• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeadGandalf said:
I need 500 more gold for the house in Whiterun. So close!
1. Chop fire wood at general store tree stump
2. Sell at the Bannered Mare.
3. Buy house
4. Profit?
Flame Lord said:
I just killed a dragon and I didn't absorb it. Do I have to deal most of the damage or something?
Nope. Only dragonborn can absorb/steal a dragons power. The lowly plebs fighting dragons with you can't absorb anything.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Bungieware said:
There's a lot of melee combat tips in one of the books you find in the game. I hope people are checking books for skill bonuses and quests as well. Skill bonus books tend to be more valuable when you put the cursor over them. You also get quests from reading books. You don't have to read all the words, just open the book and it will start a quest.

Gotten 2 quests from books, one turned out to be pretty awesome, haven't done the other yet.

Anyway I asked this on the other page but didn't get an answer:

What qualifies as an "Undead" in this game? Skeletons and Draughr's? Is that it?

Also, what happens when I absorb a random dragons soul? What do I get from this?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Souls are used to unlock shouts, although you need to learn the shout from a word wall.

They're scattered around the world here and there, I've found 4 so far including the first one.

I think there are Word walls wherever there is a static dragon place, (not a random encounter dragon), indicated by the dragon head icon on the map.

stolin

rasberryjam said:
I've actually been loving combat in this game so far. I'm going for a two-hander warrior type with a side order of archery and it's been super satisfying.

Hey can you describe a battle then for me ?

My experience with the 2H setup (or any melee weapon) has been run up, aim the reticule as best I can then just mash the attack button as my guy swings like he's cutting through air. Then there some hits, which just seem random, then some blood, health bar down then he's dead.

There's no back & forth clashes, no weak points to aim for, no patterns or tells to learn & exploit, no dodging, there is a shield block but it didn't seem to help. I just never feel like I've made the correct swing to connect. There's just this volume in font of my guy and if there enemy is in it then he could get hit.

I've just come off Dark Souls, Batman AC & next up is Zelda SS so I guess my combat standards are quite high.

oneils

GhaleonEB said:
That can't be it then, as I've canvassed the place a dozen times over now. It's not a huge place, you can walk from one end to the other (including the prison section) in two minutes. And I've spent the better part of half an hour with the place empty and fully looted, looking for something, anything, I might have missed. Still not "Cleared".

I'm just going to conclude it's a broken feature.

Is it fort greymoor?
I don't think that one can be cleared. It rotates between bandits and imperial soldiers. I cleared it of bandits. Next time I showed up, there were imperial soldiers who had taken over. I'm guessing that if I clear it of the soldiers, bandits will take over again.

There is even a servant who walks around in the upper chambers who kind of alludes to this when you talk to her. I think it is a feature, not a bug.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This game really needs a "One at a time, please" mod so bitches STFU if someone is already talking to you. Turning on subtitles now.

angelfly said:
I have crap luck with higher level locks. I went through 80% on my picks working on a master level lock.
Guys, it has nothing to do with luck. Slow the fuck down and take your time. EEEEEAAAAASSSEE the lock around very, very slowly. On 360 controller this is best done by slightly pushing the stick down (not sideways) and if you do that, it shouldn't hit so hard that it stresses the pick.

stolin said:
Hey can you describe a battle then for me ?

My experience with the 2H setup (or any melee weapon) has been run up, aim the reticule as best I can then just mash the attack button as my guy swings like he's cutting through air. Then there some hits, which just seem random, then some blood, health bar down then he's dead.

There's no back & forth clashes, no weak points to aim for, no patterns or tells to learn & exploit, no dodging, there is a shield block but it didn't seem to help. I just never feel like I've made the correct swing to connect. There's just this volume in font of my guy and if there enemy is in it then he could get hit.

I've just come off Dark Souls, Batman AC & next up is Zelda SS so I guess my combat standards are quite high.

Yeah, the combat seems to not have changed at all from Morrowind other than zomg dual wielding swords.
Can't believe sites hyped this game to the moon (perfect 10s) when the game clearly is flat out refusing to improve on some core functions.

Has anyone done the "In my time of need" quest yet? When I pay the guards 100 gold to release the prisoner nothing happens. What do I need to do to get the damn prisoner out?

Diggler

I don't recommend fiddling with the FOV. I pumped it up to 80 earlier and it sorta broke the arm models for me. My shoulder armor is now sticking out in the lower left hand corner and is really conspicious whenever I arm my bow. Even after turning the FOV back down to 65 or so it's still there. Loaded up an earlier save to compare and it's definitely worse, even with a more or less identical FOV. I think once you change the FOV from the default just once, something seems to break in how the arms and shoulder are rendered and it gets saved to your current save file :/ If anyone has any ideas how to revert it please let me know. I tried typing just "fov" and that didn't fix it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm going FOV 85 and have no problems.

Kave_Man said:
Everyone keeps saying my character looks sick or sickly. I have no clue how to check this and if possible cure it.
In your magic menu go to the last option and it will tell you the current status effects on you, including sicknesses. Most of these can be cleared by activating an altar at a religious place.

Gowans

Bootaaay said:
You have to 'toggle active' not only the individual Misc. quests, but also the Misc. sub-folder for them to appear on the map.
Ahh thanks I was toggling the quest but not the sub folder. Will make things 10x easier now.

Derrick01

Banned
zmoney said:
Where do I find a Woodcutters axe to chop wood? Can't find one in the general store

I found one by the pile of chopped wood and stump in Riverwood. Most places with those tend to have one nearby.

oneils

I have a dumb question for the GAFfers.

Is there a way to change your appearance during the game? I would like to give my character a new hair style. Is this possible?

bounchfx

Misanthropy said:
Has anyone done the "In my time of need" quest yet? When I pay the guards 100 gold to release the prisoner nothing happens. What do I need to do to get the damn prisoner out?

that's it.. talk to the prisoner again. He doesn't need to come out to continue the quest
(and probably won't be let out lololol)

Desaan

See You Next Wednesday said:
Yeah, the combat seems to not have changed at all from Morrowind other than zomg dual wielding swords.
Can't believe sites hyped this game to the moon (perfect 10s) when the game clearly is flat out refusing to improve on some core functions.

The combat in all ES games has been slow and deliberate, that's the way it's been designed this is not a flaw. If people who picked up this game thought they where getting the Morrowind version of Dark Souls then I feel sorry for them. Next thing you know people are asking for target locking and VATS mode......

Personally I like the ES combat and I've recently sunk 120+ hours into Dark Souls, but each to their own I guess.

Pollux

Derrick01 said:
I found one by the pile of chopped wood and stump in Riverwood. Most places with those tend to have one nearby.
K thanks. And where are people getting all the different types of ore and ingots for smithing? Is there a place you can buy them?

hemtae

oneils said:
I have a dumb question for the GAFfers.

Is there a way to change your appearance during the game? I would like to give my character a new hair style. Is this possible?

I believe you can use the console on the PC showbarbermenu if its like other Bethesda games

hyduK

Banned
So...I need a little help with the main quest line, not too far in...

For 'The Way of the Voice', I'm at the Greybeard monastery, and they're asking me to shout...but it doesn't seem to be registering. Anyone else have this issue? I get to the part where I need to shout, do so, but they just keep asking me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Anabuhabkuss said:
Anything odd about playing a Mage who is good at hunting (bow and arrow)? Can it be done well?

Sounds good to me.

I'm loving stealth + archery, especially now that I've unlocked the eagle eye perk. It's very satisfying to take out a bandit from 100 yards away with a single arrow. For close encounters, I'm focusing on two handed weapons and destruction.

I have no interest in doing anything but playing this game right now.

W1SSY

Zeth said:
Just started my PS3 version. It's not vastly inferior is it?
I'm playing on PS3 and it has been solid so far except the beginning when the frame rate stutters at points but when you get out into the open it is fine.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm getting the texture bug on 360 regardless of it being installed, so people afraid to install might as well. Helps the loading a lot atleast.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
hemtae said:
I believe you can use the console on the PC showbarbermenu if its like other Bethesda games

I think it's showracemenu. I thought I read about changing haircuts and warpaints but maybe that was a dream.

blame space said:
this game makes me feel like an idiot.. it's overwhelming! really great so far.
It is overwhelming, that's why you gotta pace yourself. Pick up quests for a while, then do nothing but quest for a while to get them out of your journal. You're still likely to end up with about 30 quests to do even if you don't just run around cities accepting every little tedious chore the townspeople want you to do. It also speeds up a lot once you've explored all the major cities and you can fast travel around instead of laboriously walking across the world.

Zhaanie

Banned
For anyone with issues killing Draugr and other Undead monsters, I strongly recommend using silver weapons. I got my ass kicked a few hours ago by a Draugr Overlord (and his pals) which prevented me from getting new shouts.

Then I got a one-handed silver sword from a group of Silver Hand humanoids, and holy shit, the Dragur Overlord went down in like five seconds.

Noaloha

When in the inventory, what do the little triangles next to items' names signify?

I'm buggered if I can find a commonality between the items that have it. At first I thought it signified a +ve in the damage or armour rating (ie. it would have a green armour/damage modifier). After some tinkering, I can see that that's not the case though.

Wallach

oneils said:
I'll try this and snuggler's suggestion. Thanks!

In Oblivion, ShowRaceMenu from console would reset your stats to level 1. Be mindful of that if it does work and double check things before saving.

Made a new Orc Warrior!

2011-11-12_0001895f6s.jpg

2011-11-12_00017ojfph.jpg

2011-11-12_00009kscg1.jpg

coopolon

So I really did not like my first character, an altmer destruction with some leveling in one handed and the other magic skills. Almost all the perks went into destruction.

So I made a new one, a Breton focused on conjuration/archery.

Was initially planning on using light armor to sneak around and get sneak bonus, but in reality my pets just run ahead and attack everything and I rarely ever get a sneak bonus. So I'm thinking about changing over to heavy armor instead (I'm still pretty early on, only at like 18 light armor or something.) My biggest concern is moving slowly and not having inventory space. Any thoughts about this?

Bows kick ass in this game btw. Is there any way to make your own arrows though?

hyduK said:
So...I need a little help with the main quest line, not too far in...

For 'The Way of the Voice', I'm at the Greybeard monastery, and they're asking me to shout...but it doesn't seem to be registering. Anyone else have this issue? I get to the part where I need to shout, do so, but they just keep asking me.

you have to hit them w/ your shout

Pollux

damn when you're decked out in dwarven armor you turn into a damn tank. you're huge. the dwarven helmets are badass also.

Divius

Been playing all day. Around level 20 now, focusing on sneaking/archery. I just joined the
Thief Guild
and the
Dark Brotherhood
while exploring dungeons left and right and killing dragons. Loving the game, even though it is way too similar to Oblivion, but I don't really mind.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wallach said:
In Oblivion, ShowRaceMenu from console would reset your stats to level 1. Be mindful of that if it does work and double check things before saving.

I just used it to give my elf a haircut, and my stats appear to be fine. So it should be safe to use, but save first anyways.

Deadbeat

Banned
coopolon said:
Was initially planning on using light armor to sneak around and get sneak bonus, but in reality my pets just run ahead and attack everything and I rarely ever get a sneak bonus. So I'm thinking about changing over to heavy armor instead (I'm still pretty early on, only at like 18 light armor or something.) My biggest concern is moving slowly and not having inventory space. Any thoughts about this?
Good News: Heavy Armor tree has a perk that makes it so whatever armor you have equipped will equal 0 weight.

Bad News: You have to go through 2 bad perks to get to it.

Derrick01

Banned
Aw man I stumbled across an area on a small mountain that had a dragon resting on top and a goddamn Lich in a box. Needless to say I got wrecked.

coopolon

Deadbeat said:
Good News: Heavy Armor tree has a perk that makes it so whatever armor you have equipped will equal 0 weight.

Bad News: You have to go through 2 bad perks to get to it.

Hahaha, oh god, I just read them. Falling and punching as heavy armor perks? Who thought that was a good idea?

Sanic

Found some kind of camp near one of the towns. Was attacked by two men who apparently set up the camp. Killed them, started to loot the place. 2-3 minutes go by and I see three more people walking towards the camp. They see me and immediately attack.

Pretty neat. I don't remember anything that dynamic in Oblivion, but it's been awhile.

taoofjord

This game is amazing! And that's comign from someone who hasn't liked a bethesda game since Morrowind. They really made the world and characters feel more alive... with the conversations flowing far more organically than in just about any other rpg (outside of The Witcher 2). I hope it keeps up the quality past Whiterun because everything about the game is fantastic so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom