• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0rk

ezekial45 said:
While true, I kinda want to figure out how i can make some health potions so I can finish this dungeon.

Eat the ingredients you have and then combine stuff with the attribute you want.

Amir0x

Banned
mileS said:
I was kind of scared of getting the Archer trainer to follow me around because companions can die and I wouldn't want to have him randomly die when I would need to use him to train later on.

he's actually really good. I just tell him to wait when I'm going through trap sections because he WILL get himself molested walking through.

jfkgoblue

does anyone know exactly what this "ghostrider" is for, I followed him until he disapeared and some skeletons attacked me
65s4dt.jpg

Wallach

Blue Ninja said:
by the way, Wallach, awesome story.
That pyramid's usually the shrine of Julianos, one of the divines, though, and not of a Daedra
. You have to do some crazier things to get their blessings. :p

Ohhhhhhh, okay. I think that is what it was called, yeah. Not a very pleasant looking thing for what it is.

Zeliard

ezekial45 said:
While true, I kinda want to figure out how i can make some health potions so I can finish this dungeon.

Wheat and blisterwort will get you a minor health pot. Remember that you can simply use/eat ingredients straight from your inventory and discover their effects that way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
datamage said:
So what difficulty are you guys playing on?

I switched from adept to expert since I was just smashing through everyone. I just hope expert doesn't become ridiculous. (I'm around level 9 now.)
Master, never look back.

Pollux

Amir0x said:
he's actually really good. I just tell him to wait when I'm going through trap sections because he WILL get himself molested walking through.

Am I the only one that doesn't like using companions? I have the hold shit and then leave them at my house. I just don't like being followed around.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
zmoney said:
Am I the only one that doesn't like using companions? I have the hold shit and then leave them at my house. I just don't like being followed around.
He's helping me in the early game immensely. Though I'll probably leave my companion for good once I join the Brotherhood. A true assassin has no time for friends.

Marco1 said:
It seems pressing B and going into the menu triggers it.
They say they're working on it but nobody knows when it will be fixed.
It is really ruining the immersion for me.

What the fuck? Pressing B - going into the fucking menu causes this?

AND NOBODY IN QA picked up on this?!?!

I also heard the texture glitch happens with the PS3 version.

Dark Souls, Uncharted 3 (aiming problems) and now this - it's like every fucking game needs one or two patches to be playable "as advertised"

Loving the game but I'm starting to notice these texture problems more and more now.

Is there an advantage of wearing lighter armor outside of running faster?

If you steal a
horse
does it not wait for you outside of a dungeon??

Zeliard

zmoney said:

My only issue with them is the same one from F3/NV - they're just too damn strong. Even on Master they wreck fools, at least for the earlier parts of the game. They're enormously useful to have around as pack mules so it's hard to resist not taking one along.

Drazgul

IoCaster said:
skybyebaby.png

She was a good sort, but Skyrim is a rough place. †RIP†

That doesn't look like an afermath of an epic battle, it looks like she and the mammoth just finished having sex and are now basking in the afternoon sun. All that's missing is both of them smoking a cigarette.

WARP10CK

Banned
Zeliard said:
My only issue with them is the same one from F3/NV - they're just too damn strong. Even on Master they wreck fools, at least for the earlier parts of the game. They're enormously useful to have around as pack mules so it's hard to resist not taking one along.

Yeah I had to attack a fort of somekind with a bunch of npc allies and they were hanging in the back while Lydia shit up.

I looked back at the other "allies" I had and thought feel free to join in guys.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Zeliard said:
Wheat and blisterwort will get you a minor health pot. Remember that you can simply use/eat ingredients straight from your inventory and discover their effects that way.

I usually just eat one and make random combos but for expensive stuff like frost salts it's a little frustrating to literally trash them in a bad combo :(

benzy

Marco1 said:
It seems pressing B and going into the menu triggers it.
They say they're working on it but nobody knows when it will be fixed.
It is really ruining the immersion for me.

Does this only trigger if it's installed?

Amir0x

Banned
zmoney said:

He's just so damned convenient. Pick up a sack of loot in some dungeon, turn around and hand it to him to go up another archer proficiency level. saves me like a billion hours

Zeliard

MWS Natural said:
Is there an advantage of wearing lighter armor outside of running faster?

You generally make less noise and dodge more effectively. Light armor also uses up less stamina, along with of course weighing less. There are useful perks in both the light and heavy armor trees that make them significantly better. I'm mostly going Mage gear though.

MWS Natural said:
If you steal a
horse
does it not wait for you outside of a dungeon??

Stolen horses will trot off if you leave them alone for too long.

joesmokey

Holy shit, I just realized from a friend that you can give items to your companion to hold on to, as well as equip them with better weapons/armor.

GhaleonEB

I'm so glad Bethesda beefed up archery to the point where it's a viable primary skill. I just cleared out a cave of bandits, and was able to sneak up and one-shot all but the last boss dude. Sneaking around, watching their movement patterns, then lining up and nailing the shot from stealth and seeing them crumple in a ball of flames feels soooo good. Second hardest difficulty, too.

hitmon

So far I'm really enjoying this game. I did not like and could not get into Oblivion. Maybe its the world or it just looks better, I'm not really sure. I hope we get fixes for the known bugs like the arrows stuck in your character not disappearing and the texture issues soon.

benzy said:
Does this only trigger if it's installed?

I keep hearing that it doesn't matter either way. If it happens in both instances - I might as well enjoy faster load times. But if not - then, I'll uninstall it. How the load times that worse uninstalled?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Amir0x said:
He's just so damned convenient. Pick up a sack of loot in some dungeon, turn around and hand it to him to go up another archer proficiency level. saves me like a billion hours
That reminds me, the fellow Khajiit sneak trainer outside of Whiterun- think I'll pay him a visit first thing when I get home before I head back to Illnata's.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Just starting the game out. Made level one and put it into speech a pube away from level 2.

What should I be doing?
It never asked me for my class or sign.

I have a wood elf who I'm currently using with healing in one hand and a sword in the other. I also like to sneak around and snipe fools with my bow before they can get in close.

I don't wanna min/max per se, but I remember that the last two times I tried a fucking Elder Scrolls game I ended up feeling like I built my character wrong and that I needed to start over if I ever hoped to kill a mud crab.

Is there a general strategy to leveling and building my character?

As for the game. This is the first of the 3 I've played that I felt "drawn into" and I have some small interest in the main quest. (I plan on just rolling through the main one and seeing what catches my eye along the way)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lastplayed said:
Oh man, the Dark Brotherhood recruitment "task" was awesome. Sign me up!
cannot WAIT
Staccat0 said:
Just starting the game out. Made level one and put it into speech a pube away from level 2.

What should I be doing?

I have a wood elf who I'm currently using with healing in one hand and a sword in the other. I also like to sneak around and snipe fools with my bow before they can get in close.

I don't wanna min/max per se, but I remember that the last two times I tried a fucking Elder Scrolls game I ended up feeling like I built my character wrong and that I needed to start over if I ever hoped to kill a mud crab.

Is there a general strategy to leveling and building my character?

As for the game. This is the first of the 3 I've played that I felt "drawn into" and I have some small interest in the main quest. (I plan on just rolling through the main one and seeing what catches my eye along the way)
Essentially if you know what you want to do with your character you can't go wrong. Skill leveling is very satisfying, and being a 1H magic/sword user with lesser skill in archery is totally viable. There are no classes, and the signs work a totally different way than in Oblivion (but are fucking awesome, fear not).

Zeliard

LuchaShaq said:
I usually just eat one and make random combos but for expensive stuff like frost salts it's a little frustrating to literally trash them in a bad combo :(

Yeah you gotta be careful about some of that. For the rarer ingredients I try to wait until I have a recipe of some sort. I suppose you could just quick save/quick load your way through it but that seems a little cheap for something that's meant to be about experimentation.

joesmokey said:
Holy shit, I just realized from a friend that you can give items to your companion to hold on to, as well as equip them with better weapons/armor.

Yeah that's one of the best parts. Right now my follower is using an Ancient Nord Greatsword of Cold that I got from that first dragon at the watchtower near Whiterun. :p Dunno if that's a 100% drop or not.

Cutwolf

Just got the
Skull of Corruption
. Man, did they nerf one of the most fun items in Oblivion into nothingness or what?

Regret choosing to get it instead of the other path.

One thing I'm noticing about this game compared to Oblivion is that a lot of the items are less fun. Where's the whimsy? Where's the staff that duplicates people into an evil clone?

Blah.

So I'm a level 18 mage. Finished
College of Winterhold
. What other quests or things should I do to further uberfy myself?

Locke562

I really, REALLY miss being able to make my own spells. For some reason I'm having a really hard time finding spells powerful enough at level 20.

Khezu

Neat, killed my second dragon, though I guess I didn't really, I came out of a dungeon and randomly a dragon and a giant were getting into things, so I let the giant tank him and shot him in the ass with lightning.

Never got close enough to the giant for him to aggro, so we were cool.

Cutwolf

Locke562 said:
I really, REALLY miss being able to make my own spells. For some reason I'm having a really hard time finding spells powerful enough at level 20.

I have a ton of expert level fire spells (my destruction is 64), but they cost way too much magicka for me to wield efficiently at 18.

You have to have reached a certain level with the spell field to find new spells I think.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ah, it wouldn't be an RPG if there wasn't an encounter that I was clearly underleveled for that I just kept trying over and over again for two hours to beat anyway.

Retrieving Nettlebane from the Hag

GhaleonEB said:
I'm so glad Bethesda beefed up archery to the point where it's a viable primary skill. I just cleared out a cave of bandits, and was able to sneak up and one-shot all but the last boss dude. Sneaking around, watching their movement patterns, then lining up and nailing the shot from stealth and seeing them crumple in a ball of flames feels soooo good.

...yeah, but the game doesn't really require that kind of play - it's not Dark Souls in terms of challenge =p

Staccat0 said:

What should I be doing?
The character creation is a bit different this time. You don't assign a class or get a star sign. You basically create your character as you progress in the game, depending on what you do, what you wear, or how you choose to engage in combat.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I didn't realize there was a thieves' guild too. I'll have to get in good with those guys after I show where my true allegiance lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom