• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimfya

Banned
Pro Tp: stuck finding a way up a mountain? Horses are the ultimate ATV.

I couldn't find a way to High Hothgar so steal a horse, point in any direction and watch as it glitches it's way up the hill. Rocks, snow, it don't care. Horses. Rock on. I went so high I had to double back and go down again.

So what's up with equip items? I have a 'hood' and a 'robe' figured one would be helmet and other chest but I can't equip at the same time. What's up with that?

Anybody?

Can't find any specifics in the manual and looked on the Wiki, looks like Curaiss and Greaves were combined to form "Armor"

So you have 4 things you can select it seems. But why is a 'hood' the same as a 'robe'. When I just equip the hood my character is pretty much naked except for the top.

I don't get it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wilsongt said:
"Oh, this looks like an interesting room... wait... what... Did that skeleton just come to life?! Shit shit hist*fire fire fire fire fire fire fire*"

Dear lord, the place where you
get your first shout
was nuts.
Pressure plate luring
saved my life multiple times.

Bread

Banned
I started my stealthy archer Night Elf today, halfway to level 9 now. I fucking LOVE sneaking around and taking out bandits one by one with the bow and arrow. It's so satisfying to use 4 arrows on 4 people. This game is everything I hoped for in a sequel to Oblivion (never played Morrowind).

stolin

Pumpkins said:
Anyone here liking Skyrim after disliking Oblivion...?
I'm on the fence about picking up Skyrim.

calder said:
Combat is fun, but playing as a mage is AWESOME. So glad I didn't go my usual thief/ranged character.
I didn't hate Oblivion but I didn't come close to finishing it (fucking bugged vampirism cure), and I'm liking Skyrim a fair bit more so far.

Dr Eggman said:
I didn't like Oblivion yet I bought Skyrim. Why?

Here's my first impressions after the first 5-6 hours. FYI, I really didn't like Oblivion, it was boring, slow, clunky & too buggy. I got Skyrim on the idea that all the things that I saw as problems have been addressed.

IMO, the visual are better, yet mixed quality. The grand scale & vistas are great. The story is better for me. Dialog & voice are better, etc...

But, and this is a big one for me.. the combat is terrible, melee combat is just archaic. After just getting Platinum on both Dark Souls & Batman AC & prepping for Zelda Skyward Sword, playing Skyrim combat is a struggle. I have now changed my character to go with a dual caster mage since the melee is so weak for me. There is no fineness or skill, just try and align the cursor and button mash a single button to flail around, there is no satisfaction on making a strike. This really needs to evolve.

Also in the previews & videos it seemed like they fixed the 3rd person camera for playing. There are no changes from Oblivion. There's just a character model rendered on a basic FPS view with an orbit camera on a stick.

I'm going to keep playing since this game should be like the holy grail for me, and most parts hit that, it's the combat that is a complete turn-off.. again...

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Seriously, why did no one say the mission structure went like this? I am a man who does things linearly. You want me to do this, come back to you, we're supposed to be done. You ain't supposed to say, yo, I got more shit to do, let's get it son. That ain't what I'M ABOUT. Ain't no sleep for the wicked. I grind til there's nothing left. They're killing me with this shit, it's so fucking addictive. Fucking evil drug of a game! A GAME THAT WILL NEVER END!!

Nevermind my question on the last page, I found default controls for PC. Man I just loving this so far, i'm just a few hours in and basicly screwing around. I stole I horse, rode around for awhile and eventually got caught. Man this is so much damn fun. Bethesda has improved so much over Oblivion it's not even funny. Sure the visuals are not perfect nor are the controls, but besides that and a few bugs, Skyrim is amazing. I just got really really high too, while playing. I haven't gotten so high in months. Combine that with the amazingness that is Skyrim and it made me trip the fuck out. Good times.

Styles

Had my very first double knock out against a Dragon, lol. The favourites tab is very handy since magic this time around is a lot of fun to use and so I think I'll be focusing on that in this playthrough.

Sotha Sil

Question for non-english speaking Gaf: are locations and family names translated in-game? It's so damn annoying in French (locations are translated, but signs aren't). I'll play it in English later on the PC, but no way around it on consoles.

SpeedingUptoStop

I've straight up stolen a fuckton of shit already in this game. Gold fucking everywhere. 2300 pieces and counting, playing with these millions like they ain't nothin straight one hunned stuntin over here BELEADAT

Pollux

I've solved my dilemma regarding wanting my warrior to be able to do archery/magic/stealth crap. I still want him to focus on the pure combat heavy armor stuff.

But, I'm just going to buy a bow and run around shooting shit and use that with the DB armor for a while. go find some dungeons and just use magic and archery. if shit gets crazy
I can just turn into a big badass werewolf

Fjordson

zmoney said:
I've solved my dilemma regarding wanting my warrior to be able to do archery/magic/stealth crap. I still want him to focus on the pure combat heavy armor stuff.

But, I'm just going to buy a bow and run around shooting shit and use that with the DB armor for a while. go find some dungeons and just use magic and archery. if shit gets crazy
I can just turn into a big badass werewolf
Archery is really, really awesome. I usually switch out when I get rushed, but I'm doing some beastly damage to open up fights.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The game has been out for 24 hours here...I have 14 hours logged. God damn.

This game is amazing. I've only killed 2 dragons, have a ton of active quests, and went out of my way to get to Riften for the amulent to get married. Now I just need a damn house, especially to store all this heavy dragon stuff I don't want to sell. Still need ~2000.

Pollux

Fjordson said:
Archery is really, really awesome. I usually switch out when I get rushed, but I'm doing some beastly damage to open up fights.
Which is why i'm extremely divided. I LOVE the archery in this game and I'm only lvl 12 so I think I might trigger the thief archstone and go as an assassin from now on. I already have all the sword skills that could support me when people get in close, and then I'll level up destruction too while I'm at it for some extra damage support.

What class of spells are people using to raise zombies like dead bandits and saber cats?

Arde5643

Fjordson said:
The best is sneaking around with a bow shooting things on the back of the head after taking out the torches.

Straight out Thief style.

Visceir

Really disliked oblivion, enjoying Skyrim.

I knew the melee combat would be turd and went with pure archer/sneak character. Lvl 14 female wood elf, the beginning involved quite a bit of kiting and cheesing (using the traps in the dwarf dungeon against my enemies) but now my character is starting to feel really poweful. 90% of my kills are from sneak attacks (3x damage) and I usually drop undead type monsters before they manage to crawl out of their tomb...or they simply just don't hear me at all. Just managed to down a dragon without any npc help, Frost Breath is my current favorite shout.

Fjordson

zmoney said:
Which is why i'm extremely divided. I LOVE the archery in this game and I'm only lvl 12 so I think I might trigger the thief archstone and go as an assassin from now on.

Arde5643 said:
The best is sneaking around with a bow shooting things on the back of the head after taking out the torches.

Straight out Thief style.

Yeah, I'm sort of morphing into an assassin. Was archery from a far, sword and board up close, but I might start dual wielding.

Was watching a friend play as a dual-wielder and the executions are bad ass.

SpeedingUptoStop

Haven't even touched archery since I tried to kill those wolves in the beginning and the arrows flew like two feet. I dunno if it was a shit bow or if I was doing it wrong, but I got a way better bow since and I always keep the arrows I come across. Dunno if I'll give it a shot until again til I come across dragons finally because stabbing shit with the greatsword is way too trill.

bengraven

Red eyed. Bought first house. Ran around tundra but still never found another major location like a village or city (fucking HUUUUUUUUGE).

Joined Companions but haven't really done any of their quests. Just wanted a place to crash...which is funny because I realized I could afford a house like 10 minutes later.

Pollux

bengraven said:
Red eyed. Bought first house. Ran around tundra but still never found another major location like a village or city (fucking HUUUUUUUUGE).

Joined Companions but haven't really done any of their quests. Just wanted a place to crash...which is funny because I realized I could afford a house like 10 minutes later.
Stick with the companions because a couple quests in shit gets REAL. i wouldn't lie to you man. you know me.

Trent Strong said:
Darks are too dark. Can't see anything in the shade.
There's a perk for that....

T Ghost

First session: 5 hours.

Can't stop... HELP!!!

BUT...

It's probably the ugliest game I've played in the last 2-3 year. Got dang it, this game's visual is straight UGLY!! Sometimes it feels like an Original Xbox title or a 2005 Xbox 360 game.

Combat is horrible as well. That said, everything else in this game is gaming heaven.

zoku88

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Haven't even touched archery since I tried to kill those wolves in the beginning and the arrows flew like two feet. I dunno if it was a shit bow or if I was doing it wrong, but I got a way better bow since and I always keep the arrows I come across. Dunno if I'll give it a shot until again til I come across dragons finally because stabbing shit with the greatsword is way too trill.
Did you hold down the left-click?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lol, my companion took a lot of damage in a fight, and she went into injured mode. She healed, but she's still hobbling around like she's almost dead. So now I have this woman crawling behind me where ever I go.

edit - smacking her with my war axe snapped her out of it

Arde5643

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Bow and arrows definitely is more suited to the stealth based sniping approach though - so if you want to just go in and wreck shit, it's better to just go melee and magic.

Papercuts

Highlight of the everything:

1. A dragon attacked me right next to a giant's camp. Me, a giant, and 2 mammoths proceed to fuck its day up. Then ALL OF THE ENEMIES GO AFTER ME. I book it to unknown ground, find a bandit ruin with atleast 6 people, shooting magic and arrows and shit at me while the giant and mammoths are chasing me. I killed all the bandits(barely), chilled on a rock and took out the giant with arrows. Then I just dual wield fire magic, run around kamahameha-ing these mammoths with fire until they die. I can't even hold all the loot I got from this.

2. It was dark and rainy, I saw a fox run out ahead of me onto a path. Everything was so calm and peaceful. Oh god a giant spider just leaped out of a bush...wait it ran past me? what is it doing? BAM, pounces on the fox, kills it in one hit, then just scurries off not giving a damn about me.

Izayoi

Banned
Outside of not being able to find where they hid the horizontal sensitivity setting for the 360 controller on PC, this game is fucking awesome.

That feel as soon as you step out of the caves, man. ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

SpeedingUptoStop

zoku88 said:
Did you hold down the left-click?
There it is, yep. Did not do that.

The tutorial portion of this game wasn't very much at alllllll.

How much cash do you need for a house? I got money but I haven't felt the urge to buy anything yet. I ain't even stupid rich enough to feel like training is worth it though.

balddemon

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
There it is, yep. Did not do that.

The tutorial portion of this game wasn't very much at alllllll.

How much cash do you need for a house? I got money but I haven't felt the urge to buy anything yet. I ain't even stupid rich enough to feel like training is worth it though.

lol what tutorial?

btw i'm still lost :(
edit: holy shit just found the exit...boy am i blind...

Fjordson

bengraven said:

You won't regret delving further into their quest line. It's fantastic.

bengraven

zmoney said:
Stick with the companions because a couple quests in shit gets REAL. i wouldn't lie to you man. you know me.

Fjordson said:

Oh I know what that is, and that's the biggest reason I'm putting it off. I always do those kind of badass "gaming changing" quests until much later on.

I'm very happy the fighter's guild quests are now awesome though.

Let's hope the mage's guild quests are too. Still haven't heard much on them.

Fuck, I just realized I haven't even gotten an invite to the Thieves Guild.

Man this game is so awsome. I was so burned out on "bethesda" style games. But this one feels very diffrent then Fallout 3 or ES4. Fantastic!

Wish there was another way to get storage besides buying a house :(

SpeedingUptoStop

Fjordson said:
I've only just
killed the werewolf hunter leader, the something Hand clan, and
this plotline is totally satisfying my bloodlust.
I can't believe how fucking raw it was taking her out too. She saw me coming with the GreatSword forged by Eauland the OG and the shit was done in seconds, she got GOT, intestines all severed and shit, hoisted sky high
. BLOODLUST!! GRAAAHHH SKYRIM!!
I'm probably not even close to being down with the Companions am I.

legbone

amazing game. game of the year for me and i didn't even like oblivion. maybe i just didn't give it enough of a chance. a couple of problems though. my backlog is going to be bigger than ever thanks to this wonderful game. i'm also having a little bit of "choice" paralysis. don't know how to spend my perks cause i'm afraid of fucking up. really want to get into smithing but i'm not sure what it will be good for since you seem to find lots of weapons and armors. hopefully i have enough points for everything i'm interested in (two handed, sword and board, archery, and smithing). that's like 5 different constellations. damn i wish there was a respec option.

cbox

Papercuts said:
Highlight of the everything:

1. A dragon attacked me right next to a giant's camp. Me, a giant, and 2 mammoths proceed to fuck its day up. Then ALL OF THE ENEMIES GO AFTER ME. I book it to unknown ground, find a bandit ruin with atleast 6 people, shooting magic and arrows and shit at me while the giant and mammoths are chasing me. I killed all the bandits(barely), chilled on a rock and took out the giant with arrows. Then I just dual wield fire magic, run around kamahameha-ing these mammoths with fire until they die. I can't even hold all the loot I got from this.

2. It was dark and rainy, I saw a fox run out ahead of me onto a path. Everything was so calm and peaceful. Oh god a giant spider just leaped out of a bush...wait it ran past me? what is it doing? BAM, pounces on the fox, kills it in one hit, then just scurries off not giving a damn about me.

This is amazing!

bengraven said:

The dungeons the mage's guild sends you to are great, but I felt that the storyline as a whole was a bit underwhelming and you seem to advance through the ranks very quickly.

Papercuts

bengraven said:
Oh I know what that is, and that's the biggest reason I'm putting it off. I always do those kind of badass "gaming changing" quests until much later on.

I'm very happy the fighter's guild quests are now awesome though.

Fuck, I just realized I haven't even gotten an invite to the Thieves Guild.

I got an invite there earlier, but there's too much shit to do, so I'm putting it off for now. 24 hour days aren't enough. ;_;

Wallach

ConvenientBox said:
has this happened to anyone else?

http://i.imgur.com/S22li.jpg

I took care of his hired goons in 3 seconds and collected the bounty hahaha

This happened to me at the best time. Me and the Whiterun guard pack were just leaving Whiterun for that first quest you get from the Jarl there. 3 Thugs... 5 of us, plus the Flame Atronach I had just learned how to summon. We basically just clotheslined them on our way to the real destination there. What was even funnier was that the bounty was mysteriously paid for by someone I burnt to death. How that works I am not entirely certain, but I appreciated the delivery of septims.

On a side note, Flame Atronach is not fucking around at level 6. I know this for two reasons; one, because I followed mine as it cleared out an entire dungeon, laughing the entire way as she just bodied the shit out of everyone in there. Two, because when I left that same dungeon a Flame Atronach pelted me in the side of the head out of fucking nowhere and that shit hurt. I summoned my own - which only led to an Atronach slapfight of ineffective fire damage exchanges - and looked down the road to see a dead witch just sprawled out on the cobblestone path. Too hot to handle, I guess.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
gate777 said:
We may need a Skyrim help thread just like we have for Dark Souls. This thread moves too fast and a lot of questions go unanswered.

That would make it 4 or 5 skyrim threads in the gaming section though.
Eh whenever a new game comes out thats big, thats what usually happens.

I need to check this game out sometime ( $ :/ ) Duel Wielding any good? Thats usually my motto for games if possible.

JWong said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU how the hell do I get rid of this vampire shit!

Is there any cheats? This is really frustrating.
There was a questline in Oblivion to obtain a cure for it, but it was a pain in the ass to do it. If you're on the PC, you can almost certainly use the console to get rid of it somehow, but it might take a bit for someone to figure that out. A mod on the PC version is another possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom