• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Realyn said:
@Valor, I just think its a bad gameplay decision. I mean after doing the ritual you see another one of your kind(still alive), are happy to free him and he goes berserk on you .. felt stupid.
I think it's a good way to let the player know there are feral werewolfs out there. You're not all going to be buddies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Game has some crazy auto-aim. I've never had any issues with archery on the controller.

The auto-aim was really hindering me yesterday. I was trying to get a really tough enemy to follow me so that I could set off a trap with a carefully placed arrow, but the arrow kept going towards the enemy. I needed to uncheck "360 controller" in the options menu to turn it off. Auto-aim also doesn't help when trying to lead targets.

neoemonk

Looking forward to being powerful enough to not have to drop into melee when things get hairy. I don't really like the "run backwards and fire arrows" style, so usually I go archery until they close, switch to magic until my magicka depletes, and as a last ditch 1H axe and shield.

Eventually I'll have to favor one out of fear of gimping my character from spreading my perks too thin. I just can't decide because I actually enjoy stealth/archery, magic, and melee pretty much the same.

Dance In My Blood said:
Game has some crazy auto-aim. I've never had any issues with archery on the controller.

One weird thing though, was that I saw this the other day.
0Q1TY.jpg

Which was weird because half of it should be open. Somehow my controller was activating FRAPS video recording and I had like 500 gigs of Skyrim movies on my PC.
Lol! And you didn't notice some kind of performance hitch?

Ghost23

If you want a decent one-handed weapon pretty early, read
"The Red Eagle" in the mage's bookcase in Dragonreach.

Also, if I am going mostly mage with a little in one-handed, should I be wearing light armor? So far, I am only wearing mage robes, but I am not having a problem so far.

george_us

Does Bethesda get off on making shitty UI and convoluted button schemes? Annoyed the hell out of me in Fallout 3/New Vegas and it's even worse here.

Forkball

Pardon the stupidity but I got the dragonshout from
word wall in Bleakfalls Barrow
, but how do I actually equip it an use it?

GeoramA

QP3 said:
You have to talk to a guy in Dragons reach. i forgot his name but he is usually within steps of Jarl Balgruuf. You can purchase furnishing from him. Actually, come to think of it, it should be the same guy you bought the house from
The problem is lack of gold, which is kinda difficult to come by so far.

I should probably take a break from spending so much on training.

Unicorn

PumpkinPie said:
I had a kid in Riverwood say "In all my years I've never seen anything like this".
:lol

26 hours dumped in. Holy fuck. Longest marathon yet. Beat my old record of 19 hours. Sad thing is, I can't wait to spend all of today playing as well.

Jarlaxle

Forkball said:

You have to kill your first dragon. Follow the main quest to do so. You're not far off.

Derrick01

Banned
Forkball said:

You have to kill a dragon and get its soul. Do the next few main story quests and you should be able to use it.

coopolon

TCRS said:
Where can I find out more about the Aldmeri Dominion? Like what happended etc. Is in the two Elder Scrolls books? And about Martins life and how his death ended the Dragonblood line.

The dominion are only vaguely alluded to in the two books. In game the "rising danger" or "rising threat" books (I can't remember which one it is, it's rising something, there's like 4 volumes) explain how the dominion came to be. There's a book called the Oblivion Crisis (in game) that tells Martin's story (basically just tells the story of what happened in Oblivion.)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Banzaiaap said:
Lol! And you didn't notice some kind of performance hitch?
A little here and there. It wasn't anything that really stood out, so I just assumed it was a Bethesda game being a Bethesda game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Forkball said:

You need a dragon soul to unlock its use- kill dragon, acquire soul, apply soul to shout and there's 3 levels to a shout so you can make it extremely more powerful- more souls= more fun

And why are people spoiler tagging the response? It's one thing they've been talking about forever since the first video demo :s

Realyn

Dance In My Blood said:
I think it's a good way to let the player know there are feral werewolfs out there. You're not all going to be buddies.
Well, you are prolly right about that. Just felt like the questline is about taking revenge and stuff like that.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So the "In my time of need" quest (find the redguard woman) is bugged, eh? Jail doors won't open, already paid the fine. Anyone knowing a workaround for that? I wanna continue :(

Bufbaf said:
So the "In my time of need" quest (find the redguard woman) is bugged, eh? Jail doors won't open, already paid the fine. Anyone knowing a workaround for that? I wanna continue :(

Did you
talk to her again after you paid the fine?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
ShallNoiseUpon said:
Did you
talk to her again after you paid the fine?
No! I'll try!

edit: Nope, nothing new there. The guy has to get out of jail first, I guess. Damn Bethesda :(

TheExodu5 said:
I still prefer mouse and keyboard by a longshot. Sure, there's a bit of mouse lag, but it's still way easier than the gamepad. I think the mouse is pretty essential to proper archery.

The menus are a little bit problematic, but navigating them with WSAD, e, Tab works fine.

The sucky part is you can't remap anything or stuff will stop working.

Fortunately I have a G13/G700 combo so I can just remap stuff to what I need it to be without touching in the in game config.

Sh1ner

Played it for about 4 to 6 hours in total, I am a god like pickpocket, soldier turns to me and warns me to keep my hands to myself? you have already lost your 17 steel arrows in your quiver :)
I never buy arrows no more. Just keep thieving the guards!

Possible minor spoiler related to thieving:
Now my problem is I have been thieving pretty much everywhere, no bounty. Haven't been seen but now I keep bumping into hired thugs. There is a contract out on me, I have no idea who is behind the hit. I would like to find this sonofabitch and slide my blade into his neck.

Loving the game, will upgrade my PC and probs buy the collectors edition. Its my GOTY so far!

TheExodu5

Banned
Edvardelis said:
The sucky part is you can't remap anything or stuff will stop working.

Fortunately I have a G13/G700 combo so I can just remap stuff to what I need it to be without touching in the in game config.

There's a mod to fix this. Can't remember the name of it, but I say it on SkyrimNexus yesterday.

I really wish there was an expensive respec option in this game. There are 3 points I really regret distributing, and wish I could take back.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Bufbaf said:
No! I'll try!

edit: Nope, nothing new there. The guy has to get out of jail first, I guess. Damn Bethesda :(
Quoting just in case, things are so fast in here :/

When an enemy goes on a knee, can you do a finishing move on it or something?
Also I'm mad at the fact that unarmed combat doesn't level anything.

Cptkrush

Sh1ner said:
Played it for about 4 to 6 hours in total, I am a god like pickpocket, soldier turns to me and warns me to keep my hands to myself? you have already lost your 17 steel arrows in your quiver :)
I never buy arrows no more. Just keep thieving the guards!

Possible minor spoiler related to thieving:
Now my problem is I have been thieving pretty much everywhere, no bounty. Haven't been seen but now I keep bumping into hired thugs. There is a contract out on me, I have no idea who is behind the hit. I would like to find this sonofabitch and slide my blade into his neck.

Loving the game, will upgrade my PC and probs buy the collectors edition. Its my GOTY so far!

when you kill one, pick up their contract, it will tell you who put out the hit. Not spoilers btw, any of the NPC's can hire thugs to come after you after stealing from them, or in my case, murdering their wife.

Arjen

FuzzyNorman said:
How is everyone getting so much gold? I have been playing for 10 hours or so, but I only have 1500 gold.

Go in a random dungeon, kill, loot, and sell.
Rinse and repeat.
I got a fully furnished house in about 12 hours of playtime

Cptkrush

Arjen said:
Go in a random dungeon, kill, loot, and sell.
Rinse and repeat.
I got a fully furnished house in about 12 hours of playtime
Also, dragons give like 500 or so gold when you kill them too, and I've come across 5 or 6 since the beginning of the game. And their bones and scales fetch a nice price at general stores.

Enco

Bufbaf said:
Quoting just in case, things are so fast in here :/
I thought the same thing. The door isn't meant to open.

Talk to the guard, pay the money and then talk to the guy in jail. He'll ask to be freed after.

Lakitu

st5fu
It took me a while to get the gold to buy a house and furnish. But it was worth it. Went to a few dungeons and sold loot I didn't need as well as doing some quests.

Where do you guys get dogs from?

Jesus, I'm pretty much powerless against any groups of pure magic, especially the ones that shoot fire from afar. That's 3 side missions I can't do yet, fuck.

Bufbaf said:

You just have to talk to the jailed guy again. He's still jailed up for a reason. It isn't bugged.

mike23

Dance In My Blood said:

One weird thing though, was that I saw this the other day.
0Q1TY.jpg

Which was weird because half of it should be open. Somehow my controller was activating FRAPS video recording and I had like 500 gigs of Skyrim movies on my PC.

rofl. I just checked and the same thing happened to me. I was using the keyboard and mouse though. Just checked fraps, it's set to F9 for movies. So every time I quickloaded it started/stopped a video.

styl3s

So i got the ward spell people suggested but mage/casters still completely destroy me in like 2 hits.

is there some perk or something that can help? maybe i should just re-roll a character with heavy armor

Lyonaz

Bufbaf said:
No! I'll try!

Just talk to the prisoner and tell him you paid, he will talk and then watch him talk with the guard for some fun. You did pay the fine right?

Forkball said:
did see a respond, but you have to kill dragons to obtain Dragon Souls. When in the Shout menu hightlight an darken shout and you can unlock them.

Mothman91

Cptkrush said:
Also, dragons give like 500 or so gold when you kill them too, and I've come across 5 or 6 since the beginning of the game. And their bones and scales fetch a nice price at general stores.
Wouldn't you need those to make dragon armor!? Although I'm that close in the game to make that kind of armor, it would make sense for those material to make that armor...

Lakitu

st5fu
Haha, brilliant. This has probably been pointed out but I went into White River Watch, a place full of nasty bandits.

I went in,
some blind guy named Ulrf asked if I was Rolaf. I said, yeah. He says the boss wants to see me. Ok then, I see a book on the table, I love books. I find it and it says 'Ulrf's Book.' I open it and it's blank, completely blank. Poor guy.

I love little touches like this. You can tell the devs had fun with this game.

spirity

upJTboogie said:
Jesus, I'm pretty much powerless against any groups of pure magic, especially the ones that shoot fire from afar. That's 3 side missions I can't do yet, fuck.

Be on the lookout for gear that increases resistances. I'm pure melee, no ranged, so stuff like that really comes in handy. I often have to compromise armour rating for resistances, carry weight, stamina etc.

lil smoke

Banned
I wasn't going to get this, but reading the last few pages, made me walk over to GS in my PJs. Ready to hit Whiterun (love the paper map), am in awe of how interested in everything that I see. I cannot avoid wanting to look at stuff. Already immersed. Feels better than Fallout 3 and NV, since I don't know what to expect. Same feeling as Oblivion, a huge world I know nothing about, being that I never understood the story of Oblivion in the first place. I like it that way. I will figure things out as I go.

I am a wood elf also, so I hope to find that commanding animals will be helpful later on.

styl3s

upJTboogie said:
Same here.

Every current mission i have involve mages and they completely fucking wreck me, even with that stupid spell that "blocks" it. i even tried using magic resistant potions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom