• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayas

Neo Member
Loving this game so far. 10.5 hours in, level 9, killed two dragons now and running all over creation.
I had a question to the guys who are really far about perks. So far I have been putting them in quite a few spots, pickpocket, destruction, single hand, and another. Should I be going about perks this way or should I be focusing these into one or two lines? I don't want to get farther into the game and find out I effed myself for spreading them too thin across multiple tree's.

Can anyone tell me where I can get the Detect Life spell? I know it's in Alteration now since they removed Mysticism but I can't find anyone who sells it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Drazgul said:
Or you can just... pick them up in the water (sadly I don't think they've invented dynamite fishing yet in Tamriel). Kinda silly how you can outswim fish wearing heavy armor, but oh well. :D

Oh I know, but picking them off with an arrow is so much better.

Derrick01

Banned
BlisterBrown said:
How in the hell are you guys downing these dragons so easily? I'm fighting my first one outside of the main story line and I can barely scratch the thing. Just flies over me while I'm trying to shoot him with my bow and pwns me with what I assume is a frost breath :(

You have to try to cheese the fight by using something, whether it's man made or natural, as cover. I'm an Archer so I wait until it's hovering or on the ground and shoot some off then run behind whatever when he breathes fire/ice. Rinse and repeat until dead, it's worked on the 3 I've fought so far. I would have had a 4th if a Lich didn't spring out of a box and join the fight. There were dragon words by them too :(

Kayas said:
Loving this game so far. 10.5 hours in, level 9, killed two dragons now and running all over creation.
I had a question to the guys who are really far about perks. So far I have been putting them in quite a few spots, pickpocket, destruction, single hand, and another. Should I be going about perks this way or should I be focusing these into one or two lines? I don't want to get farther into the game and find out I effed myself for spreading them too thin across multiple tree's.

Certainly there are a lot more perks than perk points available, which recommends some level of specialization, but the game isn't hard enough that you'll be unable to cope. I think it is a smart idea to maybe pick at least 1 combat skill that you want to max out on so you can fall back on it. Realistically, how often are you going to be switching styles of combat? I can't stand the thought of points used in skills I don't actually use, so I'd start with deciding what style of combat you really, seriously think you're going to favor and go from there.

Gregorn

Alphahawk said:
Which is? I avoided Fallout 3 for the same reason. Does it actually make sense?

You...didn't buy Fallout 3 because you didn't like a mechanic from another series that isn't in the game? Although, I was going to buy the new Mario game, but I didn't really like camera in Donkey Kong 64 so I'm not going to get it.

Amir0x

Banned
I am just a hunter, so it's really convenient to just have an Archer trainer just come around with me as my sidekick so I can let him train my levels whenever I have need to let loose some of my gold. Me and this elf dude have got along real well. He's vicious too. Some skeleton comes and he's all "I'll kill you!" I think he didn't believe the mystical golden claw shit though 'cause when I got to the end of that quest and he saw the altar he said "well, would you look at that" all in awe like he is surprised there was anything there! Anyway, we got shitfaced drunk after that and whored around. Good times, good times.

Wallach

Woooooooooow. Fuck me sideways, I love this game. I'm going to spoiler this whole story for those that don't like getting spoiled on random discoveries (plus I have no idea if anything about this is caught up in some quests later in the game).

So after doing the very first main quest there in Whiterun, I decided I wasn't ready to move on to the next part. Instead I went over to some towers to the east; in Riverwood the first quest I'd gotten from the tavern there was some misc bounty thing to kill some bandits and their leader. It was a bit far, but I wanted to explore.

These towers turned out to be on either end of a bridge. I mauled these guys pretty good (note to bandits: do not stand on thin bridges when the Dragonborn comes a-shoutin'), and decided to see what was on the other side, since it looked like a sharp hill. After some light climbing and wandering, I spot one of those dragon word walls... and there's a god damned dragon perched right on the thing. Whatever man - I'm level 9 and I have a Flame Atronach. I'm ready to rock. This battle goes better than I expect, partly because there's some broken pillars and shit for me to run around while my Atronach does the heavy lifting, and I can ward/heal through what I don't dodge. A little patience, and this thing goes down. I'm feeling pretty good because that didn't seem to bad at all.

Time for that wall with the fancy words on it. I've still only got the one word from the main quest, so I want something nice to spend this new dragon soul on. Turns out that plan sucks shit because upon approaching this wall, a god damn lich comes flying out of a sarcophagus and the first thing he does (besides scare the shit out of me) is throw down a Frost Atronach. Enter my 45-minute-long battle where we are standing maybe 40 meters apart at all times, dancing in a circle around our Atronachs. By "our Atronachs" I mean my Atronach fighting the one he is fucking capable of stealing with some kind of finger of command bullshit, and I'm desperately trying to not get hit with ridiculous fireballs that almost kill me outright.

About maybe three quarters of the way through his health bar (so maybe 30 minutes) I'm looking through my stuff desperately trying to find some way to make this end so I don't run out of resources, and I have a Scroll of Summon Storm Atronach. I move forward and throw this thing down right in his messed up face; he's now right near the edge of the cliff to the right of where he popped out of. But my Storm guy isn't doing anything, just sitting there doing some kind of spasm over and over. I look over at Kronis and he's just doing that command spell over and over; apparently he can't command the Storm Atronach but it's staggering him every time he resists it. Not only that, but each time he does it he's pushing my Atronach closer and closer to that edge, and surely enough right the fuck over he goes. Kronis too, apparently not happy with my Storm Atronach's disobedience, dives over the side.

So now I'm up here and he's down there, and after the Storm Atronach times out and crumbles, he's just looking up at me and hurling the occasional fireball. Now we're just chucking spells at each other and I'm trying to not fall off the edge or take a fireball on the chin, but I'm much happier with this arrangement since I can recharge more magicka without him getting a better position on me. With the help of my not very faithful Flame Atronach that I have to occasionally help kill with a second summon, this guy finally falls over into a pile of ash. I climb down to reap my rewards (a Staff of Fireballs and that fancy stealth-character mask people have posted), and looking ahead where bits of him rolled down the hill, I spot something sitting in the snow. A lone skeleton, laying across the ground clutching a small, black pyramid. Apparently the shrine of some Daedra, but there's no statues or altars... just this midnight black pyramid this skeleton seems to be using as a pillow.

So caught up in all this I almost forgot to go back and get my new shout. I have no idea where I am now, but I have the blessings of this random Daedra, a nice new walking stick, and I'm wearing that asshole's face. It's not very useful for me, and I don't even care.

Time to go hit level 10.

Marco1

Playing the 360 and it's great but is there anyway to get rid of the blue custom waypoint marker on the map once you've placed it?
Thanks.

Pollux

Just finished the Dark Brotherhood quest line. In my opinion, I think it was better than Oblivion's. Not as many quests like the one where you dropped the head on the dude in the chair in Bruma (I think), but overall a very good quest chain. And the finale, HOLY SHIT.

Now I think I'm going to get back to the Companion or Stormcloak quests. Or I might just do more exploring. Maybe work on my archery and get my smithing skill up. I'm dying to get to the Daedric Armor perk.

I've only done the main quest up to going meeting the Greybeards once.

This game just has EVERYTHING. I haven't been this entertained and addicted to a game in a long time.

Kayas said:
Don't spread them too thin... you'll only get about 50 and each perk tree has anywhere between 13 and 20 some odd points. If you drop them all over you'll never have enough to max any out.

Coins

Banned
Derrick01 said:
You have to try to cheese the fight by using something, whether it's man made or natural, as cover. I'm an Archer so I wait until it's hovering or on the ground and shoot some off then run behind whatever when he breathes fire/ice. Rinse and repeat until dead, it's worked on the 3 I've fought so far. I would have had a 4th if a Lich didn't spring out of a box and join the fight. There were dragon words by them too :(
I don't consider that cheesing the fight up. If I was fighting a dragon for real, I'd want some cover as well. Same way as a kite a giant to someplace he can't go and shoot away.

KorrZ

HOLY SHIT!!!! Just loaded back up my save after a break, was thinking that I'd like to go explore around a bit and find a dragon to fight, and one swoops down and attacks me right in the middle of the College of Winterhold. BEST GAME EVER.

IoCaster

Wow, what a rush. I got caught up in a battle of the Titans style death match with a Blood Dragon, two giants and two mammoths. Poor Lydia just didn't make it out alive from that savage encounter.

skybyebaby.png

She was a good sort, but Skyrim is a rough place. †RIP†

hamchan

Kayas said:
You get perks up to level 50 so that's 50 points to spread around I think. Seems like plenty imo.

Also some trees you don't need to max out. Like, I'm a one handed sword and shield guy but the one handed tree has some perks for axes and maces, stuff I'll never put points into.

Midou

Marco1 said:
Playing the 360 and it's great but is there anyway to get rid of the blue custom waypoint marker on the map once you've placed it?
Thanks.

Try to set another marker elsewhere and it will let you move or delete the marker.

f0rk

I'm enjoying my Wood Elf Ranger dude with no magic, but already considering making a second character that is all Mage, all the time.

Kayas

Neo Member
Oblivionmancer said:
Certainly there are a lot more perks than perk points available, which recommends some level of specialization, but the game isn't hard enough that you'll be unable to cope. I think it is a smart idea to maybe pick at least 1 combat skill that you want to max out on so you can fall back on it. Realistically, how often are you going to be switching styles of combat? I can't stand the thought of points used in skills I don't actually use, so I'd start with deciding what style of combat you really, seriously think you're going to favor and go from there.

Thanks for the tip. I've started to focus the last couple perks to keep it strong in a few areas.

Derrick01

Banned
KorrZ said:
HOLY SHIT!!!! Just loaded back up my save after a break, was thinking that I'd like to go explore around a bit and find a dragon to fight, and one swoops down and attacks me right in the middle of the College of Winterhold. BEST GAME EVER.

Was there a bunch of mages shooting spells off into the air? If that was happening, at night time of course, that'd be the greatest thing ever.

Pollux

f0rk said:
I'm enjoying my Wood Elf Ranger dude with no magic, but already considering making a second character that is all Mage, all the time.
I had the same dilemma. I loved my Nord Warrior but I really wanted to use magic.

So I started a Dunmer Mage. Will play him tonight.

What I wish they would do is let you separate saves by character. I'm terrified I'm going to be playing my Nord Warrior and overwrite the latest save with my Mage. Thus erasing almost 20 hours of work. Fuck that would suck.

Midou

f0rk said:

Yeah I plan to go one warrior type, thief type, and mage type by the time I'm done for a while. My first dude is 2H Axe and light armor, then I plan to go bow thief and steal everything, pickpocket everyone. Then mage, I never really played a mage in any ES game, but I have used magic a lot.

daebo

Seriously... so bad ass. Just hit the 24 hour mark. I've completed the college of magic quest line. I go buy a pair of dwarven boots that sends me head long into
the reach, starting a rebellion, watching the prisoners run around killing all the guards in Markarth... Goddamn so fucking good. Not to mention the House of Horrors quest and I got the bad ass Daedra mace?!?! Feel WAY powerful with that damn thing. So good.

And now I think I'm off to see what's up with the Bard College :lol Can't wait to see what that has in store for me!

Got home tonight, decided to play some more instead of going to bed. You want a report of the day's events? You got it.

I arrived in Solitude's palace when I overheard a resident of the settlement Dragon's Gate asking for help in clearing out a necromancer dungeon. Helpful as always, I volunteered.
It turned out that the necromancers were trying to resurrect Potema, the Wolf Queen of Solitude and one mean bitch back in the day of the Septims. The quest turned from a quick dungeon clearout into a battle with the spirit of an ancient queen as Potema's soul escaped and lured me beneath Solitude to her catacombs, where I had to find her remains and cleanse them.

A chance meeting with a rather odd fellow led me to the least likely of places:
the (insane) mind of long-dead emperor Pelagius III.
There I met
my old Oblivion character, or at least, what's left of him under the guise of Sheogorath.
He tasked me to
treat Pelagius' madness, so the poor guy could finally be at peace with being dead. Because, you know, he had death outlawed on his deathbed and it still came for him, the persistent bastard.
This required more thinking than fighting, which was a nice change of pace. Ultimately I was rewarded with the coveted
Wabbajack

I explored the marshes near Solitude. Creepy.

I discovered a word wall that taught me the first word of the 'Become Ethereal'-shout. That'll come in handy.

I discovered a ruin that might be familiar to those among us who've played TES: Arena:
The Laybrinthian

I fought a dragon on the top of a mountain. Accidentally died once when I misjudged a drop, too.

Killed a shitton of bandits, preferably by chopping their heads off.

Seeing Whiterun emerge from beyond the mists on the mountains is an awe-inspiring sight. This game is prettier than life.

Game of the forever, you guys.

It seems I got hit with the texture glitch (installed) for 360. What should I do? Clear my cache? Also - as there been any more word on this - i.e, incoming patch, ways to avoid it, things that cause it. Thanks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Amir0x said:
I am just a hunter, so it's really convenient to just have an Archer trainer just come around with me as my sidekick so I can let him train my levels whenever I have need to let loose some of my gold. Me and this elf dude have got along real well. He's vicious too. Some skeleton comes and he's all "I'll kill you!" I think he didn't believe the mystical golden claw shit though 'cause when I got to the end of that quest and he saw the altar he said "well, would you look at that" all in awe like he is surprised there was anything there! Anyway, we got shitfaced drunk after that and whored around. Good times, good times.
I'm rolling with Faendal too. Loved his lines during that quest, and he impressed me by actually being decent at stealth. Never really caused me to get detected and was always there with a few arrows to the skull after I pulled off a backstab.

edit: Wow, this page is filled with so much amazing that I'm actually starting to lean toward GOTY for me here, and I very much did not expect anything to take it from Dark Souls in my mind.

Marco1

lowhighkang_LHK said:
It seems I got hit with the texture glitch (installed) for 360. What should I do? Clear my cache? Also - as there been any more word on this - i.e, incoming patch, ways to avoid it, things that cause it. Thanks.
It seems pressing B and going into the menu triggers it.
They say they're working on it but nobody knows when it will be fixed.
It is really ruining the immersion for me.

Amir0x

Banned
Hawkian said:
I'm rolling with Faendal too. Loved his lines during that quest, and he impressed me by actually being decent at stealth. Never really caused me to get detected and was always there with a few arrows to the skull after I pulled off a backstab.

The dude always goes into stealth when I stealth, so that worked. I am just a straight hunter, but I don't know if I'll be thief-y yet and always backstab. I'm not sure I want to rob people. Only it's kind of difficult not to want to pick up every book I see, being a book worm and all. That got me in trouble at the tavern...

BlisterBrown said:
How in the hell are you guys downing these dragons so easily? I'm fighting my first one outside of the main story line and I can barely scratch the thing. Just flies over me while I'm trying to shoot him with my bow and pwns me with what I assume is a frost breath :(

I've found you have to make sure you're running around a bit of terrain large enough for him to land, so you can beat the shit out of him with your axe.

mileS

I was kind of scared of getting the Archer trainer to follow me around because companions can die and I wouldn't want to have him randomly die when I would need to use him to train later on.

datamage

So what difficulty are you guys playing on?

I switched from adept to expert since I was just smashing through everyone. I just hope expert doesn't become ridiculous. (I'm around level 9 now.)

Image borrowed from "Ape Gone Insane":

2m5cxut.jpg

I think it was on the Weekend Confirmed podcast that someone was saying the NPC's and all the humanoid characters were still really ugly. But this picture proves that person wrong. Such a step up from Oblivion. That woman is actually attractive.

edit: image resized.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
Derrick01 said:
Sweet, that seems to work. Thanks.

I think I'm going to start maxing out one combat tree at a time now. I've been spreading points around but it's just getting tougher and tougher the higher level I get.

One more thing: Other than the weight and armor values, what's the difference between light and heavy armor? I've been only useing light armor up to this point (lvl 14).

Varna

Damn.

Impulse buy. The impressions sounded really cool... but so did the ones in Oblivion. I enjoyed it, but ultimately got bored and never really followed the main quest. Don't let me down again Elder Scrolls.

Fjordson

lowhighkang_LHK said:
I don't know if there's really any concrete way to avoid it. Bethesda's said they're aware of it, though, and are working on a fix for the next patch.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Amir0x said:
The dude always goes into stealth when I stealth, so that worked. I am just a straight hunter, but I don't know if I'll be thief-y yet and always backstab. I'm not sure I want to rob people. Only it's kind of difficult not to want to pick up every book I see, being a book worm and all. That got me in trouble at the tavern...
Hehe. I'm no thief- having stolen a single coin yet. I'm an assassin. A nightblade, technically. My goal is to kill without being seen- or seen only a second or two before death.

by the way, Wallach, awesome story.
That pyramid's usually the shrine of Julianos, one of the divines, though, and not of a Daedra
. You have to do some crazier things to get their blessings. :p

Zhaanie

Banned
Alright, I'm getting tired of being detected every time I try to feed on humans. How much skill in sneaking should I have to successfully pull this off?

Also, would removing my gear make any difference? :p

Pollux

Blue Ninja said:
Got home tonight, decided to play some more instead of going to bed. You want a report of the day's events? You got it.

I arrived in Solitude's palace when I overheard a resident of the settlement Dragon's Gate asking for help in clearing out a necromancer dungeon. Helpful as always, I volunteered.
It turned out that the necromancers were trying to resurrect Potema, the Wolf Queen of Solitude and one mean bitch back in the day of the Septims. The quest turned from a quick dungeon clearout into a battle with the spirit of an ancient queen as Potema's soul escaped and lured me beneath Solitude to her catacombs, where I had to find her remains and cleanse them.

A chance meeting with a rather odd fellow led me to the least likely of places:
the (insane) mind of long-dead emperor Pelagius III.
There I met
my old Oblivion character, or at least, what's left of him under the guise of Sheogorath.
He tasked me to
treat Pelagius' madness, so the poor guy could finally be at peace with being dead. Because, you know, he had death outlawed on his deathbed and it still came for him, the persistent bastard.
This required more thinking than fighting, which was a nice change of pace. Ultimately I was rewarded with the coveted
Wabbajack

I explored the marshes near Solitude. Creepy.

I discovered a word wall that taught me the first word of the 'Become Ethereal'-shout. That'll come in handy.

I discovered a ruin that might be familiar to those among us who've played TES: Arena:
The Laybrinthian

I fought a dragon on the top of a mountain. Accidentally died once when I misjudged a drop, too.

Killed a shitton of bandits, preferably by chopping their heads off.

Seeing Whiterun emerge from beyond the mists on the mountains is an awe-inspiring sight. This game is prettier than life.

Game of the forever, you guys.

Game of the Forever until Elder Scrolls VI comes out. Is it bad that I'm already imagining what that might be like on a next gen. system? If this is this damn good, just fucking imagine. holy crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom