• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rad-

Snuggler said:
I ditched my Nord lackey as soon as I came across a fellow Dark Elf for hire. Now we rolling around like it's Vvardenfall.

c47526c691c7c9500dcad6876f58eef1682da362.jpg

How is she strength wise? I wanted to recruit her but was scared it would be a waste of money and she would die too fast. That Lydia chick is an amazing tank.

I'm finding that my Nord Battlemage (shuddup) likes to use a combo of Heal/Flames.

Is Heal/Weapon a good investment for my new character? Seems like it would be.

Mindlog

Lyonaz said:
Man I love these books you can find in Skyrim. Came upon a book called The Lusty Argonian Maid v2.
It's hilarious. I'm gonna make it my life mission to collect every volume.
In my game there is a barrel at the mage college with enough books to fill that pathetic library.

So far so good. I also have a dresser full of varied armors and an impossibly cramped end table full of crafting materials.

Currently using a High-Elf? 2 Handed Mage. The stun when two handing helps a lot.

Zeliard

Jenassa is who I've been using. She's pretty capable. She's particularly fun to hunt stuff with. I gave her a bow and she has a habit of finishing off elk and such who start running away after I douse them in flames. An arrow to the back of the head and they tumble across the ground dead.

Derrick01

Banned
Just got to Windhelm and a decent snowstorm started up, makes the graphics look so good.

It would look even better if cities didn't tank my framerate to the 35-45 range, but it looks good.

Warning, this is a rant:

Bought the game five hours ago, still can't play. There is an update that won't download in Steam, it's been stuck at Suspended all day and it says the game is not available when I try to launch it.

I'm baffled that Steam doesn't offer real technical support for these kinds of problems. I paid 60 dollars for a game that won't even launch from the Steam menu, and apparently it's my job to fruitlessly scour dozens of forums for hours upon end. Great customer service you got there Valve.

Wallach

Woorloog said:
Xbox 360 so that's not an option. And wouldn't do it regardless, that always left me feeling like cheater in Morrowind/Oblivion so cannot do that and continue playing. It's the whole game with cheating or no cheating at all to me.

EDIT decision made, i'll start a new. I need a name for my male orc. Starts with gro-, right?

Surnames start with gro- for males and gra- for females.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Derrick01 said:
Just got to Windhelm and a decent snowstorm started up, makes the graphics look so good.

It would look even better if cities didn't tank my framerate to the 35-45 range, but it looks good.

If only my tanking was 35-45 fps :(

Woorloog

Banned
Wallach said:
Surnames start with gro- for males and gra- for females.
Read that from UESP, i shouldn't have forgotten that... thanks for another reminded though :)

I love how the game starts really. Better than Morrowind or Oblivion beginning IMO.

SHarris78 said:
I'm going through the early mission 'The Golden Claw'.

I get to the part where you have 3 animal pictures on a wall which you can 'activate', and i know i have to put them in the order that is on the Golden Claw. Problem is, all 3 pictures on the wall are of owls, plus when i press E to activate nothing happens.

Anyone else had this problem?

Try Snake, Snake, Fish

Full on mage v mage battles in this game are fucking intense. Especially when we're both dual casting sparks like a full on Emperor Palpatine... I'm watching his health shrink, while keeping an eye on my health and magicka, there's explosions and objects flying around the room. So chaotic. :D

Wallach

Are dragon bones and dragon scales used in anything other than crafting light/heavy armor? Like is there a reason as a mage who doesn't wear armor I should keep these things? They are fucking heavy and I am poor.

Lyonaz said:
Man I love these books you can find in Skyrim. Came upon a book called The Lusty Argonian Maid v2.
It's hilarious. I'm gonna make it my life mission to collect every volume.
The Mage College in Winterhold has a library with about 15 squintillion books in it. Probably a good place to go and steal them.

epmode

Wallach said:
Are dragon bones and dragon scales used in anything other than crafting light/heavy armor? Like is there a reason as a mage who doesn't wear armor I should keep these things? They are fucking heavy and I am poor.
I believe they're worthless for anyone who isn't into armor. I'm considering selling mine and just going with that Mage Armor perk. Pure mage is fun!

GhaleonEB

stolin said:
Here's a few selective quotes from the last few pages about the combat. I'm trying to find a way to enjoy it but it seems like it just gets a pass.
Are there any resources to read about the combat so I can have more fun with it? Some are obviously having fun but it's not satisfying even after 10 hours.

Has anyone created a combat setup that they really enjoy instead of the swords etc. melee style? Care to share ? I've changed to mage and it's a bit better.
I'm playing with a heavy emphasis on archery, which is great in this game. Even on the current difficulty setting, I'm downing a lot of guys in one shot from sneak (flame bow plus poison helps). I've had quite a few enjoyable shootouts, such as assaulting a fort last night, as well.

WanderingWind said:
I feel the opposite way. I think it's cool that everybody isn't color coded. Makes it more interesting

It's a little different when your primary character is an archer.

Distance is my friend and being able to identity friend or foe from a distance would help so much.

Also got a problem.

Arrow in my head cant seem to remove it. Any way to get rid of arrows ?

2470164AB9C568D80985DB40341C6148D121371D

lastplayed said:
Full on mage v mage battles in this game are fucking intense. Especially when we're both dual casting sparks like a full on Emperor Palpatine... I'm watching his health shrink, while keeping an eye on my health and magicka, there's explosions and objects flying around the room. So chaotic. :D
Mages are realy great in Skyrim. Way more fun then in Oblivion! And the mage questline so far is just awesome!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Clevinger said:
Have you done the first quest in the main quest line?
They start entering the world after that, I'm told.
I'm level 9 and I haven't touched the main quest yet.
Oh that must be it! I haven't done the first quest yet... wow haha

MarkusRJR

How accessible is the game to a newcomer? I've never played any of the Elder Scrolls but my friends keep urging me to play it. It seems kind of like a Zelda game in first person (minus puzzles) from the Youtube videos I've been looking at. The only thing that worries me is that I can't aim at all with dual analog sticks (I have to play shooters on the Wii/PS Move because it's so cumbersome to aim on my PS3 otherwise). Do I need to be good at aiming to play the game?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rad- said:
How is she strength wise? I wanted to recruit her but was scared it would be a waste of money and she would die too fast. That Lydia chick is an amazing tank.

I haven't had her long, but she seems pretty helpful. She dual wields blades up close,

SHarris78 said:
I'm going through the early mission 'The Golden Claw'.

I get to the part where you have 3 animal pictures on a wall which you can 'activate', and i know i have to put them in the order that is on the Golden Claw. Problem is, all 3 pictures on the wall are of owls, plus when i press E to activate nothing happens.

Anyone else had this problem?

are you pressing "E" on the individual sections of the cogs or are you pressing "E" on the middle panel? you move each individually and the aiming on where you want to move it needs to be precise.

not sure if that's what you're trying but if so maybe it's a glitch

Wallach

epmode said:
I believe they're worthless for anyone who isn't into armor. I'm considering selling mine and just going with that Mage Armor perk. Pure mage is fun!

Anyone else seen any way to use these other than crafting light or heavy armor? Seems kinda crappy if I can't actually make robes or something, but I'll still sell them just to be rid of their weight.

Jubbly

LeadGandalf said:
Is there a way to get a bookshelf in the first house in
Whiterun

Yes, you can buy one as part of the upgrade packages (it's the one with the alchemy table, can't remember the name).

Can someone help me out with where I am stuck (about 4 hours in)
I am climbing up the mountain to the Greybeards place and there is something that looks like really cold wind blocking my path. Any idea how to get past it? Did I miss something? Thanks!

CoachKevin said:
I am climbing up the mountain to the Greybeards place and there is something that looks like really cold wind blocking my path. Any idea how to get past it? Did I miss something? Thanks!

have you tried
using the dragon shout that is unlocked when you defeat the first dragon

Zeth

Just started a red guard battle mage and this is my first TES game besides messing around a bit with Morrowind. Can I still be stealthy just by sneaking around and picking pockets or do I need to invest heavily in those things in a way that would prevent me from using the flamethrower and battle mace?

Divius

CoachKevin said:
bro-tip: you are looking for a bunch of
stairs
, I tried climbing the mountain for like an hour while circling it, no success.

wwm0nkey said:
Being a Werewolf = god tier. Loving this game so much.
YOU CAN BE A WEREWOLF?..WAT!

Did not know that, awesome.

QP3

CoachKevin said:
I think you have past where the graybeards are. Trying turning around.

You need a shout in order to clear that path, which doesn't come until later on.

Zhaanie

Banned
GhostRidah said:
You have to feed so people wont attack you.

Campster said:
Nerdy explanation as to why (for Zhaanie's benefit): In Elder Scrolls lore if you don't feed you start trending towards the daedric evil that spawned the vampiric curse. You start getting more of the vampiric powers, but also their weaknesses (sunlight, etc). Also, your vampirism starts becoming.... apparent. You start looking evil and hideous, and people will attack you on sight because hey, it's one of those evil goddamned vampires we've heard so much about. It's a neat balancing act between having to feed to keep your humanity and becoming a monster but gaining great power.

Hey, thanks! I have another dumb question though.. how do I feed? I've not seen any option to do so yet

SHarris78

Thanks for the couple of replies on my earlier post about the Golden Claw quest glitch.

Apparently, the first time you look at the stones they're all owls. You need to leave that particular cavern and go back in for the game to reload it, only then will they appear as 3 different animals and you can unlock the door.

Phew, was worried i'd have to restart my game for a bit (not that i'm far in mind!)

Loxley

CoachKevin said:

If you are where I think you are, you actually cannot get past that barrier yet.
After you have your shout training with the Greybeards, one of the them mentions "When you are worthy/ready you will be able to meet [the guy] at the top of the Throat of the World".
Basically you might be pointing yourself in the wrong direction, double check where your map is telling you to go.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Performance bothers me so much that I might just go get a new video card. Then I will get angry all over again when the game only uses 40% of the gpu :-/

jfkgoblue

xtrasauce said:
Warning, this is a rant:

Bought the game five hours ago, still can't play. There is an update that won't download in Steam, it's been stuck at Suspended all day and it says the game is not available when I try to launch it.

I'm baffled that Steam doesn't offer real technical support for these kinds of problems. I paid 60 dollars for a game that won't even launch from the Steam menu, and apparently it's my job to fruitlessly scour dozens of forums for hours upon end. Great customer service you got there Valve.
thankfully it isn't skyrim, but I still can't play my steam copy of la noire because it refuses to launch.... and yeah steam support sucks

Derrick01

Banned
Oh man I just got that perk in the pickpocket tree that gives an extra 100 pounds of weight capacity.

THANK YOU! I've been struggling with weight pretty much since Riverwood in the very beginning, haven't been able to dip under 230 pounds. Now I've got a limit around 450.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom