tried to take a break two hours ago! "Alright, I'll finish this quest, then return back to this girl to tell her what happened, then I'm good." But noooooooooooo, HERE'S ANOTHER MISSION! Oh, that sounds simple! I can do that quick! BAM another 40 minutes gone. Fuck this game! It's TOO GOOD!

Oh yea, my character. I unconsciously gravitated toward making him basically Idris Elba from Thor.
VELq9.jpg

1vWBw.jpg

I am the king of badasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom