• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokam

KorrZ said:
Wow, has anyone done the quest name spoilers:
A Night to Remember
quest? Just plain hilarious and awesome. Things like this are why I absolutely adore The Elder Scrolls. GOTF.

Watching someone currently do it on a stream, so good.

Havok said:
The problem is that I came here before just randomly, killed the guy (who then fell through the floor), then left before I even had the quest. Now I discover he was vital for this big quest and that was hours ago. Bummer.

Havok, just bolding this so you see it - probably not much you can do now, but eventually people will have the ID for all quest-related items / NPCs, which will allow you to use the console briefly to spawn a new version, allowing you to complete the quest. Just let it go for now, and come back to it later

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
EviLore said:
Not that I've seen. Solitude is the capital but it doesn't feel any different from the other cities. Game focuses on each one having a distinct theme and its own things going on.

I think the smaller scale works much in this game. Each settlement is far more believable considering the setting. While there are still fewer people in each town to be truly believable (The Witcher 2 did a great job there), it's still a much better situation than in Oblivion where the Imperial capital had maybe 50 people in it total.

Rokam said:
Watching someone currently do it on a stream, so good.

I got to the point where I exited the temple and realised that I was not where I had been the night before, and reloaded an earlier save as I was doing things in Windhelm at the time. I'm definitely going to do it soon though, it seems awesome!

AEREC

KingK said:
While climbing up the steps to the Greybeards, a snowy sabrecat attacked me and killed my horse by knocking it off the mountain. I killed the thing, but I had to reload my last autosave because my horse was dead.

I only lost like 10 minutes though, so not a big deal. Still, that cat was tough.

Same thing happened to me not too far from Iverstead (or whatever the name of the town is at the base of the mountain).

A sabre killed my horse, but I didnt reload since Im trying to just go with what happens in my playthrough.

Woorloog

Banned
KingK said:
While climbing up the steps to the Greybeards, a snowy sabrecat attacked me and killed my horse by knocking it off the mountain. I killed the thing, but I had to reload my last autosave because my horse was dead.

I only lost like 10 minutes though, so not a big deal. Still, that cat was tough.
I bought a horse, a dragon attacks, i dismount to start fighting, the dragon draws me away from my horse, then changes direction (i'm following it still of course) and my horse has vanished. Maybe the dragon ate it?
Clumsy things that are in way and make getting in a fight difficult due slow mounting/dismounting. Also, the fucking horse insist on helping me, which means i hit it accidentally. No horses for me anymore. Red Dead Redemption did horses right with its "whistle" function and having ability to call a new horse if the previous one gets lost or dies.

Lakitu

st5fu
lastplayed said:
Just had my first crash on 360, causing me to lose about 25 mins of play.

Fuck fuck, need to save more often.

I had a crash today as well. Fortunately, I saved just a few minutes before.

Enco

lastplayed said:
Just had my first crash on 360, causing me to lose about 25 mins of play.

Fuck fuck, need to save more often.
Had two straight to desktop crashes with no warnings or anything.

Luckily I save every few minutes. Always do in Bethesda/RPG games.

Does no one else feel bad for killing the NPCs? They're too life like in what they do and how they all have a role in the community/have families.

Loxley

Part of me thinks we could almost have a thread dedicated to recounting stories of random and non-scripted dragon/NPC encounters. Reading back in this thread, there are a lot crazy and awesome fights that people have had.

GhaleonEB

Woorloog said:
Click/press A on 360 on the Misc category as if you chose any other quest and all chosen objectives will show up.
Thanks. I was selecting the quests within the categories, but that wasn't enough. And nothing showed up until I deleted my custom marker (which I used to reach Markarth) and then de-selected the main quest (which I didn't realize I could do - yay!). Naturally I'm a world away from them all now. :lol

Going to hang out in Markarth and sink deep into the city. Quests, jobs, thievery and murders in the night. That sort of thing.

Kud Dukan

I've had some hilarious encounters with dragons in the mountains today. Twice now I've started a battle with one, only to have it decide to leave and attack some other thing that it saw when it was flying around, forcing me to try to make my way over the cliffs to that area to continue the fight. Very fun.

Today I met Anise, she seemed nice. I practiced stealing a bowl from her, she didn't see me from outside and didn't get angry. Today three thugs tried to kill me outside the Inn. I found the contract they were carrying. I killed Anise with a mace...I don't even like maces bitch and I killed you with a mace. Snitch!

KorrZ

MrBig said:
Stop the industry. Skyrim is game of the century.

I have never had experiences like this in a game before

I'm feeling the same way. 2 days, 20 hours played. I just can't help but smile knowing that 20 hours is maybe 5% of the content in the game :).

Woorloog said:
I bought a horse, a dragon attacks, i dismount to start fighting, the dragon draws me away from my horse, then changes direction (i'm following it still of course) and my horse has vanished. Maybe the dragon ate it?
Clumsy things that are in way and make getting in a fight difficult due slow mounting/dismounting. Also, the fucking horse insist on helping me, which means i hit it accidentally. No horses for me anymore. Red Dead Redemption did horses right with its "whistle" function and having ability to call a new horse if the previous one gets lost or dies.

A whistle function would be awesome. That same thing happened to me. (Fought a dragon, horse disappeared.) I fast-traveled back to the nearest town and it was outside the gate.

Don't really enjoy the horse controls too much, so I'll be staying away from em, too.

MrBig

KorrZ said:
I'm feeling the same way. 2 days, 20 hours played. I just can't help but smile knowing that 20 hours is maybe 5% of the content in the game :).
Yes. I have only just inititiated the questline for the mage guild, companions, dark brotherhood, and stormcloaks and am only around 20 hours in as well. Haven't touched the main quest. Located ~130 places and cleared/entered maybe a quarter of them.

Was just attacked by TWO DRAGONS AT THE SAME FUCKING TIME. A dragon and a blood dragon. They killed my horse and a sabretooth decided he wanted a piece of me as well. Their bones now decorate the mountainside.

I'm out of healing potions and now have to go quite a ways on foot. But the fights lasted so long I got to hear the whole Dragonborn chant twice. EPIC.

Loxley

Spiffy_1st said:
Auto-stacking bookshelves is a dream come true.
Freakin' tell me about it.

By the time I'd finally gathered enough money to buy the house in Whiterun and give it shelves, I'd collected 70+ books (I literally pick up every book I come across) from throughout the world that I wanted to keep but needed to get out of my inventory. I'm so glad that the game organizes them, great little touch.

Woorloog

Banned
matics said:
A whistle function would be awesome. That same thing happened to me. (Fought a dragon, horse disappeared.) I fast-traveled back to the nearest town and it was outside the gate.

Don't really enjoy the horse controls too much, so I'll be staying away from em, too.
They're not even that fast. Traveling by Sprinting with a lot of stamina and using Whirlwind Sprint shout (rank 2 especially) seems to be faster.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Can anyone explain how soul trap works? Never used it in previous games and am trying to do enchanting this go around. Tried to cast it on enemies and then kill them well within the 60 second time frame but none of my empty soul gems get filled. Certain type of enemies only? Must have casting hand out/casting it the entire time while killing the monster?

Woorloog

Banned
LuchaShaq said:
Can anyone explain how soul trap works? Never used it in previous games and am trying to do enchanting this go around. Tried to cast it on enemies and then kill them well within the 60 second time frame but none of my empty soul gems get filled. Certain type of enemies only? Must have casting hand out/casting it the entire time while killing the monster?
You need to have a soul gem (with correct "size" depending on the enemy, Skeevers for example have "petty" soul (probably)) and then you need to kill an enemy while the soul trap effect lasts.
I mean, that's how it should work. You probably didn't have correct sized soul gem.
EDIT oh and you cannot trap NPCs. Unless this game has Black Soul Gems.

Zhaanie

Banned
I grabbed the +20% to sneaking perk now, hopefully this means I can finally feed on humans without being detected...

Really hate being a vampire =p

Woorloog said:
You need to have a soul gem (with correct "size" depending on the enemy, Skeevers for example have "petty" soul (probably)) and then you need to kill an enemy while the soul trap effect lasts.
I mean, that's how it should work. You probably didn't have correct sized soul gem.

Yes, it does. Or you can use
The Black Star

mxgt

Banned
This may be the best game world I've ever seen. It's absolutely stunning and the variation is unmatched. Combine it with the glorious music and it's just a joy to explore.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Woorloog said:

I have some of the petty soul gems it's just that the casting itself isn't making much sense to me. If I hit cast nothing happens, if I hold cast my guys fist clenches up but nothing shoots out and my mana almost instantly drains to 0.

Enco

Loxley said:
Freakin' tell me about it.

By the time I'd finally gathered enough money to buy the house in Whiterun and give it shelves, I'd collected 70+ books (I literally pick up every book I come across) from throughout the world that I wanted to keep but needed to get out of my inventory. I'm so glad that the game organizes them, great little touch.
How does it work? Do you just drop it and drag it on to the shelf?

Sephon

25 hours now, I'm starting to feel like those asians who plays themselves to death...

Anyhoo, I'm in love with Lydia and had to remove her helmet to get a more personal feeling than I have with her dwarven helmet on which makes her look and act like a robot.
One thing they must add is companion conversations like in KotOR where you get to know your henchmen.

About the horses, I love my horse and can't think of playing the game without it, I wonder if it levels with me or something but pretty occasionally I get of the horse to kill some random monster and my horse helps me or makes sure to go kill some other monsters at the same time.

Nothing can take down my gang!

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
For the last five years or so, I have had trouble playing games for more than an hour at a time and have maybe beaten 10 games. I have been playing this game since 9:00 am and don't plan on stopping for a few more hours. I feel like a kid again. Best game I've played in years!

Tambini

The game crashes whenever I enter Bonechill Passage :(

Google tells me to run the game in windowed mode to pass this. Heads up for anyone else who encounters this.

KorrZ

So can we get a Dragon Kill Count going on in here?

I've killed 3 Dragons so far, level 17. 20 hours in. Actually surprised I haven't seen more yet :(

Antagon

I guess there's no way to empty a soul gem without breaking it? I've accidentally filled a grand soul gem with a petty soul. My bound weapon now automatically traps souls, so nearly every enemy I fight gets trapped. I can see this happening a lot more later on.

Scullibundo said:
Was just attacked by TWO DRAGONS AT THE SAME FUCKING TIME. A dragon and a blood dragon. They killed my horse and a sabretooth decided he wanted a piece of me as well. Their bones now decorate the mountainside.

I'm out of healing potions and now have to go quite a ways on foot. But the fights lasted so long I got to hear the whole Dragonborn chant twice. EPIC.
Yeah I was doing this Mage's College quest where I had to kill a buttload of magic wraith things that were all quite tough and a dragon landed on my head while I was doing it. It actually helped because his breaths do magic damage and I was running the Sign of the Atronach which gives me 50% magicka absorption, which is just ridiculously good.

Enco

cheststrongwell said:
For the last five years or so, I have had trouble playing games for more than an hour at a time and have maybe beaten 10 games. I have been playing this game since 9:00 am and don't plan on stopping for a few more hours. I feel like a kid again. Best game I've played in years!
This.

The last game I played much at all was Just Cause 2. Befor that, Oblivion. Possibly Fallout New Vegas somewhere too. However, Skyrim is by far the strongest and will totally destroy everything in terms of play time.

Kyaw

KorrZ said:
So can we get a Dragon Kill Count going on in here?

I've killed 3 Dragons so far, level 17. 20 hours in. Actually surprised I haven't seen more yet :(

Killed 2, level 10. 9 hours in.

Are the Dragons totally randomly generated or are there factors which must be present for the dragon to spawn/appear?

Cyrillus

How the hell do you yield in this game? I've tried sheathing my weapon, I've tried holding block and spamming the interact button, neither does anything. I killed a man (the Redguard guy who's looking for his father's sword) in Whiterun, and now I can't seem to get them to stop attacking me. Is there another way? My Auto-saves seem to have disappeared other than 3 or 4 that I have accumulated since this crime, and my quicksaves over-write themselves, so they're no help either.

Any suggestions? Looks like if I can't fix this I lose about 5 hours of play time.

Loxley

Enco said:
How does it work? Do you just drop it and drag it on to the shelf?

You basically access the shelf the same way you would a chest; when the UI comes up, you can "drop" (i.e. = store) items in the shelf. If you drop books, the game will stack them automatically.

Lakitu

st5fu
Cyrillus said:
How the hell do you yield in this game? I've tried sheathing my weapon, I've tried holding block and spamming the interact button, neither does anything. I killed a man (the Redguard guy who's looking for his father's sword) in Whiterun, and now I can't seem to get them to stop attacking me. Is there another way? My Auto-saves seem to have disappeared other than 3 or 4 that I have accumulated since this crime, and my quicksaves over-write themselves, so they're no help either.

Any suggestions? Looks like if I can't fix this I lose about 5 hours of play time.

This. I completely forgot about it.

I accidentally hit some guys who were fighting a giant, and I tried everything to yield but it wouldn't work. I got my arse handed to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom