• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
ezekial45 said:
This game is crack. I hated Oblivion, but I'm really into this game. The world is just so full of life, and rich with detail. It's remarkable. I'm impressed with how they managed to get this game out so quickly.

I seriously can't wait to play the next Fallout game on this engine. It's gonna be fucking insane.

I'm curious, what is it about Skyrim that sets it apart from Oblivion? What exactly does it do better? I wasn't all that fond of Oblivion, which is why I've staid my wallet at this point so far. God damn this game looks so good, but I'm afraid to jump the gun based on my experience with Oblivion. I'm definately buying this but it's a question of how soon.

Mega Man

I'm currently completing a quest for the college of magic in which I'm going through a dwarven dungeon with what seems to be mechanical spiders and mechanical soldiers that transform from a sphere. I'm having some trouble inflicting substantial damage to them (I'm only level 8). Does anyone have any suggestions to make them more beatable?

mr_toa

TheExodu5 said:
32 hours. How the hell have I played 32 hours. ;_;

Exactly - Last time I sunk that many hours into a game this quickly was Oblivion back when I get an X360 the first time around, and before that Morrowind.

Wallach

Alright folks, it's story time again. This last session of wanderlust covered like three hours. I originally wanted to try and go towards Winterhold, and wound up going in a big loop right back to Whiterun. Like before I'm going to spoiler-tag this whole story as I don't want to ruin anything unintentionally, and I have no idea if these locations are relevant to any major plot points. I don't suspect they are, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I left off on the cliff where I fought my first random dragon who tag teamed with that lich to try and stop me from getting my new shout. Still planning to go up to Winterhold, I decided to curve around and follow the high ridge so I could get a good view of what was around before moving out.

As I was rounding the southwestern side, I looked down over a pretty sharp drop and see the ruins of an old fort nestled against the mountain below me. I stopped for a moment and almost decided against going down that way (since the route back looked pretty inconvenient) until I saw bursts of ice shooting out from behind some of the fort rubble towards something I couldn't see. Enough to get my interest so I hunched down and took the safest angle I could down the cliff wall.

By the time I'd traversed the cliff, though, there didn't seem to be any commotion. It wasn't until I was trying to get up over the wall through a section that was toppled over that two mages both robed in black got the jump on me. Annoyingly one of them was a Dunmer so I was doing more slicing with my bound sword than I'd care for as my Atronach is still fire, but they don't prove to be too much trouble. Seeing a lower entrance off to the side and deciding busting down the front door is not really my style, I opted for the entrance into the fort's dungeons.

Turns out the black robe motif wasn't just for show. The whole place was infested with necromancers, and the decor was appropriately grim. Heading in through the dungeon only made me terribly anxious, as there were tables littered with corpses of vampires and master vampires; they seemed to be cutting parts out of and stuffing them into baskets. Wasn't Martha Stewart approved, but luckily there weren't any of those fuckers still walking around in there. I smashed up their stuff pretty good, including a Talos shrine they were defiling with a summoning circle and some kind of prayer room they'd set up lined with sarcophagi. Most interestingly, when I cleared my way to the room connected to the front door, I ran into a mage pounding away on a blacksmith's anvil. He didn't seem to be working on anything interesting at the time, but on his shelf was a very strange gem that started a quest when I picked it up. Neat, but time to get the hell out.

Going out the front door, I remembered that I couldn't go back the way I came, so instead I found a path off leading west that came out to a road. Just up ahead, going the opposite way I'd originally meant to go, was a pretty nasty looking dude in fur armor trudging down the way. Stopping him just to see what he was doing out here, he told me that he was afflicted by a terrible disease and that the blessings of a particular shrine were helping him fend it off as he made his way home to High Rock. Something about their shepherd leading people astray, and that I should probably go check it out sometime. He marked a location on my map that was a ludicrous distance from where we were, so I bid his sickly ass farewell.

Totally forgetting my original goal, I was now moving toward an icon that had popped up on my compass. Clearly some kind of dungeon entrance, so I turned off and followed a ridge again until I was standing directly over it. Of course, looking across I realized I was now much closer to Whiterun than I was before, and could clearly see it over the plains. I figured I might as well jump down and go explore what I'd found, then maybe head back to my home in Whiterun to offload some of what I was carrying. Enter Shivermist Cave.

The inside of this cave is immediately striking. It looks nothing like anything I've come across yet; the entire cave glows bright blue and green, illuminating the thick fog that fills the entire space. I snatched up some glowing mushrooms from the wall and quickly came to a small water-filled room, with a lone spider guarding a thin walkway. Easily dispatched, which made me think I was more than powerful enough to press on without fear. Crossing the bridge and moving ahead, though, the hallway opened up into a large room with crazy insect bits sticking right out of the ground. Two levels high, I spot something on the upper ledge... but I have no idea what it is. It looks like Gollum on skooma, and it has a bow. I throw a Fire Atronach up there and things seem to be going swimmingly - if a little slow - and just before it dies it turns and lands a solid swipe across my face for about 75% of my health. That's not bad. It's a lot better than the 100% some things have dealt me up to now. Looting him, I notice that he's actually a Falmer - frost elves native to Skyrim.

Not really what I was expecting. There was a small hut clearly built out of chitinous shell; the door looked like two interlocked hands, except the fingers were made out of giant insect legs, and the door folded open in a way that made the whole structure seem pretty disgusting. Cutting down another Falmer as I moved deeper into this place, I quickly found an entrance into yet another level called Shivermist Grotto. Inside are a few more Falmer, as well as what seems to be a pen holding the source of said chitin and insect bits - giant centipede looking things that spit poison from a distance. The caves that connect these rooms are tight and narrow, though, and it's easy enough to keep safe just summoning meatshields loyal Atronach friends between myself and them.

Approaching what I hoped was the tail end of this place, the luminescent walls and fog gave way in the final corridor to more typical rock and torchlight. Moving around the final bend, I came to the prize: excavated from the mountain was an ancient entrance with two enormous bronze doors more than twice my height. They were turned at an awkward angle that made it obvious this was not where they were originally fashioned, and pushing them open confirmed it. They swung out into a room maybe fifty feet tall and twice as long; dark except for a bonfire lit somewhere against the wall, but you could hear the machinery everywhere. I wanted to appreciate the amazing Dwemer architecture more, but there was one last miserable little shit elf left, and apparently he'd found a way to activate the enormous Dwemer golem. Not wanting to fight them in such a huge open space, I backed into the cave I'd just come from, but this Falmer was some kind of mage and was a hell of a lot tougher than the others. He actually managed to push me back maybe halfway through the grotto; the caves made it hard for him to get to me, but it also made it hard for me to get past my Atronach to him, and he knew enough Restoration spells to make shit difficult. Eventually we wound up in the room with the centipede pens, and I shouted him over the ledge, jumped down and finished him off with a bound sword to the brain. Fortunately, the Dwemer golem proved much easier as he wasn't nearly as nimble as the Falmer and seemed to need to pause and vent steam every now and then (maybe due to constant fire damage, I'm not sure).

The discovery is awesome and I was just glad to have finally found another Dwemer ruin (and some nice Dwemer swag, chest and helm armor), but once I've had my fill of checking out the pumping machinery built into the walls, I climbed the path out of the room, which dropped me back in Shivermist Cave. Felt pretty satisfied at this point, so I jumped out into Skyrim where there's just enough nighttime left to see some aurora lights.

In what I guess was appropriately inconvenient, my looking up at the lights immediately drew my attention to the dragon bearing down on my position. This battle went kind of like my last dragon fight, except that this dragon is a total nutjob. It flew maybe two hundred yards away just so it could torch a saber cat that was clearly minding it's own fucking business, and I'm pretty sure at one point it stopped so that it could breathe fire on the waterfall nearby. Maybe it hated fish, I don't know.

Either way, me and Mrs. Hotstuff kick his ass, I ate his soul like Shang Tsung and I wind up overencumbered yet again desperately trying to haul my loot back to the place I came from. The end.

Animator

GillianSeed79 said:
I'm curious, what is it about Skyrim that sets it apart from Oblivion? What exactly does it do better? I wasn't all that fond of Oblivion, which is why I've staid my wallet at this point so far. God damn this game looks so good, but I'm afraid to jump the gun based on my experience with Oblivion. I'm definately buying this but it's a question of how soon.

It does everything better than Oblivion. I am no fan of other bethesda games but Skyrim is my GOTY.

Aselith

Well, I can't play my game anymore because if I go outside a city it crashes while loading. I can walk around in the city or warp to another city but as soon as I try to go outside it crashes.

A big thanks to incompetent monkey's assholes at Bethesda for this fantastic experience in gaming.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Here's where Lydia got stuck:

NiBCTl.jpgp

Original size

She''ll walk towards the wall behind her if I jump over it but still won't get more than halfway down the ramp when I walk back round. Luckily I have a manual save about 5 minutes before it happened.

GillianSeed79 said:

It's much more "game-y".

Dungeons and caves have actual game design.
Stats are more streamlined.
Quests are tighter, more engaging.

It perfectly taps the "Just one more quest" feeling. And on your way to each quest, you'll get sidetracked at least three times by amazing and interesting things in the world.

It does all this with style and grace.

GillianSeed79 said:

I think its mainly that every place you discover genuinely feels different this time, rather than a copy/paste job of another dungeon you found somewhere else. And the scope is magnificent.

Ridiculous amount of fun. IMA GO BACK NOW.

JackEtc

Oh my God I LOVE this game. I really enjoyed Fallout 3, and never really got into NV, and couldn't get myself to play Oblivion this summer, because it felt so dated.

But this game is SOOO AWESOME. Having a ton of fun so far.

Raxus

OK, this was pretty funny
In the guilds there are a handful of trainers. So I have been leveling my pick pocketing up so that I get a bonus when stealing gold and while someone is sleeping.

1. Go in to train at night 5 times.
2. Rob the trainer while he sleeps and get my cash back.
3. Level up.
4. Begin the robbing and training all over again.
5. Great success!

Sorc3r3r

There is a thing that may sound pretty stupid, but for my Skyrim experience is foundamental, the 3rd person view.

One of the things that I always hated and despised in Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout and that in the end have kept me away from enjoying those games were the crappy to awful 3rd person views, the crappy animations, the crappy models, the crappy interactions.

Finally i can play in 3rd person,finally Skyrim provides a good 3rd person view, and this is enough for me, adds so much in immedesimation for me in the wonderful world Bethesda has crafted.
(Yeah i do not like at all the 1st person view in a game like this, it's different, but think at AC in 1st person and this is like how feel playing Skyrim in 1st person)

So, double thank you Bethesda ^^, hope you guys keep going in this way and get better and better!

Recon

Banned
Aselith said:
Well, I can't play my game anymore because if I go outside a city it crashes while loading. I can walk around in the city or warp to another city but as soon as I try to go outside it crashes.

A big thanks to incompetent monkey's assholes at Bethesda for this fantastic experience in gaming.

This happened to me, but only at the beginning. I restarted my PC and it was fine after that.

balddemon

Banned
hey sorry for the late reply, i just got out of the shower.

yeah the females all do have the same body - which is why i like that red chick a lot. she's exotic and different than all the white, blonde haired chicas running around. since i can't marry her, i'm gonna go for the other redguard or lydia.

GillianSeed79 said:

Character progression doesn't blow dicks

Had to mod the shit out of that in Oblivion. Too bad I don't have a gaming PC

Takuan

Blizzard said:
I think this is my first Bethesda game besides a little Fallout 3, and the environment seems awesome so far. I love the music!

I didn't find anyone on my Steam friends list who knew this for sure, so does anyone have a definitive answer to this: If I buy all of an item (72 arrows) from someone (lady outside a blacksmith shop, not sure if she's an actual shopkeeper), will she restock automatically later? I am considering being an archer but I want to know if I can come back and buy more arrows from the same person later.
I imagine she will restock, but as a primary Archer, I have had to buy 0 arrows from the store. I have a healthy supply of Iron, Nordic, and Steel arrows just from dungeoning. I dungeon the shit out of this game.

GillianSeed79 said:
I am also another person who didn't like Oblivion much, I didn't hate it but I never felt immersed in it or felt like I should explore the world. With Skyrim the world feels rich and full of life, the music is on a whole other level and that really adds more to the immersion. So far for me that's whats better, I cant say if the story is better because I still haven't done one main story quest in the 23 hours I have logged, but the side quests are amazing.

Blizzard

Banned
Takuan said:
I imagine she will restock, but as a primary Archer, I have had to buy 0 arrows from the store. I have a healthy supply of Iron, Nordic, and Steel arrows just from dungeoning. I dungeon the shit out of this game.
Well even if no one knows for sure, it sounds like if I make archery one of my primary focuses I will be able to find enough arrows, thanks. :) (at least until all the dungeons in the game are gone, lol)

ezekial45

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
In my opinion, the world itself is such more interesting than the one in Oblivion. That game came off as very generic, and dull; whereas this game has some serious flavor to the world. Not to mention it's pretty diverse as well.

I'm actually not much of a fan of the medieval fantasy setting, but I'm obviously making an exception with this game. Though i'd defintintly wait a bit till they iron things out with the tech issues (this game is pretty light on the bugs, compared to the other games).

balddemon

Banned
cackhyena said:
If someone has a good Spriggan attack plan, I'd love to hear it. Getting torn up.

i'm not actually sure if this works, but an npc in
winterrun
told me to go talk to someone who makes weapons to fight spriggans. sorry thats all i can remember, its getting late/early and the games already closed. but this might point you in the right direction.

ezekial45 said:
I'm actually not much of a fan of the medieval fantasy setting, but I'm obviously making an exception with this game. Though i'd defintintly wait a bit till they iron things out with the tech issues (this game is pretty light on the bugs, compared to the other games).

i know. 12 hours played and not one freeze or bug. what the fuck.

DB quest:
Where do you hide the guy's body that you kill in the inn?

stupei

GillianSeed79 said:

It's a better game in pretty much every way imaginable. The world actually feels alive, with a huge amount of unique locations that each feel like their own place. The dungeons are fun to explore and don't all feel the same. Some are actually shockingly different. The combat is similar but improved, just a better feel overall. The third person camera is actually almost usable for the first time in a Bethesda engine game. (Still not great, but not laughable now so it's sometimes fun to just run around Skyrim in third person so I can look at my Nord.) The writing still isn't quite as good as Obsidian but is still miles above both Oblivion and Fallout 3, in my opinion. And that whole "same four voice actors" sense you sometimes get from games this large isn't as big of a deal here because the accent of the Nords is so thick you get the impression that all of them are sort of meant to sound the same anyway.

As a point of reference: I hated Oblivion and gave up on it rather quickly, clicked with Fallout 3 after several hours and New Vegas was my GOTY.

Blizzard said:
Well even if no one knows for sure, it sounds like if I make archery one of my primary focuses I will be able to find enough arrows, thanks. :) (at least until all the dungeons in the game are gone, lol)

Pretty sure you can also loot arrows back from the corpses of the people you killed with those arrows.

cackhyena

balddemon said:
i'm not actually sure if this works, but an npc in
winterrun
told me to go talk to someone who makes weapons to fight spriggans. sorry thats all i can remember, its getting late/early and the games already closed. but this might point you in the right direction.
It's better than what I was trying. Thanks.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
are there any stealth companions who know how to stay put until I ask them?

also how do I buy a house in this city where I slayed my first dragon?

Lakitu

st5fu
bengraven said:
Holy shit.

HOLY SHIT. Mind blown.

I had no idea about the "dragon's perch" in Dragonreach. I went upstairs past the Jarl and into the dining room, then through doors there and holy fuck this is a huge room omg it's open to the sky and this is the best part of the game so far.

Jarl's bodyguard and butler were eating at the table on the faaaaaar end of the "room", overlooking the rest of the world and now I know where the butler goes when he's not next ot the Jarl.

Yeah, that blew my mind. The balcony, the view, the dining table. Never expected that.

So plan for today is get more goddamn gold and buy my house at Whiterun. Then I'll need extra gold to furnish. I wish I could take donations in the game so I could buy it quicker, I hate having to store my crap at the Companions HQ. Speaking of which, I'll do the first quest for them today and then go do some exploring. I reckon I'm going to use Archery for at least one of the dungeons I'll be going to.

I also sent Lydia packing, does she go back to the Jarl or something? I need to find her. We were good together, plus she can carry loot.

I'm going to also do some alchemy and smithing today. Long overdue.

Just want my goddamn house.

Steaks

Playing this game really makes me want to design dungeons for it. Not really impressed with the layouts/use of attention/pace and the loot is just... eh.

It's really fun but man, the weak points feel really weak in comparison.

Lucario

Raxus said:
OK, this was pretty funny
In the guilds there are a handful of trainers. So I have been leveling my pick pocketing up so that I get a bonus when stealing gold and while someone is sleeping.

1. Go in to train at night 5 times.
2. Rob the trainer while he sleeps and get my cash back.
3. Level up.
4. Begin the robbing and training all over again.
5. Great success!
Posted that two pages ago :p It's amazing, isn't it? So, so, so much free training! I did it with alteration and accidentally made my thief/mage into a naked tank.

.... should probably explain that.

A skill higher up in the alteration tree gives you +100 armor. Two perks alter it; one makes it last around two minutes instead of one, and the other gives it +300% effectiveness, but only if you have no armor on.

Khajit claws, as almost nobody knows because it doesn't say it anywhere but the active effects screen, do 15 damage by default; I'm 12+ hours into the game and haven't found a better weapon than my bare hands thanks to this awesome perk, since I'm basically dual wielding weightless weapons twice as powerful as the strongest dagger available to me.

I have no weapons equipped and I am completely nude, but I have 400 armor and an effective 30 power combined in my hands. I can sneak incredibly well since I'm naked, and nobody notices when I claw-stab 'em from behind for 6x damage.

AND THEN IF THEY'RE ALIVE THEY ATTACK ME, AND IT DOES ALMOST NOTHING.

Almost every tree of magic is insanely OP in this game. I can't decide what my second tree should be at this point, I'm leaning towards illusion or healing just so I can be the greatest naked tank of all time.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Steaks said:
Playing this game really makes me want to design dungeons for it. Not really impressed with the layouts/use of attention/pace and the loot is just... eh.

I'm of quite opposite opinion. I played Fallout 3 and dungeons sucked there. Here it's quite competent and there are some interesting battle areas.

Art is amazing.

Steaks

subversus said:
I'm of quite opposite opinion. I played Fallout 3 and dungeons sucked there. Here it's quite competent and there are some interesting battle areas.

Art is amazing.
I'm drawing a comparison to most well executed dungeons in general. There's a lot to be improved upon with regards to them.

putarorex

Steaks said:

I am digging the dungeons but the loot can be annoying. I will waste 5 lockpicks to open a difficult door, another 5 disarming a trap, and then open the chest to get 2 garnets and 10 gold...

Danny-Boy

JackEtc said:
Oh my God I LOVE this game. I really enjoyed Fallout 3, and never really got into NV, and couldn't get myself to play Oblivion this summer, because it felt so dated.

But this game is SOOO AWESOME. Having a ton of fun so far.

Thanks! This is the post I was looking for. I also loved Fallout 3, finished NV but was meh, and always made it out of the dungeon in Oblivion and lost interest.

Sounds like I will enjoy this as much as F3.

Steaks

putarorex said:
I am digging the dungeons but the loot can be annoying. I will waste 5 lockpicks to open a difficult door, another 5 disarming a trap, and then open the chest to get 2 garnets and 10 gold...
The use of room quality, ascent/descent for pacing, interesting objects etc feel very thrown about without any regards to the player. The way stuff is laid out screams "dangerous encounter", then I fight a mechanical spider (as opposed to two as the very first encounter in the dungeon) and then I get a key...

The loot for the end of dungeons feels mildly rewarding, but I don't really feel that great for clearing a dungeon at all. There's nothing that says "AWESOME!" when I did all of that work, like, ever. Out of maybe 5 dungeons, I've gotten something that I genuinely found useful that wasn't a potion. Killing monsters generally feels pretty epic, but the last dungeon I was in basically felt like I was repeating the same thing over and over. The monsters/terrain weren't really laid out in an interesting way except for one point.

In general there's no regards to pace at all. There are many times where I feel like I'm at the end of a dungeon or about to fight something serious, and it doesn't happen. Tough encounters often feel like they're in weird rooms (one had the pleasure of telling me it was a new sub room with a loading screen though).

Tesseract

Banned
Steaks said:

mind sharing your portfolio?

Lucario

balddemon said:
wait so will they train you at night?
Wake anyone up and they'll go through the normal conversation tree, maybe complaining that you woke them up before you start talking. It's admittedly kind of dumb, but whatever, too fun for me to care about logic.

I did it with a trainer who took me on a quest, but it works equally well at night. Just keep pickpocketing the gold you spent to train with them, repeat until maxed.

I really need to buy a house at this point though, I'm carrying ~100 weight worth of books.

Steaks

Tesseract said:
mind sharing your portfolio?
I've only done mechanics design before. When the editor rolls around, I'll be glad to show something :)

Edit: I didn't mean to come across as rude or anything, by the way. I'm just genuinely interested in doing some dungeon stuff when the editor comes out.

casabolg

Banned
Requesting again - Can I play the lute?
I found it strange that the bard college only gave me access to fetch quests and flavor text books.

Holy balls, after
you find out what Alduin is up to in the first Blades quest
, dragons start popping up left and right.

I mean, I sort of figured out that
they would follow the pattern set up in Oblivion
, but the pacing is much better.

Matchew

This game is sooooo good. Not sure if there has been a game world that has drawn me into it like this has. Just climbing a mountain and the blizzard and music start is just awesome. Also the 3rd person view is actually decent in this game, been using it a lot.

People say this game is ugly? This has to be one of the best looking games I have played. Textures are sometimes bad but man everything else is great looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom