• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

This game can be insanely hard at parts :( Getting slaughtered by random bandits in a cavern now, despite having a sidekick with me.

mr_lakitu

Neo Member
Is there a simpler way of opening the map than having to go to the mission screen, select the mission and press the square button? I've Googled it and still can't find the answer!

squidyj

Is one-shotting giants supposed to happen?

Math below. Describes some gear that might sort of spoil the dark brotherhood questline
doing 43 damage on my daggers right now, I think the attacks are for more, 30x sneak attacks for 1290 BUT that's not power attack right? and if I dual power attack I get 3 attacks. I still haven't picked up +50% damage on dual wielding power attacks so there'll be that too, so lets say 27 damage on my legendary Daedric daggers. 27 * 2.2 * 1.5 * 30 * 3 = 8019 maybe that's wrong, I'm not sure, but it's still a huge amount of damage and i'm pretty sure enough to one-shot anything. Getting in position seems pretty easy too with +45% sneak from gear and muffled shoes. Is there anything I could be doing better? As I level up more I'll invest more in a Legendary Daedric bow and archery skill to complement my daggers

DodgerSan

Marco1 said:
It seems pressing B and going into the menu triggers it.
They say they're working on it but nobody knows when it will be fixed.
It is really ruining the immersion for me.
Me too, but not as much as the roar of the 360 if I play it uninstalled. I'll wait for the fix.

anddo0

Anteater said:
Stupid master lock chest!

You move the lockpick an inch and it breaks.. I don't bother with locks above adept. The lockpicking in Skyrim is far more difficult than the other games.

Arucardo

This will drown in the flood of discussion this thread has, but:

If you're having the same glitch I had with esbern not talking in one of the main quests you can use the oblivion mod manager or one of the fallout mod managers to extract the Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa file in to your data folder. Worked for me and everything is fine and dandy again. (also fixes him not opening a door for you)

Also, if you seemingly have an arrow stuck on you forever you just need to get hit by another arrow to fix it.

Oh just found this:

In Skyrim, the player has just three main attributes. Each is represented by a colored bar that appears at the bottom of the screen whenever the attribute is at less than 100%.

Health
The total damage the player can take before dying
Represented by a red bar at the bottom center of the screen
Regenerates 0.7% of your maximum Health each second.

Magicka
The magical energy used to cast spells
Represented by a blue bar at the bottom left of the screen
Regenerates 3.0% of your maximum Magicka each second.

Stamina
The player's physical energy
Represented by a green bar at the bottom right of the screen
Regenerates 5.0% of your maximum Stamina each second.

Each time you level up, you can choose to increase one attribute by ten points.

Secondary Attributes

The following values are derived from your main attributes:

Carry Weight (a.k.a. Encumbrance): the total weight of items that you can carry. Choosing to increase Stamina upon leveling up will also increase Carry Weight.

Notes

The attributes from previous Elder Scrolls games (i.e., Strength, Intelligence, etc.) do not exist in Skyrim.
Unlike Morrowind and Oblivion, the skills that you increase have no effect on attribute increases.

Ashour

So if I use the console command , save then quit/reload I won't break the achievements, right?

I just want to give my character some speed when walking.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
mr_lakitu said:
Is there a simpler way of opening the map than having to go to the mission screen, select the mission and press the square button? I've Googled it and still can't find the answer!

Menu, down down?

Echoplx

Don't you just hate it when you get a super powerful weapon that has awesome enchantments but it's not the right type for your specialty? fml

Enco

mr_lakitu said:
I'm guessing you're on console? Can't you map shortcuts?

On PC, you can just press M.

QP3

mr_lakitu said:

press B (on xbox, I'm assuming circle on ps3) and the press down twice?? Once on the map, it has indicators for the active quest location.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good morning GAF! Got a solid 4 hours of sleep...

Today I'll be doing the first main quest in the game so that I can actually see dragons... I can't believe I played 19 hours without knowing that so I got to fight a total of 0 dragons :(

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about 10 hours in and I've done 1 quest.

I don't normally go for this type of game but it's fascinating just walking around and seeing what people are doing.

so last night, as a certain pleasurable deed was being performed on me that i should have had all my attention towards......

all i could think about was Skyrim.

i'm in love

Valygar

Does anyone know where to find weapons that can trap souls into soul gems? I would kill for a bow / one hand weapon with that property.

I am almost sure I saw one like that in a trader, but I don't remember where. I need it as I'm roleplaying a non-magic user thief khajit. And my elemental weapons need to recharge :( .

Just the location is fine, or how to begin a quest if it's sidequest related.

Lakitu

st5fu
LOL

Went down to Halted Stream Camp to kill a bandit leader for a bounty. I entered and there was this bandit dude looking all bad with his Iron Helmet. Me and Lydia ripped through him, so he stumbled and cowered on the floor in pain as his energy was almost depleted. Then just as I was about to finish him, he screamed in this quirky British accent, "death is highly overrated!" Then I finished him :p

inter

So when I'm equipping a new weapon and it has + or - next to damage, that's relative to my currently equipped weapon, correct? And does that take in to account any enchants on the weapon?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GavinGT said:
You could've always fast travelled.
"You can't fast travel when there are enemies nearby."

Finally beat that dragon- took an hour and a half. My companion was on top of a mountain somewhere and couldn't help, and my little level 7 assassin just is not specced for murdering giant beasts. There was a shout right by him at least- good stuff. Can't wait to upgrade those.

I'm a little peeved about this red stat thing, however, I can find no explanation for it. One handed should be 34, is 20. No diseases or active curses to my knowledge. Hmmm.

Fjordson

So addicted. Just saw it's 4 AM, though. Guess I'll stop early tonight.

Still working with the Companions. So many quests. And my Whiterun sidequests list continues to get bigger and bigger.

Also just got a pretty sweet Elven Bow. Picked the lock on a display case in the Companions HQ for it :lol

Almost level 20 now. My character is really coming into his own finally... early on I was trying to be the stealthy Archer but it usually turned into me getting a couple arrows into a guy and then 1h/shielding the rest of the way. I kept up Oakflesh and Stoneflesh to keep me alive but it was still not really how I wanted to go about things.

After leveling a few times my Archery skills are much improved. Something like +80% damage, 10% crit, Zoom, Slow Time, etc. I also upgraded my bow significantly recently - from using the Ancient Bow with like 13 damage for what seemed like ages I quickly progressed to Hunters -> Imperial -> Orc and now do 23 damage or so (huge increase). I'm able to clear rooms of guys undetected with some well placed head shots. On the spell front, around level 11 or 12 I got those Illusion light spells from College of Winterhold along with the Muffle spell which really helped me level up Illusion and now with a combination of Calm and Fury/Frenzy along with a bow I made that fears opponents on strike I almost don't even have to fight at all anymore. Most my kills involve controlling everyone else to kill each other and then chain charming and sneak/headshotting the single remaining enemy. I just got Detect Life which covers my only real issue of accidentally sneaking into enemies while looking for them. I won't even get into the shouts, I just have four right now but save for the
Calm Animal
one they're all extremely useful... I have a lot of fun getting to places I don't belong with
Whirlwind Sprint

I actually just had a really cool battle with a Dragon. A Frost Dragon landed on me while I was in the woods east of Ivarstead; I was fighting it for a minute or two before I accidentally aggro'd a Troll and some random Wizard NPC who attacked me out of nowhere. I was able to get the Troll and the Wizard to both stop fighting me and fight the dragon instead (the Troll absolutely wrecked it) and then afterwards turned the Wizard and the Troll on each other before just finishing off the Troll with a few shouts and poison arrows.

GavinGT

Banned
Hawkian said:
I'm a little peeved about this red stat thing, however, I can find no explanation for it. One handed should be 34, is 20. No diseases or active curses to my knowledge. Hmmm.

Go to a temple and pray to all the statues. That should do the trick.

79A5A5EBC68E2033DF898464DFBDF77C56037BCD

web01

Loving the game but the more I play the more I notice the flaws and shortcuts they took.
Some things that really annoy me include:

They made collecting alchemy ingredients borring, In Oblivion you could pick every single individual flower and herb and they were always in interesting places. In skyrim you have the same flowers and mushroom holding tress copy and pasted all over the world. As soon as I see a specific tree i know if it holds mushrooms or not. Really annoying since they claim the world was hand crafted.

Generic merchants that scale with your level. makes going to different towns almost pointless except when you just want to buy more stuff. Oblvion had better merchants.

Cities are alot less ambitious than Oblivion, I laughed at supposed biggest graveyard in skyrim.

World events that are scripted and anything but random. Sick of seeing the same evensts over and over. Bandit ambush, rich guy delivering gifts etc.

In your face quest givers. Walk into town event happens, in previous games you found that stuff yourself by talking to people.

Not as many cool unique items, especially when it comes to enchanments.

Copy and pasted buildings.

Feels like it takes itself a bit too serious sometimes, have not run into as many quirky quests and people as previous elder scrolls games.

Overall it feels a bit too close to Fallout with swords than I would like. A self fufilling prophecy. Would have been nice if they looked at how fallout New Vegas improved on the formula in this regard.

Anyway I hate to bitch because I am enjoying the game but I can see a backlash coming soon over alot of things.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GavinGT said:
Go to a temple and pray to all the statues. That should do the trick.
Ahh, thank you! Will try that asap. Need to get some sleep now. Amazing how when you get sidetracked in this game, hours just melt away and you realize you're no closer to the goals you set out toward yet still feel a sense of accomplishment. :p

A hint to discover new words:

One of the quickest ways to discover a new Word Wall is to use an existing shout inside of a town a few times. After doing so, a courier will arrive with a note directing you to a ruin with a word in it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh Skyrim, you so pretty.

The view from the Jarl's dining hall...
boEidh.jpg

Dragon on a Moonlit Night.
7J0sfh.jpg

Wish it would take the cursor out of these...

Seanspeed

Banned
nicoga3000 said:
OK, level 16 archer with an Elven Bow and arrows that are at least 10 damage (switch on and off based on quantity). I try and put Damage Health on for most shots (when I have the potions), do everything I can to sneak shot to start, and give myself ample distance to zoom-slow and get 3-4 shots before the enemy reaches me.

Anything but vanilla bandits wreck my shit. They take SO many hits to kill, do ape shit damage, and force me to drink potions. I'm on master difficulty, so I expect it to be difficult, but it's at the point where when I see two bandits that aren't vanilla (not Chief, but the one below that), I get all scurred.

For you archery players, what are you doing to not get shat on? How do you approach these encounters so you aren't wrecked like WOAH. I also discovered that sabrecats pounce ohko me usually (so I probably shouldn't BE near that area yet), witches/necromancers seem to love eating arrows and my soul, and (as is expected) dragons fire/frost breath are my bane.

Protips? I'd like to keep it on master, so more looking for ideas on if I should be looking for certain gear, trying to power enchanting (but I don't have many good enchants yet), alchemy tips to make my life easier, etc.
Sounds like you should probably reduce the difficulty. I was on Expert and had to reduce down to Adept. Killing bandits and whatnot isn't too difficult anymore for the most part, but I cant imagine what it'd be like trying to take on trolls/bears/sabre cats/etc on a higher difficulty. I think this difficulty setting is pretty fair. Still difficult at times, but never punishing.

Hawkian said:
Wish it would take the cursor out of these...
Pretty sure there's an option to take off the crosshair.

Grassy

If you want to remove the cursor/menus for screenshots type "tm" in the console.
So far I'm 27 hours in, level 15 and 7 dragons down. Can't. Stop. Playing.

So awesome.

Hawkian said:
I find it very satisfying, especially compared to Oblivion, and bearing in mind that it will always be several significant notches below Dark Souls.

Fuck yeah... now I'm not sure if want to do that or the Dark Brotherhood first. Reaaallllly need to get rid of my crap armor.

The Dark Brotherhood armor is pretty cool as well. But... not as cool.

Just do them both!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
maniac-kun said:
A hint to discover new words:

One of the quickest ways to discover a new Word Wall is to use an existing shout inside of a town a few times. After doing so, a courier will arrive with a note directing you to a ruin with a word in it.

I prefer asking
The Greybeards

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
eravulgaris said:
The Dark Brotherhood armor is pretty cool as well. But... not as cool.

Just do them both!
Think I'll hit the thieves guild first. I hate the armor I've got soooo much and that set looks amazing.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So I was traveling to some bandit camp just north of Whiterun after I had killed all the bandits for their bounty. A dragon showed up randomly and landed to fight a giant, whereupon I sneaked up and started shooting it with arrows. The dragon went down, but suddenly the giant was angry at me, and me still being relatively low in level, I died. I reloaded, but this time the giant wasn't there, so I sort of sneaked around until the dragon eventually went away. Did I lose the chance to kill a dragon or is it probably just going to show up again later?

Rebel Leader

DarthWoo said:
So I was traveling to some bandit camp just north of Whiterun after I had killed all the bandits for their bounty. A dragon showed up randomly and landed to fight a giant, whereupon I sneaked up and started shooting it with arrows. The dragon went down, but suddenly the giant was angry at me, and me still being relatively low in level, I died. I reloaded, but this time the giant wasn't there, so I sort of sneaked around until the dragon eventually went away. Did I lose the chance to kill a dragon or is it probably just going to show up again later?

They will always show up
----

Tieno

Really liking the game. I absolutely adored Oblivion and this is the same, except more variety in the world.
It's been more than a year since I played a video game, but this is the right mix. The standard difficulty is not overly demanding and it's really good escapism, like reading a book where you just enjoy being in the world and not thinking about other things.

It's a game of distractions.

Rebel Leader

Tieno said:
Really liking the game. I absolutely adored Oblivion and this is the same, except more variety in the world.
It's been more than a year since I played a video game, but this is the right mix. The standard difficulty is not overly demanding and it's really good escapism, like reading a book where you just enjoy being in the world and not thinking of other things.
Except this book isn't pre-written :3

---
@Darthwoo

You sound like you have a choice.

DarthWoo said:
You lost your chance. There's plenty of random dragons around though, so don't fret.

Gandie

Papercuts said:
Yeah, I just did this earlier. I also got INTO Markarth in a weird ass way,
a drinking contest in Whiterun, woke up inside a temple in Markarth, and apparently trashed it in a drunken rage on top of stealing and attempting to marry a goat. The entire questline regarding that was also amazing, I have a badass weapon now.

Care to give me a hint on how to start this quest? Who should I talk to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom