• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksimm

Had an amazing moment where a dragon came flying down and landed near a giant, it started whacking the dragon with its big club whilst myself and three archers shot from afar.

Dragon got pissed, flew off and burnt a nearby farmer to death, landed and the horse from the stable ran out and attacked it. I came in and delivered the final blow with my sword of cold touch.

Love this game to bits.

Realyn

Reveirg said:
I've never played any Elder Scrolls games and I'm generally really not attracted to WRPGs.

Picked this one up earlier today without really thinking about it (I guess all the hype got to me even though I didn't look into the game at all...)

Any tips for a new player to the franchise?
Well, depends on you. My honest advice:

Before you start, think of a character.
Imperial Good? Good guy? Neutral who doesnt give a fuck? Bad guy? Bad Bad thief ?
Magic? 2h? Bow?
Do you steal? Will you Lockpick? Yes, No, rarely?
Alchemy? Or do you prefer cooking? Smith or Enchanter?

Don´t use fasttravel. Don´t. Try to play like this: "I got xyz quest active, so I will walk to this town, do this. Then buy a horse and go to ..."

Read books.
Take your time, look around.

my2c ... could write a thousand more things ;)

Fjordson

Reveirg said:
EDIT: I am a big fan of Demon's/Dark Souls. Is it as similar as it looks?
No.

My tip would be to not feel beholden to the main quest. Or any quests. Explore and talk to people in towns and cities. If you stumble upon something interesting, even if it's totally separate from the main quest, stick with it since it'll most likely lead to an interesting chain.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How does the "Ward" spell work? It says it gives resistance to physical and magical damage, but when I cast it, it seems to be a constant drain, not a buff. Am I supposed to hold down the ward casting trigger when being attacked?

Xanathus

Does anyone else notice that some enemies seem to have way too much HP and do too much damage? I just did a sidequest to kill a bandit boss in a dungeon and I'm level 15. Now I'm able to kill all of the grunt bandits in one shot with a sneak bow attack, and their attacks generally do about 1/8th of my health in one hit. However the boss only loses about 1/5th of his health with a sneak bow attack, and can kill me in two hits.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Realyn said:
]

Don´t use fasttravel. Don´t. Try to play like this: "I got xyz quest active, so I will walk to this town, do this. Then buy a horse and go to ..."

I didn't intend to use fast travel, but I have been. It's actually quite nice when I'm looking to make some progress. When I'm ready to adventure, I just leave where I am and head in a direction and let the world do its thing. Personal preference there.

But everything else is spot on - this is a true RPG that's meant to be enjoyed by getting into the world that you're making a name for yourself in.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Zefah said:
What processor?

Sandy Bridge will give you great performance with a card like that.

I have a 1090T OCed to 4.2 ghz now. Still no improvement. The game uses ~50% gpu and cpu only.

Rubenov said:
So I just got arrested for killing a chicken. The fuck?

It's always been that way. In Oblivion, it was steal a candle and get arrested...

The scale of the crime isn't important, only the fact that you committed one.

bengraven

I'm kind of disappointed that the cities don't feel as crowded with buildings as in Oblivion.

Yeah, cities like Whiterun are BIG and beautiful, but when you look at the map, there really aren't that many buildings for you to want to spend a lot of time breaking into them.

Also I'm not really finding a lot of locked chests. Between that and all the stuff that's NOT marked as "owned" that you can just take (like all the food in the Jarl's kitchens...wtf), it's almost disappointing being a thief in this game.

Rokk said:
Yeah. If you've got a soul stored and you're hovering over a new word / shout you want to unlock, there should be a prompt to unlock it using a soul.

That's awesome, thank you! Best part is: I don't actually want the power I got from the Word, so I can just wait for a better one to use my dragon soul. ha

Speevy

Banned
Dark/Demon's Souls is designed so you can find your way through a very narrow space and face overwhelming odds by employing skill and using your brain.

Elder Scrolls is designed so you can explore a gigantic world and build your own adventure, which often results from the unpredictable things that happen while you are trying to complete one of the hundreds of quests.

Realyn

bengraven said:
Also I'm not really finding a lot of locked chests. Between that and all the stuff that's NOT marked as "owned" that you can just take (like all the food in the Jarl's kitchens...wtf), it's almost disappointing being a thief in this game.

The first big companion quest where SPOILER
you can see him warg
has a master chest with stuff worth about 1500-2000 nicely hidden. I was so happy cracking it.
That was huge for lvl 10 or so.

Tenck

So I just encountered a bug where every single building (and objects like trees and rocks) were not solid. I was able to walk through everything. Hopefully I don't have to go back too far into the game. I just defeated the first dragon and I found out I was a DragonBorn.

IGJIV.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1xqAZZzCIU

bengraven

Darkerkamikaze said:
Was
Anise important? She sort of got killed by a dragon.

I actually asked that earlier but no one responded, since the thread is moving way fast.

I found her in my very first hour, down at her cabin. She didn't have much to say and I went down and discovered her dirty little secret, whch wasn't very dirty. Yet she tries to kill me when I came up.

So I just reloaded the save, in case killing her is important for another quest. If we're not supposed to kill her, well, she still wants to kill ME, so hopefully she'll either accept my yield or she's calmed down by now. ha

Zhaanie

Banned
How many souls are required to fill a Black Soul Gem? And do I need a specific type of soul, or what?

I'm kind of clueless.. so I captured the soul of a spider with Soul Trap, but apparently that wasn't enough! :lol

Speevy said:
Demon's/Dark Souls is designed so you can find your way through a very narrow space and face overwhelming odds by employing skill and using your brain.

Elder Scrolls is designed so you can explore a gigantic world and build your own adventure, which often results from the unpredictable things that happen while you are trying to complete one of the hundreds of quests.

fixed for Junior.

bengraven

Realyn said:
The first big companion quest where SPOILER
you can see him warg
has a master chest with stuff worth about 1500-2000 nicely hidden. I was so happy cracking it.
That was huge for lvl 10 or so.

I'm about that lvl too and I'm excited for that now. But I'm holding off on those quests as long as possible, so it might be worth more when I do get there.

JumpingTheGun said:
Is there any chick thats easily prone to marrying you once you're wearing
the Mara necklace
?

I unintentially have been wearing it up until I discovered that it's for marriage and I have YET to see any chick interested in me, besides saying flirtatious things when I walk past or talk to her.

bengraven said:
I'm about that lvl too and I'm excited for that now. But I'm holding off on those quests as long as possible, so it might be worth more when I do get there.

I unintentially have been wearing it up until I discovered that it's for marriage and I have YET to see any chick interested in me, besides saying flirtatious things when I walk past or talk to her.

damn,. thanks ben but i needa bitch to make me a SAMMICH. plus im sure its pretty hard to find a woman out there into bestiality, considering Im a Khajiit.

Cruzader

Banned
Need help. Any way to heal a companion? I think if this person dies, then she is gone. Playing ps3 version.

Btw is there a "safe box" to store items or no?

Seanspeed

Banned
I've been an archer mainly and on the difficulty level I'm at (Expert), its been a little difficult at times when I had to get up close and personal with more than one enemy.

But now I've unlocked the zoom and slow-down time perks and holy hell, I'm having the time of my life. Things haven't gotten easy, but I dont feel completely outmatched anymore. Next perk I get will be the 3-times bow damage when sneaking one. Cant wait.

And again, best game ever. Like seriously, only 15 hours in and I'm pretty sure this is my favorite game ever. Sorry Final Fantasy VI.

MMaRsu

Hugs said:
So yeah, I grabbed a companion from Whiterun and that made the
ascent to the Greybeards
much easier.
Where do I go from whiterun to get there? I looked for hours to find a way to climb the mountain..

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So whatever happened to all that talk of shopkeepers being replaced by siblings when they're killed? I decided to murder the apothecary lady in Whiterun and the shop is still empty...

Oh, poor poor Angi. Found her in the mountains, got her to teach me archery, share a meal and chat about her family. Completed all the exercises fast, precise and with composure. Graciously accepted her bow, given her by her late mother who taught her archery in place of the father who was never home.

Then, as she walked up the stairs to her lonely home in the mountains, I stayed behind and, knowing my shot would be true-all thanks to her charitable training-shot her in the head with her mother's bow and bashed her head in with my mace.

Oh, poor poor Angi, what were you thinking, trusting this lizard?

One thing that I noticed is that the difficulty is a lot better (on adept) than it ever was in Oblivion. It's still mostly easy - but there are certain encounters which really remind you not to get too cocky.

daviyoung

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Where do I go from whiterun to get there? I looked for hours to find a way to climb the mountain..

Follow the river north and head around the top of the mountain range. Then go south on the east side of the mountains and you'll come to a village. Mind the troll.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So the past 10 hours of me playing were hell. I turned into a vampire and basically tried to find a cure throughout the whole map until a rumor helped me. Until then I was at Stage 4 and had to keep feeding on people which was aggravating since everyone kept attacking me. Thankfully I found a lone bandit sleeping in a camp which diminished it to Stage 3.

Just finished this ritual and I'm a Nord again. What a fucking relief.

LifEndz

Rented the game and this is my first Elder Scrolls game, but so far I love it.

Quick Questions:

I'm playing on console and is there any way to switch weapons without having to go to the items menu? Furthermore, can I switch to magic w/o having to do the same?

Seanspeed said:
I've been an archer mainly and on the difficulty level I'm at (Expert), its been a little difficult at times when I had to get up close and personal with more than one enemy.

Adept difficulty is pretty well balanced. If you're finding things too tough on Expert - don't assume Adept in Skyrim to be mind numbingly easy as "normal" was in Oblivion.

Realyn

Hugs said:
So yeah, I grabbed a companion from Whiterun and that made the
ascent to the Greybeards
much easier.
Did you read what I wrote you earlier? Equip them with heavy armor. KI is kinda dumb and will focus your companion once you walk around a bit. You can attack them from behind then. Companions got a shitload of health, you can even heal them, once you bought that spell.

Also they can carry stuff :) about 200 weight.

Speevy

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
fixed for Junior.

I don't know about this junior thing, but I usually don't worry about grammar so much when I'm posting at a video game forum.

And I was "juniored". I've been posting here forever, and have posted so much stupid stuff that I'm actually in the top 20 or so lifetime.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
LifEndz said:
Rented the game and this is my first Elder Scrolls game, but so far I love it.

Quick Questions:

I'm playing on console and is there any way to switch weapons without having to go to the items menu? Furthermore, can I switch to magic w/o having to do the same?
Go into Items and set it as a favourite and then when you're in the game hit up/down on d-pad to go into favs and equip it.

bengraven

JumpingTheGun said:
damn,. thanks ben but i needa bitch to make me a SAMMICH. plus im sure its pretty hard to find a woman out there into bestiality, considering Im a Khajiit.

I know how you feel. I have a few candidates already and want to lock that shit down. Then again, I've only explored one city and one village...and Falkreath, which has a Jarl yet no walls and only a few houses so I'm still not sure if it's a major city.

Whiterun:

- obviously the greymane blonde from the first screenshots that were published...hello
- Ygroda (?) or whatever, the merchant who seems uncomfortably obsessed with khajiits and asks for a mammoth tusk, which just tells me she's a FREAK in a good way
- the Redguard chick who pulls a knife on you just for talking to her...I like it...and her scar is cute

Riverwood

- Ralof's sister - I'll kill her husband if I need to
- the barmaid who the elf and bard are in love with...just because it would be funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom