• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

madmackem said:
Where the fuck did the women go from the bar who i offered to tell the bloke to stop bothering her go argggghhhh. I brawled with him now i cant find her to tell her, this is early on very early on 30 mins early i wish they would highlight sidquests on the map or the fucking compass.
Sidequests definitely show up on the map but you have to enable it in your journal. You can track a ton of quests all at the same time if you want.

overcast

madmackem said:
Where the fuck did the women go from the bar who i offered to tell the bloke to stop bothering her go argggghhhh. I brawled with him now i cant find her to tell her, this is early on very early on 30 mins early i wish they would highlight sidquests on the map or the fucking compass.
Is it the one who works at that little shop? She should be there.

Oh lord its hard to stop going back to my dark Oblivion past with this game.

Did the first Dark Brotherhood-related mission where you
kill the orphanage manager
and her friend saw me. Of course I couldn't have any witnesses to the fact, so I had to kill the friend. Not a microsecond before the friend's corpse begins cooling, a guard wanders in the house and now Riften is a strict no go zone until I'm willing to give up 2000 coin.

sixghost

The Xtortionist said:
Guys, I've been having some trouble.

I rolled a Breton because that's what I used in Oblivion, but the game had become difficult about 6 hours in. For reference, I've competed the main quest up to learning Whirlwind Sprint, the conspiracy quest in the main city to the southwest, and a good number of random dungeons. I'm level 11 with about 15-20 in all stats except for Destruction, which is 35, One-Handed, which is about 40, and Restoration and Sneak which are just under 30. My playstyle is basically a spellsword, with something like Firebolt in my left hand and an enchanted sword in my right.

Enemies such as Sabre Cats and groups of humanoid enemies rip me up on normal difficulty. I tried using a shield but everything seems to stagger me.

Leveling Sneak seems like it would be useful but I'm not sure how to do it. Crouchwalking takes forever and I always end up getting detected before a backstab. I am using Light Armor, btw. Have 31 in that.

My perks thus far are two ranks in +20% one-handed damage, 1/2-off Novice and Apprentice Destruction, 1/2-off Novice Restoration, 20% better Light Armor, 25% better Sneak, easier Novice locks (god Lockpicking takes so long to level). I have 2 perk points lying around that I haven't used.

So I guess I just need some tips. Leveling tips, good gear, good spells, good quests to take, etc... Hopefully I haven't fucked my build or anything since I'm still early.

I'm using the set I got from the conspiracy quest. Old God I think? My armor rating is 72 IIRC with some buffs of varying usefulness.

How do you join the DB? Same as Oblivion?
Sneak seemed to level up nicely by using bows to get sneak attacks on the wild animals.

dino1980

TekDragon said:
Thoroughly disappointed with the smithing skill. Wish I could take back all my levels and perks in it.

The problem with it is that at any one point, you're only gaining the benefit from that one point. Even if you maxed it out to dragon armor, you're not going to get any benefit from any of the other perks.

Take another crafting skill, alchemy, as a comparison. With alchemy if you max out the tree and make a potion you're gaining overlapping bonuses from everywhere.

Hmm i dons really understand the problem? With smithing you also besides making armor and swords can make them all bether. My chainmail that I upgraded was something like 84 and the standard is 65 or something. Im lvl 51 in smithing.

Blackface

Banned
eshwaaz said:
A summary of my experience so far:
First 5 minutes: Ugh. The character faces are still ugly. Terrible, shimmery shadows all over the place.

First 30 minutes: Intro sequence is awkwardly presented, bad character animation. Feeling discouraged.

First hour: Meeting people, getting quests. Okay - here we go...

First 4 hours: Wow. Amazing. Goodbye, life - I'm all in.

If your on PC. Turn it to ultra high (if you can) and check the little FSAA box.

Game looks better then Witcher 2 IMO after that. It's mind blowing in some places. Especially at night when a dragon breathes fire.

I killed an innocent human being but when I sleep in the beds I don't get any dark brotherhood crap. How do I get them to contact me? If it is related to something main story wise and is spoiler related then don't tell me, but if it has nothing to do with the main storyline then tell me please.

hamchan

Scullibundo said:
Oh lord its hard to stop going back to my dark Oblivion past with this game.

Did the first Dark Brotherhood-related mission where you
kill the orphanage manager
and her friend saw me. Of course I couldn't have any witnesses to the fact, so I had to kill the friend. Not a microsecond before the friend's corpse begins cooling, a guard wanders in the house and now Riften is a strict no go zone until I'm willing to give up 2000 coin.
The friend seeing you does nothing btw, no penalty or fine.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Blackface said:
If your on PC. Turn it to ultra high (if you can) and check the little FSAA box.

Game looks better then Witcher 2 IMO after that. It's mind blowing in some places. Especially at night when a dragon breathes fire.

Impossible.
I haven't even played Skyrim yet ;p

The Xtortionist said:
Enemies such as Sabre Cats and groups of humanoid enemies rip me up on normal difficulty. I tried using a shield but everything seems to stagger me.

I use heavy armor and a 2h weapon - those sabre cats tear me up too. Even with a pretty decent melee companion they are hard.

It's kind of silly but I have less trouble with dragons than I do with cats.

hamchan

madmackem said:
Make quests that you want to do active in your log. I also think a lot of people don't realize you can make each individual dot point in the miscellaneous quests active as well.

The Xtortionist said:
I'm using the set I got from the conspiracy quest. Old God I think? My armor rating is 72 IIRC with some buffs of varying usefulness.

How do you join the DB? Same as Oblivion?
Not exactly the same. The line started with a rumor that heard from an innkeeper telling me to go talk to some kid who wanted the Dark Brotherhood to kill someone for him. You do his quest, then you'll get a letter from a courier saying that the DB knows what you did. After that, you sleep somewhere safe and they approach you (much like in Oblivion).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Scullibundo said:
She woke up to all the kids cheering around the dead body and ran toward the door. Can't take chances!

She was clearly going to rat on the children.

And I don't blame her. All the kids in this game are annoying little shits.

Teknoman

About the different groups/guilds you can join: Once you join a group, are you locked out of others, or can you do something to leave the group and join another?

Drazgul

The chests at the Thieves Guild & Companions are safe for storage, right (TG at least has one bed that isn't 'owned' which means it's probably reserved for the player, so the chest at the end of it should at least be safe)? Don't wanna drop the 5k for the Whiterun home since it's such shit place. :p

mileS

Pretty bad exploit early on but Its okay if you want to start the game with a boosted stealth or 1hand skill. I'm going to level stealth to 30 or so using this and move on. I always find starting off as a stealth based character in these games frustrating until you get to a certain point anyway.
http://youtu.be/tO5AMOZkbIs

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Teknoman said:
About the different groups/guilds you can join: Once you join a group, are you locked out of others, or can you do something to leave the group and join another?

I think it's like Oblivion where you can just be in all of them at once.

The Lighthouse was goddamn terrifying. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.
Maybe it's because it's late and I'm alone here but I was creeped out the whole time. That noise, combined with the story buildup..

Salazar

Scullibundo said:
Can I just confirm that there is no way to talk to people whilst on a horse? Annoying the shit out of me.

You just want to feel like a superior sumbitch.

overcast said:
There is no way I can handle these trolls yet. Damn. It's a quest for
the Companions

Yeah, coming up against trolls is pretty chastening for me at the moment.

Wanace

Horses in this game suck. That is all. Dare I say they were better in Oblivion? Yes, I dare.

Other than that, this fucking game is amazing. I just did a Daedric quest for
Molag Bal
and it was a lot of fun. So much better than Oblivion. In fact, I wasn't even expecting it to be a Daedric quest and when I found out what was going on I was like "Oh shit, awesome!"

Salazar said:
You just want to feel like a superior sumbitch.

You could do it in Oblivion. Also, its a pain in the ass if you've stolen a horse and want to talk to somebody you meet in the wild. Because whilst your talking the motherfucker walks away.

koryuken

Guys, is anyone really disappointed with the graphics of the game? I feel like the engine is really showing some aging. I am playing with everything maxxed out.

Other than that, I am having a blast :)

123rl

I,need help early on. Im in a dungeon and there's a door with three rotating locks. Each one has a different animal on it. How do I get through?

I want this game so bad but I just don't have the time i really want (100's of hrs) to invest in playing this game. Will wait till summer to live in Skyrim when game releases are slow.
I'd really love if Bethesda created a massive RPG such as this set in The Roman eras or especially in the fuckin Caveman era! Holy shit.

Teknoman said:

You can join and finish all of them on one character.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mileS said:
Pretty bad exploit early on but Its okay if you want to start the game with a boosted stealth or 1hand skill. I'm going to level stealth to 30 or so using this and move on. I always find starting off as a stealth based character in these games frustrating until you get to a certain point anyway.
http://youtu.be/tO5AMOZkbIs
alternative version for pc users:
~

thekad

Banned
Question: Is Innocence Lost the first quest on the Dark Brotherhood path or is it completely (or at least mostly) unrelated?

Valygar

123rl said:
I,need help early on. Im in a dungeon and there's a door with three rotating locks. Each one has a different animal on it. How do I get through?

Examine the claw in your inventory. The wall reliefs are not the solution (I wasted a lot of time with the wall till I read the journal again and checked the claw :( )

This game is awesome. For me it's like Oblivion but much more polished, that's all. I specially like that the level system is more "simple", now I can roleplay and advance my character without doing stupid things.

I am doing a Khajit thief (one hand, bow, lockpicking, pickpocketing, sneaking (39 at level 10!) an alchemy). The potions and the bow are more useful than I thought, without them I would not have been able to keep on.

I'm playing on Hard/Expert? difficulty and the game is pretty difficult. I have to do crazy things to win most fights if the enemy is not a wolf or common bandit. I thought it will be easier now at level 10, but no, it keeps going difficult. Maybe I should do another sidequests and try not to finish the Thieves Guild quests first ? (by the way, these quests are pretty good)

I tried to go to the mountain with the greybeards, but the animals in the wild kill me every time. It seems my character is weak in a very tough world. I love it but I hope it will be a bit easier soon, and the auto-leveling thing does not screw me up. Anyone else playing in expert?

balddemon

Banned
Valygar said:
Examine the claw in your inventory. The wall reliefs are not the solution (I wasted a lot of time with the wall till I read the journal again and checked the claw :( )

how do you examine items? i had to google the answer even though i read the journal

r1chard

balddemon said:
how do you examine items? i had to google the answer even though i read the journal
Just like in Oblivion it's not obvious. On PC you select the item then move the mouse over to the item's image and LMB-drag to rotate it.

Teknoman

GasProblem said:
You can join and finish all of them on one character.

Cool, think I might limit myself by finishing whatever quest lines seem to fit whatever i'd go for in an RPG. Probably going to mess around with the magic guild, but I also want to find out how to join the Silver Hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom