• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

Kabuki Waq said:
how the fuck is this game getting great reviews? my first couple of hours the impressions has not been good. Clunky Combat, horrible, Animation, bad voice acting, sorta ugly all around.

What? You mean that lots of other people like a game you don't? What is this madness?

So yeah don't fuck with giants early on:

0Xqry.gif

Played 4 hour straight and still want more, killed my fist dragon and have been exploring dungeons and tombs ever since, tough but fun stuff. Got destroyed trying to get to the The College of Winterhold to learn magic so I'll try that later.

Kabuki Waq said:
how the fuck is this game getting great reviews? my first couple of hours the impressions has not been good. Clunky Combat, horrible, Animation, bad voice acting, sorta ugly all around.
The main draw of these games (for me at least) is the sheer amount of detail put into the world and the joy of exploring it. The combat is admittedly pretty bad but no-one is playing it for the combat.

Zeliard

GhaleonEB said:
Could be. It was the second 'dungeon' I'd done, the first of which I cleared.

There's so much to do in this game, it really is overwhelming. I've scratched to exploration bug, so I'm going to head to a city and just really sink into it.

I still haven't really done quests at all because I get too distracted by other stuff. I'll be traveling to some location and while outside I'll spot an NPC doing something or other out of the corner of my eye, or I'll see a new area off in the distance, and I feel compelled to go check it out. Before I know it I'm off doing something completely unrelated to what I originally set out to do.

I only have two tasks I consider set at this point: progress main quest long enough for dragons to start showing up, and 2) get to the College of Winterhold eventually. Everything else, I'm wingin' it.

Wallach said:
It's actually a fairly large place; it's right by the watchtower they send you to from Whiterun (just a bit more West). I figured it might have something to do with a particular NPC there.

Yeah it's possible you need to visit it again in the future for something.

I find it really hard to tell if an npc is an enemy of a friendly.

Hate seeing the npc from far away , having no indication of its intent and sneak attacking it with an arrow only to find out he could have potentially sold me stuff or given me a quest.

Wish someone would release a mod so when you move the crosshair over an npc it tells you its name aka "Bandit, aldur the blind , etc"

AngryMoth

Anyone else encountered the bug where it thinks you're with a companion and therefore an't get anyone to follow you? Its really annoying.

Numpt3

gibon3z said:

Hate seeing the npc from far away , having no indication of its intent and sneak attacking it with an arrow only to find out he could have potentially sold me stuff or given me a quest.

Wish someone would release a mod so when you move the crosshair over an npc it tells you its name aka "Bandit, aldur the blind , etc"

I have this problem with the random events where an npc will come running towards you asking for help, I always think it's a bandit or someone else who's after me. Bow out, fire a few arrows........ Oh crap. :p

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
gibon3z said:

I feel the opposite way. I think it's cool that everybody isn't color coded. Makes it more interesting

gibon3z said:

Yeah I just put an arrow through a guys head when he was only trying to give me a dink :lol. That's why I started making saves before I sneak attack people.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So for a battle mage whats everyone putting their perks/points into? I'm level 4 and I've only raised my magic twice but havent picked any perks yet. Atm, i'm thinking of rolling with 1h/magic as my main weapons unless anyone has suggestions. Also current weapons are flames on left and an ice axe or whatever on my right hand.

FuzzyNorman said:
Sorry for all the questions, but I have a few more if anyone wants to answer:

-I'm early in the game (level 5), but where do you go to start learning conjuration and other types of magic besides destruction? Do you have to go to Winterhold?

Plenty of vendors sell spellbooks. One major early source is the count magician in Whiterun.

-I defeated the first dragon, but is there a way to sell the dragon scales/bones?

A vendor who deals with general items.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Don't think I will continue playing for now. Bad performance, bad texturing, bad combat, bad interface, loot scaling insanity still exist, voice acting is all over the place, probably some other shit that I can't think of right now. The mods cannot come soon enough.

bengraven

Other than the Companions quests and the two dungeons on the other side of the map that I need to investigate, I think Whiterun/Riverwood area is getting quested out. Time to walk to my next town.

I need something cool and atmospheric...preferably dark. How is Riften?

Any suggestions?

_tetsuo_ said:
Don't think I will continue playing for now. Bad performance, bad texturing, bad combat, bad interface, loot scaling insanity still exist, voice acting is all over the place, probably some other shit that I can't think of right now. The mods cannot come soon enough.

Mkay, we'll miss you.

FrankT

Grimm Fandango said:
So yeah don't fuck with giants early on:

0Xqry.gif

I jumped on top of a Dragon with my horse. I wish I had the gif for that one because I was on top of a mountain and I swear I thought I would never land while riding that horse in mid air.

Dresden

I <3 Fire Runes.

Somehow my big Nord bro has evolved into a sneaky Destruction guy with tons of +Speech who sets traps and pulls with dual casting firebolts. <3

The game is surely flawed but it doesn't seem to matter as much when I'm actually playing. I'm sucked in.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I am now a vampire. Does anyone know where to find its unique quests before I cure myself?

I fucking hate Steam right now. Would have been easier to just tour every store in the city to find a copy, than to deal with this suspended update bullshit.

Pollux

and my first glitch. not really a bad one just a pain in the ass. killed a dragon and it didn't burn up and give me its soul. its just lying there dead lol. oh well. anyone else encountered this?

Enco

Kuro Madoushi said:
wait wait...hire a companion?! Where the hell do I do this?!!?!?
Didn't everyone get Lydia in the second main quest?

I got her and because of my decisions, I have the chance to get two other followers too. Sure there are plenty more.

Radiant quest is freaking amazing. A far shot from being perfect but really makes the game feel unique. Everyone will have a different experience.

bengraven said:
Other than the Companions quests and the two dungeons on the other side of the map that I need to investigate, I think Whiterun/Riverwood area is getting quested out. Time to walk to my next town.

I need something cool and atmospheric...preferably dark. How is Riften?

Any suggestions?

Riften is a pretty dark place, but I'd say that you should head for Windhelm instead.

zmoney said:
and my first glitch. not really a bad one just a pain in the ass. killed a dragon and it didn't burn up and give me its soul. its just lying there dead lol. oh well. anyone else encountered this?

Yeah, it happened to me a number of times - I think it's when you get a bounty to kill a dragon you've already killed, the game will let you kill it again and get the quest reward, but won't give you another dragon soul.

Sorry if this has already been asked. I just took the perk to make scaled/plate armor and can't find it when I use the forge.

Is there something special I have to do before I can make this stuff?

I just have the same old elf/dwarf/steel/etc options at the forge - can't see scaled or plate.

Einbroch

Banned
nismogrendel said:
Sorry if this has already been asked. I just took the perk to make scaled/plate armor and can't find it when I use the forge.

Is there something special I have to do before I can make this stuff?

I just have the same old elf/dwarf/steel/etc options at the forge - can't see scaled or plate.
I have the same question. I have no idea.

Just started a game as Wood Elf, so thus have the ability to command animals... however I am too noobish to work out how to use it. I can't seem to equip it like other spells. PC version by the way.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
3chopl0x said:
Feels weird being in the Dark Brotherhood but not being a stealth character..

It really does feel a bit weird. I'm only on the first set of quests, but just being able to walk up to dudes and kill them in broad daylight just doesn't feel right. I'm hoping they start adding some restrictions with the later quests.

stolin

Here's a few selective quotes from the last few pages about the combat. I'm trying to find a way to enjoy it but it seems like it just gets a pass.

Visceir said:
Really disliked oblivion, enjoying Skyrim. I knew the melee combat would be turd and went with pure archer/sneak character.

T Ghost said:
Combat is horrible as well. That said, everything else in this game is gaming heaven.

JoeMartin said:
combat commands just feels clunky in general. Takes several button presses or too long for states to change and it makes the whole ordeal just feel unresponsive and in a lot of situations unfun to play.

newsguy said:
Is there something I'm missing in combat maybe? My fear is "I'm doing it wrong" since I've no experience with this style of game and I'm not enjoying it like others.

Sullichin said:
Yeah the combat is kind of retarded but it's still fun.

Chinpoko_Master said:
The main draw of these games (for me at least) is the sheer amount of detail put into the world and the joy of exploring it. The combat is admittedly pretty bad but no-one is playing it for the combat.

kevm3 said:
Combat is a bit better and moves feel like they have more impact. Combat is quite easy though.

GhaleonEB said:
Great stuff, combat is actually fun rather than a chore.

-PXG- said:
Combat is so much fun in this game. Dual wielding is baller as fuck.

Are there any resources to read about the combat so I can have more fun with it? Some are obviously having fun but it's not satisfying even after 10 hours.

Has anyone created a combat setup that they really enjoy instead of the swords etc. melee style? Care to share ? I've changed to mage and it's a bit better.

Wilsongt

If there is one complaint I have about the PS3 version it would be the camera controls... Why give us a Y-axis option and not X-axis... The control of the x-axis is not intuitive to me... ._.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Random dragons are pissing me off :|.

One just circled above me for a good 3 minutes and never landed, just circled on his same path too far out of range to attack.

On the other hand, I'm having a TON of fun with my character build. Currently @ Level 12, trying to build the ultimate assassin.

Close Combat:
LH: Orcish Dagger, RH: Steel Sword of Sparks
Once you get that dual wielding attacks is 20% faster perk, dual wielding is just beastly.

Archery:
Hunting Bow of Frostbite

Destruction:
Building a Pyromancer, 2H Firebite destroys quite a lot of enemies, especially after halving it's magic cost.

Just finished doing
Red Eagle's
quest, got his sword, it's damn decent :).

Question: What qualifies as an "Undead" in this game?

Is there a trick to opening the second door in Saarthal? There's six movable stones with a animal runes on them but I can't seem to find the right combination.

Antagon

Fighting is for chumps. I just have my companion / atronach do the fighting or just turn my enemies against each other. Sometimes I throw a couple of sword swings in, throw a fireball their way or use a shout to fuck up an enemy, but otherwise I'm not doing too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom