• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
No desire to hire a companion right now. Level 10 and just killed the
story related dragon.
. I'm about to buy a house and begin doing side quests and shit.

Ive seen it asked, so I figured I'd contribute my non-melee focused character.

Archery, I'm maxing every perk. There's no reason not to if I'm going to focus mainly in it. 16 points is a lot, but given that this is how I'm doing my damage, and the usefulness of each side, I feel it pays for itself.

Alchemy, I'm going to work in at least 6 points. Increased poison effects and increased healing benefits, all the way up to the Puirty perk. I just enchant my bow with poison and lay waste.

Speech, I'm mainly using it for the increased sale price. The decision to go deeper will be based on my feelings later on down the line. Since I'll be plowing through arrows like woah, and good arrows aren't cheap, it seems fair to me. 5 points isn't terrible.

Light Armor, there's potential for 9 points, possible maxed. It depends on if I find myself wearing a full matching set or not for the Matching Set perk. But given the fact that I'll be wearing all light armor, its probably smart.

That right there is 37 points if I take full 10 in Light Armor. That gives me 13 soft points and 33 hard points (soft being the easy to get points up to level 50).

Options I'm considering given the nature of the playstyle...

Restoration, I could pump 6 points in. All the way up the tree for 50% reduction, and the 50% bonus to healing. That right there should provide me ample healing. No need for the dual cast in my opinion.

Enchanting, wow, I could either go ape shit here or not at all. Based on how I feel about the ease of enchanting (I've not dabbled in it yet), I will either go 0/8/11. I'm going to avoid the right half entirely, and it's between middle path with 5 in Enchanter, or left and middle with 5 in Enchanter.

Destruction, I don't use a lot of magic, but if I find any awesome spells, I may invest 4/8 points in the frost side and up the Master Destruction. I prefer frost as it typically debilitates the enemy which allows me to run out and get a good shot with my bow. It also allows me to pull out my sword and slash a few if I need to.

If I went max on the three above, that would still only use 25 of the 33 points available. So there is still some freedom.

One thing I'm not doing is using points in either One-Handed or Block. I don't use my sword enough to merit perks and shields are too much of a hassle to deal with. I typically have one equipped because of the passive benefits (assuming they work like that), but I seldom block. I may skip and either dual wield (which I could argue 3 points in the tree) or sword and spell for when I need it, which would use up 0 or 1-5 points.

The premise of the build is archer warrior. I'm not trying to be stealthy, although I do my fair share of sneaking and lock picking and stealing, but I'm not playing a thief/assassin. The benefits obtained from leveling the skill and passive enchant bonuses (I carry two extra bracers, one with +25% Lockpick and the other with +15% Pickpocket) have been fine. Getting enough lockpicks to pass a master lock isn't bad, just have the gear and patience.

On top of that, the poison boosts on the weapon will help, as will enchanting my gear with damage boosts and skill boosts. There is some wiggle room with perks to make the build cater towards magic heavy users, and I think that's what I like about it. I don't feel like I have to chose purely one side or the other. I don't enjoy huge broadswords or battle axes, so two-handers and heavy were an easy skip on this run (and possibly every other run - its completely not my cup of tea).

Sorry for the long post, but I figured sharing a little insight for those curious on what route they are considering would be a welcome addition to this fast as shit topic, haha.

On another note, dragons do tail swipe for whomever was saying they don't earlier. At least that's what it seems like. I can't figure out how I would have died so many times while standing on the hind leg of the dragon otherwise, soo....

Fun game, yay for my house, time to keep playing!

Cutwolf

1. I think the CTD has something to do with steam. It does the crash whenever I try to take screenshots as well. No message, just crashes.

2. Just found the Daedra
Sanguine
. The
summoning staff he gives you summons a kickass demon looking dude who 1 or 2 shots the apprentice mages in caves

Zhaanie said:
Hey, thanks! I have another dumb question though.. how do I feed? I've not seen any option to do so yet
Sneak up on people who are sleeping, it will say pickpocket but when you do you will get a option to feed or pickpocket.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Wallach said:
What are you playing it on?

Heavily OCed GTX 480. The game hovers around 30-40fps most of the time at 1080 ultra settings, no tweaks. In the 20s in Whiterun and occasionally at other times as well.

Wallach

_tetsuo_ said:
Heavily OCed GTX 480. The game hovers around 30-40fps most of the time at 1080 ultra settings, no tweaks. In the 20s in Whiterun and occasionally at other times as well.

Huh, doesn't really sound right. Have you tried the High setting instead of Ultra? Using the High setting with FXAA it's usually 60 FPS, but I've seen it get down to 30 when looking particular directions in Whiterun. That's only on a 5850. Make sure you aren't using d3doverrider either.

ElyrionX said:
Anyone else not feeling the mage?

I started off really strongly but now I'm at level 11 with Destruction at level 35 and all available Destruction perks already picked (including the 25% damage ones). I also picked Magicka at every level so I've got 250 Magicka now.

But I'm struggling a bit with some enemies in some of my recent battles. My mana drains too fast and I'm not dealing damage quickly enough. Also, I'm not sure if it's my imagination but dual casting spells doesn't seem to be more efficient than casting them singularly.

Also, the 60 seconds timer on the defensive spells like Oakflesh and Stoneflesh are annoying. It runs out too quickly and constantly recasting them before each battle is really annoying.
Dual Casting those Alteration armor spells will double the duration. There's also a perk in the Alteration tree I believe that raises the duration. Since you have so much mana just dual cast Stoneflesh and it will last 120 seconds. There's also a relatively low level Alteration perk (25 or 30) that will dramatically boost those armor spells armor values if your physical armor value is 0 - I want to say it's called "Mage Armor".

Also, 250 Magicka isn't that much... especially if you're choosing magicka every level. I'm level 11 as well, playing a Stealth Assasin character with some side skills in Alteration/Illusion and I have more mana I think. Are you enchanting your gear? Early in the game you get a magic hood and robe. The hood gives you +30 Magic. Go to an echanting table and disenchant it and, if you get some Grand Soul Gems, you'll be able to enchant +20 Magic on a few pieces of armor.

wwm0nkey said:
Being a Werewolf = god tier. Loving this game so much.

Question now is can you be a werewolf vampire ?

Vampire traits seem useful for my stealth character. Combine that with the sweet werewolf and we have a winning combination.

bounchfx

15 hours in, barely felt like I've scratched the surface. SO awesome.

HOWEVER. Why the fuck don't the icons change when you 'complete' a dungeon? I love the fact that it says they're complete - that's awesome, but the amount you'll find during normal play means later on when you go back to hit up ones you haven't finished yet, you have to sift through every. single. icon. to see which you haven't done. It's still better than Oblivion, but I figure an icon color change wouldn't be difficult AT ALL.

Was fighting a dragon. The dragon lifts off.
Attacks an giant. The giant joins me in the fight with the dragon.
We beat the dragon. Then the giant attacks me. After 5 min i kill the giant.

Shit was intense.

Realyn

question about dragons

so far I fought the story one, then one called "Dragon" attacking river...forgot the name and now "Blood Dragon" who gave me a ice shout as well. Question is, are there drags with a theme like fire, ice, blood and random ones simply called "Dragon" ?

edit: the Blood Dragon fight was pretty epic tbh. Playing on very hard and only way to kill him was with bow while healign my companion. Companions are kinda broke anyway if you ask me. They tank so much damage, but sadly you need them bad on very hard.

stufte

angelfly said:
What does it mean when a stat turns green when leveling?

I think that it means that the stat is being augmented by a piece of equipment you have on. (stamina boosting necklace, etc.)

*edit* jeez this thread is quick....

TheExodu5

Banned
So I just completed a quest where I had to get 4 journals and turn them in to the thieves guild. He says "As promised here's payment...", and yet I get nothing. Bugged quest?

Hugs

Snow Saber Tigers and Wolves giving me a hard time
climbing up to the Greybeards for the first time
. Any advice? Level 12 single handed character rocking heavy dwarven armour.

FStop7

Banned
Mod suggestion - make it so the crosshair automatically appears and disappears when you draw/sheathe your bow. Leaving it on when just walking around is so annoying, it really disrupts the environment. But it comes in pretty handy when shooting at distant targets.

eso76

my first proper encounter
with a non scripted dragon
was unbelievably awesome.

Wandering through the hills at night, soundtrack gone quiet i can hear the wind, the leaves, the crickets chirping.
Three lights, moving in the distance: guards holding torches i imagine, walking along the path.

Suddenly, the aurora fills the sky (i didn't even know the game featured anything like that) with the music gently awakening to it.
Just magnificient.

I look up to that and whatever that black shadow moving across the sky is, i just don't register it. My eyes do catch some movement i think, but it's gone already and i'm left with a very vague sense of uneasiness.

When i look down again i see the three torches getting closer, they seem to be moving quickly now and they're scattered around.. Almost as if...

I keep moving forward, past the hill and the vista opens up to show the valley below. Suddenly the body of a giant mammooth climbing out of it and running towards me fills my entire field of view. Past me. And a second one and a third one, so close the subwoofer kicks the room.
...as if they were running away ...

"dragon !" someone yells in the distance.

chanting from the main theme kicks in and shakes the living room as the dragon drops in front of me.

Now, the first dragon you encounter in the main quest is easy to kill.
This one isn't.
I'm burnt to a crisp in a matter of seconds.

Fuck me if that wasn't one of the most amazing experiences in my 35 years long career as a gamer

Despite my character not being up to the task i decide to try again right away.
But this time there's no aurora, mammooths are placidly grazing in the moonlight, guards end their patrolling at dawn. And not a single dragon was spotted that night.

Salazar

Hugs said:

Have a think about how you are going to handle the
Snow Troll
who is along the path.

Realyn

Hugs said:
Run. ;D

Im playing it with my gf(She Xbox, me PC) and she really isn´t a gamer. So when see kept dieing to a troll/saber cats she wanted to dump the difficulty down. I kinda had to explain that this is the way (GOOD !) open world RPG´s work. Like Morrowind - you are weak, you are lost and you don´t really know what to do. Epic feeling! :)

Sephon

Man, up to 22 hours now.

Had no problem with dragons, I think I've slain 4 dragons now, and on one encounter there was 2 dragons at once. Although only one attacked, the other just sat on top of the mountain and looked at us for a while before flying away.

Got my heart pumping pretty fast though.
Also, I love when you encounter a dragon, the music pumps up, you start looking around, hear a "WHOOSCH" and feel the controller vibrate and start scanning the sky for the threat... simply amazing!

Too bad the game has started crashing on me, more and more often now...

EDIT: Hilarious moment a second ago. I witnessed an execution which wasn't that dramatic tough but still.. Right after the head fell off, the guy next to me yawned... I know death might not be rare in Skyrim, but Come ON! :p

Gandie

eso76 said:
my first proper encounter
with a non scripted dragon
was unbelievably awesome.

Wandering through the hills at night, soundtrack gone quiet i can hear the wind, the leaves, the crickets chirping.
Three lights, moving in the distance: guards holding torches i imagine, walking along the path.

Suddenly, the aurora fills the sky (i didn't even know the game featured anything like that) with the music gently awakening to it.
Just magnificient.

I look up to that and whatever that black shadow moving across the sky is, i just don't register it. My eyes do catch some movement i think, but it's gone already and i'm left with a very vague sense of uneasiness.

When i look down again i see the three torches getting closer, they seem to be moving quickly now and they're scattered around.. Almost as if...

I keep moving forward, past the hill and the vista opens up to show the valley below. Suddenly the body of a giant mammooth climbing out of it and running towards me fills my entire field of view. And a second one and a third one, so close the subwoofer kicks the room.
...as if they were running away ...

"dragon !" someone yells in the distance.

chanting from the main theme kicks in and shakes the living room as the dragon drops in front of me.

Now, the first dragon you encounter in the main quest is easy to kill.
This one isn't.
I'm burnt to a crisp in a matter of seconds.

:'(

Beautiful...

1.png

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Going throught the College of Magic. Now I understand why people love Bethesda's games.

They really upped their game though. Now they need a better story (but I haven't followed the main quest, may be it's better too, even though I doubt it).

also the game fucked up my sleeping cycles, thanks, Bethesda.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Beth still needs to spread its actors, as well. In whiterun, the Jarl is like 4 guys. He is also the guy you escape with and someone else I met lol

_tetsuo_ said:
Something ain't right. I'm running a GTX 465 slightly OC'd and I am playing on Ultra with a 60 FPS most of the time. Sometimes loading into Whiterun or looking over a vast area I will dip into the upper 30's. Dungeons stay at 60.

What are your specs?

AMD Phenom II X6 3.2GHz
8GB G.Skills RAM
GTX 465

Realyn

_tetsuo_ said:
Beth still needs to spread its actors, as well. In whiterun, the Jarl is like 4 guys. He is also the guy you escape with and someone else I met lol
I heard both the English and German voice acting and something thats very rare, the german one is better at this. You rarely hear a voice twice, but on the other hand ... VA isn´t on the same level :[. Only think I think is equal are the LotR Movies.

Hugs

Salazar said:
Have a think about how you are going to handle the
Snow Troll
who is along the path.

FFFUUUU! I have no idea! I'm finding the two hit kills from the snow tigers pretty rough tbh. Though I did fight a regular-ass troll already and it wasn't too difficult. Not easy, but a fun challenge? So should I just go grind up a few levels?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh. Going to join the Stormcloaks and I'm asked, "Why's a foreigner want to fight for Skyrim?".

I'm a Nord.

Realyn

Hugs said:
FFFUUUU! I have no idea! I'm finding the two hit kills from the snow tigers pretty rough tbh. Though I did fight a regular-ass troll already and it wasn't too difficult. Not easy, but a fun challenge? So should I just go grind up a few levels?
Well, do you have a companion? If not, like I said, walk by and come back later to fkn slay their pack! ;)

FHIZ

So I can't do the Companion quests as Farkas, the guy who is supposed to follow me keeps initiating god damn conversation. I've loaded evey save I've got before him but evey time the same shit happens. Just keeps talking to me in the middle of battle and everything. Gonna try clearing my 360's cache and see if that helps.

RyanDG

So I just got myself into a pickle. I'm supposed to go tap a tree with a special tool and I elected to have a random guy from the temple come along with me thinking that it shouldn't be too bad to get him there. Unfortunately bandits have taken over a keep along the way and the guy is suicidal and wants to run right into the keep and get himself killed over and over. To make matters worse, this guy isn't a companion type character so you can't basically tell him just to wait while you clear the path. I was exploring slightly for another path and lo and behold there is one... However, this path leads me right through a fucking giant's camp. What makes matters worse, I can't just run around and do something else, because this suicidal guy is now following me everywhere.

I'm about to the point where I'm just going to let the guy die.

Realyn

Fjordson said:
Anyone a dual-wielder? How is it?
Strong if you ask me. You can either click M1,M2,M1,M2 and swing each hand fast or M1+M2 for a strong combo of 4 hits. Combo deals shitload of dmg.
Favorites with DW is bugged, atleast for me. If you have 2 Iron Swords you can fav them on lets say 3, press 3 twice and DW them. But if you have a Mace and a Sword and put them on 4 and 5, you wont be able to DW them by pressing 4,5. You need to hit 4, open favorites and right click on the other weapon.

Hugs

Realyn said:
Well, do you have a companion? If not, like I said, walk by and come back later to fkn slay their pack! ;)

No, I haven't really used companions outside of story missions. I'll go find one of the npc's that offered in Whiterun and report back!

Realyn

Do you know you can equip them? Give him/her a good heavy armor and tank the beast. Monster sadly are quite dumb and will focus the companion over you. You just need to run around a bit.

Ketch

EasyTGT said:
A little help from anyone who might know:

Do the block perks work with 2 handed weapons? I really need to boost my blocking, but I'm afraid of sinking points into it if I can't use the perks. So if you have a bunch in block can you equip a 2 hander and see if all the perks with it aswell? ... Thanks.

Anybody know?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
_tetsuo_ said:

What processor?

Sandy Bridge will give you great performance with a card like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom