• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple more questions:

1. How effective is dual-casting with Destruction magic? Worth investing in?

2. Any good way to level Lockpicking?

3. What's the level cap? Any risk of not getting all the perks I want? Focusing mainly on Sneak, Lockpicking, Light Armor, Destruction, and One-Handed. Might dabble on other schools of magic. Probably won't touch Speech, Alchemy, Smithing or Enchanting.

fanboi

Banned
Blackface said:
If your on PC. Turn it to ultra high (if you can) and check the little FSAA box.

Game looks better then Witcher 2 IMO after that. It's mind blowing in some places. Especially at night when a dragon breathes fire.

What does FXAA vs FSAA do? which is better?

blackflag

Just killed some friendly npc. Hope he wasn't important. Some wolves were attacking me at night and then this dude popped around the corner and my instinct took over and I just wasted him before I realized it was a person. Poor dude.

balddemon

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
Couple more questions:

can't answer 2 or 3, but i have dual-casting. i love it, but can't say i notice a difference. probably does a lot more damage.

unless it's an active skill and i havne't activated it? i doubt this. however, fire + lightning = deathhhh upon draugrs

The Xtortionist said:
Couple more questions:

3. What's the level cap? Any risk of not getting all the perks I want? Focusing mainly on Sneak, Lockpicking, Light Armor, Destruction, and One-Handed. Might dabble on other schools of magic. Probably won't touch Speech, Alchemy, Smithing or Enchanting.
1. Don't know
2. You gain a little experience when you break a lockpick, so if you have a ton just break them until you only have a few left. Or you could always unlock everything.
3. I don't think there's a level cap, just it gets harder to level up at high levels, someone mentioned it takes 1000 hours to get 90 perks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Xtortionist said:
Couple more questions:

1. It doesn't seem to do that much with novice spells, but I can't say for anything higher.

2. It levels a lot if you find an expert or master level lock, each time the lockpick snaps it raises it a chunk. I should note that it's not like oblivion/fallout where you needed a high lockpick to even attempt the doors, you can actually pick any lock in the game at any level, so you don't NEED lockpicking points unless you want to go in the path of getting more gold/better items in chests, or the unbreakable lockpick.

3. I hear it's a softcap at 50 but keeps going much slower after that into the 70s somewhere.

The Xtortionist said:
Also been thinking about signs. I'm currently rolling with The Lover (skills develop 15% faster). Is there anything better?

Oh shit, I have the thief one which makes sneak related skills raise 20% faster, so that might be why my lockpick is going up so quickly.

Einbroch

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
Couple more questions:

1. It's terrible until you get the "staggers most enemies" perk. Then it's great. Wastes a lot of mana for minimal extra damage, but the stagger is so worth it. You can only dual-cast the same spell with itself. No fire + ice, no flames + fireball, has to be like fireball + fireball. If you're going pure damage, however, it's not worth it.

2. Unlock everything. That's about it.

3. 70, although it REALLY slows down at 50. Not close to enough to get everything, but if you're focused on how you want to play you'll have no problem.

overcast

Einbroch said:
1. It's terrible until you get the "staggers most enemies" perk. Then it's great. Wastes a lot of mana for minimal extra damage, but the stagger is so worth it. You can only dual-cast the same spell with itself. No fire + ice, no flames + fireball, has to be like fireball + fireball.
How long do I have to wait to get this perk?

bunbun777

balddemon said:
can't answer 2 or 3, but i have dual-casting. i love it, but can't say i notice a difference. probably does a lot more damage.

unless it's an active skill and i havne't activated it? i doubt this. however, fire + lightning = deathhhh upon draugrs

I just hit level 10 destruction/conjure/resto. There are specific perks that give you a bonus to damage, heals, or duration of necro if you dual wield both of the same spell. Mix this with the extra 25% damage (fire, ice, or lightning) and use 50% less mag perk you can just nonstop sling spells, it is a lot of fun.

The resto also has a perk at 30 that gives you an additional 25% mag regen. I made a high elf for the additional 50 points and have only gave myself 3 health points, the other 6 or 7 have gone to magic.

Einbroch said:
1. It's terrible until you get the "staggers most enemies" perk. Then it's great. Wastes a lot of mana for minimal extra damage, but the stagger is so worth it. You can only dual-cast the same spell with itself. No fire + ice, no flames + fireball, has to be like fireball + fireball. If you're going pure damage, however, it's not worth it.
Nah, its not terrible. I destroyed the first couple of dungeons/quest lines with my flame hands. It does only get better once you get some perks, thats true.

bunbun777 said:
The resto also has a perk at 30 that gives you an additional 25% mag regen. I made a high elf for the additional 50 points and have only gave myself 3 health points, the other 6 or 7 have gone to magic.

I'll probably grab two ranks of that and call it a day with Restoration.

Also...one-handed perks relating to power attacks - worth it?

I suppose my overall gameplan is
1. Stealth if possible
2. If not, spam Destruction
3. Finish with one-handed weapons when the fight gets into close-quarters

Really struggling with perk choices...I hate making decisions >_<

balddemon

Banned
bunbun777 said:
I just hit level 10 destruction/conjure/resto. There are specific perks that give you a bonus to damage, heals, or duration of necro if you dual wield both of the same spell. Mix this with the extra 25% damage (fire, ice, or lightning) and use 50% less mag perk you can just nonstop sling spells, it is a lot of fun.

that sounds like a great idea. what spell element do you recommend doing? fire seems like it'd be a pain in the butt cuz the enemies will start to flee, but lightning and ice both seem pretty cool.

bunbun777

Einbroch said:
40? I don't remember. I've had it for a while, but until I got it dual-casting was absolute garbage.

it's not garbage in my opinion. Were you using novice spells? I one shot enemies with dual wield fire spells that are only apprentice.

balddemon said:
that sounds like a great idea. what spell element do you recommend doing? fire seems like it'd be a pain in the butt cuz the enemies will start to flee, but lightning and ice both seem pretty cool.

Whatever spell you increase to +25% i suppose, at 60 you can bump it to +50% damage. Disintegration sounds very cool to me. I feel like the Emperor spamming 2 handed shocks it is quite fun. Or whenever another destruction mage blazes me i switch to ice or vice versa, it looks great both of us hitting each other. Then my thrall, or nord slave or whatever she is called comes in with the 2 hander to finish the job. Also raising dead mages to serve you makes more spell effects to look at.

Papercuts

The Xtortionist said:
I'll probably grab two ranks of that and call it a day with Restoration.

Also...one-handed perks relating to power attacks - worth it?

I suppose my overall gameplan is
1. Stealth if possible
2. If not, spam Destruction
3. Finish with one-handed weapons when the fight gets into close-quarters

Really struggling with perk choices...I hate making decisions >_<

I was kinda planning on doing this but I apparently suck at stealth. I can never actually sneak up and stab a guy, and I'm wearing light armor. I'm basically now doing stealth bow and arrow shots, then magic, then one handed weapons. So I'm not sure if I should put points into sneak anymore. I feel like I'm making a horrible decision every time I level up in general.

I've been dumping one handed perks into damage, I did one into making power attacks take less stamina.

SRTtoZ

I'm rolling with an assassin type so far and its freaking amazing. I started with a pure mage but I quit that after a few hours because I was ALWAYS out of mana, even with regen items etc. Anyway I'm dual wielding some pretty good 1 handers and I have a pretty good bow that ive upgraded a ton, and its one of the best things...Using both weps at the same time does massive DMG. I cant wait to wake up tomorrow and play some more.

Coverly

Big Ass Ramp said:
if I use the console to max out my ability to carry more stuff, will that disable steam achievements?

It didn't for me. I increased the weight and I got an achievement some time after without a problem.

Goddamn Bethesda, if there is any quest you want to check for bugs, make sure its the one where you have to voluntarily give up your stuff and hope nothing goes wrong. Fuck.

EschatonDX said:
Been playing this nonstop since i got out of class. Great game.
Yeah, i've uninstalled it after spending 10 hours non-stop on it yesterday. I cant have such a game in my life while in grad school. :lol It'll just have to wait until christmas break or something. :(

Papercuts

Izayoi said:
It gave me my first shout before I had any souls and then I had to walk all the way out of the dungeon.

;_;

I'm pretty sure you missed a ring to pull on a wall to make a shortcut, lol.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with my character because I don't know how many categories you can do well in at once. I'm going one-handed, block, smithing (bad idea?) aaaannndd... ? I've been using my bow to stealth hit people, but there is no way to quick switch to mace on controller and it's kind of annoying to use the menu all the time. Also I'm such a beast with the mace & shield I don't know if I really need to be doing it.

So, I'm experiencing a bug where when I dual-cast continuous spells and hold both triggers down until my Magicka is depleted, they will still continue being cast indefinitely until I let go of the triggers. It happens pretty often. Anyone else experiencing this?

shit. I tried to hire a merchant and the first major city but she is telling me I already have help. That means the dude from river town who randomly disappeared on me 4 hours ago is still attached to me and not dead. What do I do? Its not like he is in town.

robin2

Valygar said:
I'm playing on Hard/Expert? difficulty and the game is pretty difficult. I have to do crazy things to win most fights if the enemy is not a wolf or common bandit. I thought it will be easier now at level 10, but no, it keeps going difficult. Maybe I should do another sidequests and try not to finish the Thieves Guild quests first ? (by the way, these quests are pretty good)
[...]
Anyone else playing in expert?
I'm playing at max difficulty (should be Master).

I have to be careful being attacked by no more than 2 enemy together. I found 2 vampires and got slaughtered, but it was before I had my summons. Those spells (zombie/familiar) really help me survive, I cleared a bandits camp with 8 men inside using them. Their AI isn't 100% reliable but it works well overall.

My character is "going with the flow" right now. I planned a conan-esque warrior, but ended up being a lizard (the only one in Skyrim, apparently) stealth-archer-mage-everything. Still level 3 tough (or 4? don't remember), I think I need a little more focus from now on.

putarorex

I played this all day today. Awesome game. I love exploring and have had more than a few "wow" moments. I can see myself playing this for a long time.

One complaint: I hate the small talk npcs do regardless of what else is happening. I have had several scenes in the game where I was watching scripted dialogue between key characters only to have it drowned out by some random npc doing his one liner that he spouts every time he walks by. Worse yet, the npc might stand right in front of me.

Otherwise I am really enjoying the game. I am going archery/conjuration/sneak and it really seems to be working.

Gamer @ Heart said:
shit. I tried to hire a merchant and the first major city but she is telling me I already have help. That means the dude from river town who randomly disappeared on me 4 hours ago is still attached to me and not dead. What do I do? Its not like he is in town.
Same thing happened to me, I'm hoping there's a console command or he unjoins after a week like in New Vegas.

Jeramii

Banned
i bought it today. i for sure think it is fun.... i had zero intention of buying it because i hated oblivion, but some of the reviews convinced me. i'm not enjoying this game as much as most of you are. i'm 6 hours in.

i'm sure it will get better just because i know fallout 3 was only kinda fun until you really get into the heart of the game, then it became amazing.

N.A

Banned
I seem to have lost Lydia. I sent her home and she normally goes to Dragonsreach but isn't there. Anywhere else she could be or is it a bug? Is there a console command I can use to respawn her?

nismogrendel said:
So followers have perma death on Skyrim? That sucks if they do. I almost lost Lydia to a cat today :/

Was my 3rd dragon
the one from the first dragon word wall quest from High hgrothrah.
I let lydia put arrows into dragons and i would bash their skull in with one hander.
But this one was freaking strong and lydia just stood their he had downed her like 6 times.
Now i have to do the shooting myself. The next 2 dragons killed my horses.

And where in Winterrun is your house i bought one and bought every upgrade but can't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom