• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

leng jai

This game is drop dead gorgeous on PC once you give it a chance. The textures are mediocre in spots but the fantastic weather effects means the world is dripping with atmosphere. It easily stands up to the likes of the Witcher 2/BF3/Uncharted 3 in it's own way despite not having the same graphical feature set. The art really makes up for the technical deficiencies and once modders get their teeth into it it's going to look incredible.

Aselith

Is there a repair system in this game? I've never found anything with a repair option and my really good bow and a really good axe have a bar that is almost gone. Assuming that's the durability.

Symphonic

firehawk12 said:
Man, how long does it take to make the money to get a house? I seem to remember it being much easier in the Fallout games to find a place early in the game to stash your loot.

If you get
enrolled at the mage college
or whatever, you can get a room there to store stuff. It's easy to get in.

onken

Oh it's here it's here it's here oh joyous day Hong Kong version but don't care, goodbye world for the next week.

nicoga3000 said:
Yeah, even though I can't run this at super settings, Skyrim has changed the way I view games.

Creepy house in the forest
http://tinyurl.com/7y7wb6w

Bizarre landscape by a mountaintop boneyard
http://tinyurl.com/7ly9bvg
Hehe, those places... Fun little anecdote I experienced there:

I'd been in Rorikstead before, shared a drink with a guy there and ended up with a hangover in Markath with no recollection of the night before. The game sent me on a series of mini-quests from that point, pretty much all over Skyrim. Someone in Whiterun told me I mentioned a "fiancée waiting for me". She happened to be waiting for me in that very particular house you just posted a pic of. :lol

She turned out to be a Hagraven who passionately wanted to 'consume our love'. I stuck my other sword in her instead, right as a dragon attacked.

Fjordson

Distracted from the main quest by the side quests. Distracted from the side quests by the miscellaneous quests.

I love it. The amount of things to see and do here is just staggering. And I really like how a lot of the side stuff is presented much more naturally than in past games. Usually by just observing and overhearing people talk. Sometimes you have to unearth it for yourself through conversation. It's not just "HEY! HEY! GOT A THING FOR YOU TO DO HERE! RIGHT HERE" 100 percent of the time.

Tripwood

Aselith said:
Is there a repair system in this game? I've never found anything with a repair option and my really good bow and a really good axe have a bar that is almost gone. Assuming that's the durability.

That's the enchantment bar or "charge", so you need to refill it in order for the enchantment to work.
Find some filled soulstones and fill it up at the enchantment table.

Enchantment!

Wanace

The sheer amount of stuff to do is overwhelming. Quests upon quests upon quests. And I've barely been anywhere! I'm level 16 and just scratched the surface of Markath, plowed through a lot of Whiterun and just started the College of Winterhold quests. I haven't been anywhere else yet.

17 hours in, and literally just a drop in the bucket. This game is huge.

Dragon fights are intennnnnse. Either I am underleveled for them, or they are meant to be a slugfest. Last one I did I was out of health/mana/stamina potions, mana, near death, and with no stamina. When that "Oh shit, this is some epic dragon shit right here" music starts to play as you ride on its head to deliver the last blow, its just great. Knowing that I have to come into dragon fights prepared and with a gameplan, I avoid some. The area with the hotsprings looks spooky at night, complete with fog and the mist from the geysers. It was even worse with a dragon flying patrol, giving out its whale-like calls. So immersive. So atmospheric. So great.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay so I think I need to head to a town and sell stuff... 300/300 and pretty much killed everything on site in every possible dungeon I've passed through :lol My god this game!
Hesemonni said:
Morrowind is that you?
THIS IS MORROWIND.

Woorloog

Banned
Aselith said:
No repairing. Stuff last indefinetly. However, if the thing is enchanted, then you may have to recharge it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm doing Bleak Falls Barrow, and then I'm joining the Dark Brotherhood before doing anything else. Will let you guys know how it is.

Hawkian said:
This game makes Oblivion (at least vanilla Oblivion) obsolete. Sorry to put it in those terms, but yes.

Oblivion is one of my games of the forever but I agree, everything that was wrong with Oblivion is right in Skyrim, it's like Bethesda actually listened to criticism.

Woorloog

Banned
Gravijah said:
i need a skill calculator lol

at level 50 you'll have 49 perks right?
Yes, and the max level is 70 (69 perks) as at that point you'll have 100 in every skill.
Leveling after lvl 50 is a lot slower.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just used this to add up all the perks I want for my Shield & Mace build. Archery will be a bit limited, but my use of it was going to be limited anyway. Otherwise, I'm glad I'll have so many abilities. I haven't been getting very hurt and my armor will only keep rocking more so I think I should start pouring into stamina.

It also seems like I'll want to do Mage & Thief playthroughs later. How much am I going to play this game? lol

Woorloog said:
Yes, and the max level is 70 (69 perks)
Whaaaaat? I may top off my Archery afterall...

Luthos

While it's still early, and I'm only level 14 or so, this is most likely gonna be my GOTY. I think the real biggest competition it had (for me) was Uncharted 3, and while it was good, Skyrim just beats it.

Skyrim just pulled me in and wouldn't let me go. And I know tomorrow is gonna be the same damn thing.

Dice said:
I just used this to add up all the perks I want for my Shield & Mace build. Archery will be a bit limited, but my use of it was going to be limited anyway. Otherwise, I'm glad I'll have so many abilities. I haven't been getting very hurt and my armor will only keep rocking more so I think I should start pouring into stamina.

It also seems like I'll want to do Mage & Thief playthroughs later. How much am I going to play this game? lol
I hear that. I'm doing a Sword & Board character. With some stuff in smithing and restoration (a paladin of sorts). And I'm already thinking of how I'm gonna do my mage and assassin characters when it comes to it. Ugh, this game is gonna get so much play time, probably more than Oblivion.

JoeMartin

So I've been kidna wandering around aimlessly since starting the game. Did the main story line up to the first dragon attack, still haven't gone to visit greybeards, did the first two missions for the companions and some miscellaneous side quests.

I'm level 21 (77 archery, 75 smithing what what). Archery was so bad at the start of the game that I almost made a new character. It gets significantly better once you get full run speed with bow drawn and 30% faster draw. Part of the problem might be that I have taken stamina on literally every level up but hey I can sprint for like a minute straight which is so nice. Also my light armor skill blows asshole since I spend most of my time trying not to get hit at all.

Smithing is broken as hell too. You get your fifth tier of item improvement options at 75 (so I can improve my stuff to "(epic)" quality), which nearly doubles the base stats of armor/weapons. I'm assuming this isn't the last tier either. Insanely worth it. Also gives you mega early access to higher quality material armor (vendors already selling raw mats for glass armor and whatnot).

Oh also I have 5 dragon shouts unlocked just from running into random ass dragon fights in the mountains but I can't use any of them? I assume it's because I haven't progressed the main quest like at all. But whatever. Also pretty much every dragon fight is easy as hell to cheese on any given pillar via LOS breath -> shootshoothshoot -> rinserepeat. I have probably died more to snow bears/cats more than anything. Jesus christ snow bears.

All in all having fun tho.

KaYotiX

Banned
ScreenShot3.jpg

DAMN I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
PumpkinPie said:
Oblivion is one of my games of the forever but I agree, everything that was wrong with Oblivion is right in Skyrim, it's like Bethesda actually listened to criticism.
It's true. Right off the bat, the combat and stealth are so much more satisfying.

JoeMartin

I guess my biggest complaints would be:

1) WHY CAN I NOT JUMP WHILE SPRINTING. WHY. INFURIATING.

2) And as an offshoot of the above complaint, transition between movement commands and combat commands just feels clunky in general. Takes several button presses or too long for states to change and it makes the whole ordeal just feel unresponsive and in a lot of situations unfun to play.

Luthos

JoeMartin said:
Oh also I have 5 dragon shouts unlocked just from running into random ass dragon fights in the mountains but I can't use any of them? I assume it's because I haven't progressed the main quest like at all. But whatever. Also pretty much every dragon fight is easy as hell to cheese on any given pillar via LOS breath -> shootshoothshoot -> rinserepeat. I have probably died more to snow bears/cats more than anything. Jesus christ snow bears.

All in all having fun tho.

Umm, you do know you need to both find a word wall, and get a dragon soul. Then go into your magic -> shout menu, and actually unlock the shout, right?

BeeDog

What's the fastest way to get money? I'm 2000 coins short of buying the house in Whiterun, and I really want to drop off some of my crap.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wait, I need the claw to open this door but I just looked at my quest thing and the golden claw is actually in this temple somewhere? It says I already killed some dude so I guess he was supposed to be harder than the others so I knew to check the body or something? I'm so confused.

Fjordson

Dice said:
Wait, I need the claw to open this door but I just looked at my quest thing and the golden claw is actually in this temple somewhere? It says I already killed some dude so I guess he was supposed to be harder than the others so I knew to check the body or something? I'm so confused.
Did you cut that Dark Elf out of the web? After killing the giant spider? He has the golden claw on him.

Luthos

Dice said:
...you don't check all the bodies of enemies anyway? My OCD would never allow that.

The claw was on the dark elf that you cut out of the web.

Had another dragon attack Solitude, this time while I was outside of the city. At this rate, I'm gonna have more random attacks on cities than in the countryside.

The dragon skeleton inside the city keeps spazzing out when I enter, too. :lol

Drazgul

BeeDog said:
What's the fastest way to get money? I'm 2000 coins short of buying the house in Whiterun, and I really want to drop off some of my crap.

Five-finger discount works everywhere, pal. Jewelers are nice targets, jewelry has the best weight to value ratio in general. Alchemists after that.

BeeDog said:

I just ran through some dungeons and made multiple fast travel loot runs during each one.

zmoney said:
This is a question for people who've actually moved out of Whiterun and done either the Empire or Rebellion...

If you did the Rebellion...Huge Spoiler if You Haven't Gotten at least 5 quests into that plot line.

holy fucking shit you just sack Whiterun...god damn

I hadn't even started that plot line so yeah, that's for filling me in on that :/

Lyonaz

Good god I love Archery. I was hunting 2 Mammoths and got ambushed by bandits. So I ran between the bandits to let them face the wrath of charging mammoths, two bandits died and the other one I oneshotted with a perfect headshot. Then I ran towards some rocks and circled around it shooting the mammoths in the face, took me like 40 arrows or something. Damn I felt like Legolas in Return of the King.

Drazgul

3chopl0x said:
Yesterday I jokingly said to my housemate that dragons are the new cliff racers.. Little did I know that was actually true.

I wish. A swarm of blighted dragons would be a glorious sight indeed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Luthos said:
...you don't check all the bodies of enemies anyway? My OCD would never allow that.

The claw was on the dark elf that you cut out of the web.
Not so swift after all...

Echoplx

Anyone have any recommendations for a good companion? One that doesn't hang back and do shit all with arrows preferably, spoiler tag if you want.

3chopl0x said:
Yesterday I jokingly said to my housemate that dragons are the new cliff racers.. Little did I know that was actually true.
Except that Dragons are awesome.

3chopl0x said:
Anyone have any recommendations for a good companion? One that doesn't hang back and do shit all with arrows preferably, spoiler tag if you want.
If you start Clavicus Vile's quest, at a certain point you get his hound Barbas as a follower. He's in the shape of a regular dog, but he's immortal, so he's a real boon in combat.

Had him with me for a while before I grew tired of him constantly bumping into me or blocking my path in dungeons. You also can't tell him to wait, so he's not a full-fledged companion.

NBtoaster

Apparently the j in khajiit is pronouced as an h...thats new to me.

Also seems the bast races are treated poorly by the locals in this game (a trader told me theyre not welcome in the cities)..not a family of happy races like oblivion.

NBtoaster said:
Apparently the j in khajiit is pronouced as an h...thats new to me.

Also seems the bast races are treated poorly by the locals in this game (a trader told me theyre not welcome in the cities)..not a family of happy races like oblivion.
Yeah, it's a lot more like in Morrowind. At least the beast races aren't being enslaved here.

Fix The Scientist said:
Apart from whiterun where else can you own a house? I don't want to spend all that money then find somewhere better.

I like the whiterun house. Fast travel there and you are like 10 steps from your front door.

Not sure if the others are this convenient...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom