• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

anddo0

blahblah...blah said:
It might be that you're actually at 100% and need to level up in the menu. If this is the case, you'll do it and then find that all the XP since you reached the end of the previous level has been accumulated.

Thanks, that did it.

GavinGT

Banned
Piercedveil said:
Any of them will do? I am not sure which one is the first fence.

It's one specific guy. He tells you at one point in the questline that he'll buy any illegal goods. He's down in one of the two large, cavernous rooms that the Thieves' Guild guys are all hanging out in. He's standing by some tables.

spirity

Ok, I just looted
the shards of mehrunes razor from Cracktusk Keep
but I don't have a quest for it (yet). Its not going to be a problem is it?

Eteric Rice

Question: Do you get party members or anything later on?

Just wondering, my first time attempting to play through an Elder Scrolls game.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
spirity said:
Ok, I just looted
the shards of mehrunes razor from Cracktusk Keep
but I don't have a quest for it (yet). Its not going to be a problem is it?
Just hang on to it. I've completed a few quests before by already having the item, and the person who gives the quest will have a dialogue option that will come up and say something like, "Hey, I already have that thing you want." And then they'll usually be all impressed and stuff and you get some extra dialogue.

spirity

Dance In My Blood said:
Just hang on to it. I've completed a few quests before by already having the item, and the person who gives the quest will have a dialogue option that will come up and say something like, "Hey, I already have that thing you want." And then they'll usually be all impressed and stuff and you get some extra dialogue.

Ah, I did think that might be the case, great to have it confirmed. Cheers :)

dimb

Jarate said:
what's the level cap in this game?
Soft level cap is 50. Supposed to take a really long time to level up after that, but you can go higher, like other people have pointed out.
Eteric Rice said:

Yes, there are lots of people who can join you, but in my experience they have a tendency to die a lot. Skyrim is a dangerous place and all. There's a spell out there that can permanently turn a dead body to fight for you and become your companion. Going to spend today trying to find it.

GeoramA

angelfly said:
Had to run all over Skyrim selling things but I finally bought a house. Feels good to have your own place.
Indeed. Just bought a house in Whiterun, but I have no gold left to furnish it :(

spirity

Eteric Rice said:

Yeah you do. Relatively early.

What do you think of Elder Scrolls then?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So I think I've realized now that collecting every book is not helpful. If I accidentally sell a book (or dispose of it) that help raise a stat do I lose that stat raise or is that forever in there?

Firebrand

All About My Horse:

- They really need to change so horses aren't quite as aggressive. Last night I had my horse storm a bandit tower and run up the narrow staircases...

- Why is my (bought) horse walking away from me after I dismount? I'm encumbered so I can't catch up to him...

- Can you outfit your horse with bags or something? I could REALLY use some extra inventory space, what with all those dragon bones and books I'm carrying... Don't have a house yet.

dimb

Kave_Man said:
So I think I've realized now that collecting every book is not helpful. If I accidentally sell a book (or dispose of it) that help raise a stat do I lose that stat raise or is that forever in there?
You only need to read it once. You don't even have to collect it to get the stat.

I kind of wish the idle chatter in the different cities was a bit more diverse.

I used to be an adventurer like you, until I took an arrow in the knee.

Who is kneecapping all of Skyrim's adventurers?

dimb

Firebrand said:
- Can you outfit your horse with bags or something? I could REALLY use some extra inventory space, what with all those dragon bones and books I'm carrying... Don't have a house yet.
South of Solitude, across the river and in the swampy kinda area is the Stone of the Steed. I highly recommend it as it removes encumbrance and lets you carry more.

djplaeskool said:

I had a kid in Riverwood say "In all my years I've never seen anything like this".

panda21

oh my goodness this is the game of the forever. so much detail even in the side stuff.

i'm sort of stuck near the beginning and not sure what i ought to be doing..

i'm going up the mountain to speak to the greybeard dudes, and when i go up the steps i run into this frost troll that like 2 hits me
. i've done a fair bit of side stuff, including a barrow nearby. theres not many sidequests open, that are anywhere nearby at least. does this mean i need to level more, or do i just suck at fighting?

Arjen

PumpkinPie said:
How do you start the Thieves Guild quests? I've been stealing stuff and thought someone would seek me out.

Go to Riften and talk to some people there, should pop up pretty soon.

Can't say I'm feeling the Dark Brotherhood in this.
I can't remember how they were in Oblivion, but in this they just seem like cartoony sociopaths. I was kinda hoping for a more professional assassins club.
I want to be a good guy on my first character, that dabbles in some grey area shenanigans, these guys are too insane. Guess I'll save this questline for my next character.

I'll kindly take
the boots that muffle all sound
though. Guess I'll stick to working for the thieves guild instead.

Though I'm curious... What would happen if I killed everyone in the Dark Brotherhood?

Firebrand

Dance In My Blood said:
South of Solitude, across the river and in the swampy kinda area is the Stone of the Steed. I highly recommend it as it removes encumbrance and lets you carry more.
Cool, I'll check that out. It makes a lot of sense that I can't run around with several sets of armors in my pockets but I need the cash :p Met a dragon and had to promptly drop half my inventory on the ground to fight it.

And argh, the click stick to crouch / go third person is so annoying... keep clicking them by mistake, but I can't unbind and put anything on the keyboard instead.

jonno394

djplaeskool said:

Stealth archers

djplaeskool said:

That would be me. I tend to forget that this isn't Fallout and there is no sense in shooting their knees. I'm sorry man.

Realyn

How dumb is this shit.

Im doing the
werewolf
quests and have to get some artifacts back. This is the third time I rescue
some werewolf
by picking his cell and he attacks me. Stupid beast.

Jarlaxle

Okay. I just need some clarification. Spoilers from the Companions quest:

So, I'm at the part where they're asking me to become a werewolf. What are the benefits of this? Are there cons like becoming a vampire? Is it a hard thing to cure if I decide I don't like it? Thanks in advance for the help.

hlhbk

I had to fly out of town and will be going.g back home tonight. I have the PC collectors edition waiting for me there. 2 questions:

1. How is the CE?

2. What is better for this game mouse/KB or 360 gamepad?

Realyn

Jarlaxle said:

So, I'm at the part where they're asking me to become a werewolf. What are the benefits of this? Are there cons like becoming a vampire? Is it a hard thing to cure if I decide I don't like it? Thanks in advance for the help.
No cons. You can simply warg once a day and go berserk. Sprint+attack is way OP. I think the whole companion quests are around werewolf so it doesnt really matter what you choose. Either the werewolf companions like you, or they don´t.

panda21 said:
oh my goodness this is the game of the forever. so much detail even in the side stuff.

i'm sort of stuck near the beginning and not sure what i ought to be doing..

i'm going up the mountain to speak to the greybeard dudes, and when i go up the steps i run into this frost troll that like 2 hits me
. i've done a fair bit of side stuff, including a barrow nearby. theres not many sidequests open, that are anywhere nearby at least. does this mean i need to level more, or do i just suck at fighting?

If you're not strong enough
you can just run past the Ice Troll, you don't have to fight him.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Realyn said:
How dumb is this shit.

Im doing the
werewolf
quests and have to get some artifacts back. This is the third time I rescue
some werewolf
by picking his cell and he attacks me. Stupid beast.
If you listened, literally about 5 minutes before that the person your with talks about other people that become
werewolves
aren't able to handle it and go rabid.

QP3

GeoramA said:
Indeed. Just bought a house in Whiterun, but I have no gold left to furnish it :(
You have to talk to a guy in Dragons reach. i forgot his name but he is usually within steps of Jarl Balgruuf. You can purchase furnishing from him. Actually, come to think of it, it should be the same guy you bought the house from

Raxus

Jarlaxle said:

the wiki (which I can't link since it contains spoilers) has a nice rundown to the pros and cons. You can't be in wolf form long unless you keep killing things, you don't regen health, but you gain super strength, you can't use shouts, etc. come off the top of my head.

You get a quest after silverhand to cure your wolf problem from the leader if you so choose.

Realyn

K2Valor said:
If you listened, literally about 5 minutes before that the person your with talks about other people that become
werewolves
aren't able to handle it and go rabid.
Excuse me, but the first time(after the ritual) Aela wasn´t even with me, when I opened the cell, so how could I listen to anyone there?

Realyn said:
No cons. You can simply warg once a day and go berserk. Sprint+attack is way OP. I think the whole companion quests are around werewolf so it doesnt really matter what you choose. Either the werewolf companions like you, or they don´t.

Actually there is a downside.
If you are werewolf you don't get the rested bonus from sleeping. However further in the questline I believe there is a way to remove the curse. I haven't done it myself because being a werewolf is FUCKING INSANE. Your power attack sends people flying, your special power fears people, and you can feed on dead bodies to gain health and make the transformation last longer. It's pretty awesome.

ironcreed

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:

Heading there today. Thanks for that.

dimb

Jarlaxle said:

Biggest benefit is Beast Form, where you turn into a werewolf and go on a frenzy. You do not accrue bounty while in this form, just don't let anyone see you transform who wouldn't be cool with it. You also become immune to all sickness and disease as a werewolf (so you never have to worry about becoming a vampire even). Cons are limited to one thing, no more rested bonus from sleeping. Well, and sometimes people will tell you that you smell like a wet dog. Worth it though.

It's also very easy to cure, and the story with the Companions will walk you through the process if you change your mind.

Ledsen

hlhbk said:
I had to fly out of town and will be going.g back home tonight. I have the PC collectors edition waiting for me there. 2 questions:

1. How is the CE?

2. What is better for this game mouse/KB or 360 gamepad?
Gamepad is flawless.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Realyn said:
Excuse me, but the first time(after the ritual) Aela wasn´t even with me, when I opened the cell, so how could I listen to anyone there?
I guess my post gave off the wrong connotation, didn't mean to sound like an asshole. But how it happened for me is earlier
I opened a door and there was a stretched out werewolf pinned up against the wall by the Blades. Whoever was with me commented on it.

TheExodu5

Banned
I still prefer mouse and keyboard by a longshot. Sure, there's a bit of mouse lag, but it's still way easier than the gamepad. I think the mouse is pretty essential to proper archery.

The menus are a little bit problematic, but navigating them with WSAD, e, Tab works fine.

Valygar

PumpkinPie said:
How do you start the Thieves Guild quests? I've been stealing stuff and thought someone would seek me out.

Go to Riften. You will hear rumors about the thieves guild, but to start the quest I just had to be in the middle of the plaza where merchants are selling things (when it's day). You might start it by some other way, but I don't know.

TheExodu5 said:
I still prefer mouse and keyboard by a longshot. Sure, there's a bit of mouse lag, but it's still way easier than the gamepad. I think the mouse is pretty essential to proper archery.

The menus are a little bit problematic, but navigating them with WSAD, e, Tab works fine.
This is what I'm struggling with. Everything in the game works really well with a gamepad... but archery would be 10 times better with a mouse. When I try to just put the controller down and use my mouse it never responds at all :(

Firehead

SteveWinwood said:
This is what I'm struggling with. Everything in the game works really well with a gamepad... but archery would be 10 times better with a mouse. When I try to just put the controller down and use my mouse it never responds at all :(
Gotta disable controller in the settings in-game.

SteveWinwood said:

yea being able to switch on the fly would be ideal

Noaloha

Agh. I hate it when I knock something over in my house. Cue ten minutes of endeavouring to deftly place the two pieces of rabbit meat back on the plate without making even more of a mess (and failing -- indeed, flailing -- miserably).

Realyn

Mechanized said:
Actually there is a downside.
If you are werewolf you don't get the rested bonus from sleeping. However further in the questline I believe there is a way to remove the curse. I haven't done it myself because being a werewolf is FUCKING INSANE. Your power attack sends people flying, your special power fears people, and you can feed on dead bodies to gain health and make the transformation last longer. It's pretty awesome.

Well you are right. And like someone else said you dont get bounty. I even abused this abit.

There was a quest in Whiterun where I had to save a brother(top left of the map). I did that, but the moment we walked out of the fortress there were like 10 bandits. So I went back into the fort, warged, went outside, killed everything(even the brother attacked me!), moved back in and waited until I was human again.

@Valor, I just think its a bad gameplay decision. I mean after doing the ritual you see another one of your kind(still alive), are happy to free him and he goes berserk on you .. felt stupid.

dimb

TheExodu5 said:

Game has some crazy auto-aim. I've never had any issues with archery on the controller.

One weird thing though, was that I saw this the other day.
0Q1TY.jpg

Which was weird because half of it should be open. Somehow my controller was activating FRAPS video recording and I had like 500 gigs of Skyrim movies on my PC.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
djplaeskool said:

It's an assassin that goes by the name of tonya harding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom