• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, it happened to me a number of times - I think it's when you get a bounty to kill a dragon you've already killed, the game will let you kill it again and get the quest reward, but won't give you another dragon soul.

Ok. Thanks.

With that, best fucking thing ever.

I had
turned into a werewolf to take out a target for the DB and after ran away and was running up a mountain as a werewolf. I hear this dragon roaring so I run up that way and see it and it sees me and comes down and starts to fight. We go at it for a while and I hear another roar and turn around quickly and see a frost troll charging at us. I hit the dragon once more and run at the frost troll. I'm still a werewolf at this point. I get ready to get my ass kicked up these two creatures and as I swing at the troll for my first hit my wolf-man grabs the troll and just tosses him off the side of the mountain, killing him. I turn around and proceed to maul the dragon.

Felt like such a fucking badass.

Enco

stolin said:
Here's a few selective quotes from the last few pages about the combat. I'm trying to find a way to enjoy it but it seems like it just gets a pass.

Are there any resources to read about the combat so I can have more fun with it? Some are obviously having fun but it's not satisfying even after 10 hours.

Has anyone created a combat setup that they really enjoy instead of the swords etc. melee style? Care to share ? I've changed to mage and it's a bit better.
I've started using one hand flame and one hand electricity.

Feels so good and works very nicely. My second favorite is the bow. Brilliant for long range (obviously).

Sword and shield is probably my least favorite but that's probably because my health/blocking sucks and I don't have any good swords.

xxczx

I feel like I've wasted perks.

I started off wearing heavy armor now I've switched to light armor.
Same with two handed weapons to single handed weapons.

I've come too far to restart my character now :/

I'm specializing in 1h and shield with heavy armor but I've done a little restoration leveling... I guess a Paladin of sorts but I was thinking I could do my healing with potions and go into another school of magic such as conjuring.

Any suggestions of something fun to level alongside my 1h + shield build or is restoration a really good choice?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone a vampire in this thread? What quests can I go for before actually curing myself?

Antagon

mikespit1200 said:
Is there a trick to opening the second door in Saarthal? There's six movable stones with a animal runes on them but I can't seem to find the right combination.
There's some pretty obvious clues right in that area. Look a bit closer.

Lyonaz

stolin said:
Has anyone created a combat setup that they really enjoy instead of the swords etc. melee style? Care to share ? I've changed to mage and it's a bit better.
I think ranged combat is the more enjoyable type, seeing as melee is kinda clunky. I'm playing an archer type and having ton of fun, with the occasional dual wield spell/1h for close range.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm pretty sure they're used for crafting dragon armor, it seems to make sense.

I'm also playing archer, and I only melee if I have no other option.

It's great, when I did Missing In Action, I put on my best bow and arrows, snuck around the keep, and one shotted every guard while staying far away enough so I didn't get aggro. Really makes me feel like a badass sniper/assassin.

TP17

Quick question on the quests page; are those found under "miscellaneous" side quests and all others with their own panel main storyline quests?

Noaloha

DID YOU KNOW #57

So. In melee, your Power Attack (hold down the button rather than tap; drains stamina) has a further four different varieties depending on what direction you hold; forward, back, left and right.

Derrick01

Banned
TP17 said:
Quick question on the quests page; are those found under "miscellaneous" side quests and all others with their own panel main storyline quests?

No the miscellaneous quests are usually just for smaller stuff and both main and more substantial side quests are listed seperately.

Haly

Melee combat is a clusterfuck, there should've been some kind of tutorial for it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
stolin said:
Here's a few selective quotes from the last few pages about the combat. I'm trying to find a way to enjoy it but it seems like it just gets a pass.

Are there any resources to read about the combat so I can have more fun with it? Some are obviously having fun but it's not satisfying even after 10 hours.

It is the same with me. I'm a mage and it is nice to be able to dual wield spells, but combat is absolutely brain dead. I just hold both mouse buttons and back up against everything.

sure doesnt take long to find 100 locations. jesus christ. this is the ultimate "I'm gonna go do such-and-such, just let me do this first (which takes the next four hours)" type of game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PC-GAF, does this game seem a bit quiet to you? I've played it with both my speakers and my headphones, and it's noticably quieter than other games and desktop sounds. The in-game settings are cranked. I want the OST/ambient noise/clashing steel to be as loud as it can be.

Snuggler said:
PC-GAF, does this game seem a bit quiet to you? I've played it with both my speakers and my headphones, and it's noticably quieter than other games and desktop sounds. The in-game settings are cranked. I want the OST/ambient noise/clashing steel to be as loud as it can be.

it's pretty loud on my end when im casting spells. very loud and bassy

stolin

_tetsuo_ said:
It is the same with me. I'm a mage and it is nice to be able to dual wield spells, but combat is absolutely brain dead. I just hold both mouse buttons and back up against everything.

Yeah that seems to be the consensus. I wonder why this continuously gets overlooked and given a pass by everyone. It's important to my (and many others) play style. A good satisfying combat system would really draw me into the game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Snuggler said:

There is an ini fix for it. Just check the performance thread.

edit:

Low audio? Set your audio device to 44100hz or lower in your HW's audio properties.
Also fAudioMasterVolume=4.0000 in Skyrim.ini

i don't like the map system in this game. for instance, i'm looking to do a side quest so i set to active. then i push "show on map" and it just kind of goes back to the map but doesn't really show me where it's supposed to be at.

then i had set the destination marker on a spot and now i can't "unset" it even though i've already completed that quest. when i press "A" on a new location it doesn't do anything

playing on PC btw!

Gandie

Cheesecakebobby said:
Just started a game as Wood Elf, so thus have the ability to command animals... however I am too noobish to work out how to use it. I can't seem to equip it like other spells. PC version by the way.

Race-specific powers are bound to the same key as Dragon Shouts, which is "Z" by default.

cackhyena

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i don't like the map system in this game. for instance, i'm looking to do a side quest so i set to active. then i push "show on map" and it just kind of goes back to the map but doesn't really show me where it's supposed to be at.

then i had set the destination marker on a spot and now i can't "unset" it even though i've already completed that quest. when i press "A" on a new location it doesn't do anything

playing on PC btw!
I'm actually annoyed by this as well.

Haly

To unset a custom mark, click an empty space on the map and you'll get an option to set it to the new place , remove it, or leave it alone.

I store my dragon stuff in my house in Whiterun.

Ken

Halycon said:
To unset a custom mark, click an empty space on the map and you'll get an option to set it to the new place , remove it, or leave it alone.

I store my dragon stuff in my house in Whiterun.

Can you just store it in a closet? I've been storing my stuff in a closet inside the Companions HQ but haven't gone back to check to see if someone stole it.

angelfly

-GOUKI- said:
what do you do with the dragon bones and scales? they weigh too much :/
I've been offloading them since I don't have a house and they're just too much of a burden to carry. If I do need more later on I'll just go dragon hunting since they don't seem to be in limited supply.

LeadGandalf said:
Race-specific powers are bound to the same key as Dragon Shouts, which is "Z" by default.
Thanks, I didn't realise there was a specific key/ button (I switched to 360 controller, still can't decide which is better...)

I've actually been loving combat in this game so far. I'm going for a two-hander warrior type with a side order of archery and it's been super satisfying. I've pretty much been able to crush weaker enemies and when I fight larger ones it always feels like my swings have a lot of weight to them. Might mess around with a sword and shield to see what that's like at some point.

Haven't used magic aside from my shouts and a novice healing spell.

TeTr1C

FrenchMovieTheme said:

playing on PC btw!

You have to set a marker somewhere besides over an icon and it'll give you the option to move or remove it.

Haly

Ken said:
Can you just store it in a closet? I've been storing my stuff in a closet inside the Companions HQ but haven't gone back to check to see if someone stole it.
I don't like the idea of storing it in random places.

I'm probably the only active thief in the world anyway but personally, putting my loot in some random container seriously breaks suspension of disbelief.

AEREC

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Anyone else a but more impressed with the game's difficulty (on adept). It's still brain dead easy, but at least you feel if you're not careful you can die.

Ya...enemies by themselves are easy, but in groups they can fuck you up. Difficulty has kind of been all over the place for me on adept. Ill probably raise once I complete the main quest.

Halycon said:
Melee combat is a clusterfuck, there should've been some kind of tutorial for it.

There's a lot of melee combat tips in one of the books you find in the game. I hope people are checking books for skill bonuses and quests as well. Skill bonus books tend to be more valuable when you put the cursor over them. You also get quests from reading books. You don't have to read all the words, just open the book and it will start a quest.

Haly

I like how I only checked books for skills/quests, until I got a house. When I saw that it hasd 3-4 shelves I suddenly became a book collector, grabbing one of everything I can find.

Wallach

Difficulty is great on Master. I'm definitely very anxious when exploring new places as a mage. I think once I hit level 10 I'm going to start doing a 2:1 ratio of magicka to health, because I'm running across more and more things that one-shot me. When trying to scope out some giants around a fire (I had not seen them before in-game), some kind of sabertooth tiger obliterated me from behind; by the time I even heard it I was rolling downhill.

Antagon

I've unlocked an expert level lock in one try with a lockpicking skill of 12 or so today. Of course, behind the door was a deadra dungeon so I got the fuck out. Still, that was a ridiculous amount of luck.

Gowans007 said:
Marking the misc. quests on the map isn't doing anything for me, am I missing something?

You have to 'toggle active' not only the individual Misc. quests, but also the Misc. sub-folder for them to appear on the map.

angelfly

Antagon said:
I've unlocked an expert level lock in one try with a lockpicking skill of 12 or so today. Of course, behind the door was a deadra dungeon so I got the fuck out. Still, that was a ridiculous amount of luck.
I have crap luck with higher level locks. I went through 80% on my picks working on a master level lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom