• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atrus

Gold Member
bengraven said:
Sorry if this has been answered, but are the three guys in the Ratway necessary for a quest? I go down there to meet the thieves and suddenly I'm attacked by all three of them. I heard the first two muttering evil secrets, but the third guy just came out of a room and attacked me with his fists. Name was Gian the Fist.

I'm confused as to why these people attacked me and hope they're not important.

I killed them and there's some talk about how you found getting there that I took to imply that these buggers were supposed to die in most cases.

The sewers are a place for undesirables to live in as well and there appears to be a dungeon behind the guild with more bandit like people.

I was fighting the first dragon and did most of the damage but than some douche steals the kill. Did I lose a lot of exp or did I get the same amount had I landed the last blow?

Nothing more eerie than dragon roars echoing in the night sky.

Lion Heart said:
I was fighting the first dragon and did most of the damage but than some douche steals the kill. Did I lose a lot of exp or did I get the same amount had I landed the last blow?
Since there's no EXP, the only thing you lost is the experience to your weapon skills you would've gained from hitting your opponent once.

JumpingTheGun said:
Just met my future wife. Ysolda in Whiterun. This chick digs the kitty. All I had to do was slay a mammoth and give her the tusk.

Her: "So ...are you interested in me?"
Me: "Yes. Yes I am."

I seem to have encountered a bug in this regard. Spoilering some of it.

I approached her before doing the marriageable stuff. She told me that
if I gave her a mammoth tusk she'd teach me how to get better prices in mercantile stuff. I assumed this meant I'd get a free speech boost, or a perk in haggling.
I completed the quest, she thanked me and told me as promised she was going to give me that thing, and then I got absolutely nothing. Not sure what gives, here. Anyone else encountered this?

EDIT: I figured out how to fix it. The problem was I had more than one of the item in my inventory. If you only have one, you'll get the quest reward. Obviously this is a bug, but the workaround is SELL ALL BUT ONE FIRST. Hope this helps.

Lion Heart said:
You don't get experience points in Skyrim. You gain levels by having increasing your skills, which happens simply by using them.

bengraven

Halycon said:
No, they're just random vagabonds. The thieves' guild proper is further in.

You can recognize them by their Metal Gear Solid armor.

I don't know how you guys have money problems. I had the full house in Whiterun before I even left it. And now I have some 25k and I'm thinking of buying another house in Riften (place is gorgeous).

Thanks.

And I agree about Riften being gorgeous. It reminds me of a much smaller version of Vivec but with a gothic stone and wood feel.

RyanDG

Halycon said:
Don't those spells overlap with Sneak? I mean I pretty much get all of that except Fury/Mayhem by having high sneak.

They augment sneak. Muffle will dampen your noise reduction further on top of your sneak bonus. Invisibility + muffle means that you can pretty much walk right up on someone without them knowing it and without sneak being used, it's also great to use in case you get caught if you can get around a corner to cast it real quick as not being based on your sneak skill means its a perfect chance to go invisible followed by sneak to make sure you are in safety.

The fury/mayhem line is one of my favorites, as with the silent casting and mayhem in a group, you can literally watch as your opponents tear themselves apart.

Darkgran said:
It made me turn down sex last night.
42hlfkfrp.gif

Oh wow. I just had the most epic gaming moment of my life!

I was exploring the frost-bitten landscape looking for a long-lost mage staff when the music begins to swell (never a good sign) and out of the sky swoops two fu**ing dragons.

One dragon is scary enough. But two circling my head in ever-closing circles? Holy sh*t!

The first dragon landed with a thump in front of me and roared:

skyrim1.jpg

OK. Time to take this b*tch down. I managed to kill after after a long battle by dodging in-and-out of trees to avoid it's fiery breath while firing lighting and fire at it. Meanwhile, the second was attacking something in the background:

skyrim2.jpg

Out of nowhere a Wooly Mammoths runs by nearly crushing me. I rush through the trees and see two giants repeatedly beating the other dragon around the head with clubs:

skyrim3.jpg

An epic battle between two giants and dragon ensures. Flames and blood fly through the air before finally the dragon succumbed and exploded in flames, giving me a free dragon soul. Nice.

skyrim4.jpg

As I walked away the sun fell behind me over the most beautiful mountainscape in gaming. Simply magic:

skyrim5.jpg

I love this game.

Darkgran said:

To keep the girlfriend / wife happy, agree to sex, press T when it's beginning, choose how long it usually takes, and skip right to the end. Then, back to Skyrim.

Yes, I just made that joke.

TheExodu5

Banned
So...I just got to Smithing 57 and now I can upgrade stuff to Flawless instead of Exquisite. Seems there are some hidden smithing breakpoints.

GhaleonEB

Darkgran said:
I hate this game. It's really bad. Terrible, Terrible game.

I get addicted to games like this something fierce, but even I draw the line there.

Who do I need to talk to in order to buy a house in Solitude? I'm to my 3rd major city and I can't find a house to buy in any of them. The Jarls are worthless when it comes to real estate.

Firebrand

Do daggers have any advantage over say swords and axes when sneaking up on people?

Forkball said:
Is the Bleak Falls Barrows achievement glitched for Steam? I went through there and got the dragon word, what else is there to do?
You get the achievement later as part of another quest. Keep playing.
You'll be sent there as part of the main quest.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
GhaleonEB said:
I get addicted to games like this something fierce, but even I draw the line there.

Who do I need to talk to in order to buy a house in Solitude? I'm to my 3rd major city and I can't find a house to buy in any of them. The Jarls are worthless when it comes to real estate.
For Whiterun, you can buy a house after you become a Thane, which you do by doing all the notable quests the Jarl and his aides give you.

I assume this is the same for each capital city.

(I just remebered I have the
deed to Goldenglow Estate
in Riften. Gonna go check to see if I can make that my home.)
Do daggers have any advantage over say swords and axes when sneaking up on people?
They make no noise, along with bows, whereas swords make moderate noise. It's much easier to get a sneak attack with a dagger but it's also pretty weak.

Although the backstab perk is probably what you're after if you're playing up close assassin. I haven't got it yet, because I stick with arrows, but once I run out of things to level I might give daggers a shot.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Does anyone know if leveling too quickly has drawbacks? I mostly want to know if having the Warrior Stone activated would screw me over. I know they vastly improved the system since Oblivion, but I would like to be sure before it's too late.'

Also, does anyone occasionally get washed out colors on the PC version? Occasionally when I start the game, everything seems bleak. It seems to correct itself after a while, but I'm not sure what could be causing it at first.

GhaleonEB

Halycon said:
For Whiterun, you can buy a house after you become a Thane, which you do by doing all the notable quests the Jarl and his aides give you.

I assume this is the same for each capital city.
Got it. Looks like I have a cave to go clear then. Thanks.

TheExodu5

Banned
So uhh...Blacksmith's Potion doesn't seem to do anything for me. It says it improved armor/weapon improving by 20% for 30 seconds, but the stats end up being no better for me.

Just picked this up yesterday. I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet but finally settled on naming my guy Jaqen H'ghar (aw yeah) for my Dark Elf.

Any word yet on when the 360 install issue will get patched?

Amir0x

Banned
boy this game is so glitchy. Like the entire forge (I mean the hill the skyforge was on) behind the companions longhouse just completely disappeared. It was hilarious because what was left behind was a chest floating in air that I'm sure now I would be able to reach once I figure out how to open the extremely obvious door in the hill. Once the fucking hill reappears, that is. Ghost hills are wtf.

And then earlier when Vilkar or whatever his name is challenged me to a 1 on 1 duel my partner elf guy went into attack mode, making it impossible to complete the challenge since every time my elf attacked him he'd go "Fight me one on one!" and I couldn't call the elf off because it wouldn't allow me to issue any commands to him during the combat. And then when I finally managed to sneak in enough time to get Vilkar one on one, the combat ended... but the elf totally stayed in combat mode and now he keeps following Vilkar around and shooting him with arrows. Like Vilkar is going to sleep and my elf is sitting over his bed laying arrows into him or some shit. And nobody is doing anything in return, they just keep walking around and saying "stop, don't do that!" or something. It's fucking hilarious. Except now I can't get any other companions to join me and my companion is useless. So there's that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, that's it. I'm getting this game today. I was gonna wait for a price drop, but fuck it.

RyanDG

Firebrand said:

Yes. They are the only weapon that's considered quiet when sneaking. Damage wise, no. But specific daggers have some side bonuses that will be helpful. And perks that add to it.

kswiston

Darkgran said:
I hate this game. It's really bad. Terrible, Terrible game.

Live in GF or Wife? They use that as a test. See that you are really enjoying your newest video game. Feel like they are not getting proper attention, and then try to lure you away with the promise of sex. If there was no game, there would be no sex offered.

At least that tactic is better than some alternatives. Like when it all of a sudden becomes critically important for you to do 50 different menial tasks around the house immediately because you are playing a videogame. Never mind that you let your SO sit on the couch reading, or watching TV the day before while you were doing house/yard work.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Firebrand said:

You get the achievement later as part of another quest. Keep playing.
You'll be sent there as part of the main quest.

There's a perk in the sneak tree that makes a sneak dagger attack do 15x damage.

Truant

Halycon said:
Finished the Nightingale chain last night, pretty neat stuff.

(The writing still leaves something to be desired but eh I'm good at tuning out the cliches at this point)

I wish the armor had better magical bonuses though, Illusion on the hood? What? What kind of ninja sniper assassin uses illusion except for clairvoyance.

(It looks so boss though. Shadowcloak ftw.)

What questline is this?

Sephon

Weekend over, and I better go cold turkey now and see if I'll be able to handle work the coming weeks. 32 hours down, and I'm starting to get somewhere in the game now, not far though.

The next step is to marry my woman:
ScreenShot9_Crop.jpg

She's always gazing into my eyes, so I know she'll accept my proposal.

Said goodbye to my teacher who appearently is finish:
Headmaster_Chillin.jpg

Goodbye Skyrim, see you tomorrow!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A bug I found interesting was this:

If you reload after getting caught for a crime, and go to the area where it occured, you'll hear people yelling things like "somebody help!" or "filthy pickpocket" or whatever stock phrases they used as a reaction to your crime.

I like to think of it as getting glimpses of alternate realities.

Anno

Just took down my first dragon. Pretty epic...to the point that I reloaded my save simply to do it again. When the chanting and drums come on and my dude is charging towards a dragon with two swords drawn it's yeah...pretty damned awesome.

Firebrand

RyanDG said:
Yes. They are the only weapon that's considered quiet when sneaking. Damage wise, no. But specific daggers have some side bonuses that will be helpful. And perks that add to it.
Halycon said:
They make no noise, along with bows, whereas swords make moderate noise. It's much easier to get a sneak attack with a dagger but it's also pretty weak.

Although the backstab perk is probably what you're after if you're playing up close assassin. I haven't got it yet, because I stick with arrows, but once I run out of things to level I might give daggers a shot.
Cheers! I'm not really sure what the hell I'm playing actually... at first I intended to go heavy armor + 2h, but somehow I've now ended up sneaking around with a bow in light armor.

syllogism

TheExodu5 said:
So uhh...Blacksmith's Potion doesn't seem to do anything for me. It says it improved armor/weapon improving by 20% for 30 seconds, but the stats end up being no better for me.
It should slightly increase stats when improving items, but not when forging. It definitely works, but I suppose it's possible 20% isn't high enough to make a difference at your skill level.

omg.kittens said:
Okay, that's it. I'm getting this game today. I was gonna wait for a price drop, but fuck it.

I picked mine up at Toys R Us yesterday because they were giving out $20 gift cards with it. I'm not sure if the deal is still going on but it's worth checking out.

I was going to wait for the first round of price drops before getting it because of my horrendous backlog which would land me around the $40 mark so the gift card made it a wash.

Gandie

I think I might've screwed up. I'm in Markart(?) right now, so beware of spoilers!

I got thrown in prison following a quest, that had me discovering a conspiracy inside the city. I helped the rebels escape (mostly to save myself) and now the Jarl is gone and the guards want to arrest me. How do I go about buying houses and doing quests in the city now? Is the rebel leader somewhere in the city?

Darkgran

kswiston said:
Live in GF or Wife? They use that as a test. See that you are really enjoying your newest video game. Feel like they are not getting proper attention, and then try to lure you away with the promise of sex. If there was no game, there would be no sex offered.

At least that tactic is better than some alternatives. Like when it all of a sudden becomes critically important for you to do 50 different menial tasks around the house immediately because you are playing a videogame. Never mind that you let your SO sit on the couch reading, or watching TV the day before while you were doing house/yard work.

Wife of 17 years. Enough said.

TheExodu5

Banned
syllogism said:
It should slightly increase stats when improving items, but not when forging. It definitely works, but I suppose it's possible 20% isn't high enough to make a difference at your skill level.

Yeah, that was the case. Gotta hit those breakpoints.

Anyways, blacksmithing, IMO, is essential to anyone but a mage in this game. You can literally double the stats on an item.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This is getting a tad too much for my OCD-brain... I have 62 active quests (18 main, rest "common") and I'm getting fucking insane. Whenever I try to complete a quest, I get two or three additional ones...

I need some sleep, g'night gaf.

bengraven said:
Sorry if this has been answered, but are the three guys in the Ratway necessary for a quest? I go down there to meet the thieves and suddenly I'm attacked by all three of them. I heard the first two muttering evil secrets, but the third guy just came out of a room and attacked me with his fists. Name was Gian the Fist.

I'm confused as to why these people attacked me and hope they're not important.
They aren't. You need to keep going to get to the Thieves Guild headquarters.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Halycon said:
A bug I found interesting was this:

If you reload after getting caught for a crime, and go to the area where it occured, you'll hear people yelling things like "somebody help!" or "filthy pickpocket" or whatever stock phrases they used as a reaction to your crime.

I like to think of it as getting glimpses of alternate realities.
OT, but I had this weird thing happen to me in Fallout: New Vegas the other day. I got killed by some sneaky ass ghoul, and when my last save reloaded, I was surrounded by fucking sentrybots, who were most certainly not surrounding me when I saved.

These games are weird and buggy like that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wren said:
So is there a skill cap in Skyrim? Or is it possible to level everything to max given enough time?
It's possible to max even skill stat, but not get every perk. There's a level cap of 70.

kswiston

Wren said:
So is there a skill cap in Skyrim? Or is it possible to level everything to max given enough time?

You have limited perks. So, while I am not sure if there is a limit on how many skills you can 100/100, there is probably a limit on how many skills you can effectively master. Not much use having 100/100 conjuration without the perks to use Apprentice/Adept/Master level spells.

LeadGandalf said:
I think I might've screwed up. I'm in Markart(?) right now, so beware of spoilers!

I got thrown in prison following a quest, that had me discovering a conspiracy inside the city. I helped the rebels escape (mostly to save myself) and now the Jarl is gone and the guards want to arrest me. How do I go about buying houses and doing quests in the city now? Is the rebel leader somewhere in the city?

Did you help them kill the guards when they escaped? I just left them to it and have no problems with the guards.

Amir0x

Banned
Yoshichan said:
This is getting a tad too much for my OCD-brain... I have 62 active quests (18 main, rest "common") and I'm getting fucking insane. Whenever I try to complete a quest, I get two or three additional ones...

I need some sleep, g'night gaf.

seriously this is the worst game for OCD people of all time. Every time I talk to someone new I get a new quest to help lace their boots or lick their pussy or cook some fucking roast beef or some shit

doesn't anyone in this goddamn world know how to do their own shit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom