• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

Realyn said:
Can you save the guy from execution? Got a save game just in case lol. I tried pretty much everything, once the guy ran away I had no chance against the guards. Funny thing was they attacked me first and I got no bounty for hitting back.
I dunno

Gandie

ColonialRaptor said:
Is there any way to open the game other than through Steam? I updated Steam and now Steam can't connect...

I hope mine wasn't one of the accounts that was hacked!? :(

Just open the TESV.exe in C:program Files/steam/steamapps/common/skyrim

Arol

Realyn said:
No it should not.

Skyrim level system is straight forward. You can up skills yourself till level 70 or so, after that only train them. No hidden bonus stuff like in Morrowind.

Awesome, thank you so much.

Really enjoying the game, sort of feel like I've missed out on the Elder Scrolls series.

spirity

MrBig said:
LBO3w.jpg

This was amazing.

that is gorgeous

TheExodu5

Banned
les papillons sexuels said:
My biggest complaint right now is that it can be pretty difficult to tell who's an enemy and who's not when you're sneaking around.

Get the spell Detect Life. Enemies will glow red, and allies will glow blue.

Question: when I apply a poison to a weapon, how many hits does it last?

Aselith

My biggest complaint right now is that it can be pretty difficult to tell who's an enemy and who's not when you're sneaking around.
Same. I miss a lot of clean shot opportunities with my bow because I'm worried about killing a friendly.

Timber

Yeah this has been a problem. Shot an arrow into what I assumed was a bandit, when in fact it was the guy I was supposed to rescue from bandits. There's no indicator at all.

MrBig

Atomski said:
Is there a simple way to take screenshots without the UI?
All I did for that show was go to System > Settings > Display and brought the HUD opacity to 0. You can also type "tm" in the console to toggle it off/on.

Enco

Holy. Shit.

This is the only game that has ever made me feel sick about killing someone. Everyone is so life like and everyone feels like part of a community. By killing someone I feel like I'm destroying the hearts of plenty others. I couldn't even kill the woman who ordered thugs to kill me (she was the owner of a tavern). I feel attached to everyone haha.

The radiant system is the best thing I've seen in a game in a long time. Far from perfect but it's still stunning.

Yea, for me this game shits on everything else.

TheExodu5 said:
Get the spell Detect Life. Enemies will glow red, and allies will glow blue.

Question: when I apply a poison to a weapon, how many hits does it last?
Believe its only one hit

Anyone know how to get rid of arrows. Got 1 arrow on my head and 1 on my abdomen that seem to be permanently attached.

KingK

Question: If you lose your horse somewhere, is it possible to call it or something to get it back, or do you have to track down wherever you left it?

I haven't lost my horse yet or anything, I just want to know how careful to be about where I leave it.

Enco

KingK said:
Question: If you lose your horse somewhere, is it possible to call it or something to get it back, or do you have to track down wherever you left it?

I haven't lost my horse yet or anything, I just want to know how careful to be about where I leave it.
Just fast travel and it should spawn with you.

Can't find out how to get to Solitude :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
Thief/Assassin is damned fun. Tip to any stealth character out there: get Detect Life. Incredibly useful spell for sneaking around.

Thinking of going either Alchemy/Enchanting. Any tips or preference? Enchanting seems like it would be much more useful overall since I can double the effectiveness of armor enchants I put on.

Unless there is something that can only be made with Alchemy, it doesn't seem like it would be worth pouring points into. Potions are abundant in the game.

Hex

Banned
Still totally a noob with a bad habit of going where I am not supposed too, but the fact that I just made two mammoths my ally and killed a giant that would have squished me makes this the game of the forever.

Realyn

Get on a Horse.
Ride into a cave entry.
Unmount.
Go back out.
Mount the horse, you should enter the cave now.

Enjoy the Bug. Posting a screen .. wait a moment

Wasn´t even trying to do this on purpose lol

LCfiner

Enco said:
Just fast travel and it should spawn with you.

Can't find out how to get to Solitude :lol

from the river below, get near the shipping dock, then turn west and follow the trail up the mountain. (turning east takes you too far back behind the city)

Hex said:
Still totally a noob with a bad habit of going where I am not supposed too, but the fact that I just made two mammoths my ally and killed a giant that would have squished me makes this the game of the forever.

that’s a good habit in these games.

Phreaker

gibon3z said:
Anyone know how to get rid of arrows. Got 1 arrow on my head and 1 on my abdomen that seem to be permanently attached.

Have you tried dropping all your arrows and then picking them up? They've said the fix for this is coming in a patch.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zefah said:
Unless there is something that can only be made with Alchemy, it doesn't seem like it would be worth pouring points into. Potions are abundant in the game.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I mean, I could make doubly effective poisons with it, but it hardly seems worth the effort to make the poisons.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Hex said:

not Surposed to?

You go where ever the hell you want

Eccocid

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah, friggin' hideous.

To be honest i wish this game was for next gen hardware. Some of the screens remind me Fallout 3 a lot. Not that it matters hto. I love Tes games for exploration and doing weird quests.

Mindman

A few tips on the controls and one on the UI:

• Clicking the right stick and holding, while moving the left stick up or down adjusts the camera in third person.
  • You can assign Quick Select items to left and right on the d-pad by holding them in on the Inventory screen.
  • Hold down A to pick up objects to move them.
  • The little up arrow next to items in the Inventory screen indicates what the game recommends using/equipping based on your current character.

Enco

LCfiner said:
from the river below, get near the shipping dock, then turn west and follow the trail up the mountain. (turning east takes you too far back behind the city)
Ok thanks, I'll try tomorrow.

12 hours in two days. This is mad.

I can't believe the radiant system truly lived up to the hype. Makes the game 10000x better.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
_tetsuo_ said:
I have a 1090T OCed to 4.2 ghz now. Still no improvement. The game uses ~50% gpu and cpu only.

No idea how a 1090T stacks up to Sandy Bridge, but almost every modern game I have benefited dramatically from my going from a Core 2 Quad @ 3.4ghz to a Sandy Bridge i5 @ 3.3ghz. The architecture is just far superior. Running that and a 5870, and the game never goes below 30fps, and is usually in the mid-50s. I'm playing with ultra settings at 1920x1200, tree/world shadows set to '1' in the ini, 2x MSAA, 16x AF, FXAA checked.

TheExodu5

Banned
I can't believe how handcrafted everything feels. I'm not seeing any repetition anywhere. This truly is the most detailed world in any video game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
bengraven said:
Wait, am I getting this right?

Find Word -> kill dragon -> absorb soul = new shout
Kill Dragon -> absorb soul -> find word = no shout

Did I kill a dragon and get nothing out of it but 3 bones?

longer: I had not found a word in the wild or dungeons, but killed a dragon that attacked me. I absorbed the soul, but got no power. So I crawl down to where the dragon had been perched and there's a word...I read the word, but still no power.

The Shout I learned about from the Word is greyed out, saying I need a dragon soul. WTF did I just do five minutes earlier?

Hello, outlander.

(every Elder Scrolls game assumes you're not from that province...so your dark elf was a foreign born elf, your imperial was from another province, and your nord is from somewhere else...which is why they caught him/her sneaking INTO Skyrim).

I must have missed that in the intro. As a Nord, I was all pumped to join the Stormcloaks and liberate my homeland, but that one comment kind of killed my motivation. Definitely having second thoughts now. Also, Ulfric seems like a bit of a dick.

Oh, and regarding the Shouts, if you already have a dragon soul when you find a new Word, you can select/hover over the Word in question and hit 'R' on the keyboard (probably 'X' on the 360 pad) to pour the Dragon soul into and activate the new Word.

Enco

TheExodu5 said:
I can't believe how handcrafted everything feels. I'm not seeing any repetition anywhere. This truly is the most detailed world in any video game.
The taverns I've been in have been exactly the same. Worst part of the game.

Morthal is my favorite town so far. I know everyone and love them all haha. The quest about the burned down house was insane. I
broke into Alva's house earlier and found out her secret, killing her.
I also
got Thonnir killed (I think). Feels bad man.

KorrZ

Wow, has anyone done the quest name spoilers:
A Night to Remember
quest? Just plain hilarious and awesome. Things like this are why I absolutely adore The Elder Scrolls. GOTF.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RedSwirl said:
So, people who've played all three games: This, Dark Souls, or The Witcher 2 for best RPG of 2011? And why.

Fuck man, that is really tough.

Right now Skyrim and The Witcher 2 are about tied for me. I'm not sure if either of them beat the enjoyment I got from Dark Souls (which I still haven't completed). They are all so very different, though. Very hard to choose...

Woorloog

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
This game world is art. Seriously. I look at Riverwood, think how idyllic it is (wouldn't you love to live there?), look at the magnificent scenery, think of the other such landscapes in the game and i have to conclude this game is art.
Well the game world and soundtrack anyway.

Tobor

I love, love, love the changes they made to the skills and leveling. Love the cooking, the smithing, and my bookshelf is glorious! /Faints

GhaleonEB

Question about the bucket of "Miscellaneous" quests in the log. I've got about a dozen active now, and set about to complete one. Problem is, when I select the "Show on Map" option (press X), it never marks the quest on the map. I'm selecting the quest, and then that option, and it just takes me to the map screen, no marker placed.

I took a bounty at Rorikstead, and cleared out a cave of bandits that was harassing the town. Now my next step is "Collect bounty from Proventus Avenicci". I canvassed the town and didn't find him, so I moved on. Tried to start a second one I ran into, same issue, and so on.

Does the game not place markers for side quests? I have no idea where any of these are.

Woorloog

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Question about the bucket of "Miscellaneous" quests in the log. I've got about a dozen active now, and set about to complete one. Problem is, when I select the "Show on Map" option (press X), it never marks the quest on the map. I'm selecting the quest, and then that option, and it just takes me to the map screen, no marker placed.

I took a bounty at Rorikstead, and cleared out a cave of bandits that was harassing the town. Now my next step is "Collect bounty from Proventus Avenicci". I canvassed the town and didn't find him, so I moved on. Tried to start a second one I ran into, same issue, and so on.

Does the game not place markers for side quests? I have no idea where any of these are.
Click/press A on 360 on the Misc category as if you chose any other quest and all chosen objectives will show up.

KingK

While climbing up the steps to the Greybeards, a snowy sabrecat attacked me and killed my horse by knocking it off the mountain. I killed the thing, but I had to reload my last autosave because my horse was dead.

I only lost like 10 minutes though, so not a big deal. Still, that cat was tough.

Lakitu

st5fu
Holy crap. I have been playing the game for about 8-9 hours straight (with breaks).

It's beautiful... I even forgot about this thread.

I've mainly been spending my time around Whiterun and doing quests, exploring. I'm actually holding off on alchemy and smithing for the time being until I actually get my house. So I'll have things organised, all the materials and ingredients I need to do as much as I want. All my stuff is spread over 2 places (Gerdur's house in Riverwood and the Companion's HQ in Whiterun). I've been selling a ton of stuff and doing some mini-quests to save up the gold I need for a house. Currently at 3500, almost there.

I joined the Companions as well. I'm about to do the first main quest in that line. I did the introductory one (
roughing up Mikael in the tavern
). I'll do the next one tomorrow.

As for Whiterun, I absolutely love it. The style between the districts, the sky forge looks beautiful -- I can't wait to use it, the rivalry between Battle-Born and Grey-Mane and of course Dragonsreach. Once I get a house, I'll loot the hell out of that place and sell as much as I can.

I also went out and got some guys sword from
Vantius Towers (sp? I can never remember the names) and got into a pretty awesome battle with bandits at night.
Just as I was leaving that area to head back to Whiterun, it was 1am and the aurora borealis came up. It was beautiful. I just stood there and stared at it. Then I found
The Ritual Stone with a Necromancer in a creek.
That freaked me the hell out.

I also spent quite a bit of time grinding my skills in the game. I've still been mixing it up with one-handed + destruction as well as two handed. I've yet to find an enchantment that I really want though. It's still early so I'm bound to find something. I've also been trying to grind my Archery even though I've hardly been using it because I need the space in my inventory. I've just been hunting a bunch of mudcrabs, foxes, elks around the tundra near Whiterun. I had a blast doing that. Even ran into a few Sabre Cats.

Then there's the graphics. The art style is phenomenal as usual and the rest ranges from average to brilliant. There's just so many picturesque scenes.

And finally, I did have an encounter with a dragon in the tundra. It was amazing and unintentionally hilarious. It was a three way battle between me, the dragon and a couple of giants with their mammoths. The dragon couldn't decide who to attack so it just went berserk. I eventually killed it after a fairly long battle. Then the two giants and around 3 mammoths started chasing me through the tundra. I turned back when I knew it was clear and I saw one of the mammoths just stop as if it were tired and gave up.

I'm loving it. Still, I've hardly done anything. I've not even explored Falkreath Hold yet or even 15% of Whiterun Hold. Tomorrow, I'm going to try and get as much gold as possible so I can get my house. I also bought a horse today but I haven't even been using it. Hell, I've not even used fast travel once. I'm only going to use it when it's really necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom