• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anywhere reliable to store loot if I don't yet have a house? Also, is there anywhere cheaper than the house in Whiterun for 5000?

kevm3

- Game is a good deal better than Oblivion in many ways. Will you like it if you didnt' like Oblivion? Depends on the reason why you didn't like Oblivion. If you found Oblivion cumbersome and the world rather mundane and boring, you might like Skyrim. If you simply don't like open-ended games like Fallout, Oblivion, etc., then you probably won't like it, because it doesn't drastically change the formula, but refines things.

The key is that you actually want to explore now due to the more finely hand-crafted dungeons and the fact that there is more unique loot. In Oblivion, there was virtually no reason to go into any of the caves other than quests for the most part. Most of them were ugly and very repetitive with no real unique items in them.

- Combat is a bit better and moves feel like they have more impact. Combat is quite easy though. I'm level 5-6 or so and I'm slicing bandits down like they're nothing. At the moment, I avoid giants though. You'll probably want to adjust the difficulty.

- Bethesda focused on the things that actually made the series a better GAME. I was mad at first that they removed a few things and 'simplified', but ultimately it seems to have been for the better. The repair hammers and need to repair equipment is gone, but it allows you to focus on other things instead of having to carry extra items to repair your equipment. The FEEL of the game is where Bethesda really improved things. The towns and environments are much more interesting to explore. It feels as if the world is more 'alive'. Although basic enemies are easy to destroy, I like the fact that there are areas where you can't go, unlike Oblivion, due to the fact that the enemies are way stronger than you

- The menu system is simpler and I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me. What I DON'T like however is the inability to see the equipment on your character unlike in Oblivion where you could see how the equipment looked on you as you put it on.

Zeliard

Zefah said:
Is there anywhere reliable to store loot if I don't yet have a house? Also, is there anywhere cheaper than the house in Whiterun for 5000?

You can use a companion as a mule like in Fallout 3. There's one in Whiterun I found that cost 500 to hire, which is pretty cheap.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ConvenientBox said:
has this happened to anyone else?

http://i.imgur.com/S22li.jpg[IMG]

I took care of his hired goons in 3 seconds and collected the bounty hahaha[/QUOTE]
they showed them and my horse murdered them all while we were fighting.

im scared of my horse now.

Anteater

Yeahhh got the ps3 version for 50bucks, my first elder scrolls game! Will probably pick up the pc version some day when it's like 7 dollars, stupid bethesda and their $60 pc price tag...

Edit: any tips for a noob?

So this game is fantastic. I hated Oblivion because of the level scaling and the crappy UI (played it on consoles so mods were out of the question). I loved Fallout 3, and I'm glad this game has more in common with that game.

I'm only about 3 hours in and am enjoying it so much. The combat is a huge step up, and the leveling system is so much more improved. No stupid Oblivion gates either.

Best current gen Bethesda game IMO.

Loxley

Zefah said:

I'd actually like to know this as well. I'm 10 hours in and have a shitload of books I've picked up that I'd like to finally get out of my inventory and just store somewhere akready :/

Touchdown

Banned
someone help please! I pressed the wrong button after a half hour of perfectly customizing my character and now I'm stuck with the name prisoner! Is there any way to change this? I'm playing on 360. :(

Firehead

Pandaman said:
they showed them and my horse murdered them all while we were fighting.

im scared of my horse now.
Dunno if my difficulty level has anything to do with it, but a horse killed me in one hit at level five...

styl3s

Has anyone else accidentally hit the shout button in town causing everyone to attack you? happened to me after i first learned it, accidentally hit it and blew like 4 people away, ran outside of town when it got done loading literally 18-20 guards loaded behind me.

Thank god it auto-saved before i went into town so i didn't have to re-do the quest and run around for 20 minutes.

Clevinger

Touchdown said:
someone help please! I pressed the wrong button after a half hour of perfectly customizing my character and now I'm stuck with the name prisoner! Is there any way to change this? I'm playing on 360. :(

I don't think so. On the upside, the game doesn't reference your name all that much.

zmoney said:
Can I raise my archery skill by shooting an archery target?

I don't think so. Seems like the only way to increase any offense skill or most magic skills is by using it on someone/something alive.

Loxley

Anteater said:
Yeahhh got the ps3 version for 50bucks, my first elder scrolls game! Will probably pick up the pc version some day when it's like 7 dollars, stupid bethesda and their $60 pc price tag...

Edit: any tips for a noob?

Don't feel like you're under any pressure at all to stick to the main story line and then go for side quests, because you're most certainly not. The game honestly could care less if you take your sweet time getting to the "end". Many of us are 10+ hours in and have barely even thought about the main quest much less actually done any of it.

A lot of the fun from the series (more so in Skyrim than Oblivion) comes from exploring the world and just taking on random quests as they come. Basically just take your time and do whatever the heck you want. Experiment with different weapon and/or spell combinations (this is something that Skyrim does exceptionally well in my opinion) until you find something you like, and if you change your mind you can always just start using different kinds of equipment and become more proficient with it.

Oh, and don't attack giants. They're...they're grouchy.

Touchdown said:

I did the exact same thing. My first thought was "Well, fuck", but now I think it's hilarious. Your name will rarely come into play because it can't be spoken by NPCs. You're always Him or Her. There's a point where you'll realize that you should have made the name something even stupider.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Forgot to mention a weird little story on a Companions job I was given
so I gotta go kill this Bandit, right? I steal a horse, this is my first time riding a horse. Pull up on this dude, he doesn't even act like I'm there. Just wandering around. Then he fucking starts attacking the horse???? I dunno what the fuck happened, anyhow, I came up behind him and on the second strike I impaled this dumbass for trying to kill the horse before me, lol. Rode off into the sunrise thereafter like a G.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm now an official member of the Companions. It's so good to hear that the related quests are great. I was totally caught off guard when I learned that the leaders
were all werewolves
. If that means
I can eventually become a werewolf
, then holy shit did I pick the right guild for me.

Quite hilariously, my friend just joined the Dark Brotherhood at the same. We're play right next to each other, so I we were trying to watch both induction ceremonies at the same time. The Brotherhood is creepy as hell.

SquirrelNuckle said:
They are worth a lot, but when I go to sell them I don't have to option to.

Only a few venders will take em. Try a the alchemy dealer. I just wish I had a place to stash em till I got a house.

Salazar

Frost troll got glitch-stuck on a fallen branch and could do nothing but scream and wave his arms as I burninated him.

Amazing, joyous stuff.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Teknoman said:
Bigger version of Bears Away!

ibqaDsSm0sZFuF.gif

EDIT: Wait...that doesnt look like a bear now that I look at it...unless its a Sabertooth bear.
I am still laughing at this. XD

Question about the PC version: Is it like Fallout: New Vegas where if you plug in a USB Xbox 360 gamepad, the controls and interface automatically become exactly like on the console?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Said to myself, "who in the fuck is building a big ass fire in the middle of the day, the hell."

Got closer, saw they were giants.

Just walked in the opposite direction.

GhaleonEB

Dumb question #3 of the night. I enchanted a bow, used up its charge, and have some filled petty soul gems. But I can't figure out how to re-charge my bow with the filled soul gems, selecting neither the gem nor the bow gets me the prompt.

Dumb question #4 for the night: my Stamina is in red. I thought sleeping would get rid of it, but it's still in red after waking well rested. I can't find anywhere in the menus that show my state (whether I'm poisoned or something). What does that mean?

I'm becoming quite the badass archer. Archery really feels better this time around, with arrows whizzing past my head and strikes thunking into place and doing good damage. I'm saving up a couple of perks for when I get the skill to 30 (at 26 currently).

Just had a shootout on fort with a half dozen other archers, out on the after exiting the Brittleshin Pass. Great stuff, combat is actually fun rather than a chore.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Said to myself, "who in the fuck is building a big ass fire in the middle of the day, the hell."

Got closer, saw they were giants.

Just walked in the opposite direction.
Heh. I just did the same thing. I got close to them, and one unfolded his arms and held out his club as a stern warning. I took the hint and beat it. :lol

Playing on the second hardest difficulty, I'm definately finding places that kick my ass, and some loot here and there that really pops out. I've had to abandon multiple attempted routes already.

Wallach

GhaleonEB said:
Dumb question #4 for the night: my Stamina is in red. I thought sleeping would get rid of it, but it's still in red after waking well rested. I can't find anywhere in the menus that show my state (whether I'm poisoned or something). What does that mean?

You're probably diseased. The menu you're looking for is under Magic -> Active Effects.

FStop7

Banned
Game is installing now. Just skimmed the CE art book. _Wow_. This is far and away the nicest artbook I've had come with a game. It even tops the Blizzard WoW art books. The cover is faux leather that still feels very good, the binding and paper are of good quality, and there is a lot of content. I can't wait to get in and start exploring.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Ok, I just got into Skyrim for the 360 and have a question. Is there a way to use magic and weapons at the same time like in Oblivion? I find it to be cumbersome to have to go the menu to switch between the two during combat.

GhaleonEB

Wallach said:
You're probably diseased. The menu you're looking for is under Magic -> Active Effects.
Thank you! I've been trying to find that forever.

I have bone break fever, drains stamina 25 points. Going to raid this fort then try to find a cure in the nearby town.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
Dumb question #3 of the night. I enchanted a bow, used up its charge, and have some filled petty soul gems. But I can't figure out how to re-charge my bow with the filled soul gems, selecting neither the gem nor the bow gets me the prompt.
Press RB on the weapon you want to charge

You can cure diseases by going to any temple, or coming across a shrine in the woods

Loxley

xtrasauce said:
Question about the PC version: Is it like Fallout: New Vegas where if you plug in a USB Xbox 360 gamepad, the controls and interface automatically become exactly like on the console?

As far as I know, yes. The PC version's control options menu even specifically names the 360 gamepad as the controller, so I would assume so.

i just beat the cave quest to get that claw back for the shop dude and damn there were some good looking waterfalls and the lighting was incredible in spots. i'm playing as a dark elf and i love the zombie spell!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question, I have to return this sword to a dude and I set that as my active quest, but it only shows me what town to go to, and not where to go when in the town. How do you find your way back to the quest giver once in the correct town? I cannot find this guy anywhere.

Loxley said:
As far as I know, yes. The PC version's control options menu even specifically names the 360 gamepad as the controller, so I would assume so.

Cool, thanks.

I'm still wondering if I should buy this or Saints Row. Yes, I realize that sounds ridiculous. But I like ridiculous. Which is why Saints Row: The Third is looking very appealing to me.

Not trying to troll or anything, I'm sure Skyrim is just as mind-blowing as most peeps say it is. Mmm... Decisions decisions.

hamchan

FlyinJ said:
Are dragon bones/scales vendor trash? Should I hold onto them or sell them?
They're used to make dragon armour but since dragons are seemingly infinite just sell them if you need the cash or if you're early game, since you won't be able to smith that armor for a while.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For new page.

Question, I have to return this sword to a dude and I set that as my active quest, but it only shows me what town to go to, and not where to go when in the town. How do you find your way back to the quest giver once in the correct town? I cannot find this guy anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom