• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Is this number on the stats page? I coulda swore I knew where it was when I started, can't find it.
Shows up on your save file.

Quick question- if a villager dies and you gain access to their house (I didn't kill him, I swear!), is that basically the same as having your own house? Can you keep your stuff in there and not worry about losing it?

Tenck

BeeDog said:
I'm not liking the fact that a mammoth, a giant or especially a fucking Wispmother are much, much harder than a goddamn dragon.

Yeah this has been bothering me a bit. I was hitting a dragon and landed like 10 arrows and took like 35% of his health. Seems odd to me, and can't even begin to imagine how much health that would take off a damn mammoth and giant.

Tenck said:
Yeah this has been bothering me a bit. I was hitting a dragon and landed like 10 arrows and took like 35% of his health. Seems odd to me, and can't even begin to imagine how much health that would take off a damn mammoth and giant.

35% damage from 10 arrows? Are you a god-like archer or what difficulty were you on?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Quick noobish question - does the skill level of your skill have any effect on damage, or does it only just allow you to select more perks?

ie, is there a damage difference between One-handed swords at level 20 and at level 30, assuming the same perks?

cackhyena

So if I buy a horse, is it RDR style where if he dies, I can call him back ( or the equivalent ) soon after? Or is death for horses permanent? Low on money, so it's a tough call here.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah... I suppose they needed to make Dragons not too difficult due to the requirement to kill lots of them and suck their souls, but they really are way too easy. I think it has to do with the fact that magic damage doesn't really do much in this game (at least in my experience on adept difficulty). There's nothing scary about a dragon when their only attack is magical breath that does very little damage. I just shout them down to the ground and pummel them until they die, which doesn't take very long.

Tenck

lowhighkang_LHK said:
35% damage from 10 arrows? Are you a god-like archer or what difficulty were you on?

Adept. Maybe not 35%, but damn near that.

I was telling myself "Wow, wtf is this!!"

I was outside of that Whiterun college too and level 5, so yeah...

Edit: My arrows also do an additional 40% damage if that matters.

cackhyena said:
So if I buy a horse, is it RDR style where if he dies, I can call him back ( or the equivalent ) soon after? Or is death for horses permanent? Low on money, so it's a tough call here.

You gotta buy a new one.

FStop7

Banned
Dear Bioware,

Skyrim is what Mass Effect was supposed to be.

Zefah said:
Yeah... I suppose they needed to make Dragons not too difficult due to the requirement to kill lots of them and suck their souls, but they really are way too easy. I think it has to do with the fact that magic damage doesn't really do much in this game (at least in my experience on adept difficulty). There's nothing scary about a dragon when their only attack is magical breath that does very little damage. I just shout them down to the ground and pummel them until they die, which doesn't take very long.

So far everything has been pretty easy, even on Expert. Crowd control is the only area that's gotten tricky. The only single mob that caused me trouble was a frost troll. I'm thinking about bumping up the difficulty to Master.

dimb

Tenck said:
The strength of dragons can vary pretty wildly. They throw some easy ones around the world for low level players. I actually killed one with two shots from my bow. Mammoths and giants tend to be more consistent in terms of power, but I have no issue taking them out without them even touching me from a distance with a bow. Dragons are still the most dangerous thing in the game I think.

ezekial45

Banned
This game is crack. I hated Oblivion, but I'm really into this game. The world is just so full of life, and rich with detail. It's remarkable. I'm impressed with how they managed to get this game out so quickly.

I seriously can't wait to play the next Fallout game on this engine. It's gonna be fucking insane.

Steam finally un-suspended my update download and I was able to start playing at 10:30pm. It's 2:43am now, and I wasn't gonna stop playing but the game crashed to desktop and I went "yeah okay, time to get some sleep". I wouldn't mind continuing till 8 but it would totally fuck up my sleep cycle for the upcoming week.

This game. It's good.

Angry Fork

Has anyone gotten up to a quest called 'Silenced Tongues' yet? At the end of it you
have to face an enemy called kvenel, and I can't beat him at all. He's this blue ghost thing and he has a couple buddies with him who I can take out fairly easily but he's tough.
Any tips?

Riposte

FStop7 said:
Dear Bioware,

Comments like these are utterly dumb and petty. They are many fundamental differences between the series, going as deep as being in different genres.

I still don't know what difficulty setting does. I am playing on Master because I assume that will be the most fun. (If just makes it take longer to put down nonthreatening monsters then I'll drop it a little)

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Random dragon attack as I was leaving Whiterun with Lydia. Took the dragon down then realised Lydia wouldn't move. Tried telling her to go home but that didn't work, hoped she would appear behind me when I entered the city but no joy. Sold some stuff to Arcadia, then crashed to desktop while walking around her store.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK, level 16 archer with an Elven Bow and arrows that are at least 10 damage (switch on and off based on quantity). I try and put Damage Health on for most shots (when I have the potions), do everything I can to sneak shot to start, and give myself ample distance to zoom-slow and get 3-4 shots before the enemy reaches me.

Anything but vanilla bandits wreck my shit. They take SO many hits to kill, do ape shit damage, and force me to drink potions. I'm on master difficulty, so I expect it to be difficult, but it's at the point where when I see two bandits that aren't vanilla (not Chief, but the one below that), I get all scurred.

For you archery players, what are you doing to not get shat on? How do you approach these encounters so you aren't wrecked like WOAH. I also discovered that sabrecats pounce ohko me usually (so I probably shouldn't BE near that area yet), witches/necromancers seem to love eating arrows and my soul, and (as is expected) dragons fire/frost breath are my bane.

Protips? I'd like to keep it on master, so more looking for ideas on if I should be looking for certain gear, trying to power enchanting (but I don't have many good enchants yet), alchemy tips to make my life easier, etc.

Angry Fork

Riposte said:
Comments like these are utterly dumb and petty. They are many fundamental differences between the series, going as deep as being in different genres.
RPG fans don't want ME to be a TPS genre which is the point people make when they say a comment like that.

-PXG-

Am I the only one who thinks you should be able to have sex with Lydia.

Also, is it me, or did they crank up the difficulty in this game. I love how it's actually challenging and makes you think about how to approach combat. Oh and Labrynthia..can suck a dick. Just gets dumber and dumber the further you go

FireCloud

Sorry if this had been asked, I did search but got no hits ... but I completed the bleak falls barrow quest and got the in game rewards but the associated trophy wasn't given. Am I missing something? The world map shows bleak falls barrow as cleared. Is there something else that I need to do? Have others run into this issue?

Aselith

FStop7 said:
Dear Bioware,

So far everything has been pretty easy, even on Expert. Crowd control is the only area that's gotten tricky. The only single mob that caused me trouble was a frost troll. I'm thinking about bumping up the difficulty to Master.

Surely, you meant Dragon Age 2?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Played "In My Time of Need"
Sold that bitch out! I don't even care if she was lying or not, she asked me to go fight like 7 dudes and one of them is some kind of blade god. Bitch, you tryin to get me killed?!

Also bought the house. Now I can finally settle down and start taking my time. I hated having all this stuff I wanted to keep and nowhere to put it.

balddemon

Banned
Hawkian said:
You! How are you taking screenshots?

F12 (if using steam/pc)

Dice said:
Sold that bitch out! I don't even care if she was lying or not, she asked me to go fight like 7 dudes and one of them is some kind of blade god. Bitch, you tryin to get me killed?!

Also bought the house. Now I can finally settle down and start taking my time. I hated having all this stuff I wanted to keep and nowhere to put it.

but man, shes so hot

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I fought a dragon that lost it's skin and became a bone dragon. I somehow got the soul when it lost it's skin, but then it became invincible to my attacks. I got what I wanted from it, so I just ran away.

I killed an invisible dragon earlier. It turned out the textures didn't load. Best glitch ever.

Riposte

Angry Fork said:
RPG fans don't want ME to be a TPS genre which is the point people make when they say a comment like that.

They want it to be a neutered action game with MMORPG-esque feedback on attacks and actions? Non-existent tactical party manipulation? Something that isn't much at all like Baldur's Gate or Temple of Elemental Evil at all due to a complete lack of wargame inherent mechanics from Dungeon and Dragons? And Mass Effect, instead of being a TPS with stronger team-based play, should be like this... why? Why would you want to change everything that game is (essentially) instead of just accepting that it is different and then approve or disapprove of it?

These shitty comparisons go a long way when dumbing down the conversation.

And "RPG fans" is a hell of a big category, let me tell you that. Practically useless considering there are people who would just as quickly scoff at Skyrim as they would Mass Effect 1 or 2. And then you have everything else people call RPGs, arbitrarily.

Holy crap, I have already played 19 hours and have only done 1 story mission. This is easily game of the year, no game has occupied me like this since Oblivion. The amount of content in this is mind blowing and I know I have barely even scratched the surface. Maybe after I finish another guild ill do a couple story missions to unleash the dragons.

Lebron

Scullibundo said:
So am I the only one so far to have a random dragon fight end with the dragon flying away just before delivering the final blows?
Nah, two of those bitch asses have done that to me. Flying off with their tails between their legs.

I wish I had a shout to ground those mofos.

dimb

Lebron said:
Nah, two of those bitch asses have done that to me. Flying off with their tails between their legs.

I wish I had a shout to ground those mofos.
Storm Shout is pretty godly for this reason.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Daedric side-quest spoilers -
The daedric quest where you have to retrace your steps after getting drunk/fucked up was pretty funny
KuGsj.gif

Wanace

Wow, the fully upgraded Markarth house is awesome. Dagger display cases, wall mount for weapons, a mannequin to display armor, enchanting and alchemy tables, so many rooms with so much stuff all over. Will be fun to decorate this one.

mxgt

Banned
Dice said:

Did the same thing. Plus it was the right thing to do.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Riposte said:
Doesn't every female in the game have the same tits, ass, and body shape? That has been the case as far as I can tell.
This is Bethesda. At least they look like women this time.

Yo Gotti said:
I didn't buy it, but I did get it from completing a quest.

East of Ivarstead, Southwest of Mistwatch and West of Riften, there's a dungeon called Treva's Watch, just to the East of that Dungeon there's a camp of Mercenaries, talk to one of them who will give you a quest to infiltrate Treva's Watch, complete the quest and he'll give you the Detect Life Spell
Thanks so much for replying... not having Detect Life's been killing me :D. First thing I do when I start up the game next time!

Blizzard

Banned
I think this is my first Bethesda game besides a little Fallout 3, and the environment seems awesome so far. I love the music!

I didn't find anyone on my Steam friends list who knew this for sure, so does anyone have a definitive answer to this: If I buy all of an item (72 arrows) from someone (lady outside a blacksmith shop, not sure if she's an actual shopkeeper), will she restock automatically later? I am considering being an archer but I want to know if I can come back and buy more arrows from the same person later.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hawkian said:
You! How are you taking screenshots?

Just with FRAPS. I have the screenshot button bound to the minus key on the numberpad.

FRAPS seems to stop working if I ever alt+tab out of the game, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom