• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Hawkian said:
Essentially if you know what you want to do with your character you can't go wrong. Skill leveling is very satisfying, and being a 1H magic/sword user with lesser skill in archery is totally viable. There are no classes, and the signs work a totally different way than in Oblivion (but are fucking awesome, fear not).
That's reassuring. Thanks. It's interesting that the game has held my hand so little.

Bluth54

Somehow the world map in my game in now glitched, it wont show secondary locations that I haven't visited yet, including ones that I already had on my map. When I choose the show on map option in my journal it does take me to where it would be on the world map, but still nothing shows up. As soon as I get to a secondary location it will show up on the map. :(

Locke562

Cutwolf said:
I have a ton of expert level fire spells (my destruction is 64), but they cost way too much magicka for me to wield efficiently at 18.

You have to have reached a certain level with the spell field to find new spells I think.

Ah, okay. My destruction skill is at 56 right now. I'll level it up and look around. Did you buy all your spells at the College?

-GOUKI-

Cutwolf said:
Can you elaborate on 1) why and 2) how to become one? Would it be fun as a mage as well?
Join the companions. Do the 2nd mission for them and you'll find out they're all werewolves. Personally i got rid of it because it didn't seem to level up with the rest of me. Too weak :/

Cutwolf

Locke562 said:
Ah, okay. My destruction skill is at 56 right now. I'll level it up and look around. Did you buy all your spells at the College?

Yeah. They get expensive (like 3000 gold per for master level).

I think, though I'm not sure, you also need to own the lower tier of the expert spell. For example, you can't buy an expert level flame wall without having the starting flame blast.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Grinchy said:
So, has anyone bought this off of ? I've never even used the service but Skryim for $30 sounds too good to be true.
Recommend against. And apparently the sites are banned now.

In the interest of why, I went for it, then got this email:
Dear Client

As you probably have heard already the Russian Version of Skyrim is Region
blocked and can only be played in Russia.

Given this situation we will refund everyone who ordered Sykrim from us 100%
of his money, please understand that this will take a little time since we
are talking about many orders, we hope to be finished with everything within
24 maximum 48 hours from now.

We are working on getting a EU Version and will obviously let everyone know
as soon as we have details about it.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and hope to still have you back as
a customer in the future.

Following that, they did follow up with some convoluted solution that would have enabled it to at least decrypt and play, but I just went for the refund- won't be touching them again. Got it from GMG for $53.

dantehemi

What kinda armor should I be using with my nord character, I'm using 1h sword, 1h magic.. And up to level 9 I have been using the basic imperial armor, so I have been leveling up light armor. Is this ok to continue this way or should I be using heavy armor?

Cutwolf

Cutwolf said:
Just got the
Skull of Corruption
. Man, did they nerf one of the most fun items in Oblivion into nothingness or what?

Regret choosing to get it instead of the other path.

One thing I'm noticing about this game compared to Oblivion is that a lot of the items are less fun. Where's the whimsy? Where's the staff that duplicates people into an evil clone?

Blah.

So I'm a level 18 mage. Finished
College of Winterhold
. What other quests or things should I do to further uberfy myself?

Someone find me whimsy, please!

IoCaster

Drazgul said:
That doesn't look like an afermath of an epic battle, it looks like she and the mammoth just finished having sex and are now basking in the afternoon sun. All that's missing is both of them smoking a cigarette.

Right, the BioWare forums are over there --> BSN

Grinchy

Banned
Hawkian said:
Recommend against. And apparently the sites are banned now.

In the interest of why, I went for it, then got this email:

Following that, they did follow up with some convoluted solution that would have enabled it to at least decrypt and play, but I just went for the refund- won't be touching them again. Got it from GMG for $53.
Thanks for the info. Mind taking that link out of the quote from me? I read about it here months ago, didn't realize it had become an issue/banned site.

Locke562

Cutwolf said:
Yeah. They get expensive (like 3000 gold per for master level).

I think, though I'm not sure, you also need to own the lower tier of the expert spell. For example, you can't buy an expert level flame wall without having the starting flame blast.

Interesting. Did you play Oblivion? Are there a lot less spells and spell types?

Blackface

Banned
Question

Doing the start of the Dark Brotherhood. Got the people I need to kill. However I received 0 quests in my quest book.

Anyone know wtf is up?

ElyrionX

The leveling system in Skyrim, while leagues ahead of that in Oblivion, remains as flawed as ever. The problem is that while using a particular skill to level it sounds and works inuitively enough, it just doesn't work out that well in reality. The differing rates at which skills level doesn't help either. I've used ten times more Destruction spells than Illusion ones and yet my Illusion skill is higher than Destruction by three levels.

Also, some skills are just difficult to level. I keep failing persuasion checks and yet I don't see how I can level this skill to start passing persuasion checks apart from selling an ass-ton of items to merchants which will take forever. Finally, if you spend a chunk of time leveling enchanting/smithing/lockpick/any non-combat skill and gain a few character levels as a result, good luck with your next dungeon, thanks to the scaled enemies mechanic.

They really should ditch this crappy use-and-level-your-skills system and just let you pick which skills you want to advance when you gain a level from accummulating experience points. This would also make question completion feel more rewarding because they can actually give you something more substantial instead of a pitiful amount of gold and some cheap item. I can't believe they didn't learn this from Oblivion.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Forkball said:
You guys are supposed to be posting about how disappointing this game is do I don't cave and buy it. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU?

Well, it is disappointing. The same hate that Oblivion gets will find its way to Skyrim once the honeymoon is over.

Lets recap:

1. Graphics are much better this time around, but they're still nothing to shout about.
2. Gameplay is still quite bland and the game WILL get stale after awhile.
3. Voicework is generic.

Love the music, though.

Cutwolf

Locke562 said:
Interesting. Did you play Oblivion? Are there a lot less spells and spell types?

I did, but I don't remember. After putting like 80 hours into Oblivion in the first 2-3 weeks, I burnt out...lol. I didn't play a mage either. This is the first RPG in which I'm playing a mage. It's very well done.

Higher level spells are pretty awesome. Nothing that really looks different, but great damage.

Cutwolf

ElyrionX said:
The leveling system in Skyrim, while leagues ahead of that in Oblivion, remains as flawed as ever. The problem is that while using a particular skill to level it sounds and works inuitively enough, it just doesn't work out that well in reality. The differing rates at which skills level doesn't help either. I've used ten times more Destruction spells than Illusion ones and yet my Illusion skill is higher than Destruction by three levels.

Also, some skills are just difficult to level. I keep failing persuasion checks and yet I don't see how I can level this skill to start passing persuasion checks apart from selling an ass-ton of items to merchants which will take forever. Finally, if you spend a chunk of time leveling enchanting/smithing/lockpick/any non-combat skill and gain a few character levels as a result, good luck with your next dungeon, thanks to the scaled enemies mechanic.

They really should ditch this crappy use-and-level-your-skills system and just let you pick which skills you want to advance when you gain a level from accummulating experience points. This would also make question completion feel more rewarding because they can actually give you something more substantial instead of a pitiful amount of gold and some cheap item. I can't believe they didn't learn this from Oblivion.

I find my skills leveling at the rate I'd expect proportionate to one another. 64 destruction, 41 restoration, 44 conjuration. That just feels right for how I've played. Not sure why yours feels different.

Cutwolf said:
Can you elaborate on 1) why and 2) how to become one? Would it be fun as a mage as well?

Well,
it just feels good to rush into a group of bandits, hitting them and watching them fly away to hit the wall a few meters further. You just feel fucking powerful. And how to become one: join the companions.
I think everyone should have at least tried being one, doesn't matter what class you are.

Salaadin

Question about early Companion questline:
Whatre the postives/negatives to becoming a werewolf? Do I get any boosts while in human form or is it werewolf form only? As far as the silver weakness goes, does that apply to both human and werewolf form or is that only in werewolf form too?

Blackface

Banned
Chiggs said:
Well, it is disappointing. The same hate that Oblivion gets will find its way to Skyrim once the honeymoon is over.

Lets recap:

1. Graphics are much better this time around, but they're still nothing to shout about.
2. Gameplay is still quite bland and the game WILL get stale after awhile.
3. Voicework is generic.

Love the music, though.

There is noway a human being with eye's, who is playing on PC at high or ultra-high can say this. The game is one of the best looking games ever made.

ON consoles it won't look as good. Since console tech is fucking embarrassing, and the game is so huge. You can't have the sheer amount of power and assets needed to make the game look good on a console. No developer could. It's to big.

coopolon

Snuggler said:
So whatever happened to all that talk of shopkeepers being replaced by siblings when they're killed? I decided to murder the apothecary lady in Whiterun and the shop is still empty...

WTF man? Arcadia is super nice, she just gave me a book just cause. And that's after I stole every single reagent in her shop. What'd she do to you to deserve death?

Zhaanie

Banned
UGH.

Why am I not getting a feed option? I finally managed to sneak up to a sleeping NPC but the game only gave me the choice of lockpicking.

So fucking frustrating, I'm sick of being a shitty vampire lol.

UrokeJoe

I walked out on Lydia when she was offered to me. Was she a one time deal or can I find her again? I thought she would still be there when I got back..

dantehemi said:
What kinda armor should I be using with my nord character, I'm using 1h sword, 1h magic.. And up to level 9 I have been using the basic imperial armor, so I have been leveling up light armor. Is this ok to continue this way or should I be using heavy armor?

Light armor if you want to be sneaky/move faster. Heavy armor if not.

zmoney said:
Just finished the Dark Brotherhood quest line. In my opinion, I think it was better than Oblivion's. Not as many quests like the one where you dropped the head on the dude in the chair in Bruma (I think), but overall a very good quest chain. And the finale, HOLY SHIT.

Now I think I'm going to get back to the Companion or Stormcloak quests. Or I might just do more exploring. Maybe work on my archery and get my smithing skill up. I'm dying to get to the Daedric Armor perk.

I've only done the main quest up to going meeting the Greybeards once.

This game just has EVERYTHING. I haven't been this entertained and addicted to a game in a long time.

It was great indeed. The whodunit quest in Oblivion will never be beaten though. That was just brilliant.

Roche

Just had a fight involving two Dragons, two Cave Bears and a Frost Troll, that battle was too amazing for me to properly put it into words...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Grinchy said:
Thanks for the info. Mind taking that link out of the quote from me? I read about it here months ago, didn't realize it had become an issue/banned site.
Done, sorry. It was just banned.

bengraven

Holy shit.

HOLY SHIT. Mind blown.

I had no idea about the "dragon's perch" in Dragonreach. I went upstairs past the Jarl and into the dining room, then through doors there and holy fuck this is a huge room omg it's open to the sky and this is the best part of the game so far.

Jarl's bodyguard and butler were eating at the table on the faaaaaar end of the "room", overlooking the rest of the world and now I know where the butler goes when he's not next ot the Jarl.

Animator

Guys I am stuck big time please help!

I am doing the "Forbidden Legend" quest and I am at the last place where you are supposed to get the
last piece of the amulet.

I am stuck in this section where there are two raised drawbridges and I found a lever that does not lower them but I can't find anything else anywhere else in the level and because I jumped in a hole to get here I cannot go back either.

The place in question is this:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/613842483383264845/4399006DAFBD621699298802B225848C9DC8F8A7/

And the lever and the bridge is this:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/613842483383265939/8C1743A70B4885EC525BFA0465317282C60407F1/
[/quote]

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Zhaanie said:
UGH.

Why am I not getting a feed option? I finally managed to sneak up to a sleeping NPC but the game only gave me the choice of lockpicking.

So fucking frustrating, I'm sick of being a shitty vampire lol.
What stage of vampire are you?

The abilities seem awesome to me, but if you're sure you want to get rid of it, there's a quest to cure it by going to
Dead Man's Drink in Falkreath.

Ghost23

I'm having trouble on the first college of mages mission where I have to locate the 4 magical artifacts in the cave. I have no clue where they are. I don't even know where I'm supposed to look!

Also, I was going to go battlemage for my character, but the more I think about it, I'm wondering if I should just go full mage. What do you guys think I should do?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Blah - I don't want to abuse the fact that I'm playing on PC for the carry weight console command. It's so rough when you go delving like this and you come out with SO much awesome. Is there a way to increase this besides investing points into the Sneak tree?

Also, how do I upgrade my house in Whiterun for more storage containers? I want to be able to sort my stuff better.

Duki

Banned
if it looks like you havent been given a quest in your journal that you should have been given, try just scrolling up in your quest log.

i literally was completely confused but it had shifted down one slot even though it looked like i was all the way at the top of the list

Wow, just had my first random dragon encounter. I just arrived at Riften and heard the dragon cries, then a stream of fire just blasted straight down into the little khajiit camp outside the city. The guards kicked into life and all the khajiit joined in, it was so epic.

Now everyone (including a few rubber neckers) is gathered around the skeleton in amazement.

Antagon

Blackface said:
There is noway a human being with eye's, who is playing on PC at high or ultra-high can say this. The game is one of the best looking games ever made.

ON consoles it won't look as good. Since console tech is fucking embarrassing, and the game is so huge. You can't have the sheer amount of power and assets needed to make the game look good on a console. No developer could. It's to big.

The difference between console and pc isn't all that big actually.

NBtoaster

I lost my dog :(

Told him to wait in High Hrothgar and now he isn't there, and doesn't arrive when I fast travel. I could go back to where I found him, but I dont know where exactly that was (somewhere in the plains).

balddemon

Banned
i still can't figure out how to change which magics i'm dual wielding effectively. its actually impossible for me to do it without switching to a weapon in both hands, unequipping the weapon, and then selecting the magic. tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom