• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

Even the freaking Bards College needs me to run to some dungeon to pick up some crap before I can join. Uhhh, what? These bards don't look like they can even hold a sword and they're sending a prospective applicant into a dark dungeon to retrieve something as a requirement to join? WTF?

W1SSY

Had another good night with the game. Killed my third dragon. When I was battling the third I saw a fourth in the sky and was thinking it may land and mess me up but it didn't land. Got a good bit of traveling done and have a lot of new cities to look through. I also ended up getting married to the lady that asks for the mammoth tusk in Whiterun. Didn't do a lot in the main quest but that is the amazing thing about Elder Scrolls game, you can spend days doing nothing but side quests and going in caves.

Bungieware said:
Why do all the guards in Whiterun sound like Schwarzenegger?
The guy that you quest with in the companions sounds like Hulk Hogan with the amount of times he says "Brother".

kodt

Banned
Bufbaf said:
So the "In my time of need" quest (find the redguard woman) is bugged, eh? Jail doors won't open, already paid the fine. Anyone knowing a workaround for that? I wanna continue :(

In my game I had to talk to guy in jail again, then tell him that I paid his fine. Then he tells you want you need to know.

They didn't just let him out after paying the fine, I had to go talk to him.

Echoplx

I've been getting more awesome light armor than heavy, kinda shitty. Are there any mods out to adjust perks yet? i wouldn't mind 'transferring' my heavy armor perks to light armor.

Ghost23

Mothman91 said:
Wouldn't you need those to make dragon armor!? Although I'm that close in the game to make that kind of armor, it would make sense for those material to make that armor...

From what I have been hearing, there are either a plethora or infinite amount of dragons. For me, because I am a mage/battlemage, dragon armor is probably something I do not need to worry about, so I'm going to sell the bones and scales.

So when a character reaches level 50, how many skills will you be able to max out?

spirity said:
Be on the lookout for gear that increases resistances. I'm pure melee, no ranged, so stuff like that really comes in handy.
I'll try that, but I'll probably have to wait a few levels to get my health up also. Those bitches witches are annoying,

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah my assassin guy has a hard time against pure mages too, probably doesn't help that I'm 25 already. The only advantage I have is my sneak benefits, I do 3x bonus damage with bows in stealth and a whopping 30x damage with daggers (15x perk and a dark brotherhood item that doubles whatever my current backstab damage is). If I can sneak up to these mages I can usually kill them in 1 hit thanks to the 30x damage.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
nicoga3000 said:
OK, level 16 archer with an Elven Bow and arrows that are at least 10 damage (switch on and off based on quantity). I try and put Damage Health on for most shots (when I have the potions), do everything I can to sneak shot to start, and give myself ample distance to zoom-slow and get 3-4 shots before the enemy reaches me.

Anything but vanilla bandits wreck my shit. They take SO many hits to kill, do ape shit damage, and force me to drink potions. I'm on master difficulty, so I expect it to be difficult, but it's at the point where when I see two bandits that aren't vanilla (not Chief, but the one below that), I get all scurred.

For you archery players, what are you doing to not get shat on? How do you approach these encounters so you aren't wrecked like WOAH. I also discovered that sabrecats pounce ohko me usually (so I probably shouldn't BE near that area yet), witches/necromancers seem to love eating arrows and my soul, and (as is expected) dragons fire/frost breath are my bane.

Protips? I'd like to keep it on master, so more looking for ideas on if I should be looking for certain gear, trying to power enchanting (but I don't have many good enchants yet), alchemy tips to make my life easier, etc.

I got one suggestion to lower the difficulty, but before I do that, any other tips? Is an archer even viable on master without digging deep into [insert magic school here]?

styl3s

FuzzyNorman said:
From what I have been hearing, there are either a plethora or infinite amount of dragons. For me, because I am a mage/battlemage, dragon armor is probably something I do not need to worry about, so I'm going to sell the bones and scales.

So when a character reaches level 50, how many skills will you be able to max out?
woa what is a battlemage? i have debating on what to re-roll.

since im only 10 hours in it doesn't much bother me, especially considering about 6-7 of those hours was just running around doing stupid shit.

i wasted a lot of perks.

Deadbeat

Banned
Does anyone know where I can find some Elven armor? I have no problem killing bandits/innocents to get it. People are saying they are running into elven bandits with it but I havent found anyone yet.

LifEndz

This game is so addictive!

I just purchased the house in Whiterun and the guest bedroom is owned. I read somewhere that that room is for your housecarl (lydia in my case). My housecarl died a few missions back, so I'm wondering if this bed will forever belong to her or is there a way to free it up. It's my house and I have to sleep in every bed in the house!

MrBig

Closing in on 30 hours, level 29 and I'm still at the basic level spells. I found telekinesis but that it really, where do I find other high level spells?

Shurs

civilstrife said:
Yes there are.

Cool.

I just started playing.

In the first town my first few interactions didn't use a dialogue tree.

At a store, I was presented only with a "talk" button which led to me accepting a side-quest (help a shopkeeper who had been robbed) I'd rather have saved for later.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how many perks you can choose in total: 49 or al the way till 69? I heard conflicting things, some saying you don't get perks past lvl 50, others saying you do :s

If someone can confirm which one it is, I would be grateful ;)

GhaleonEB

I could use a hint on something. I'm in Whiterun (I think), and I need to find a little brat I'm playing hide and seek with, at night. Is she hiding indoors or out? I've searched the town a few times over now.

styl3s

Do you think an orc who specializes in heavy armor and 1h sword/1h magic is viable? maybe use destruction going into a battle then switching to healing on left and attack with 1h and heal myself?

Wallach

Forkball said:
Wait, how can you switch spells on the fly like that without going into the menu?

Hotkeys on PC. Set them from inside the favorites menu by hitting 1-8 with whatever you want highlighted.

Simo

Anyone know what the latest patch is for? Just got the download prompt for 360 when booting up the game today.

cnizzle06

Banned
So can weapons and armor not be damaged? Also, are there not descriptions for items? I'm having a hard time discerning between heavy and light armor.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
cnizzle06 said:
So can weapons and armor not be damaged? Also, are there not descriptions for items? I'm having a hard time discerning between heavy and light armor.

It should say in the upper left corner if the item is heavy or light.

styl3s

Mothman91 said:
Wouldn't you need those to make dragon armor!? Although I'm that close in the game to make that kind of armor, it would make sense for those material to make that armor...
Yeah, according to the guide it shows 2 types of dragon armor

Dragonplate and Dragonscale (heavy/light)

The plate requires dragon 2-3 scales and 1-2 bones to make and the light armor requires 2 scales except the shield which requires 4.

The rest is just common stuff you will find along the way or can make like leather straps, seems pretty simple to make it's just dumping perks and grinding your way to the ability to make it and judging by the stats on it, it isn't worth it.. unless they just look badass.

The Daedric armor is much much much much better whatever Daedric is

renitou

Question on speech requirement (Spoilers for completing Tending the Flames quest for the Bard's College)

So, I'm able to convince Viarmo to go with the first outlandish verse when we're filling in the missing pieces of the poem about King Olaf, but he continually balks at the persuasion attempt for the second line. My speech is at 33; anyone know if it's a matter of dice rolls, or if I have to just be above a certain number threshold in order to get him to go along with things?

Thanks!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
cnizzle06 said:
Not sure how I missed that. Thanks :)

Sure thing.

Besides my archery questions, in order to make dragon armor (which is cool that it comes in light variety), do I NEED to invest in smithing? That's some points I don't want to dump, and if that's some of the best armor, I'm in a bit of a situation...

Esch

Banned
Summon spectral assassin is incredible. Brings the game to a new level when doing Dark Brotherhood quests.

Speaking of the brotherhood.
lucien lachance is still creepy as hell. actually it was his advice that i spared cicero. He told me the dread father did not desire cicero's death. That it was an anomaly. Awesome. He also is asking me if i question Astrid, whether she's a good keeper etc. This plotline is awesome.

How do you do more damage while dual wielding when you're forced to alternate left and right attacks? Maybe I haven't looked into this enough, but I can't test it right this second since I'm in a bear cave and just happened to be absent even one extra dagger for testing.

How do you do melee sneak attacks? I sneak up behind someone and do a crouched power attack, but I don't believe I'm getting a sneak bonus as I don't get the same popup as I do when I use the bow from a hiding place. Am I not supposed to do a power attack?

Volimar

Watching a stream where the player was fighting a dragon and then got attacked by a frost troll. He complained about his bad luck, but then the frost troll and the dragon started fighting each other, and with the player's help, the troll and dragon did a double KO. I want this game in the best way.

Kwixotik

Are faction/daedra quest rewards level scaled? That's the only reason I haven't started DB or Thieves Guild quests yet. I don't want my sneaky items to be shitty in the late game.

Slermy

Forkball said:
Wait, how can you switch spells on the fly like that without going into the menu?

On consoles you can also go to an item in your favorites list and hold down either Left or Right on the D-Pad, you will see a "1" or a "2" appear. This tags them to be a quick switch and then tapping left or right on the d-pad while playing will auto-equip/use that item. Be aware that weapons default to the right and and spells to the left.

Esch

Banned
Digital Limit said:
How do you do more damage while dual wielding when you're forced to alternate left and right attacks? Maybe I haven't looked into this enough, but I can't test it right this second since I'm in a bear cave and just happened to be absent even one extra dagger for testing.
I believe that perks go a long way in making dual wield useful. I personally find it kinda clunky, but i'd imagine dual flurry and dual savagery probably make it pretty useful. and then of course there's that attack where you push both buttons and he does the scissors cut.

Slermy

Out_Of_Ammo said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how many perks you can choose in total: 49 or al the way till 69? I heard conflicting things, some saying you don't get perks past lvl 50, others saying you do :s

If someone can confirm which one it is, I would be grateful ;)

Level 50 is not the cap, so you can get perks as long as you get levels.

Firebrand

Ledsen said:
Gamepad is flawless.
Eh. I mostly enjoy playing with the gamepad (rumble, yay!), but accidentally clicking the stick is a major problem for me, very disorienting to constantly go into sneak or 3rd person in combat. I hope they patch it so you can transfer some functions to the keyboard when using the gamepad, such as Wait and the Pause Menu.

styl3s said:
Do you think an orc who specializes in heavy armor and 1h sword/1h magic is viable? maybe use destruction going into a battle then switching to healing on left and attack with 1h and heal myself?
Don't see why it wouldn't be, with 1h you've got lots of options.

Questions: Can you block somehow when using 1h weapons without a shield? Also, in the trailer there's this segment where the player slits someone's throat, can you actually do this?

Digital Limit said:

How do you do melee sneak attacks? I sneak up behind someone and do a crouched power attack, but I don't believe I'm getting a sneak bonus as I don't get the same popup as I do when I use the bow from a hiding place. Am I not supposed to do a power attack?

You don't have to alternate between left and right. If you tap left and right at the same time, you do a dual wield sweep, and if you hold left and right at the same time, you do a dual wield combo that consumes stamina. You have to time the presses at the same time though, otherwise its just a normal attack with 1 hand.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
One thing that I absolutely love is how visceral and dynamic the combination of Destruction spell in one hand and Sword or other one-handed weapon in the other hand feels. You end up hitting an enemy when his/her block is down with your weapon then back up and blast them with a destruction spell. It just feels so right.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Guys, I have an urgent question.

I found out on a vendor a spell that says it traps enemies souls, generating soulstones. Do I need empty soulstones or whatever or they just drop it if they die before the 60 seconds run out?

Thanks!

Man, can't believe how much I'm enjoying this game despite the QA issues with the PC version.

GreekWolf

Thinking back, I'm still amazed that Bleak Falls Barrow is a better dungeon than the entirety of Oblivion's dungeons and most of Morrowind's.

Would love to see something comparable in Skyrim to the Forgotten Vaults of Anudnabia from Morrowind.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
how do I check my total playtime on pc? ( without resorting to the built in steam counter 9

Esch

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
One thing that I absolutely love is how visceral and dynamic the combination of Destruction spell in one hand and Sword or other one-handed weapon in the other hand feels. You end up hitting an enemy when his/her block is down with your weapon then back up and blast them with a destruction spell. It just feels so right.

This is what i'm doing mostly but im kinda unbalanced now. My destruction spells are too weak, i'm considering switching to the sign of the mage for a little while because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom