• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

KorrZ

KorrZ said:
Anyone know a place to buy high level destruction spells yet? My destruction is around level 60 and I'm still using the same Lightning Bolt spell I've had since level 30 destruction.

Anyone?

Clevinger

I just saw perhaps the funniest AI glitch ever.

I met these two nobles and their bodyguard at the entrance to a city. They were leaving, on a journey to some wedding with a bunch of expensive gifts. I would have left them alone, but they called me "peasant" and then sassed me a bunch when they walked by me. So I stalked in the shadows a bit behind them, following them out into the cold, winter road.

While hidden, I fire off an arrow and hit the bodyguard, then engage him in close combat. The nobles stand around scared, waiting to see how it plays out. I kill the bodyguard, of course. The nobles are a little ways from me, so I take out my bow and hit the husband noble from afar. He goes down, dead. The woman bolts toward the city they just left, looking for help, and I chase her, shooting off arrows left and right, but I'm unable to hit her. She makes it to the city, and I sigh, expecting to have to reload my save.

I go over to the city and something's off. Everyone, guards and peasants alike, have their weapons out, but they're not paying any attention to me. I hear some stabbing noises, and then some guy says, "Hah! We took care of you!" or something like that. I go over and see the noble woman's corpse. The guards and peasants all murdered her. I loot her corpse, all those expensive wedding gifts, and no one pays me any mind.

mileS said:
Killed my first dragon, level 13 now. Quick question about the bones and scales. I don't have enough gold to buy a home yet and I don't have much room left to carry these around so I'm guessing I should sell them? Is it possible to give them to Lydia to hold on to if you don't own a home yet?

Sell them. You'll get a lot more later.

RedSwirl

So I just rented this and played a few hours. First Elder Scrolls game. Got to the first town, cleared a dungeon, did a fairly long side quest (the golden claw thing).

Great game, probably a shitload of content like Fallout, and I could definitely do it and enjoy it, but I don't feel like my life depends on owning it right now. At what point did you guys feel fully sucked into it? Usually for RPGs it's the first time I see the full world map and am like "motherfuck". Maybe I just haven't reached that revelation for this game yet.

I'm surprised how well they crafted this game's UI around a controller. Again, first TES game, so I'd like to know: how different is the combat compared to before? If it is different then it feels like they took pointers from Demon's Souls (but feels much less precise [but still works]). That said, is the UI the same on PC? How well does it handle on M&KB? I'd actually considering using a 360 pad for the PC version like I do The Witcher 2.

Tenck

Gonaria said:
Dont say that!

Be Strong. Resist temptation and be strong.

Here let me make this tougher for you.

My main games are platformers and shooters like TF2 and Quake.

I play some good amount of RPGs but not enough to call myself a die-hard fan of the genre.

I bought Skyrim for PS3 and have spent about 10 hours on it (I deleted two saves and I am 100% sure my playtime is over the 9.04 hours it shows me).

I am level 5, and don't even think I have even reached 10% of the main story. The world is alive, the enemies are tough, the side quests are effing awesome, and the Mage/Wizard college has made this game soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun for me, and it all lead to one big quest that I'm sure isn't even part of the main story. I may be wrong on that though, but still, EFFING awesome.

This comes from a guy who's attention can't be kept to a single game 99% of the time. This is also my very first Bethesda game, and I am in love with it.

My friend is also telling me about his experience with Skyrim and is loving it too. He has played 26 hours and barely level 16. I believe level 50 is the highest you can go.

Koomaster

mileS said:
Killed my first dragon, level 13 now. Quick question about the bones and scales. I don't have enough gold to buy a home yet and I don't have much room left to carry these around so I'm guessing I should sell them? Is it possible to give them to Lydia to hold on to if you don't own a home yet?
Yeah she will hold any item you give her (but she has an encumbrance limit like you do) and you can take it back whenever. She will also equip weapons/armor and such. But be warned with what happened to me. If she dies, you'll have to loot all your stuff back and could end up double your carrying capacity in goods.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, I've been approached by the Dark Brotherhood. I'm very conflicted, though. It appears there is a quest to destroy the organization if I turn down their 'offer' to join. I think I might try going that route.

cbox

mileS said:

I just store all my shit in the a chest inside the companions house, works for me.

QUestion, I keep missing dragons - they fly over my head then fly away, what gives?

Tenck

balddemon said:
dude, same. this game is great.killed my 2nd dragon. i'monly lvl 5 or 6. fucking amazing

Haha yeah. I have over 50 games on Steam, and the only one with more than 2 hours of playtime are Alice Madness Returns with 8 hours and TF2 with 323. I even stopped playing TF2 for this game, and gave up the Tribes Beta to finish this game :lol

I wasn't going to initially get it until Christmas, but I caved like most of the people here. haven't regretted my choice and I doubt I ever will.

Pollux

just got back from the bar and ready to roll my mage dark elf. taking a break from my warrior to do some magic blasting.

How efficient is it to use just magic with no melee weapon in this game?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Where to I obtain Troll Fat? I haven't encountered a single "troll" in Skyrim...

Dresden

So... anyone else think that giants are bugged, damage and health-wise? Watched one demolish a dragon while taking like 10% damage total.

Anteater

Any tips for a dual wielded uhh person? (don't know what "class" I want to be, but i just want to dual wield!), reason I'm asking is that I have a feeling that I might suffer from the lack of defense (using light armor), I thought about using archery but it seems that when they come after me I'd have to switch back to swords.

And I'm sure I might have trouble fighting something that has high damage if I'm to run straight up and poke it with 2 swords.

FStop7

Banned
Shepard.

Wrex.

Dovahkiin.

ConvenientBox said:
Damnit...

Trolls are hard, the albino ones are even harder - I ran my ass from them.

I met up with a frost troll and it took a companion swatting at it with a sword + me spamming fire and potions to finally kill it on the fourth attempt. They look -awesome- though.

Tenck

CrocMother said:
Anyone else having frame rate issues, especially in Whiterun? (PS3)

I did when I was running up the walkway to the College. After a while it was really smooth. Edit: I'm also playing on the PS3.

zmoney said:
just got back from the bar and ready to roll my mage dark elf. taking a break from my warrior to do some magic blasting.

I always get hit no matter what. Magika is a bit tough to restore in this game, so I went back to Archer with my Wooden elf and using magik on the really tough undead mobs. I went with fire in one hand, and fire staff in the other one.

If you don't mind getting hit a bit then you can definitely put some weaker opponents down fast.

Yoshichan said:
Where to I obtain Troll Fat? I haven't encountered a single "troll" in Skyrim...

I've found it in some dungeons. You also encounter a frost troll on the way up the
7000 steps to meet the Greybeards

Xevren

zmoney said:

It's a little rocky at first, but as time gets on you'll be godly.

Pollux

Xevren said:
It's a little rocky at first, but as time gets on you'll be godly.
Having focused on melee with my other character...any suggestions on the best way to train up my skills and learn spells, etc.?

Mindlog

KorrZ said:
After completing the quest line I was able to purchase them at Mage College. The Destruction Vendor did not have these spells when we initially met. I don't know the exact conditions in which her inventory upgrades.

The major lightning spell I bought after bolt is (not really a spoiler, but just in case)
Chain

mlarine said:
So my xbox is reading from the skyrim disc even though I have skyrim installed, how do i fix that
That's a quirk with one of the security updates. It should stop after 2-10 minutes.

RE Mages: The mage is very effective (so far.) The two-hand spell stun perk is incredibly helpful.

Locke562

Why is it bandit archers and archers in general can sometimes two shot me and take five plus spell hits to kill them when their melee battle axe buddies take one shot to kill and can barely scratch me?

Dresden

zmoney said:
Having focused on melee with my other character...any suggestions on the best way to train up my skills and learn spells, etc.?
Just grab the mage stone and burn everything down. Check every trader for spell tomes. Get dual casting in destruction as fast as you can.

cbox

FStop7 said:
I met up with a frost troll and it took a companion swatting at it with a sword + me spamming fire and potions to finally kill it on the fourth attempt. They look -awesome- though.

I wanna try again but I'm too afraid, I did snipe him right in the face when I first saw him though - thought it was pretty funny when he had an arrow right in the middle of his forehead. I hit him once with my sword them promptly booked it down a mountain.

Tenck

ConvenientBox said:
I wanna try again but I'm too afraid, I did snipe him right in the face when I first saw him though - thought it was pretty funny when he had an arrow right in the middle of his forehead. I hit him once with my sword them promptly booked it down a mountain.

Haha loved reading your post. Can't wait to meet one myself.

Xevren

zmoney said:

I started with a heavy focus on Conjuring and Destruction and it worked well with me. Pets are great and they tend to last quite awhile in most instances. Getting the perks for 1/2 magicka spell costs is vital, as is upgrading your gear with the best magicka regen rates.

Get used to refreshing your stoneskin enhancement from Alteration also, unless you want to get 1 shot often.

cackhyena

So I'm a sneaky sneak in this and I put out torches along the way in caves. Does this actually hide me better, or am I just Splinter Celling my way along for nothing?

Luthos

Ugh, (on ps3) Square stores stuff in chests. But when taking something out of a chest, Square takes EVERYTHING from the chest. And X takes one thing out of a chest.

And I keep accidentally taking everything in my chest, which is an instant over-encumbered of dozens of items.

bengraven

Oooooh, I finally caved and went to Riften after heavily exploring the Whiterun/Riverwood/Falkreath area.

God damn this is the kind of shit I was looking for. I love the canals and underpassages...feels like Vivec and that's a good thing. :D

I wish the house was a bit more impressive. (I'm assuming it's the "Sweethome" or whatever?

Locke562

cackhyena said:
So I'm a sneaky sneak in this and I put out torches along the way in caves. Does this actually hide me better, or am I just Splinter Celling my way along for nothing?

Casting a spell while sneaking lights up the area and alerts enemies to your presence so, yes, I'm pretty sure the stealth system takes light into consideration.

Koomaster

ConvenientBox said:
QUestion, I keep missing dragons - they fly over my head then fly away, what gives?
You've got to get their attention. They are pretty much flying around looking for a fight, but if they don't see/notice you they aren't going to engage you. Shoot something at it to prove you are a worthy threat.

One circled my area for a bit before homing in on a pack of wolves to take on. As soon as I shot some frost at it; it focused it's attention on me instead.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
perfectnight said:
How can you turn items when you're looking at them up close in the menu? PC here
Put the cursor on the item and scroll :)

MrBig

The house at Markath has an abundance of book space for those looking for that.
37CBW.jpg

House is 8000, the living room furnishings were 1000. Simple bandit killings were all it took to make it available from the steward.

So I sunk probably 20 hours or so into the game, split between two characters. First was a generic Nord melee type, second is a Khajiit theif/archer.

Loving the open-world questing, and even on my GTS250 the game looks really good (I haven't played much of anything new lately, so I can't compare it to Witcher 2 or whatever).

I've got a coupel of questions concerning theivery;

How do I sell stolen stuff? My theif character has raided every house in Whiterun of obvious valuables (coins, gems, magic weapons, etc), is there a theives guild or black market where I can unload some of these items? I also stole a bunch of random crap like "Fine Clothes" that would be nice to get rid of.

How do I see what bounty is on my head? I've already been jumped once by hired thugs, is there a way to pay it off? Not that I mind the hit-men so much, I got a nice sword and axe from them in addition to other crap to sell.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could set the point of impact for arrows by pressing page up and page down on your keyboard or by scrolling on the mouse wheel.

Starts off zeroed at 50m then goes in 50m increments all the way to say 300m.

Would be insanely useful for long distance shots, they could have also added a range finder perk or shout to compliment this ability. Perhaps I have been playing too much Red Orchestra 2 .

bengraven

Hey, does anyone want to get married?

http://www.gamefront.com/skyrim-marriage-guide/

Marriage Starter’s Guide

* To get married, you’ll first need the Amulet of Mara. While wearing this jewelry, you will unlock new dialogue options with certain NPCs.
* Buy the amulet from Maramal, sold for 200 coins. Maramal can be found in Riften, either in the Temple of Mara or in the Bee and Barb.
* The amulet can also be found in a chest at the beginning of Bleak Falls Barrow — a main quest.
* To get married, you must first speak with an NPC and talk to them about marriage. They might accept, or require a small quest to be completed. If your Speech skill is high, you can attempt to raise their disposition to you, or bribe them.
* If they do accept, speak to Maramal at the Temple of Mara to plan the wedding.
* A married NPC will move into whatever house you own and provide several benefits.
* Your spouse will cook one meal a day, which raises your health and stamina. Your spouse will also follow you as a companion if requested, defending you or attacking enemies on your orders. They will also carry some of your equipment for you.
Spouses will sometimes give you gifts.

And here's everyone you can marry:

Female

Aela the Huntress – Nord, found in a farm outside Whiterun.
Aeri – Nord, found in the Pale, inside her house.
Anwen – Redguard, found in Markarth Temple.
Avrusa Sarethi – Dark Elf, found in the Sarethi farm in the Rift.
Borgahk the Steel Heart – Orc, found in Mor Khazgur.
Brelyna Maryon – Dark Elf, found in the College of Winterhold.
Camilla Valerius – Imperial, found in Riverwood.
Dravynea the Stoneweaver – Dark Elf, found in Kyne’s Grove.
Ghorza gra-Bagol – Orc, found in Markarth.
Gilfre – Imperial, found in the Mixwater Mill in Eastmarch.
Grelka – Nord, found in Riften.
Iona – Nord, also found in Riften.
Jenassa – Dark Elf, found in the Drunken Huntsman, in Whiterun.
Jordis the Sword-Maiden – Nord, found in Proudspire Manor, in Solitude.
Lydia – Nord, found in Dragonsreach, in Whiterun.
Mjoll the Lioness – Nord, found in her house, in Riften.
Muiri – Breton, found in The Hag’s Cure, in Markarth.
Njada Stonearm – Nord, found in the Companion’s Faction House, in Whiterun.
Orla – Nord, found in the Temple of Dibella, in Markarth.
Ria – Imperial, found in the Companion’s Faction House, in Whiterun.
Senna – Imperial, found in the Temple of Dibella, in Markarth.
Shahvee – Argonian, found outside Windhelm.
Sylgja – Nord, found in Shor’s Stone.
Taarie – High Elf, found in Solitude.
Temba Wide-Arm – Nord, found in Ivarstead.
Uthgerd – Nord, found in her house, in Whiterun.
Viola Giordano – Imperial, found in Windhelm, in Eastmarch.
Ysolda – Nord, found in Whiterun. (that's my girl, don't touch)

Male

Ainethach – Breton, found in Karthwasten Hall, in Karthwasten.
Angrenor Once-Honored – Nord, found in Candlehearth Hall, in Windhelm.
Argis the Bulwark – Nord, found in Vlindrel Hall, in Markarth.
Athis – Dark Elf, found in the Jorrvaskr Living Quarters, in Whiterun.
Balimund – Nord, found in The Scorched Hammer, in Riften.
Belrand – Nord, found in The Winking Skeever, in Solitude.
Benor – Nord, found in Morthal.
Calder – Nord, found in Hjerim, in Windhelm.
Cosnach – Breton, found in The Warrens, in Markarth.
Derkeethus – Argonian, found in Darkwater Pass.
Erik the Slayer – Nord, found in Frostfruit Inn, in Rorikstead.
Farkas – Nord, found in the Brill and Vignar, in Whiterun.
Filnjar – Nord, found in his house, in Shor’s Stone.
Gat gro-Shargakh – Orc, found in Pavo’s House, in Kolskeggr Mine.
Ghorbash the Iron Hand – Orc, found in Burguk’s Longhouse, in Dushnikh Yal.
Marcurio – Imperial, found in Riften.
Moth gro-Bagol – Orc, found in Understone Keep, in Markarth.
Octieve San – Breton, found in Solitude.
Omluag – Breton, found in The Warrens, in Markarth.
Onmund – Nord, found in The Hall of Attainment, in the College of Winterhold.
Pavo Attius – Imperial, found in his house, in Kolskeggr Mine.
Perth – Breton, found in the Miner’s House, in Soljund’s Sinkhole.
Quintus Navale – Imperial, found in White Phial Services, in Windhelm.
Revyn Sadri – Dark Elf, found in Sadri’s Used Wares, in Windhelm.
Roggi Knot-Beard – Nord, found in Steamscorch Mine, in Kyne’s Grove.
Romlyn Dreth – Dark Elf, found in his house, in Riften.
Scouts-Many-Marshes – Argonian, found in the Argonian Assemblage, in Windhelm.
Sondas Drenim – Dark Elf, found in Goldenrock Mine, in Darkwater Crossing.
Sorex Vinius – Imperial, found in Solitude.
Stenvar – Nord, found in Windhelm.
Torvar – Nord, found in the Companion’s Faction House, in Whiterun.
Vilkas – Nord, also found in the Companion’s Faction House, in Whiterun.
Vorstag – Nord, found in Markarth.
Wilhelm – Nord, found in Ivarstead.

Loxley

CrocMother said:
Anyone else having frame rate issues, especially in Whiterun? (PS3)

From what I understand the PS3 has a few framerate issues in specific places, it's something that I think Bethesda is aware of and will fix in a title update (likely the same one where they fix the texture install issue on the 360 and the flickering shadows on the PC :p).

Switters

Ruminations on Dark Brotherhood missions:
The one where you snuff the bride? Well, I hit her with the staff of fury and watched her bodyguard fucking knife her down without blinking. My reward? The shade of Lucien LaChance now does my bidding. GOTMFF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom