• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
Hell yeah!

Regarding the
Dwemer Centurion and Falmer battle in Shimmermist Grotto. I got them bitches! I told Lydia to wait a bit further back because she just kept on dying. So I took on the Falmer guy first while using restoration constantly and my Skyforge Steel Greatsword for combat. Took him down, then the Dwemer Centurion wouldn't go down easy. It must have took me 10 minutes to defeat him, spamming the hell out of restoration and hiding. But I got them in the end. Now I have a shit ton of Dwemer and Falmer loot.
I feel good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Corky said:
It's funny, even though I'll normally be happy to steal everything in sight and reap all the benefits, something about this game has made me want to be an honest assassin rather than a cutpurse.

cdyhybrid

GavinGT said:
The game looks pretty fucking good on 360 and was obviously more heavily QAed. If you can stand to be without mods, that is.
I know it'll be a while before the really juicy mods start coming out but I don't wanna double dip. Although I suppose I could just sell it back when I upgrade my machine?

Edit: I know there have been complaints shit the UI on PC. Is navigating the UI on console smooth? Switching weapons, etc? I guess overall what I'm asking is am I missing out on anything in the current state of the game by going console? I plan to switch to PC once I upgrade my machine later.

Koomaster

CaptYamato said:
How does this play on PS3? Also, how does the third person view look? Is still weird like in the last game?
Plays fine but there seems to be a delay on the menu system sometimes. I have heard there is a patch already out, I don't know if that's only for 360 or even if it is addressing this problem. It's not too big of a deal tho imo.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
JumpingTheGun said:
The Lovers' Blessing + Pickpocketing = extremely quick leveling.
Leveling up quickly in aspects of the game that aren't combat can kind of be a pain though. The enemies will scale up and when it comes time to fight them your most valuable asset is...pickpocketing.

Holy shit. That quest that starts when you have a drink in Rorikstead ended quite unexpectedly.
I found the guy I had a drink with, and he then revealed he was Sanguine. I never saw it coming, and I usually could see the Daedric Quests in this game from a mile away. :lol

Yo Gotti

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Leveling up quickly in aspects of the game that aren't combat can kind of be a pain though. The enemies will scale up and when it comes time to fight them your most valuable asset is...pickpocketing.

Lol, exactly.

This game does a really good job of making it so that if you exploit or power level, your other skills are going to be left behind. Getting the essential perks for the combat/armor/magic skills will be that much harder once you realize how much you need them.

styl3s

Alright so i take it back this conjure stuff is pretty goddamn incredible, i bought the conjure sword thing and it's awesome, i just need to dump points into mana and get regen cause it uses a buttload.

also how do you activate you racial thing? mine is reduce magic damage by like half for 60 seconds but i have no idea how to actually activate it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
JumpingTheGun said:
there's no better way to play and earn a steady income. i just bought a house dammit.
Yeah, if you want a house you got to be a thief. Fucking system is rigged by the jarls to keep the peasents In hovels so they can more easily be picked off by draugers and bone break fever. Why? Just so those fat jarls can buy up property to expand their domain. Well fuck that shit.

#OccupySkyrim

Zeliard

styl3s said:
Alright so i take it back this conjure stuff is pretty goddamn incredible, i bought the conjure sword thing and it's awesome, i just need to dump points into mana and get regen cause it uses a buttload.

also how do you activate you racial thing? mine is reduce magic damage by like half for 60 seconds but i have no idea how to actually activate it.

Activate it like you would any other spell then on PC you hit Z. Dunno what it is on gamepads. It's the same button as the Shout.

You can only have one Shout or Racial Power activated at a time.

epmode

cdyhybrid said:
Edit: I know there have been complaints shit the UI on PC. Is navigating the UI on console smooth? Switching weapons, etc? I guess overall what I'm asking is am I missing out on anything in the current state of the game by going console? I plan to switch to PC once I upgrade my machine later.
After playing around with both control types, the UI visual design makes more sense on a controller and there are a few niggles with choosing stuff in the PC version. BUT the PC version has keyboard commands for just about everything in the UI so I barely use a mouse in the menus at all. On top of that, the PC version allows you to set hotkeys to items and spells which makes being a pure mage a thousand times better than with a controller.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SCHUEY F1 said:
What are the ingredients for a healing potion?

Wheat + something starting with a b. the alchemy store owner in Whiterun tells you.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
WanderingWind said:
Yeah, if you want a house you got to be a thief. Fucking system is rigged by the jarls to keep the peasents In hovels so they can more easily be picked off by draugers and bone break fever. Why? Just so those fat jarls can buy up property to expand their domain. Well fuck that shit.

#OccupySkyrim
Not really. I haven't stolen a thing and I'm at 6000 gold, 14 hours in. I haven't been stingy with my gold either.

Derrick01

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
there's no better way to play and earn a steady income. i just bought a house dammit.

Seriously playing as a thief character always leads to the most loot and money, it's almost not fair. I've already stolen close to 4000 items in 21 hours, bought a house for 5000 and still have about 4000 left :lol

I just stumbled on a vampire lair too on my way to the 7000 steps, I may be fucked here...

RyanDG

Suffered my first hard lock up. I was mixing alchemy ingredients in my home and after combining to of them, the game froze up. I was getting such good performance out of the game up to that point that I had been neglecting my saves. Fortunately my auto save wasn't too far back, it just means that I'm going to have to be more diligent again.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Doing one of the early companion quests right now where you are tasked to go get
that weapon fragment with Farkas, and you get trapped and he gets surrounded... and then... yea I did not expect that. I said "DAAAAAMMMNN!!!!". I fucking really love the companions now. This game is so great.

Durante

epmode said:
On top of that, the PC version allows you to set hotkeys to items and spells which makes being a pure mage a thousand times better than with a controller.
As a pure mage I love the PC controls, I just wish I could hotkey stuff to shift+numbers as well as just the numbers. Need more hotkeys!

Regarding gold, I make most by selling the robes of enemy mages. 1 dungeon = 30 robes = ~4500 gold.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Derrick01 said:
Seriously playing as a thief character always leads to the most loot and money, it's almost not fair. I've already stolen close to 4000 items in 21 hours, bought a house for 5000 and still have about 4000 left :lol

I just stumbled on a vampire lair too on my way to the 7000 steps, I may be fucked here...
I've not stolen anything and currently have 12000 gold with a fully upgraded house in Whiterun
3AQmK.gif

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Derrick01 said:

Is there any penalty for stealing other than when you are caught?

Is there something else than a dog you can have as a third companion? I had the dog you can buy in Markarth with me for a while, but now he seems to have disappeared and I don't feel like reloading an earlier save.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Finished the Nightingale chain last night, pretty neat stuff.

(The writing still leaves something to be desired but eh I'm good at tuning out the cliches at this point)

I wish the armor had better magical bonuses though, Illusion on the hood? What? What kind of ninja sniper assassin uses illusion except for clairvoyance.

(It looks so boss though. Shadowcloak ftw.)

RyanDG

Halycon said:
Finished the Nightingale chain last night, pretty neat stuff.

(The writing still leaves something to be desired but eh I'm good at tuning out the cliches at this point)

I wish the armor had better magical bonuses though, Illusion on the hood? What? What kind of ninja sniper assassin uses illusion except for clairvoyance.

Muffle, Invisibility, Pacify, and the Fury/Mayhem line all do well for me with a sneaky assassin build.

Haly

RyanDG said:
Muffle, Invisibility, Pacify, and the Fury/Mayhem line all do well for me with a sneaky assassin build.
Don't those spells overlap with Sneak? I mean I pretty much get all of that except Fury/Mayhem by having high sneak.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Halycon said:

Me. Or at least I will be after looking over the tree and some of the spells. Can't wait to start leveling it honestly.

Muffle - You move more quietly for 180s.
Invisibility - Caster is invisible for 30s. Activating an object or attacking will break the spell.

Quiet Casting - All spells you cast from any school of magic are silent to others
Mmm.

Halycon said:
Don't those spells overlap with Sneak? I mean I pretty much get all of that except Fury/Mayhem by having high sneak.
Depends how invisible you want to be I suppose!

Irish

Mattdaddy said:
Doing one of the early companion quests right now where you are tasked to go get
that weapon fragment with Farkas, and you get trapped and he gets surrounded... and then... yea I did not expect that. I said "DAAAAAMMMNN!!!!". I fucking really love the companions now. This game is so great.

Fuck yeah, that was a badass mission.

I also found Togepi in that dungeon.

070415togepi.jpg

4RB0u.png

I saved my game and took one of the followers in the first town out in the wild and killed him just to see if magically the game would put a bounty on my head like oblivion. At first when i killed him it said "The only witness to your crimes has died, bounty = 0" and i was so happy!
Than i walked into town and everyone started attacking me and i frowned :(

bengraven

Sorry if this has been answered, but are the three guys in the Ratway necessary for a quest? I go down there to meet the thieves and suddenly I'm attacked by all three of them. I heard the first two muttering evil secrets, but the third guy just came out of a room and attacked me with his fists. Name was Gian the Fist.

I'm confused as to why these people attacked me and hope they're not important.

16 hours in and level 15. I have only been to two cities in the game so far... Its insane to think the game is really *that* large. Wow.

Looking like completing it (for me) is to be a 200-300hr task.

kswiston

WanderingWind said:
That will get you the most basic house in the game.

Paid for about half my starter house by selling mage cloaks. 1lb a piece means you can go on a mage killing spree and carry back 50-100 at a time.

Haly

bengraven said:
Sorry if this has been answered, but are the three guys in the Ratway necessary for a quest? I go down there to meet the thieves and suddenly I'm attacked by all three of them. I heard the first two muttering evil secrets, but the third guy just came out of a room and attacked me with his fists. Name was Gian the Fist.

I'm confused as to why these people attacked me and hope they're not important.
No, they're just random vagabonds. The thieves' guild proper is further in.

You can recognize them by their Metal Gear Solid armor.

I don't know how you guys have money problems. I had the full house in Whiterun before I even left it. And now I have some 32k and I'm thinking of buying another house in Riften (place is gorgeous).

styl3s

Zeliard said:
Activate it like you would any other spell then on PC you hit Z. Dunno what it is on gamepads. It's the same button as the Shout.

You can only have one Shout or Racial Power activated at a time.
ohhh ok i kept trying to cast it and put it in my hand.

i went 12+ hours on my first character having no idea, now i re-rolled this character and i want to use it often because of those damn casters.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Blue Ninja said:
Holy shit. That quest that starts when you have a drink in Rorikstead ended quite unexpectedly.
I found the guy I had a drink with, and he then revealed he was Sanguine. I never saw it coming, and I usually could see the Daedric Quests in this game from a mile away. :lol

Yeah, I loved that, was caught off guard completely. And the weapon from that quest is always fun to use.

Started this yesterday. Went through the opening...kind of meh. Got a quest to go somewhere...found a cave on the way. Spent six hours in cave sneaking and murdering. Remembered why I love these games.

How many factions can I join? I am pursuing Dark Brotherhood, but I would like to do as many factions as I can. In Oblivion I think I managed to go through each guild + the dark brotherhood with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom