• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenck

Going to ask this again before I fall asleep.

Who can I sell vases and dishes too? I got some from Jarl's dining room and want all the gold I can make :p

overcast said:
I'll just repost this..

Just go around calling people swits and n'wahs (sp?) in true Dunmer fashion.

In all seriousness tho, just play the game how you want to, you'll have more fun discovering the ins and outs of the Elder Scrolls by yourself

overcast

odin toelust said:
Just go around calling people swits and n'wahs (sp?) in true Dunmer fashion.

In all seriousness tho, just play the game how you want to, you'll have more fun discovering the ins and outs of the Elder Scrolls by yourself
Okay, I assume I'll kick ass with my spells and one handed sword :D

Alchemy is confusing :\

epmode

BeeDog said:
What's the key for moving around physical objects on PC?
Hold down the Use key, same as with the pad controls.

edit: Oh god so late.

In other news: I loved my murderous zombie walrus for the 60 seconds it existed.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
TekDragon said:
Thoroughly disappointed with the smithing skill. Wish I could take back all my levels and perks in it.

The problem with it is that at any one point, you're only gaining the benefit from that one point. Even if you maxed it out to dragon armor, you're not going to get any benefit from any of the other perks.

Take another crafting skill, alchemy, as a comparison. With alchemy if you max out the tree and make a potion you're gaining overlapping bonuses from everywhere.

This is super disappointing. I was looking forward to crafting glass armor like mad, but I will skip out and use those points in alchemy. I've found myself drinking potions a lot.

I ran across a witches hut (which was really eerie decorated with bloody animal heads). After my struggle with her, 2 movie necros came out and tried to eat my soul. That was also no fun. Potions are insane, and alchemy leveling is easy, so I think I'll dive into that perk tree.

What about enchanting? Anyone have experience with it? I've only found some crazy stuff, but not had the chance to enchant my own stuff yet. And how do I fill soul gems? I found an axe that will if the target dies within 5 seconds, but otherwise I'm clueless.

Oh oh oh, and houses? I want a home and have about 3k gold. I can save/earn more, but where exactly should I go for a house?

nicoga3000 said:
Oh oh oh, and houses? I want a home and have about 3k gold. I can save/earn more, but where exactly should I go for a house?

Very minor spoiler (like 2? hours into the game). You can buy a house in
winterrun
after you fight
the first dragon

SteveO409 said:
ffs the game never remembers my fov setting at 90 even when i added it to the skyrimpref ini file.

I could never get the .ini fov change to work.

Typed fov 90 in console, hit F5. It has stayed there so far (booted it up like 3-4 times since I changed it).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm still super confused about alchemy, can anyone explain the basics? I accidentally made a health potion with two ingredients, which helps with those for the future. But then I wasted a bunch of stuff trying to make something else; nothing was working. Is there a way to figure out what each component does?

Dresden said:
Started over as a Nord because my Imperial mage looked like he went to penn state.
If you're willing to employ some console commands, you can change your character's race quite easily. Sadly it also resets your stats, but that can probably be fixed to if you look for a way to do it.

Papercuts said:
I'm still super confused about alchemy, can anyone explain the basics? I accidentally made a health potion with two ingredients, which helps with those for the future. But then I wasted a bunch of stuff trying to make something else; nothing was working. Is there a way to figure out what each component does?

Open inventory, go to ingredients. Eat 1 of each it will tell you what they do/remember the effects in the alc window.

Slackbladder said:
I think it has to be changed in the game console commands. link Doesn't say how to open it though.

Are you talking about how to open the console window? It is the tilde (~ under esc key)

overcast

Papercuts said:
Having the same problem man, i can't make anything of use.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Papercuts said:

There may be a better way, but I literally just go ape shit and combine stuff until it starts to work. At that point, you can try matching the revealed traits to unreleased traits of other ingredients. It's pretty much trial and error unless you use a wiki/guide I think.

epmode

nismogrendel said:
I could never get the .ini fov change to work.
Because it doesn't work. For anyone. But people keep talking about it because it worked in previous Bethesda games. There was similar advice all over the Rage PC thread. All sorts of config tweaks that worked in Doom 3 but didn't do a thing in Rage.

Helmholtz said:
I'm playing on PC with a 360 controller. I'm about 15 hours in.
Have to say, this game is pretty amazing so far. Leagues ahead of oblivion and fallout 3 in my opinion, and pretty much the ideal Bethesda game for me.
I just wish they hadn't taken out Athletics and Acrobatics. I loved the feeling of being able to jump 15 feet in the air, jump on the water, run insanely fast, etc. The omission of stats is good and bad mostly because of how unintuitive the mechanics of leveling them were in Oblivion. Also, the lack of a good way to increase my maximum weight capacity is annoying. I bought the first house and stored all my heavy shit in there but I still get weighed down traversing the world because I actually feel motivated to do dungeons.

sixghost

Anyone know how strong conjuration magic gets further down the skill tree? It's by far my highest skill, and it seems pretty good for now. It would just be nice to know if it gets obsolete later on.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Anyone else rolling pure archer?
It fucking brings a smile to my face with all the little details they put into this game. Somehow the game knows I'm an archer (I'm assuming it's because I have my bow equipped) and sword-wielding guards/warriors will say to me, " Aw, you're an archer? I much prefer the sword. "

Such a small detail that sinks me into my role/immersion soooo much more.

epmode

Every time someone gets angry with me for accidentally taking out my FISTS OF FLAMING DEATH in a public area I get closer to a legitimate massacre.

K2Valor said:
It fucking brings a smile to my face with all the little details they put into this game. Somehow the game knows I'm an archer (I'm assuming it's because I have my bow equipped) and sword-wielding guards/warriors will say to me, " Aw, you're an archer? I much prefer the sword. "

I think the game knows what you use the most. In Oblivion I used to conjure a lot of skeletons and zombies, and people would to say "You smell of death. Been conjuring dead things?"

It's awesome.

Aptos

sixghost said:
Anyone know how strong conjuration magic gets further down the skill tree? It's by far my highest skill, and it seems pretty good for now. It would just be nice to know if it gets obsolete later on.

I can't speak to how it gets later. But I wanted to mention that I thought conjuration sucked because
my familiar would just get wrecked, but then I randomly tried raise zombie on some dudes I killed and it's suuuuper good.

K2Valor said:

That is pretty cool.

I have a bow for hunting deer and stuff, no talents in it though. I rock a slow ass 2-hander. It's ok.

Aptos said:
I can't speak to how it gets later. But I wanted to mention that I thought conjuration sucked because
my familiar would just get wrecked, but then I randomly tried raise zombie on some dudes I killed and it's suuuuper good.

I've been using the flame atronach a lot, she doesn't take many hits but she does some pretty good damage.

eshwaaz

A summary of my experience so far:
First 5 minutes: Ugh. The character faces are still ugly. Terrible, shimmery shadows all over the place.

First 30 minutes: Intro sequence is awkwardly presented, bad character animation. Feeling discouraged.

First hour: Meeting people, getting quests. Okay - here we go...

First 4 hours: Wow. Amazing. Goodbye, life - I'm all in.

K2Valor said:

I always spread myself really thin because I do all of the guilds. I've been playing a mage, but also dabbling in one handers. I was using heavy armor at first, but then I joined the Dark Brotherhood and got the really good light armor they give, so I'm using that. Now I'm focusing on my stealth skills more than my Destruction magic because I prefer to play the DB and Thief missions the "proper" way. So basically I've got about 8 different skill trees that I'm leveling up.

The Xtortionist said:
Guys, I've been having some trouble.

I rolled a Breton because that's what I used in Oblivion, but the game had become difficult about 6 hours in. For reference, I've competed the main quest up to learning Whirlwind Sprint, the conspiracy quest in the main city to the southwest, and a good number of random dungeons. I'm level 11 with about 15-20 in all stats except for Destruction, which is 35, One-Handed, which is about 40, and Restoration and Sneak which are just under 30. My playstyle is basically a spellsword, with something like Firebolt in my left hand and an enchanted sword in my right.

Enemies such as Sabre Cats and groups of humanoid enemies rip me up on normal difficulty. I tried using a shield but everything seems to stagger me.

Leveling Sneak seems like it would be useful but I'm not sure how to do it. Crouchwalking takes forever and I always end up getting detected before a backstab. I am using Light Armor, btw. Have 31 in that.

My perks thus far are two ranks in +20% one-handed damage, 1/2-off Novice and Apprentice Destruction, 1/2-off Novice Restoration, 20% better Light Armor, 25% better Sneak, easier Novice locks (god Lockpicking takes so long to level). I have 2 perk points lying around that I haven't used.

So I guess I just need some tips. Leveling tips, good gear, good spells, good quests to take, etc... Hopefully I haven't fucked my build or anything since I'm still early.
If you're going the light armor route, join the Dark Brotherhood. They give you a very nice set (though I can't guarantee it will be better than what you have).

sixghost

eshwaaz said:
A summary of my experience so far:
First 5 minutes: Ugh. The character faces are still ugly. Terrible, shimmery shadows all over the place.

First 30 minutes: Intro sequence is awkwardly presented, bad character animation. Feeling discouraged.

First hour: Meeting people, getting quests. Okay - here we go...

First 4 hours: Wow. Amazing. Goodbye, life - I'm all in.
That's all pretty expected for a Bethesda game though.

The raise undead spells are fantastic though. I'll probably try out the magic sword/axe part of that tree as well.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Played 7 hours on PC so far. No glitches except for a lock-up in
Swindler's Den. Spoke to the leader of the group, timed out on the conversation and decided to check out where an exit went. It went to a very bad place called End Process.

epmode

SPACECADET said:
so i just loaded it up. i'm in the character create window and got my race and appearance all set, but the name says prisoner. i don't want to say i'm done because it's looking like it would save that name, i can't find a way to alter it to the name i want.

playing on xbox btw. anyone got any help? i'm sure it's obvious but i'm not seeing it. that would suck going through the character create again. they never look the same when you try to re-create them.
Don't worry, you get a separate prompt for the name.

overcast

epmode said:
Every time someone gets angry with me for accidentally taking out my FISTS OF FLAMING DEATH in a public area I get closer to a legitimate massacre.
Yeah, I walk around town with my sword and fist of flames out. Ready to fuck up anybody who decides to throw down. When guards tell me to be careful with a sword out, I tell them they are talking to a fucking level 5 Dark Elf who specializes in magic and one handed weaponry. They put their tail between their legs and back off.

SPACECADET said:
so i just loaded it up. i'm in the character create window and got my race and appearance all set, but the name says prisoner. i don't want to say i'm done because it's looking like it would save that name, i can't find a way to alter it to the name i want.

playing on xbox btw. anyone got any help? i'm sure it's obvious but i'm not seeing it. that would suck going through the character create again. they never look the same when you try to re-create them.

Keep going, it gives you a chance to name your character.

madmackem

Where the fuck did the women go from the bar who i offered to tell the bloke to stop bothering her go argggghhhh. I brawled with him now i cant find her to tell her, this is early on very early on 30 mins early i wish they would highlight sidquests on the map or the fucking compass.

Guys, I've been having some trouble.

I rolled a Breton because that's what I used in Oblivion, but the game had become difficult about 6 hours in. For reference, I've competed the main quest up to learning Whirlwind Sprint, the conspiracy quest in the main city to the southwest, and a good number of random dungeons. I'm level 11 with about 15-20 in all stats except for Destruction, which is 35, One-Handed, which is about 40, and Restoration and Sneak which are just under 30. My playstyle is basically a spellsword, with something like Firebolt in my left hand and an enchanted sword in my right.

Enemies such as Sabre Cats and groups of humanoid enemies rip me up on normal difficulty. I tried using a shield but everything seems to stagger me.

Leveling Sneak seems like it would be useful but I'm not sure how to do it. Crouchwalking takes forever and I always end up getting detected before a backstab. I am using Light Armor, btw. Have 31 in that.

My perks thus far are two ranks in +20% one-handed damage, 1/2-off Novice and Apprentice Destruction, 1/2-off Novice Restoration, 20% better Light Armor, 25% better Sneak, easier Novice locks (god Lockpicking takes so long to level). I have 2 perk points lying around that I haven't used.

So I guess I just need some tips. Leveling tips, good gear, good spells, good quests to take, etc... Hopefully I haven't fucked my build or anything since I'm still early.

If you're going the light armor route, join the Dark Brotherhood. They give you a very nice set (though I can't guarantee it will be better than what you have).

I'm using the set I got from the conspiracy quest. Old God I think? My armor rating is 72 IIRC with some buffs of varying usefulness.

How do you join the DB? Same as Oblivion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom