• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

CyReN said:
Does getting the
dragon armor
early ruin the game for there on out? I'm a level 10 at the moment.
Did you really grind Smithing for that? :lol
It's just armor there shouldn't be any problem since its not a quest.

Reveirg

GreekWolf said:
Elder Scrolls games are slow burners. You'll almost never hear anyone (new to the series) go crazy over what they're seeing and doing for the first several hours.

When I first played Morrowind, I laughed at the terrible visuals and hopelessly clunky combat. Not to mention the veritable cornucopia of bugs/glitches. I honestly thought everyone was kooky to recommend such a poorly designed game. However, after spending 50 bucks, I begrudgingly decided to plow through it to the very end and get my money's worth. That was 9 years ago. Now, hundreds of hours later, it's become one of my favorite games of all time.

The magic of Elder Scrolls isn't due to anything in particular (visuals, combat, open-world, phat lewts), but rather a culmination, with the freedom to pick and choose your own adventure. You'll experience so many wonderfully, individually amazing and memorable moments, that it becomes very special indeed.

Sounds good, I'll keep on going then! :D

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
More time spent last night and the game still isn't drawing me in. I did some questing in and around Whiterun, wandered a bit, completed some caves and camps, picked up some new spells and got one shot by some witch.

It just seems that all of my time spent has been kind of uneventful. Met no interesting characters, done no interesting quest, found no interesting loot or area. The dragon fight would have been better for me if I hadn't seen it already, I imagine. I don't know if I just haven't found anything yet or if this game is going to be a wash for me until modders hit it up.

Morokh

zlatko said:
The bound sword is not effected by Stamina at all so you can just go whacking crazy while you hold down heal. Your flame helper just sits back and slings serious damage, and if they are foolish enough to go take him out he then detonates upon death for splash damage to the area.

Wait wait wait ! xD do you say double cast bound sword gives you a sword that does more damage ?

And for stamina, seems like only power attacks drains it and Bound sword works like any other sword in that regard.

Anno

Wait, Steam says I'm "so close..." to a particular achievement. That's just...evil. If they keep up with that I'll never be able to quit for yet another reason.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Just sampled this game at a friends. I know people are crazy about the quantity of content and the breadth of this game's world, thats clearly the draw, but I can't make peace with a combat system that feels like baby steps from the kinda first person melee I was doing in Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight in goddam 1997. Its truly terrible.

Level 30 and I just broke the 100 hour mark with 211 locations discovered, 76 dungeons cleared, 70 quests and 129 miscellaneous objectives completed - plus, I've still got a ton of quests and objectives to do (45 to be exact) and only just made it to all of the cities in the game. Skyrim is simply freaking massive, and I've yet to come close to feeling burnt out on the experience. GOTY for me, easily, and that's very surprising given how much I loved Arkham City.

Question about stats. If I am a stealth archer (archery, sneak ,one handed, pickpocketish) what do i put my health in, endurance? or health? I havent needed endurance yet for archery, unless i unlock power attacks later.

Lakitu

st5fu
Oh man, I am so fucked.

Fuck you guard who said I should go to
Shimmermist Cave. Me and Lydia are getting destroyed by some Falmer Overlord and a Dwemer Centurion. The Centurion one hit kills me.

Rad-

styl3s said:
Do you think heavy armor is viable for the brenton? the thing about conjuration is i am not very good at managing all that stuff like summoning stuff etc.

is the summoning stuff even viable later on?

Yes. At 100 conjuration you can get perma summon spells.

zlatko

Banned
Morokh said:
Wait wait wait ! xD do you say double cast bound sword gives you a sword that does more damage ?

And for stamina, seems like only power attacks drains it and Bound sword works like any other sword in that regard.

Double casting does take up more mana to cast it, and the glow seems a little different from what I remember, so I'm guessing it does make it more powerful.

Maybe it was a bug? Not even power attacks were draining my stamina with my bound sword. I was able to just hold it down and unleash my fury without any loss of it. Works great if you end up getting the perk that lets you run and do charged attacks for even MORE damage.

Doctor_20

Banned
zlatko said:
Where is that Red Guard woman those guys are looking for in White Run at? I have stumbled around the place quite a bit, but never run into her. :(

I had no idea where the hell she was but I was doing the main quest and
I found a book in Esbern's room on Things a Man should do in Whiterun... one of the sections explained about how to meet woman in Whiterun... there was a paragraph about a Red Guard woman in some Inn in Whiterun... sure enough it was her! SO COOL. :D

MrBig

Bootaaay said:
Level 30 and I just broke the 100 hour mark with 211 locations discovered, 76 dungeons cleared, 70 quests and 129 miscellaneous objectives completed - plus, I've still got a ton of quests and objectives to do (45 to be exact) and only just made it to all of the cities in the game. Skyrim is simply freaking massive, and I've yet to come close to feeling burnt out on the experience. GOTY for me, easily, and that's very surprising given how much I loved Arkham City.
30? how is that possible? I'm around 30 hours in and I'm at 29, almost to 30 already.

Antagon

I think I've fucked up my character pretty badly. I've mainly focussed on conjuration and illusion spells which is nice when I'm fighting groups of enemies, but one on one I'm getting destroyed. My combat skills are abysmal and destruction isn't much better. Whenever a melee character gets close that's too high lvl to be calmed I'm practically dead.

kswiston

_tetsuo_ said:
More time spent last night and the game still isn't drawing me in. I did some questing in and around Whiterun, wandered a bit, completed some caves and camps, picked up some new spells and got one shot by some witch.

It just seems that all of my time spent has been kind of uneventful. Met no interesting characters, done no interesting quest, found no interesting loot or area. The dragon fight would have been better for me if I hadn't seen it already, I imagine. I don't know if I just haven't found anything yet or if this game is going to be a wash for me until modders hit it up.

Are you trying to be OCD and finish EVERY quest before moving on? I gave up on that and he game has been better for it. Try doing the Main guild quests and the Story quests. Mix in some smaller fetch quests and dungeoneering in moderation.

Clevinger

Antagon said:
I think I've fucked up my character pretty badly. I've mainly focussed on conjuration and illusion spells which is nice when I'm fighting groups of enemies, but one on one I'm getting destroyed. My combat skills are abysmal and destruction isn't much better. Whenever a melee character gets close that's too high lvl to be calmed I'm practically dead.

Do you have a follower/companion yet? Get one, if not.

Zeliard

Antagon said:

Use your Fus shout to stagger them and try to get your pets to distract them. Consider hiring a follower as well.

Remember you can sprint if you hold the ALT button (on PC). Drains stamina but that's not a big issue when you're a mage.

Piecake

Well, i hate you bastards. You all made me cave and buy the game at full price. I hope its as good as you are making it out to me, especially since I thought Oblivion was a huge bore-fest (Morrowind was awesome though)

GhaleonEB

Antagon said:
I think it's good to pair combat skills. I'm primarily an archer, working one-handed on the side for when enemies close distance.

Antagon

Left my companion at home as it felt pretty cheap, but I guess I'll do that and level my destruction a bit. Guess I'll also stop and try to get some hits in with conjured weapons and see if I can get paralyze.

MrBig said:
30? how is that possible? I'm around 30 hours in and I'm at 29, almost to 30 already.

I have no idea. Hell, 30 hours in and I was barely to level 14. Perhaps I've just been exploring and getting sidetracked more than you? I do waste a lot of time in these games, and am obsessive compulsive about finding every bit of loot in dungeons.

With the rooms with the three circular rings and the hand to unlock the door. How do you read the tablets on the walls to figure that out? If done every possible combo I know. I'm in the valen ruins btw

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone know if dual wielded daggers work for backstabs? I see "15x damage", but I'm wondering if it's just on the first hit, or if it works on the full attack.

If it does work, my dual elven daggers would do 750 backstab damage. :eek:

PONGSTAR

Banned
Anyone find the dungeon that requires a silver claw to finish? I completed the quest with the golden claw and the door puzzle looks the same for this one, but it specifically says you need the silver claw. Now I can't remember which dungeon it was either, but it was one of the smaller ones.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
30 hours in and I finally get to fight my first dragon... I'm so fucking glad they decided to make them level with you because that was EPIC AS HELL! Good lord, mage vs dragon = EPIC GANDALF VS BALROG SHIT GOING ON!

Darkman M

Can't believe how good this game is vanilla, gonna burn a personal day tomorrow hit the gym and fuck up some more dragons all day tomorrow.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
styl3s said:
How do you level conj? just by summoning? or can you farm it
Seems to happen most from your summons fighting enemies, or using summoned weapons. You can't just spam your summon in town and level up conjuring though.

styl3s said:
Conj is so easy to farm. Just buy Bound Sword and a pet. Summon your pet, use Bound Sword, then kill your pet. Once your pet is dead, heal (levelling resto at the same time), rince, repeat.

Clevinger

_tetsuo_ said:

Didn't you say a couple days ago that basically everything was terrible and you were quitting until modders fixed it? Why would it be surprising that you can't get drawn in after a reaction like that?

Ri'Orius

Can someone help me understand how character advancement works? I get that using skills levels the skills, and leveling enough skills levels your character. And I get that upon level up, you get +10 to HP, MP or stamina, plus a perk to spend in one of the skill trees, and most perks require your skill to be a certain level.

What I don't get is whether you get any other bonuses for leveling your character or your skills. Does leveling Destruction automatically make my spells hit harder? Does leveling One-Handed make my weapon deal more damage? Are there any bonuses I get just for being level N+1 over level N?

EDIT: Oh, and do your companions level up somehow as well?

I'm really enjoying this game, but I would really appreciate some more transparency in the game mechanics...

I'm pretty sure summoning only counts if you get into combat with your summoned guy still around. I tend to keep a Fire Atronarch up all the time, but I always get the level notification when I encounter an enemy, not when I cast the spell. Same thing with Oakskin for Alteration.

NYR

Are save games supposed to take forever to load on 360 from the main menu (either the continue or load options)? Been sitting here for 5 minutes...

Zeliard

Bound weapons are badass. I like that you can dual wield them as well, though typically I like keeping one hand free for more magic.

Morokh said:

Double-casting Conjuration spells makes them last longer.

Dance In My Blood said:
Seems to happen most from your summons fighting enemies, or using summoned weapons. You can't just spam your summon in town and level up conjuring though.
Like I said, killing your pet with a bound weapon works. You can farm Conjuration/Armor/Restoration(Because he hits you when you attack him), 1 or 2-hand weapon skill that way without the need of enemies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Not feeling the game, the combat system is horrible and I think I screwed up at the beginning because I have to fight the dragon at the watchtower at level 5 and getting killed for it. Should I be doing the whiterun quests like joining the companions first to level up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom