• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Veidt said:
Hi Gaf,
Got this recently. Still haven't played. My first elder scrolls. What am I in for?

1176955786782cj2.jpg

NO LIE

Aurora

Calling all Stealth/Thief/Rogue players! How do these builds compare to Oblivion? Have the sneaking mechanics changed much? What sort of traits have you found success with?

Thanks.

robin2

I have a question.

Since Unarmored skill isn't there anymore, it means that there is no mean to improve you armor while wearing only robes/clothes (other than equipping magical protective robes, and cast spells on you, obviously)?

Edit:

Can you enchant only weapons/armors, or clothes/jewels too?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol I've got my mammoth tusk today by fast-travelling to their location and then watching the beast flying up into the sky with no apparent reason and then falling onto the ground right in front of me.

Thanks for the gift.

bunbun777

Something to consider for those having any reservations with a companion- they will equip whatever the best stats of anything you give them to carry. And it doesn't seem like Lydia is using up any of the enchantment charges. Also if you don't want her to die use Healing Hands.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Aurora said:
Calling all Stealth/Thief/Rogue players! How do these builds compare to Oblivion? Have the sneaking mechanics changed much? What sort of traits have you found success with?

Thanks.
Stealth is massively improved in Skyrim, and a much more viable build (even if it can have a bit of a rough start). Bows are likely the most effective and deadly weapon in the game given the number of ranged characters you have to fight, and the methodical pace of sneaking makes it easier to avoid traps and pick up everything in the improved dungeons. Arrows are now abundant, meaning you never have to worry about going back to town to buy more arrows.

I went with an Archery/Stealth/Conjurer style build. The conjuring stuff can be great in the longer and unavoidable fights, because it takes heat off of me so I can stick back and keep using my bow as much as possible. Conjuring also allows the use of spectral weapons, and you can use those to yield bonus damage on top of your regular bow damage modifiers. Stealth is obscenely good in this game. There are a number of situations where you can stay on the fringe of where you might be detected, essentially taking out an entire room one by one before they're ever able to find or see you. They take a little more to get off the ground, but late game stealth archers are probably the most deadly thing in the game.

Awesome. I'm travelling along in the middle of the snowy landscape and some bloody wolves give me rockjoint. I then come across this random hall and there happens to be a monk of Stendarr there who cures me of all diseases. I guess Stendarr was looking out for me.

Enco

Drazgul said:
Check the npc's ref id (open command console and click on it, should have something like 000e3ab8, remember it - be sure you click on the NPC, not some ambient light source or whatever, get real close). Then go where you want them, type 'prid [refid here]' then 'moveto player'.
Sweet thanks.

One disturbing thought is that you can trap human souls (I think) into gems. You can then proceed to throw the gems down a waterfall so the human is trapped for eternity. What a nightmare haha

Great game.

Bethesda are so sloppy though: terrible UI, not much variety in voice actors, animations are pretty bad in some places, a lot of bugs.

I wish they'd put some more time into those areas and really polish them. It would turn this amazing game into an incredible one.

It appears that arrows do 0 damage after a certain distance.

Try the following, go as far as you can and shoot an arrow at a big target like a mammoth and watch it not do any damage.

Can't wait for the eventual mod that will fix this.

This has been a really fun thread to read through. I guess because most of the response to the game has been pretty positive. And of course, because everyone's got a story to tell.

Fantastic game.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Its really the small things that make this game so great.

For instance I was just running down a path exploring the country side and a giant fireball comes from off screen and just destroys this cute little rabbit off the side of my path. I think "cool must be some mages out on the hunt, I'll just hop off my horse and say hello." So I keep walking in the direction that the fireball came from only to discover a not so nice hunched over, wart ridden witch who greeted me with the same fireballs that destroyed my fuzzy little friend. I've never seen a witch in this game before so that first encounter really stuck out to me.

Or how I came across a group of war proud companions just fighting a single giant in the middle of a farm. Since I'm playing a character that tries not to choose sides, I just sat back and watched the battle occur, then went up to talk to the group after they killed the giant, and the proceeded to try and guilt me for not helping them out.

Or how (location spoilers?)
I found some hot springs that had a bunch people in their underwear just sitting in the hot springs chilling out. I was thinking that was pretty cool that even the people in this world take some time off to have fun, when all of a sudden a dragons comes flying overhead. This of course lead to all the half naked people to jump right up and run away screaming.
It was a pretty unique site to see. I guess it really is to much to ask for a little relaxation in the world of skyrim.

They might not be the most epic of stories, but they feel so much more organic and real to me because I feel these stories are my own. You could never experience this stuff in a more linear game.

Salazar

Was trolling some hunters with magelight, looking down on them from the hill. They were just getting ready to come up and fight me when a frost troll thundered down the hill from behind me, coming through at an angle, and started wiping them out.

Still a bit on the weak side for a bunch of dungeons. Basically just walking the earth setting people on fire at the moment.

DoctorZ

did anyone else notice
When you return the dragonstone to Farengar, Delphine's character model leaning over the table will shrink when she comes off the table and stands normally, then the model grows again when she leans over the table again. Pretty sneaky Bethesda...

bj00rn_

Banned
I was just launched into space by one of the giants.. One blow and I was transformed into a satellite..

Anyway, I wish I hadn't played Dark Souls before playing this game.. Different games, yes, but the way the combat handles and looks, it's like playing air guitar in comparison. And the animations, ice skating up and down stairs is a bit silly now..

But other than that, I'm almost happy that my wife is out traveling for another two weeks :) The flaws aside, I generally truly enjoy the experience. However slightly worried that I've leveled up 15 levels in two days.. a bit too fast perhaps (Or I've played too much).

I'm becoming a Spell-Slinging Doom God. I'm at level 34, I have a total of 84% reduction in magicka cost for my destruction spells, and a pool of over 400 to cast from. Base cost on chain lightning is 7 magicka. Bwahaha. This game is sweet.

Hawkian said:
So my one-handed skill is in red and reduced by 13 on the skills screen. wtf? No explanation to be found.

Check active effects under magic, most likely a disease or something.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is it even possible to marry Lydia? I was on a crazy quest that had a dragon randomly attack me before it, then I had to take on some tough mages/conjurers at the same time and right after. She ended up biting it on the last person but I kept going. I miss her. :(

Echoplx

Papercuts said:
Is it even possible to marry Lydia? I was on a crazy quest that had a dragon randomly attack me before it, then I had to take on some tough mages/conjurers at the same time and right after. She ended up biting it on the last person but I kept going. I miss her. :(

You can't marry her. It's kind of silly giving you a companion that can die when there are many others that can't.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dresden said:
Man, Flame Atronach destroys everything.
A stark contrast to the Ice Atronach, who likes to stand around, watch the fight, and get stuck on every door, ledge, and object it can find.

Glassboy

I'm 13 hours in and I haven't fast traveled once. I love walking through the environment and exploring. Goddamn this game is so good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oblivionmancer said:
Check active effects under magic, most likely a disease or something.
Nothing there. I'm also about to lose 45 minutes of progress because I ran to cover while fighting a dragon and quicksaved, only to find I am just stuck on a rock. pretty pissed. bugs I've encountered so far have been of the silly harmless variety, nothing that affected my progress.

Mystic654

Papercuts said:

According to the Guide. Yes, you can marry her.

Took a quick carriage to Markarth to finish some quests I still had open there. As I'm making my way to the keep, I come across a priest of Stendarr interrogating passersby about an abandoned house he suspects was used for Daedric worship. No one knows anything about it, though, so he asks me to go with him. I figure "hey, exploring a house, what can go wrong."

We go all the way down into the cellar when the house suddenly starts throwing things at us, speaking to us in a booming voice, telling us to kill or be killed. The priest goes nuts and I'm forced to chop his head off. Now the voice beckons me back downstairs, where a locked door has opened, leading to a recently dug tunnel. Inside the tunnel is a Daedric altar... And a rusty mace. As I reach to grab it, I'm suddenly surrounded by spikes, and the Daedra Lord reveals itself to be our old friend Molag Bal. He tasks me to find the priest of Boethiah that bound him to the shrine and destroyed his mace... Or die trying.

Man, the quests in this game can be amazing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No joke, I just threw my controller at the ground and it dislodged my character from where I was stuck. I'll take it.

Esch

Banned
For elder scrolls nerds, holy shit i
cannnoottt believe my eyes when i walked into a random dungeon and found the falmer. what the hell

I daresay this game captures the feel and content of a high fantasy game better than any i have ever played

Luthos

Earlier, I got attacked by two random dragons at once. @_@

I don't know if it was friendly fire between the two or something, but one of them seemed to go down awfully quick. The other actually put up a decent fight.

And that was on my way to a word wall, so I got 3 souls in less than an hour. Nice.

Lakitu

st5fu
I've just bought my first house in Whiterun after going to
Dustman's Caird with Farkas. There I also learned another dragon shout (fire breath) and it's awesome. I loved using it against the Draugr in the last area.

Now I just need to furnish my house so I can store all my stuff.

Just played alongside my friend for the second night in a row. I've owned the game for around 36 hours, and I've played for 13 of them. Someone help me, I can't stop

Luthos

Blue Ninja said:
Took a quick carriage to Markarth to finish some quests I still had open there. As I'm making my way to the keep, I come across a priest of Stendarr interrogating passersby about an abandoned house he suspects was used for Daedric worship. No one knows anything about it, though, so he asks me to go with him. I figure "hey, exploring a house, what can go wrong."

We go all the way down into the cellar when the house suddenly starts throwing things at us, speaking to us in a booming voice, telling us to kill or be killed. The priest goes nuts and I'm forced to chop his head off. Now the voice beckons me back downstairs, where a locked door has opened, leading to a recently dug tunnel. Inside the tunnel is a Daedric altar... And a rusty mace. As I reach to grab it, I'm suddenly surrounded by spikes, and the Daedra Lord reveals itself to be our old friend Molag Bal. He tasks me to find the priest of Boethiah that bound him to the shrine and destroyed his mace... Or die trying.

I did that quest too (the first part you mentioned anyway). It was so awesome.

But it probably wasn't as crazy/surprising as the "dog" quest down near Falkreath.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Blue Ninja said:

Yeah, I just did this earlier. I also got INTO Markarth in a weird ass way,
a drinking contest in Whiterun, woke up inside a temple in Markarth, and apparently trashed it in a drunken rage on top of stealing and attempting to marry a goat. The entire questline regarding that was also amazing, I have a badass weapon now.

kokujin

Banned
Everytime I set a bow to a quickslot,it resets after switching weapons.I have equip it to a slot everytime.Anybody else have this problem?

Didn't I tell you this'll be GOTY before it was released?

This game is so awesome, unbelieveable. Bethesda really surpased themselves with the art design of the game world. I'm just on my way up to the grey beards and man, going up there is as awesome as it get get.

I have already 32 hours on my count and I just can't.... stop.... playing.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Its so weird.. I was wandering around with barely any spells or money, did one quest and boom. Now i got a ton of shit and im a bad ass. I like it.

Papercuts said:
Yeah, I just did this earlier. I also got INTO Markarth in a weird ass way,
a drinking contest in Whiterun, woke up inside a temple in Markarth, and apparently trashed it in a drunken rage on top of stealing and attempting to marry a goat. The entire questline regarding that was also amazing, I have a badass weapon now.
Me too. :lol
I apparently had gotten engaged to a hagraven. I still need to finish the quest, though, go find that guy with the staff. :p

Luthos said:
I did that quest too (the first part you mentioned anyway). It was so awesome.

But it probably wasn't as crazy/surprising as the "dog" quest down near Falkreath.
Holy shit, yes, that quest was pretty awesome too. Wait 'til you talk to a certain prisoner in Falkreath, or a quite eccentric fellow roaming around near the Bard's College in Solitude.

OG Kush

Can anyone tell me whats the use of a Dragon stone? It has weight 25 but 0 worth.. whats the point of it?
edit: just realised i gotta give to give it to this wizard haha i went around the quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom