• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

QP3

About to start my 2nd character. Completed the main quest line with my Nord Juggernaut, but now looking forward to exploration/dungeon crawling.

My plan is to do a sneaky archer/assassin wood-elf, with some kind of magic.

Any suggestions on character builds??

Lazy Jones said:
Wtf, game has not even been out 100 hours yet. You played for four days straight?

If he didn't sleep for 3 days straight and didnt eat or take washroom breaks he could be at about 60 hours played. It is probable he got a review copy... or he is jesus

Zeliard

Some of the physics in this game are typically amusing. Seeing a Flame Atronach throw a fireball or a companion shoot an arrow that just sends an enemy flying back has yet to get old. :p

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Clevinger said:
Didn't you say a couple days ago that basically everything was terrible and you were quitting until modders fixed it? Why would it be surprising that you can't get drawn in after a reaction like that?

I did. My initial impression of the game was not great, but I've played games that gave bad first impressions that I went on to love. I am really giving it as much of a chance as I can, and I do want to enjoy it. People just seem to be doing much more interesting things than I am and I'm trying to find it.

Clevinger

Ripclawe said:
Not feeling the game, the combat system is horrible and I think I screwed up at the beginning because I have to fight the dragon at the watchtower at level 5 and getting killed for it. Should I be doing the whiterun quests like joining the companions first to level up?

The first story dragon? He's really easy compared to the other dragons. If you suck at the combat, just lower the difficulty, because you should be able to already kill it.

TheExodu5

Banned
So, again, does anyone know if a dual power attack sneak attack work on the full attack? That would make dual daggers pretty essential for an assassin.

I don't like the Ui in this game, but I can't remember Oblivions for comparison. I think it handled multiple equips better though, using 8 point dpad slots? I have a sword + shield, 2 hander, and a bow. I can't add a dual weapon config for quick access.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Just hit level 16 and I'm just now starting to feel overwhelmed.

It's like whenever I walk into a new city I'm overrun with quests and things to do. I've really gotta take breaks away from the game to think about how I want to move forward.

A bit of the ways into the Thieves Guild, I decided to head to Windhelm to pursue the
Dark Brotherhood
, that introduction quest was pretty damn good :). Now they send me to
Solitude
and the cycle starts all over again.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Zeliard said:
Some of the physics in this game are typically amusing. Seeing a Flame Atronach throw a fireball or a companion shoot an arrow that just sends an enemy flying back has yet to get old. :p

Earlier I tried to attack
the Greybeards...it did not go so well. He did a shout that sent me FLYING into the wall, all the tables and shit flew with me. It was a pretty great death.

NYR

Anyone?

How long is it supposed to take for the game to load on 360?? I have been sitting here for over 10 minutes, won't load, just loops the tips screen.

Truant

My generic "because of the marketing" Nordic viking warrior is kinda boring. I want to start a new dunmer assassin, but I don't want to play through all the boring stuff againnnnn.

kswiston

Zeliard said:

I find it humorous when I get one of those slow-motion kill shots and my character has an arrow or some other projectile clean through his head.

QP3

NYR said:
Anyone?

How long is it supposed to take for the game to load on 360?? I have been sitting here for over 10 minutes, won't load, just loops the tips screen.

I have played 20 hours on 360 and haven't had a load time more than 30-45 seconds.

kswiston

Truant said:
My generic "because of the marketing" Nordic viking warrior is kinda boring. I want to start a new dunmer assassin, but I don't want to play through all the boring stuff againnnnn.

How far are you level-wise? Archery and stealth are pretty easy to skill-up.

Zeliard

Papercuts said:
Earlier I tried to attack
the Greybeards...it did not go so well. He did a shout that sent me FLYING into the wall, all the tables and shit flew with me. It was a pretty great death.

Haha nice.

I've also had a couple of other crazy physics things, which I believe also happened in Oblivion, where I just open the door to some room in a town and various items and shit just go flying. Like a bomb went off in the room.

Durante

It has been repeated a lot, but I have to say again how awesome playing a pure caster is in this game. I'm going with mostly conjuration and destruction, with a bit of restoration and alteration on the side, and it feels really satisfying to buff yourself before a hard fight, summon your minions, lay your traps and mostly just defend and cast a bolt or two while watching the actual battle unfold. And almost every new spell you get opens up new possibilities.

You can talk about the improvements to dungeon design, character art style or environments all you want, but considering how horribly boring magic was in vanilla Oblivion I believe it's actually the single greatest improvement in TES V.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TheExodu5 said:
Anyone know if dual wielded daggers work for backstabs? I see "15x damage", but I'm wondering if it's just on the first hit, or if it works on the full attack.

If it does work, my dual elven daggers would do 750 backstab damage. :eek:
Hoping it does work because that's where I'm headed. Where can I get those daggers, btw?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, I just had an assassin try to kill me with a DB note on him. Does this signify the start of the Dark Brotherhood quests?

Also, I haven't ever heard of the thieves guild yet. As far as my level 18 dunmer is concerned, there is not thieves guild in Skyrim. Can somebody clue me in to where I can find the beginning thread for these two guilds? General town, preferably?

Greg

NYR said:
Anyone?

That happened to me on PS3 when I used fast travel - it just hung on the tips screen and I just reset the system after 5 minutes of reading tips.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
WanderingWind said:
Okay, I just had an assassin try to kill me with a DB note on him. Does this signify the start of the Dark Brotherhood quests?

Also, I haven't ever heard of the thieves guild yet. As far as my level 18 dunmer is concerned, there is not thieves guild in Skyrim. Can somebody clue me in to where I can find the beginning thread for these two guilds? General town, preferably?
Thieves guild stuff starts in Riften.

Dresden

Truant said:
It's only like ten minutes long. Sucks we have to do it again but I've done it three times now and you can just sprint through most of it.

kswiston

WanderingWind said:

Go to Riften

Edit: Beaten :p

Clevinger

Durante said:
It has been repeated a lot, but I have to say again how awesome playing a pure caster is in this game. I'm going with mostly conjuration and destruction, with a bit of restoration and alteration on the side, and it feels really satisfying to buff yourself before a hard fight, summon your minions, lay your traps and mostly just defend and cast a bolt or two while watching the actual battle unfold. And almost every new spell you get opens up new possibilities.

Yeah, that's definitely my favorite part of the game. So much so that it's almost annoying, because I have trouble specializing in just one or two schools of magic when all of them feel interesting and fun.

WanderingWind

Dance In My Blood said:
Thieves guild stuff starts in Riften.

Thanks. I haven't even found that place yet...but I will look for it now!

25 hours in, and I haven't really done shit beside smith and pick flowers and shit. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

NYR

Greg said:
That happened to me on PS3 when I used fast travel - it just hung on the tips screen and I just reset the system after 5 minutes of reading tips.
Okay. Got it to work. Only my last save is corrupted, my other saves are working. Lost 4 minutes, no biggie.

Thanks guys!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dresden said:
It's only like ten minutes long. Sucks we have to do it again but I've done it three times now and you can just sprint through most of it.
If you're on PC you can use this: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=17

Just discovered this perk in the Illusion tree...
Quiet Casting:
All spells you cast from any school of magic are silent to others.

Requirements:

Kindred Mage
Illusion Level 50
*sigh* There's another tree I'm gonna need to invest in. Damn you, Skyrim!

TheExodu5

Banned
Hawkian said:
Hoping it does work because that's where I'm headed. Where can I get those daggers, btw?

One of the earlier story quests, you can steal the daggers from the innkeeper, though you may not be able to without the Steal Weapon pickpocketing perk.

kswiston

WanderingWind said:

25 hours in, and I haven't really done shit beside smith and pick flowers and shit. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Bottom right of the world map. You could just take the horse buggy at any Stable if you don't think of that as cheating.

Just met my future wife. Ysolda in Whiterun. This chick digs the kitty. All I had to do was slay a mammoth and give her the tusk.

Her: "So ...are you interested in me?"
Me: "Yes. Yes I am."

Won

Truant said:

I just ditched my warrior style guy and rushed through most I have done already. Goes by rather quickly.

Oh Boethia is such a dick, even for a Daedric prince.
For her quest you have to bring her a follower to be sacrificed. I nearly took Lydia, until I remembered the companions you can hire for 500 gold in various inns

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmmm. I've been avoiding stealing for the most part. I guess I can make an exception if there's really no other way... :p

Just need an upgrade from this steel. My claws are still more powerful.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
WanderingWind said:

Helpful thing about getting around the world is the stables in front of some of the major towns. Makes it very easy to get across the world quickly even if you haven't been over there yet.

cdyhybrid

Argh waiting to upgrade my machine has me theorycrafting characters I want to play.

A Conj/Dest Mage that uses Atronachs and bound weapons.
A thief/archer/dagger dual wield/alchemist Bosmer.
A heavy armor/2H/Conj death knight-type character that uses the Necromancy-focused Conj spells.

Why do computers have to be so expensive -_-

QP3

PumpkinPie said:
Have you installed the game?? Mine are nowhere near that long.

No I haven't. And honestly, about 90% are 10-15 seconds, but usually when I first load my game it takes a bit longer.

Gav47

Does anyone know an online store that has the Collectors edition guide in stock, cant find them anywhere. I wonder if they're doing a reprint.

WanderingWind

kswiston said:
Bottom right of the world map. You could just take the horse buggy at any Stable if you don't think of that as cheating.

Thanks for the tip. (Fast travel is cheating...carts are not, but they are for the weak and elderly. Also, bretons.)

I just ran across a troll fighting two spriggans and an ice wraith. Then, I heard a dragon roar, swoop down over the mountains, blast the ever-loving shit out of all of them, then turn on me. I chugged an resistance to frost potion, darted between rock outcropping while peppering him with firebolts before rushing in with my personally-created axe, leaping on top of his head and delivering a flurry of blows that sent him to the afterlife.

I had to turn the game off for a bit, because nothing was going to top that for a little while.

GavinGT

Banned
cdyhybrid said:
Argh waiting to upgrade my machine has me theorycrafting characters I want to play.

A Conj/Dest Mage that uses Atronachs and bound weapons.
A thief/archer/dagger dual wield/alchemist Bosmer.
A heavy armor/2H/Conj death knight-type character that uses the Necromancy-focused Conj spells.

Why do computers have to be so expensive -_-

The game looks pretty fucking good on 360 and was obviously more heavily QAed. If you can stand to be without mods, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom