• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB said:
I could use a hint on something. I'm in Whiterun (I think), and I need to find a little brat I'm playing hide and seek with, at night. Is she hiding indoors or out? I've searched the town a few times over now.
Anyone know? The kid is good.

styl3s

Decided to go with Brenton for my battle mage.

+10 conj +6 Rest/Alc/Alt is nice plus you get +25% magic resistance and dragonskin as your racial. Yeah i know it doesn't have +1h or +destro but the magi resistance + conjure familar early on really appeals to me.

TheExodu5

Banned
EschatonDX said:
For people doing the theives guild.

Alright i'm trying to poison the mead and when i go deep into the dungeon i get annihilated by bolts of fire from this asshole mage. Am i just trying this too early? He kills me the second i walk in there.

He was really tough for me. I basically shot him with arrows and kept running away. I made him run through a few bear traps, which helped.

Lakitu

st5fu
I was just chilling with Lydia going through the tundra to a cave based on some guard's gossip until
a Dark Brotherhood assassin tried to kill me. And failed. So awesome. He looked like a maniac.

Dresden

styl3s said:
Decided to go with Brenton for my battle mage.

+10 conj +6 Rest/Alc/Alt is nice plus you get +25% magic resistance and dragonskin as your racial. Yeah i know it doesn't have +1h or +destro but the magi resistance + conjure familar early on really appeals to me.
Having 25 conjuration is amazing early on, especially if you grab the Fire Atronach.

VindictiveGnome said:
There is zero romancing. Wanna get married? Yep! That's how it is in Skyrim.
In a land where you can get eaten by a dragon at any time, there is no time for romance. You need to start pumping out offspring immediately.

Quikies83

Blue Ninja said:
For those who like hoarding stuff: find the Steed stone near Solitude in the mountains. Activate it and you'll have 100 extra carry weight and be unhindered by your armor.
Thank you thank you

Reveirg

I'm about 5 hours in the game. As I stated before, this is my first Elder Scrolls game and my first WRPG since... Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance!

Though so far I believe the game is somewhat overrated (such boring combat and dull environments should refrain this game from getting such high marks), I'm still having a nice time and the game IS really huge! I also thought it'd have nicer graphics from what I've heard about the game.

I'm really digging the crafting systems, some of the exploration and character customisation so far. I'm looking forward to the rest of the adventure.

styl3s

Dresden said:
Having 25 conjuration is amazing early on, especially if you grab the Fire Atronach.
Where do you get that? i almost regret picking the Breton now.. i am super torn between Imperial and Breton. The Imperial looks like he is decked out to be a battlemage he has +10restro, +5destro, +5 1H, +5 block (if you wanna do shield/destro) and +5 heavy armor.

ARG i cant decide.. i really like how breton has the +25% magi resist and the dragonskin racial but the imperial looks like it has far better starting stats.

rexor0717

Reveirg said:
I'm about 5 hours in the game. As I stated before, this is my first Elder Scrolls game and my first WRPG since... Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance!

Though so far I believe the game is somewhat overrated (such boring combat and dull environments should refrain this game from getting such high marks), I'm still having a nice time and the game IS really huge! I also thought it'd have nicer graphics from what I've heard about the game.

I'm really digging the crafting systems, some of the exploration and character customisation so far. I'm looking forward to the rest of the adventure.
Nah.

Enco

I love this game so much. The only game where people seem like people and communities feel like communities. I would say this is my top game of all time. That being said, some complaints:

- Copy and paste taverns
- Copy and paste houses
- People not reacting to bodies being dragged in front of them
- Glitches
- Stupidly slow walking speed

Hmm.. I thought I had more complaints but none hit me right now.

Dragnet

EschatonDX said:
For people doing the theives guild.

Alright i'm trying to poison the mead and when i go deep into the dungeon i get annihilated by bolts of fire from this asshole mage. Am i just trying this too early? He kills me the second i walk in there.

I tried this 2 or 3 times before giving up. Leveled up a bit, went and found Lydia and got her to help me out. Was still tough though!

Dresden

styl3s said:
Where do you get that? i almost regret picking the Breton now.. i am super torn between Imperial and Breton. The Imperial looks like he is decked out to be a battlemage he has +10restro, +5destro, +5 1H, +5 block (if you wanna do shield/destro) and +5 heavy armor.

ARG i cant decide.. i really like how breton has the +25% magi resist and the dragonskin racial but the imperial looks like it has far better starting stats.
I think the mage in Whiterun sells it for 300 gold - you can also head to Winterhold and buy it for 30 gold from Faralda.

Conjuration is really powerful early on, the Atronach just destroys everything. I think it's worth going Breton for that; the racials are better as well and +5 to block or one handed are stuff that can be easily trained up by yourself.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Enco said:
I love this game so much. The only game where people seem like people and communities feel like communities.

How so? It really isn't that much different than Oblivion in that regard.

zlatko

Banned
Where is that Red Guard woman those guys are looking for in White Run at? I have stumbled around the place quite a bit, but never run into her. :(

Dresden

zlatko said:
Where is that Red Guard woman those guys are looking for in White Run at? I have stumbled around the place quite a bit, but never run into her. :(
It's the inn, look for the bar wench there.

Kwixotik

zlatko said:
Bannered Mare

Anyone know if quest rewards are level-scaled?

Enco

_tetsuo_ said:
How so? It really isn't that much different than Oblivion in that regard.
I loved Oblivion too haha.

It's just so huge and there's so much to do. Some of the scenery is jaw dropping and the quests that I have done have all been very fun. The radiant quest system also surprised me. I thought it would be a load of rubbish but it has actually been very interesting and fun.

GhaleonEB said:
Anyone know? The kid is good.
The
ghost?
. If so, go
up the cliff behind the burnt down house. You'll find a coffin and a woman
. Amazing quest.

The snow effects are really well done. I was on my way to the first dungeon and had to climb a mountain. It started snowing and when I was halfway up it was a full on blizzard and I was about to shield my eyes from the snow in real life so i could see better :)

styl3s

Dresden said:
I think the mage in Whiterun sells it for 300 gold - you can also head to Winterhold and buy it for 30 gold from Faralda.

Conjuration is really powerful early on, the Atronach just destroys everything. I think it's worth going Breton for that; the racials are better as well and +5 to block or one handed are stuff that can be easily trained up by yourself.
Do you think heavy armor is viable for the brenton? the thing about conjuration is i am not very good at managing all that stuff like summoning stuff etc.

is the summoning stuff even viable later on?

Visceir

People who are having problems with learning new shouts...check the controls in the bottom of the page. PC people use R to place dragon souls into shouts.

My stealth archer woodelf is lvl 23 now and quite badass. Almost 80 archery and about the same in stealth. At 80 archery I will get 20% more dmg and I just got a hood that gives me 35% more dmg with bows instead of the 20% I'm rocking right now.

Been mainly focusing on the thief guild and dark brotherhood guild quests. The thief guild took an interesting turn and I got a really badass armor from them...kinda looks like batman, with cape and all, haha. Pic:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/gotty_02/TESV2011-11-1315-47-07-28.jpg

Currently one of my favorite quests/moments in the game has been when I had to
figure out how to copy text from a stone wall, I thought "o hey, I saw some charcoal and paper, I wonder if that would work"... and it did!

zlatko

Banned
Dresden said:
It's the inn, look for the bar wench there.

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. :)

20 hours, and I've pretty much stuck to only doing things in and directly around around White-Run.

Game is soooooo goooooood.

VindictiveGnome said:
The most hilarious thing just happened to me. I'm waiting to attend my wedding and people start coming in. Guess who made a surprise appearance? Lydia's dead corpse! I left her in a dungeon forever ago. Haha! It immediately says I failed to attend my wedding when her dead body shows up at the door.

Who did you marry? I need me a woman.

Well, that isn't what I expected to happen.

Quest in Whiterun to wipe out the
Alik'r
for
My Time of Need

I was able to claim I knew where they were, even though I shouldn't have. Turns out they're in
Swindler's Den
and I "knew" the location because I discovered it on the map and wiped out all the generic bandits that lived in the place. Naturally, it respawned with quest mobs from one end to the other.

Reveirg said:
I'm guessing it gets better then?

In comparison to oblivion or any other game of this size (just cause 2 lol) the environments are nice and varied. I have only been to two different dungeons so I don't know if they repeat themselves later but they were so intricate and detailed (aside from the textures which will be modable on pc) But if this is your first western rpg in 10 years I am not sure what you were expecting, it is better than most games out there in that respect.

Dresden

styl3s said:
Do you think heavy armor is viable for the brenton? the thing about conjuration is i am not very good at managing all that stuff like summoning stuff etc.

is the summoning stuff even viable later on?
Dunno how it stacks up later on, but people have been saying that it's powerful.

Managing things is a cinch because you seem to be able to only keep one summon out. So summon -> then go to town with your axe.

Dommel

This game is unbelievable, I started the Netlebane quest 7 hours ago.

Just finished it after clearing out multiple dungeons and forts, slaying dragons, picking up even more quests and leveling up all because around every corner there's something interesting to do or see before you reach your actual destination.

The actual quest took maybe 15-20 minutes, the other 6 hours and 40 minutes were spent just walking around and exploring.

FStop7

Banned
"Hey, Lydia! I found this neat old treasure map. Looks like it leads to somewhere right outside of Winterun. Wanna check it out?"

"Heck yeah!"

Moments after getting out of town and starting up the mountain I hear noise and think "That sounded kind of like a dra---" *immediately a frost dragon drops from the sky, lands directly in front of me, and blasts me with its stupid smelly dragon breath*

Next 5 minutes, me and Lydia fighting it out with the dragon as it attacked the outskirts of Winterun.

Whoever scripted out the random dragon encounters did a hell of a job. The music cues are timed perfectly to when the fight begins and ends. The dragons also look incredible when they take to the air and start strafing the hapless villagers and buildings with their breath.

Tucah

you speak so well
Enco said:
The
ghost?
. If so, go
up the cliff behind the burnt down house. You'll find a coffin and a woman
. Amazing quest.

A woman is standing by the coffin? I found the coffin but when I try to "activate" it nothing happens, no woman nearby either.

styl3s

Dresden said:
Dunno how it stacks up later on, but people have been saying that it's powerful.

Managing things is a cinch because you seem to be able to only keep one summon out. So summon -> then go to town with your axe.
The only thing is how am i going to split perks into Destro, 1H, Conjur and Heavy armor? and restro for healing? do i not just worry about destro?

i was more wanting to play a burn and hack with the ability to heal fast on the spot. Maybe ill just spend a few hours playing the brenton to see if i can get into it, im off till thursday so i have plenty of time to play around.

GhaleonEB

Blue Ninja said:
Damn, wish I knew. Buy yourself a "Detect Life"-spell. :lol
The kid is a ghost. Not sure that would work. :lol

I was attacked by an assassin carrying a note from the Dark Brotherhood. I'm going to take it as a compliment about my handiwork. :D

Houses and shops actually have stuff worth stealing this time around. Good grief!

Reveirg

arts&crafts said:
In comparison to oblivion or any other game of this size (just cause 2 lol) the environments are nice and varied. I have only been to two different dungeons so I don't know if they repeat themselves later but they were so intricate and detailed (aside from the textures which will be modable on pc) But if this is your first western rpg in 10 years I am not sure what you were expecting, it is better than most games out there in that respect.

Yeah, I wasn't comparing it to other WRPGs.

Just to be clear though, the simple fact that I'm enjoying this kind of game right now is a huge feat by Bethesda!

zlatko

Banned
Dresden said:

I'm about to hit level 20, and Conjuration with my Breton is amazing.

Double cast my flame buddy, double cast a bound sword, and then put healing on the other hand.

The bound sword is not effected by Stamina at all so you can just go whacking crazy while you hold down heal. Your flame helper just sits back and slings serious damage, and if they are foolish enough to go take him out he then detonates upon death for splash damage to the area.

I can't wait to get Conjuration maxed out so I can have two flame helpers or god like zombies helping me at all times + Lydia. My army will be unstoppable. Oh and if shit gets hairy, you can just start running away casting flame/ice/lighting traps at your feet, so when w/e walks over it they take lots of damage. That's how I kited and killed Mammoths at like level 14 or 15 along with my flame buddy, as well as the Giants next to them.

:D

Zeliard

Companions guild spoilers:

I'm a bit disappointed that they never acknowledged
that I was basically already a Werewolf to an extent, since I was cursed with Hircine's Ring before meeting the Companions. After doing the blood ritual with them to become a Werewolf, I became uncursed with respect to the ring and was able to put it on and remove it at will. Don't think it affected the Hircine quest either.

I never actually turned into a Werewolf either with the ring. Not sure when that triggers. The item description says "randomly."

kswiston

So I was leaving the college and a dragon skeleton fell out of the sky in front of the main doors to the Halls of elements. I had previously killed a Dragon near the college. Maybe the corpse glitched? Probably the funniest glitch I have had so far.

I am liking the Companions and Arcane college quest-lines a lot better than the fighter's guild and mage's guild stuff from Oblivion. Overall, the quests in this game are an improvement over Oblivion.

GreekWolf

Reveirg said:

Elder Scrolls games are slow burners. You'll almost never hear anyone (new to the series) go crazy over what they're seeing and doing for the first several hours.

When I first played Morrowind, I laughed at the terrible visuals and hopelessly clunky combat. Not to mention the veritable cornucopia of bugs/glitches. I honestly thought everyone was kooky to recommend such a poorly designed game. However, after spending 50 bucks, I begrudgingly decided to plow through it to the very end and get my money's worth. That was 9 years ago. Now, hundreds of hours later, it's become one of my favorite games of all time.

The magic of Elder Scrolls isn't due to anything in particular (visuals, combat, open-world, phat lewts), but rather a culmination, with the freedom to pick and choose your own adventure. You'll experience so many wonderfully, individually amazing and memorable moments, that it becomes very special indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom