• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Blue Ninja said:
You lost your chance. There's plenty of random dragons around though, so don't fret.

Are there more than would be needed for all the
Shout powers?

I think I just played for 5 hours without even realizing it. The world is so rich and engrossing, and I haven't even completed any quests besides trading in some cabbages and the like, and helping Alvor with (well, him teaching me) some simple blacksmithing stuff.

That said, there are still flaws and quirks that I've noticed even in that short a time. I do have the texture issues (playing on 360). Some are just really low rez at times. Part of it is the actual problem, and part I know just has to be console limitations - I do intend on picking the game up again on PC when I have a capable rig (for better graphics + mods), but I just couldn't wait to play the game until then. Even still, that's not enough to put me off when I can just look off into the distance at the beautiful world.

When I first got to Riverwood it was late afternoon/night and everyone was asleep, so I went to sleep myself and when I woke up to do my character interactions, it was raining beautifully. It was great to just absorb the atmosphere.

I'm a bit rambly as it's early in the morning and I've been up all night I guess, but I definitely see myself spending a lot of time in Skyrim - the world-building here is rich, vibrant, and miles beyond Oblivion which I only ever got a few hours into - though I intend to go back and try with mods on the PC version at some point, which I do own (Steam Sale!).

Oh, and quick question, not really a spoiler since it happens in the first 10 minutes, but I assume there's a difference if you follow the imperial guy vs. the fellow prisoner? I followed the prisoner because why the hell would I follow one of the guys that was about to execute me? I kind of want to go back and see what difference it makes.

I rolled a female dark elf by the way. I ended up spending probably at least a half an hour browsing through the character creator.

More impressions and adventures later!

Acheteedo

The game is a masterpiece.

The mage college quest line is fantastic, Bethesda have truly honed their craft.

Had an epic run in with a dragon - something angered a giant mid-battle so I had to fight both at once, focusing on the dragon as best I could, convinced my horse had just been incinerated, my companion was taken down some time ago. Barely managed to finish off the dragon and fortunately happened across a rock that the giant couldn't scale but I could attack over the top of, so I just circled that while I brought him down.

Giant are harder than dragons.

DarthWoo said:
Are there more than would be needed for all the
Shout powers?
Yes.

Rebel Leader said:
main Storyline spoiler:
Did anyone else attacked The Greybeards master when you first saw him? Just because he was a Dragon?
Shit, shouldn't have read that, clearly I'm not far into the main quest at all. :lol

Oh well.

wwm0nkey

So here is what just happened to me the past few hours in Skyrim

Started saving up money till I had at least 6k gold saved up so I could buy Iron Ingots constantly from Riverwood, I did this so I could level up my smithing abilities to level 100, took awhile but I was able to do that and get a few quest done too, in between the time of doing this I had 5 dragons attack the village so I was able to unlock all of my current shouts and have more than enough dragon scales and bones to make all the Dragon armor and upgrade the armor to legendary. Also made a two-handed axe that currently does 130 damage.

Love this game so much

wwm0nkey said:
So here is what just happened to me the past few hours in Skyrim

Started saving up money till I had at least 6k gold saved up so I could buy Iron Ingots constantly from Riverwood, I did this so I could level up my smithing abilities to level 100, took awhile but I was able to do that and get a few quest done too, in between the time of doing this I had 5 dragons attack the village so I was able to unlock all of my current shouts and have more than enough dragon scales and bones to make all the Dragon armor and upgrade the armor to legendary. Also made a two-handed axe that currently does 130 damage.

Love this game so much
I'll definitely need to do that...

At least, if I can still buy ingots from Riverwood. Alvor died when a dragon randomly attacked. :(

SteveWD40

I restarted, wasn't feeling archery (constantly having to switch to mele) so I went Dual Weild, I am actually having far more fun with that and getting lots of cinematic kills, blocking only seemed to help every now and then whereas being able to kill quicker seems more effective.

Just wish my OH weapon showed up when sheathed...

wwm0nkey

Blue Ninja said:
I'll definitely need to do that...

At least, if I can still buy ingots from Riverwood. Alvor died when a dragon randomly attacked. :(
You can do it in any town that has a blacksmith that sells ingots

squidyj said:
Is one-shotting giants supposed to happen?

Math below. Describes some gear that might sort of spoil the dark brotherhood questline
doing 43 damage on my daggers right now, I think the attacks are for more, 30x sneak attacks for 1290 BUT that's not power attack right? and if I dual power attack I get 3 attacks. I still haven't picked up +50% damage on dual wielding power attacks so there'll be that too, so lets say 27 damage on my legendary Daedric daggers. 27 * 2.2 * 1.5 * 30 * 3 = 8019 maybe that's wrong, I'm not sure, but it's still a huge amount of damage and i'm pretty sure enough to one-shot anything. Getting in position seems pretty easy too with +45% sneak from gear and muffled shoes. Is there anything I could be doing better? As I level up more I'll invest more in a Legendary Daedric bow and archery skill to complement my daggers

Wait a second, where did you get those daggers?!

Rebel Leader said:
Eh, no biggie man, I'll survive. Don't worry about it too much.
I had some suspicions after the guy's name didn't remind me of any of the ten races.

wwm0nkey said:
You can do it in any town that has a blacksmith that sells ingots
Sweet. I'll do it once I get back to Whiterun, I'm heading to Riverwood for some quest-related business right now.

kokujin

Banned
Ok figured it out, if you have more than one of a weapon and you have it on a hotkey, you will lose that hotkey if you change weapons on that hand.Haven't found a way around it, but thats the cause of it.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm said:
Question,

Why can't I use KB & Mouse + my xbox controller? It be nice to use the 1-8 hotkeys.

Maybe a mod?

Also why can't I fire arrows on the back of a horse?

Also do I have to stable my horse or does it just stay where I get off of (unless attacked by enemy)?

Doesn't really explain much about horse.

linkboy

One question before I buy a horse, is there a horse like Shadowmare anywhere in the game. I don't want to blow money on a horse if I can acquire a beauty of a horse that Shadowmare was.

As for the game, I'm totally loving it. One of my favorite games ever made. Just wiped out a vampire's den without getting infected.

linkboy said:
One question before I buy a horse, is there a horse like Shadowmare anywhere in the game. I don't want to blow money on a horse if I can acquire a beauty of a horse that Shadowmare was.

As for the game, I'm totally loving it. One of my favorite games ever made. Just wiped out a vampire's den without getting infected.

Yes there is. Do the Dark Brotherhood quests.

pringles

Is it impossible to sell stolen items? I just stole a TON of stuff (my wood elf is a sneaky bastard) that I want to unload but it's not showing up when talking to merchants?

Dina

KJUVq.jpg

:)

rockx4

Game is really fun, I'm liking it more than Oblivion.

My only complaint is how NPCs ignore others around them at times... like some npc mentions that he's not a good talker like his brother Vilkas, but "Vilkas should be around here somewhere"... and he's sitting right next to him lol. I'm thinking "dude, you mean that guy sitting right next to you?"

Oh, does anyone actually read every book they come across? I read a few, but it started feeling pointless.

GavinGT

Banned
pringles said:
Is it impossible to sell stolen items? I just stole a TON of stuff (my wood elf is a sneaky bastard) that I want to unload but it's not showing up when talking to merchants?

Find the thieve's guild, then find the fence.

SmokinDan

Pro-tip for taking screenshots without the HUD. Open the console with ~ and type in "tm" without quotations and Enter. Press ~ again and take your screenie. Press ~ once more and type in "tm" and enter again to get back your menus. A bit clunky but doesn't take long once you get used to it.

Doesn't disable achievements. When we get a script extender it should be able to be implemented pretty easily.

Gandie

hamchan said:
Finished Companions quest line and loved it. Game is amazing, would not be surprised at all to see this as many people's GOTY.

Do I have to
become a werewolf
to finish the questline?

hamchan

rockx4 said:

My only complaint is how NPCs ignore others around them at times... like some npc mentions that he's not a good talker like his brother Vilkas, but "Vilkas should be around here somewhere"... and he's sitting right next to him lol. I'm thinking "dude, you mean that guy sitting right next to you?"

Oh, does anyone actually read every book they come across? I read a few, but it started feeling pointless.

I collect books in my house intending to read them later. I never do, just like in real life :-(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Took out a wild dragon that had frost breath (try again, I'm a Nord! trololo!) and absorbed it's power but didn't get a new shout. I'm a bit confused as to how this is supposed to work. Now I'm talking to the greybeards.

After this my next venture is definitely to get to the steed stone.

rockx4 said:
I would, but I'm not Indiana Jones. Reading books totally kills the momentum of raiding. Now that I have my house furnished I think I'll just pick them up to add to my bookshelf to read later.

dewkl

Neo Member
I've played for 20-30 hours and I've yet to find anything worthwhile to spend gold on. I have 20000 gold now. What can I spend it on? No one is selling any good items. I guess training?

f0rk

MrCompletely said:
Do the shouts use a consumable? I'm confused, says you need a dragonstone or something

You need a dragon soul to activate a new shout. After that you can use it as much as you want.

dewkl said:
I've played for 20-30 hours and I've yet to find anything worthwhile to spend gold on. I have 20000 gold now. What can I spend it on? No one is selling any good items. I guess training?

Buy houses? The one in Whiterun costs 5,000, the one in Windhelm costs 12,000, and if they keep increasing like that, you'll need a lot of cash to buy them all.

hamchan

dewkl said:

Train smithing, make dragon armour, win game.

Or you can buy a house with that money too.

jonno394

Quick question and sorry if it has already been asked, but in a slight rush to get out of house.

I'm currently using the storage space next to a bed I was given in "The Companions" living areas. Is my stuff going to be safe here until I buy a house?

regs

Dice said:
Took out a wild dragon that had frost breath (try again, I'm a Nord! trololo!) and absorbed it's power but didn't get a new shout. I'm a bit confused as to how this is supposed to work. Now I'm talking to the greybeards.

Killing dragons will give you a dragon soul, which you use to activate shouts. Shouts are found in dungeons mostly.

Shai-Tan

Banned
rockx4 said:

i guess its more annoying here because they have some player contextual dialogue that gives the illusion of awareness of presence. previously it was either you talk to them or overhear or a full on conversation triggered from (quest related) script

Dragnet

Argh, pretty sure I just run into my first real glitch. Was on a Thieves Guild Quest
shadowing some Argonian dude
and now my quest marker tells me he's outside the city, but when I go outside the city the marker tells me to go inside the city. Few other people seem to have the issue too, and I'm too far past it now to load an older save. Fucks sake Bethesda, was really enjoying that quest line :(

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Just got the Fireball spell.

Daaaamn magic is awesome in this game. I love sneaking on a group of enemies and unleashing a firestorm on them from nowhere hahahaha!

Gotta say tho, double fireball is incredibly expensive to cast =/ Need to get destruction to 50 to get the reduced cost perk.

GavinGT

Banned
Dragnet said:
Argh, pretty sure I just run into my first real glitch. Was on a Thieves Guild Quest
shadowing some Argonian dude
and now my quest marker tells me he's outside the city, but when I go outside the city the marker tells me to go inside the city. Few other people seem to have the issue too, and I'm too far past it now to load an older save. Fucks sake Bethesda, was really enjoying that quest line :(

Use your local map at those points rather than trying to follow the cursor.

oneils

mr_lakitu said:
Is there a simpler way of opening the map than having to go to the mission screen, select the mission and press the square button? I've Googled it and still can't find the answer!

Sounds like you are playing on PS 3? If so, press the menu button (probably circle). Then hold the down button on your directional pad. That will open the map.

neoemonk

I immediately ran off into the woods as soon as I made it through the beginning section of the game, and apparently missed some stones that give skill ups or something like that. I guess I'll have to go back and find them now. Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom