• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
I think I should actually start doing some quests here. After being in Whiterun and...waking up...in Markarth and exploring that city, then eventually making my way to Windhelm and taking a ride to Riften I have about 14 side quests and well over 30 miscellaneous going on.

Every time I decide to go find the Dark Brotherhood I get distracted and pick up 5 more things to do.

Anno

Alright, just played the first three hours I've ever played in an Elder Scrolls game. In that time I've:

- Not even gone in the direction of the first town thing
- Killed a bunch of bandits, two of whom wielded magic for some reason
- Ascended through a bunch of caves, fought a tough wolf and ultimately emerged at some large statue. There were some glowing words (I'm assuming dragon related) that I learned. There was also a nice chest with some cool loot.
- As I stood on the side of a cliff looking over the vast expanse some thief came running out of the woods behind me. Luckily I'm playing in 3rd person view so I jumped out of the way, drew my sword and quickly dispatched him. Soon thereafter I met a hunter who was apparently hunting the man and I reunited him with his stolen treasure.
- Sniped some bandits from really far away

So yeah, basically nothing in the grand scale of things. But already I feel like a badass. The scale and breadth of even this tiny section of Skyrim is just magnificent. Can't wait to play more later.

lostxii

Havok said:
I had the exact same experience, just stumbled onto it randomly. Then got to the end and found out I didn't have some item to get the big reward (at least I hope there was a reward). Hooray!
I just had this experience as well. Spent a lot of time looking around the dungeon for some item to make the mechanism work.

mik83kuu

Banned
Still loving the game, but I sort of can't wait to see the gradual GAF burn-out for this game :) I'm still far from it myself.

I fucking love the new scaling system so far. Been poking in high-level areas and it really makes the world seem more dangerous.

CrazyDude

Derrick01 said:
I think I should actually start doing some quests here. After being in Whiterun and...waking up...in Markarth and exploring that city, then eventually making my way to Windhelm and taking a ride to Riften I have about 14 side quests and well over 30 miscellaneous going on.

Every time I decide to go find the Dark Brotherhood I get distracted and pick up 5 more things to do.
Tell me about it. I keep trying to focus on one thing, but then a billion other things get my attention.

Oblivionmancer said:
Having a blast with the game, but a weird issue is coming up. I cannot seem to figure out how to rename enchanted items successfully; I press the button to enter a name, enter the name I want, and complete the enchantment, but the item always ends up keeping it's base name. This is on PC. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Never got an answer on this one, anyone able to tell me what obvious stupid mistake I'm making? :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yes! I just raided a bandit fort and ran into the boss guy at the top of a tower and used my newly powered-up shout to blast him down to his death. This thing is totally Force push.

KorrZ

Anyone know a place to buy high level destruction spells yet? My destruction is around level 60 and I'm still using the same Lightning Bolt spell I've had since level 30 destruction.

Anyone know where to get Detect Life spell? This thread moves so quickly, I can't find where to buy it.

Oblivionmancer said:
Having a blast with the game, but a weird issue is coming up. I cannot seem to figure out how to rename enchanted items successfully; I press the button to enter a name, enter the name I want, and complete the enchantment, but the item always ends up keeping it's base name. This is on PC. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Press Rename
Erase Old Name, Type New Name
Press Enter
Press Enchant

It's worked for me that way, enchanted quite a few items.

Clevinger

I was walking around in the wilderness when I spot this unarmed Orc fistfighting a whole damn pack of wolves. I start sniping them off with arrows, trying to save his life in time. When all the wolves are dead, he runs after me and starts punching me (I was very careful not to hit him with any arrows), so I was forced to kill him. I look through his inventory and he has a bunch of skooma.

What the hell? I guess he was just some random, crazy, wolf punching skooma addict?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anno said:
- Ascended through a bunch of caves, fought a tough wolf and ultimately emerged at some large statue. There were some glowing words (I'm assuming dragon related) that I learned. There was also a nice chest with some cool loot.
Damn, you found a dragon word before the first quest! Mind describing where it was?

FStop7

Banned
This was the craziest surprise battle I've had yet.

I fast traveled to a town and arrived as a dragon attack was in progress. My companion and I started attacking the dragon and had it worked down to about 30% health when it flew up and landed in a spot on the edge of town, right next to a giant. The giant aggro'd and it and the dragon started to fight each other. I shot an arrow at the dragon which hit, but I guess that was still enough to redirect the giant's aggro toward us. So now my companion was circling the giant while I was trying to hit it with arrows and simultaneously keep track of where the dragon was at. My companion suddenly disappeared, either knocked down or stuck on the terrain. Next thing I knew the giant was barreling toward me as I continued to fire arrows at it while backpedaling. There were like 5 arrow shafts sticking out of its head and upper body and it still kept coming. All of a sudden I started taking damage, even though the giant wasn't close enough yet to hit me and the dragon was flying off in the distance. I turned around, expecting to see a second giant or something equally terrible that was about to kill me, and to my absolute surprise it was a little mud crab, snapping away at my feet. The idea that this little crab would go full on Leeroy Jenkins and rush into the battle made me laugh so hard I had to pause the game. Once Leeroy the crab was dead I finally brought down the giant, found where my companion had gotten stuck at, and we finished off the dragon pretty quickly. The way the battle happened with no forewarning or time to prepare made it more fun. This game has been so good, from the very start.

Anno

Hawkian said:
Damn, you found a dragon word before the first quest! Mind describing where it was?

If I remember correctly,
I turned left after leaving the tutorial cave thing and ran into the woods. I found a bandit hangout and a little cabin with some burned bodies nearby. That place had a pretty cool book to read, btw. From there I went northwestish until I ran into a cave. After going through that cave I kept going up the hill until I found another. The statue was after I cleared that cave out

oh brotherhood contract kills, how i love you so. especially when i need the money from just buying a house. i dont need that shit foreclosed. fuck the imperials.

Clevinger said:
I was walking around in the wilderness when I spot this unarmed Orc fistfighting a whole damn pack of wolves. I start sniping them off with arrows, trying to save his life in time. When all the wolves are dead, he runs after me and starts punching me (I was very careful not to hit him with any arrows), so I was forced to kill him. I look through his inventory and he has a bunch of skooma.

What the hell? I guess he was just some random, crazy, wolf punching skooma addict?

I saw some people with a bodyguard walking to town, I was sneaking on a cliff above and also saw some wolves in the distance. I shot one of the wolves and they came and killed the innocent people. I also started a fight between a wolf and mammoth by doing the same thing. There's loads of cool random shit that can happen :D

Chiggs

Gold Member
Clevinger said:

In Oblivion, I accidentally stole an apple off some king's table near the end of the game. This caused 5 guards to chase me outside the city, to where a massive Oblivion gate battle was taking place. As I ran past the fierce battle, the guards who were battling the demons stopped their fighting and started to pursue me.

The magic of Bethesda.

Salaadin

Salaadin said:
Question about early Companion questline:
Whatre the postives/negatives to becoming a werewolf? Do I get any boosts while in human form or is it werewolf form only? As far as the silver weakness goes, does that apply to both human and werewolf form or is that only in werewolf form too?

Anyone?
I did the transformation already so not like it matters. I just want to know if Im going to regret this later.

Giants are assholes. I wonder how high you have to be in order to go toe to toe with one and not have to worry about being killed in 1-2 hits :(

Dizzy-4U

bounchfx said:
20 hours in, level 16, just fucking manslaughtered
the eastwatch keep with the ass holes keeping the grey-mane dude there. I couldn't figure out how to make them give me the guy, so I went full on warfare against them. Push Shout + ledges = 5 people dead at once
Haha, did the same a few hours ago. Burned them all to hell.

Korosenai

Derrick01 said:
50 softcap, 70 hardcap and you don't get any perks after 50.
The strat guide says level 80

"There is no fixed "maximum level" (i.e., Level 50) for you to attain. However, if you were to raise all of your skills to 100, this would - eventually - take you to around level 80. As you're only able to choose one perk each time you level up, and there are well over 200 skill-based perks, don't fixate on obtaining every single one, as that's impossible."

Merino

Is it possible for NPC Merchants to change their inventory?
I mean special items specifically. Regarding the two weapon/apparel merchants in Whiterun:

I specifically remember seeing gloves and another apparal item for sale at the smiths in Whiterun that had a Archery bonus. Comming back there days later with the cash to buy those items and they are not in their shop inventory anymore.

Anno

Also, I'm happy that the game is decently playable in 3rd person. At least in the beginning levels. I go into first person to scout around really dense areas for loot of herbs, but other than that I haven't had any problems playing zoomed out a bit. The world and characters look too nice to not see them all.

CushVA

Need some for the "Assist People of Hjaalmarch" Quest. I've done 2 of the 3

Killed the head vamp
delivered the note the priestess in Whiterun

what's the 3rd?

pyros

Using console codes doesn't seem to block achievements, gave myself some gold and it unlocked one, I don't really care, but just fair warning to purist out there.

Derrick01

Banned
Uhh I'm not sure if this was a glitch or not but I was fighting another dragon and I guess I got the last arrow in as it was landing or something and it fell on me and killed me. It was kinda like the giant hit but instead of flying up I went flying along the ground :lol

I'm not even mad really, it was too funny.

Loxley

15 hours in I actually created a second character...dunno why, I think I just wanted to toy arround with magic a bit more. My "main" character is a Bosmer Archer, this guy is an Imperial Battlemage...I generally have some form of fire/frost spell in his offhand and an axe/mace in his mainhand while wearing heavy armor.

Interesting playstyle, definitely takes some getting used to after spending 15 hours with light armor and a bow as my primary form of combat. I'll probably go back to playing my Bosmer and come back to playing the new guy whenever I feel like changing things up.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Houston3000 said:
Anyone know where to get Detect Life spell? This thread moves so quickly, I can't find where to buy it.

I didn't buy it, but I did get it from completing a quest.

East of Ivarstead, Southwest of Mistwatch and West of Riften, there's a dungeon called Treva's Watch, just to the East of that Dungeon there's a camp of Mercenaries, talk to one of them who will give you a quest to infiltrate Treva's Watch, complete the quest and he'll give you the Detect Life Spell

So how are you guys using trainers/teachers/whatever they're called? Do you wait until you are a very high level.

Also, what do the trainer skills indicate. Is their a certain level you can't use novice ect.

Meier

Should I keep both the dragon scales and the bones? Can I sell one of them? So heavy but I don't want to risk putting em down til I get my house..

Piecake

Stop trying to entice me to buy this game!

I'm trying to be a smart consumer and wait for the eventual price drop. Or even better, when the price drop on the eventual GOTY edition, but you guys are making it so hard.

robotrock

Banned
I think this may be a bug. This is unrelated to the main quest.

Alright, so I have been spending the last couple of hours trying to get rid of this vampire disease. My friend tells me to go see this viking statue west of Winterhold. I see it, and then I activate the Shrine of Talos, and then it says "All diseases cured." I still have vampire powers though, and I am still noticed as a vampire in villages. So I think it may have bugged out? Any help?

edit: Oops, I didn't see Zhaanie's link above. I'll check that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom