• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Realyn said:
Strong if you ask me. You can either click M1,M2,M1,M2 and swing each hand fast or M1+M2 for a strong combo of 4 hits. Combo deals shitload of dmg.
Favorites with DW is bugged, atleast for me. If you have 2 Iron Swords you can fav them on lets say 3, press 3 twice and DW them. But if you have a Mace and a Sword and put them on 4 and 5, you wont be able to DW them by pressing 4,5. You need to hit 4, open favorites and right click on the other weapon.
I'm on the 360 so the basic favourites menus will do me fine.

Sounds good, though. I'm so strong with a bow and 1H already, figure I might as well try fighting with a secon 1H. Would be a nice combo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fjordson said:
Anyone a dual-wielder? How is it?

It does a lot of damage. I was using a shield for a while, but found it to be not-so-useful since the combat in this game is not technical at all and is all about spamming attacks and potions. It's best to just run up to a guy, stop, then hold down both attack buttons.

Dina

Fjordson said:
Anyone a dual-wielder? How is it?

I am, granted I'm an archer primarily, but some do get close.

It's pretty cool since I didn't think blocked helped me lots. It's especially great when you have two weapons with special shit. I had a lefthander which feared enemies, while my right hander just whacked them. Easier than constantly switching, although I don't think the damage is up to par when compared to 2H weapons.

Realyn

Realyn said:
question about dragons

so far I fought the story one, then one called "Dragon" attacking river...forgot the name and now "Blood Dragon" who gave me a ice shout as well. Question is, are there drags with a theme like fire, ice, blood and random ones simply called "Dragon" ?

edit: the Blood Dragon fight was pretty epic tbh. Playing on very hard and only way to kill him was with bow while healign my companion. Companions are kinda broke anyway if you ask me. They tank so much damage, but sadly you need them bad on very hard.
anyone?

Ledsen

Lyonaz said:
Man I love these books you can find in Skyrim. Came upon a book called The Lusty Argonian Maid v2.
It's hilarious. I'm gonna make it my life mission to collect every volume.

That book dates all the way back to Morrowind. Most of these books have been in the series for a long time :)

Dina

epmode said:
I believe they're worthless for anyone who isn't into armor. I'm considering selling mine and just going with that Mage Armor perk. Pure mage is fun!

Wait, shit. I've been selling them. Bad move? Maybe I can rebuy them and just stick em in my house.

Fletcher

The sense of exploration is so great in this game. So much better than Oblivion. I have just been wandering through mountains and getting excited when I stumble upon some ruins. Most of the times these ruins lead to quests. So good.

rataven

Figures Skyrim would be the game to send my launch 60GB to the PS3 graveyard.

Was right in the middle of riding some river rapids. Where I was going, who knows, but it was hilariously fun.

Grabbed a slim from Best Buy so starting over (which is actually ok because my dark elf turned out really hideous)

Dina

CoachKevin said:
Can someone help me out with where I am stuck (about 4 hours in)
I am climbing up the mountain to the Greybeards place and there is something that looks like really cold wind blocking my path. Any idea how to get past it? Did I miss something? Thanks!

You probably need to unlock more shouts. I bet the path to the Greybeards Grand Master is up there and you need to hit a certain main story trigger to get past that.

Ledsen

Yaceka said:
How accessible is the game to a newcomer? I've never played any of the Elder Scrolls but my friends keep urging me to play it. It seems kind of like a Zelda game in first person (minus puzzles) from the Youtube videos I've been looking at. The only thing that worries me is that I can't aim at all with dual analog sticks (I have to play shooters on the Wii/PS Move because it's so cumbersome to aim on my PS3 otherwise). Do I need to be good at aiming to play the game?

It has nothing at all in common with Zelda really. It's an exploration-based action RPG with light-medium stat management. Should be no problem for anyone to handle, and no, you don't need to aim fast. You can even go full melee and never have to aim anything.

TheExodu5

Banned
Thief/Assassin is damned fun. Tip to any stealth character out there: get Detect Life. Incredibly useful spell for sneaking around.

Thinking of going either Alchemy/Enchanting. Any tips or preference? Enchanting seems like it would be much more useful overall since I can double the effectiveness of armor enchants I put on.

Hari Seldon

LMAO I get home from running errands and fire up Steam and EVERY one of my friends list is playing Skyrim. I normally am not a fan of co-op but god damn being that everyone and their brother bought this game I kind of wish it had it haha.

eso76

Salazar said:
Have a think about how you are going to handle the
Snow Troll
who is along the path.

i avoided it eventually.
i just climbed the rock on the left and jumped down once i was on the other side and didn't have to face it.
i kept getting killed : \

Drazgul

FHIZ said:
Seriously, has anyone else had this stupid Farkas glitch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yIJ7mBRq-Q

I've tried everything.

Enter command console, target him and 'stopcombat' (depending on the bug, he might enter it right away again tho)? Or try 'tcai' to toggle off all combat processing temporarily.

And geez, those casters... My glorious steel plate isn't worth crap. Guess I need to start working on Restoration for dem wards.

Zhaanie

Banned
Vampirism fucking sucks, how am I supposed to feed when people detect me immediately? I can't even get into towns, and that invisibility spell seems to have no effect whatsoever. T_T

ironcreed

Banned
GeoramA said:
The OST is so brilliant. Way less repetitive than Oblivion.

The game itself is brilliant. I love it so much I think I am going to double dip and get the PS3 version as well. As I am going to be playing this game more than any other, so I might as well. Plus, it will give my 360 some rest while still being able to switch back and forth between different characters.

LuchaShaq

Banned
xtrasauce said:
Warning, this is a rant:

Bought the game five hours ago, still can't play. There is an update that won't download in Steam, it's been stuck at Suspended all day and it says the game is not available when I try to launch it.

I'm baffled that Steam doesn't offer real technical support for these kinds of problems. I paid 60 dollars for a game that won't even launch from the Steam menu, and apparently it's my job to fruitlessly scour dozens of forums for hours upon end. Great customer service you got there Valve.

Valve has little/no customer service.

When I got locked out of my account it took them 2+weeks to get back to me.

bengraven

Wait, am I getting this right?

Find Word -> kill dragon -> absorb soul = new shout
Kill Dragon -> absorb soul -> find word = no shout

Did I kill a dragon and get nothing out of it but 3 bones?

longer: I had not found a word in the wild or dungeons, but killed a dragon that attacked me. I absorbed the soul, but got no power. So I crawl down to where the dragon had been perched and there's a word...I read the word, but still no power.

The Shout I learned about from the Word is greyed out, saying I need a dragon soul. WTF did I just do five minutes earlier?

Zefah said:
Ugh. Going to join the Stormcloaks and I'm asked, "Why's a foreigner want to fight for Skyrim?".

I'm a Nord.

Hello, outlander.

(every Elder Scrolls game assumes you're not from that province...so your dark elf was a foreign born elf, your imperial was from another province, and your nord is from somewhere else...which is why they caught him/her sneaking INTO Skyrim).

Rokk

Neo Member
Skyrim is awesome, anecdote time:

I just fast travelled to a city with my horse and as soon as I got there everyone starts screaming, I turn around and a dragon lands right on top of me, blasts me with frost, eats my horse and flies off again. Son of a bitch.

Concept17

rataven said:
Figures Skyrim would be the game to send my launch 60GB to the PS3 graveyard.

Was right in the middle of riding some river rapids. Where I was going, who knows, but it was hilariously fun.

Grabbed a slim from Best Buy so starting over (which is actually ok because my dark elf turned out really hideous)

This exact same thing happened to me a week ago with Arkham City. I knew it was on its last legs. Picked up the UC3 bundle at BB, so now I have all 3 games. :D

That being said, this game is fucking awesome. The only thing bothering me at times is that fallout feel it sometimes has. Not that FO is a bad game, its just.. well much different.

Just love all the random shit in the game. And I really really really wish more open world games would rid the UI of radar. Such a great design choice to force the player to learn and become a little more familiar with their whereabouts. Also: crafting is actually fun in this game. A first for me.

Rokk

Neo Member
bengraven said:
Wait, am I getting this right?

Find Word -> kill dragon -> absorb soul = new shout
Kill Dragon -> absorb soul -> find word = no shout

Did I kill a dragon and get nothing out of it but 3 bones?

longer: I had not found a word in the wild or dungeons, but killed a dragon that attacked me. I absorbed the soul, but got no power. So I crawl down to where the dragon had been perched and there's a word...I read the word, but still no power.

The Shout I learned about from the Word is greyed out, saying I need a dragon soul. WTF did I just do five minutes earlier?

Does it say you have a dragon soul in the bottom right when you're on the Shouts screen? If so you should be able to unlock the new shout

bengraven

Rokk said:
Does it say you have a dragon soul in the bottom right when you're on the Shouts screen? If so you should be able to unlock the new shout

Do I have to click something? I didn't know that you could store souls. I'll have to check, but thanks!

FHIZ

Firebrand said:
Yes, I whined about it earlier in this thread a few times. I found a save where it didn't happen, traced it to being caused by a bounty after murdering some random traveller. Do you have any bounties?
No idea, can I check somehow?

KingK

I've played for 13 hours since last night. I still haven't been to any major city other than Windhelm and I've only killed one dragon....I just keep getting distracted with stuff. I am a member of the Companions now though.

The music and atmosphere in this game is amazing. I've found my one-handed and magic combo to be pretty effective so far. I'm about to keep playing after eating something, lol.

Pollux

Has anyone figured out what the little red X marks on the map are for?

Also, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I may put this game ahead of Morrowind as my favorite TES game. Still need a little more time to decide though.

Reveirg

I've never played any Elder Scrolls games and I'm generally really not attracted to WRPGs.

Picked this one up earlier today without really thinking about it (I guess all the hype got to me even though I didn't look into the game at all...)

Any tips for a new player to the franchise?

EDIT: I am a big fan of Demon's/Dark Souls. Is it as similar as it looks?

Rokk

Neo Member
bengraven said:
Do I have to click something? I didn't know that you could store souls. I'll have to check, but thanks!

Yeah. If you've got a soul stored and you're hovering over a new word / shout you want to unlock, there should be a prompt to unlock it using a soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom