• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokam

GhaleonEB said:
Am I playing this right? I'm trying to level up my archery, my one handed combat, my destruction magic and my sneaking and thievery. I don't know if I'm focusing on too many skills..? I haven't even started any alchemy stuff yet. As in it is more effective just to concentrate on 2 or 3 skills?

From what I've seen of streams and such you can play pretty much anyway you like. Hell the guy on the stream I watch is Light Armor, Smithing, One Hand, Destruction, Resto, Sneak and probably more and he's on expert. Granted it takes him awhile to kill stuff.

Alright, this games fucking awesome, especially when you have the difficulty bumped up one. It presents a lot of challenge that I felt was missing in Oblivion with all the terrible level scaling. It's a lot more subtle with that and there's a real sense of accomplishment with the unique dungeons I've encountered and the relatively entertaining side quests. And I'm level 8! Hopefully my opinion stays through, because I'm already enjoying this far more than Oblivion, it's making me get those Morrowind tickles in a few ways... and I played the shit out of that game.

Regarding the Thieves Guild, near the end...
Vald aggros me whenever I try to talk to the moron, I have his debt repaid and I have the paper to give him but every time I talk to him he just chases after me to kill me.
Is this a bug or as intended? Seems weird.

Amir0x

Banned
I must say they definitely fixed my biggest gripe with Oblivion - the samey and otherwise boring "dungeons" which constituted so much of your missions. The mission design and dungeon design are not spectacular, but it features tons of variety and is generally of the "fairly good" variety.

The main missions all seem to be fantastic, however, and of course the core Guild missions are fucking fantastic.

This game is super glitchy, but there's so much to do it'd be kind of hard to fault them for missing bugs. Still, it's annoying.

Anyway I just did the Smuggler's Den mission or whatever it was, and I killed all those dudes who were going to go after the chick. Which was hard as fuck to do with a bow and arrow on the hardest difficulty, but I did it. Fuck those assholes.

zethren

Banned
OG Kush said:
Am I playing this right? I'm trying to level up my archery, my one handed combat, my destruction magic and my sneaking and thievery. I don't know if I'm focusing on too many skills..? I haven't even started any alchemy stuff yet. As in it is more effective just to concentrate on 2 or 3 skills?

I focus on 1 Handed, Block, Heavy Armor, and light dabbling in Archery and Smithing. Level 17 and it's working out pretty well. I would most definitely recommend more skills than 2 or 3. Just find what you use most frequently and upgrade them with perks.

Orlandu84

Ark said:
This fucking game...

I've been playing over 22 hours and I'm barely anywhere through the main quest line. I keep getting distracted by all the side quests and levelling up my skills.

My only gripe with this game so far is that imo there are far too many different perk tree things for you to level up/choose from.
I've only sunk about 10 hours into the game (yesterday I installed a new cpu and repaired Windows 7 to be fair), but I also keep finding myself being distracted. Several times I've started wandering around aimlessly just admiring the beauty of the game. In regards to the perk trees, it's almost as if they made them too good. There are so many good perks that I want them all! For example, I'm also tempted to level up archery just so that I can kill woodland creatures more easily.

f0rk

GhaleonEB said:
I realized I asked a bunch of questions just now, but one last one: if I joint the Thieves' Guild, where will I be able to sell my stolen goods?

If I have to travel across the map just to sell, I'm going to abandon thieving and work a different strategy for loot accumulation. Solitude is about as far away from Riften as you can get and I'd like to know now whether it's worth the trek. A fence in every town would be ideal.

Yes you can sell stolen stuff to the Thieves' Guild.
You can 'unlock' fences as well, I don't know how many but 2 missions in I now have one somewhere else.

On PC does anyone else have horrible pop in for waterfalls? There's one road in particular which is clearly set up to have you walk down and see this huge multi tiered waterfall but it looks frozen from not that far away when becomes running water as you get closer. The auto detection said I was playing on Ultra but I didn't look at individual settings.

kswiston

OG Kush said:

You can't really excel at everything, but you could pick about a third to half of the skills. You get 70 perks, and not every perk in every tree is needed depending on your play style.

EDIT: I am only level 14 or 15, but I have been using, 1h, light armor, sneaking, archery, lock picking, destruction, and smithing. Might start increasing 1 or 2 more magic schools and then focus on those. Possibly speech as well. I have been pretty stingy with my perks and typically keep 3-5 in reserve in case I want to adjust my play style quickly.

r1chard

negitoro7 said:
If by finish the rest of the quest, you mean going through to the other end of the cave, then yes.
The user interface here fucking sucks. I remember being stumped by this until I realised that there were more dialog options that I needed to scroll down to, including the one that finished the quest.

zethren said:
Bought a house in Whiterun, but for some reason there's a small bedroom on the top floor with a bed that says "owned", and so I can't sleep in it. Who owns a bedroom in my own house!? That one tiny bedroom is nicer than the rest of my house, and I just get a junky bed across the room?

What the heck is going on with that? lol
It's your companion's bed... Lydia's probably

Go to the guy you bought the house from and buy the bedroom package if you want a better room for your house.

Teknoman

Reposting about scrolls, but how do you use them? I have one that sets undead up to level 30 on fire and makes them flee, but I cant use it?

anddo0

Any point to followers other than storage and making the game easier?

I had the girl Lydia? Follow me around and I thought she made the game to easy. She also stole a lot of my kills. Which in turn makes it harder to level certain skills.

zethren

Banned
Houston3000 said:
It's your companion's bed... Lydia's probably

Go to the guy you bought the house from and buy the bedroom package if you want a better room for your house.

Okay, thanks. Wasn't sure if you could make the house look any nicer than it did already. That's awesome to hear.

lol @ my companion having a swankier room than me. :mad:

Olivero

GhaleonEB said:
I realized I asked a bunch of questions just now, but one last one: if I joint the Thieves' Guild, where will I be able to sell my stolen goods?

If I have to travel across the map just to sell, I'm going to abandon thieving and work a different strategy for loot accumulation. Solitude is about as far away from Riften as you can get and I'd like to know now whether it's worth the trek. A fence in every town would be ideal.

You can sell stolen goods to people in the guild itself and in other cities as well. For Solitude,
it will be an Argonian associated with the East Trading Company, but only after you've completed a quest from the Guild itself.

GhaleonEB

f0rk said:
Yes you can sell stolen stuff to the Thieves' Guild.
You can 'unlock' fences as well, I don't know how many but 2 missions in I now have one somewhere else.
So if I want to steal stuff in Solitude, I need to sell it in Riften, on the other side of the world? I've spent all day getting the option to buy a house in Solitude, saw the price, and went on a thieving spree. Now it's sounding like that's not a viable option, since I have to trek across the map to sell stolen merchandise.

This is the first in the long list of what I call "stupid shit" in Oblivion that Skyrim didn't amend. Sort of like how it was stupid that one guard catching you picking the wrong flower in Oblivion would cause the entire world to be after you, there is no way for merchants to know what is stolen and what is not.

Kill someone and no one is there: get away with it.

Steal something and no one is there: everyone knows it's stolen and won't buy it. This makes no sense, Bethesda, and just makes stealing a pain in the rear.

Olivero said:
You can sell stolen goods to people in the guild itself and in other cities as well. For Solitude,
it will be an Argonian associated with the East Trading Company, but only after you've completed a quest from the Guild itself.
Alright, that's good enough. Time to ride to Riften, do quests until I get the fence in Solitude, then ride back to Solitude to resume my crime spree. Thanks for the assistance guys.

brentech

Teknoman said:
Reposting about scrolls, but how do you use them? I have one that sets undead up to level 30 on fire and makes them flee, but I cant use it?
In my short attempt to use one. I believe: equip it like you would a weapon. and then hold the attack button until it fully casts

f0rk

GhaleonEB said:
So if I want to steal stuff in Solitude, I need to sell it in Riften, on the other side of the world? I've spent all day getting the option to buy a house in Solitude, saw the price, and went on a thieving spree. Now it's sounding like that's not a viable option, since I have to trek across the map to sell stolen merchandise.

This is the first in the long list of what I call "stupid shit" in Oblivion that Skyrim didn't amend. Sort of like how it was stupid that one guard catching you picking the wrong flower in Oblivion would cause the entire world to be after you, there is no way for merchants to know what is stolen and what is not.

Steal someone and no one is there: everyone knows it's stolen and won't buy it.

From what Olivero says it sounds like if you follow the Guild quest line you will unlock a fence in Solitude.

GhaleonEB

f0rk said:
From what Olivero says it sounds like if you follow the Guild quest line you will unlock a fence in Solitude.
Yup, saw that and edited. It's still stupid and has no internal logic, in concert with the other game systems or otherwise, but that's a few pegs down the stupid scale and is workable.

Cutwolf

kswiston said:
100? If you go into the skill trees, and highlight the master perk for any school of magic it tells you the requirement.

I was able to use expert level destruction spells before 75, that's why I'm confused. I know that's where the perk is, but I want to know when I'm able to start using those skills.

kswiston

GhaleonEB said:
Alright, that's good enough. Time to ride to Riften, do quests until I get the fence in Solitude, then ride back to Solitude to resume my crime spree. Thanks for the assistance guys.

I take it you are against quick travel?

I have approximately seventeen bajillion side quests right now. The boring, go-here-and-collect-X-of-this-item ones will probably never be completed, or certainly not deliberately, but there are so many interesting ones on there to be cracking on with, in addition to the Thieves Guild main arc and side missions, Dark Brotherhood 'initiation' missions, main quest, civil war quests, and so forth.

Jesus Shitting Christ, I hope I never get bored of this game so I can actually go and do it all!

Fantomex

I am one of those pansies that get motion sickness from FPS sometimes so I always avoided the Elder Scroll series. Skyrim let's me play 3rd person which is really appreciated. Anyhoo, I was able to use real life experiences in the game today. I was in a dungeon, an NPC helping me out, and suddenly this bad guy comes out who is already dead (great) and my NPC starts doing something else rather then help me kill this bastard! Being as I am a battle mage and only level 7 i realized after taking some blows, I was way in over my head. Luckily there was a table there, reminding me of a car in my elementary days. I engaged "QUIT PLAYIN, QUIT PLAYIN" mode as i kited him around the table while spamming flame and shock on his ass. Minutes later the dude was dead, I had the gold and I was thankful that getting chased in grade school benefitted me in some way. Ghetto Hood tactics up in this bitch.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I jumped in last night, played about 3 hours, pretty much dreamed about the game all day. :p

This is going to destroy my life.

kswiston said:

Even if, like me, he's against fast travel, you can take the cart from outside one Hold to any of the other Holds for 20 gold, I believe. It's effectively fast travel but feels a bit less like cheating. If I'm going between two cities close together, or my destination is one I haven't been to before, I like to make the journey and experience everything in between

CyReN

IJqZ2l.jpg

MMaRsu

GhaleonEB said:

Steal something and no one is there: everyone knows it's stolen and won't buy it. This makes no sense, Bethesda, and just makes stealing a pain in the rear.

There is a perk that allows you to sell all loot to all vendors. Weird your crafted stuff shows up as stolen though...

I'm glad I've focused all my combat experience in Archery and Destruction. The Archery skill tree is so awesome.

Are 'words' only in quest dungeons or can you find them from random exploration?

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
blahblah...blah said:
If I'm going between two cities close together, or my destination is one I haven't been to before, I like to make the journey and experience everything in between

I tend to avoid it so I can discover all the things in between, but after I've completed a good deal of the side quests (I'm a completist, clear every cave, do every quest, etc, open up the entire map), I'll start using fast travel to finish it up. Tends to make the game end sooner than you want though. :(

Woorloog

Banned
Cutwolf said:
I was able to use expert level destruction spells before 75, that's why I'm confused. I know that's where the perk is, but I want to know when I'm able to start using those skills.
You can use all spells even with 1 skill if that were possible to have.
You can pick even master locks with 1 skill.
You can improve any weapons/armor without Smithing skill assuming you have the item you intend to improve and necessary mats.
Etc etc.

Lakitu

st5fu
I haven't done the
A Night to Remember quest and I've been to the Whiterun tavern a few times, spoke to people but I was never propositioned a drinking game.
I really want to do it.

So after Shimmermist Cave, I decided to go to Falkreath. I was determined to get there but I was still side tracked. I found this pretty awesome dungeon, don't remember the name, but it reminds me of just how every dungeon I've been to is different. Good job Bethesda. Though, Lydia was having a lot of trouble navigating the dungeon. She kept on fleeing because of the traps or not moving at all.

I got to Falkreath... and there were quests coming up the wazoo. I've already got 2 major quests:
the Werewolf one and the Clavicus Vile quest. I lol'd when Barbas came up and started talking. So I followed him to the shrine, but some bandits were attacking us at Helgen and I lost him. Then I decided to quit for the night. I'll reload a save from earlier.

I'm near 30 hours and I'm level 14. Yet, I still haven't barely scratched the surface in terms of exploration and quests.

Fantomex

I have a question though. I am a mage level 7. I have bought books on spells like Fear, Conjure Familiar, Flame etc. But when I go to the constellation it just tells me to level up in magicka, stamina or whatever. Is there something I am missing? When I click on the constellation and try to level up nothing happens aside from the magicka, stamina or whatever thing.

4132222269_9ecda748ca.jpg

Realyn

Woorloog said:
You can improve any weapons/armor without Smithing skill assuming you have the item you intend to improve and necessary mats.
Etc etc.
Not really, you need a perk to improve magic stuff.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is there a mod to give merchants more (or infinite) gold yet?

I have like 80k worth of loot to sell and nobody to sell it to.

TekDragon

Banned
Well this is disappointing. Without even trying very hard I've managed to trivialize the game.

Smithing + Alchemy + Archery + Sneak = Dead everything. God help Skyrim when I finish leveling enchanting and have 2 rings, a necklace, and 4 pieces of armor - each with +75% archery damage.

Woorloog

Banned
Realyn said:
Not really, you need a perk to improve magic stuff.
Oh, right. Forgot that one.
Smithing is really broken skill. Iron Daggers are too easy to make and give as much exp as Daedric armor does. But Iron Daggers do not need but 1 iron ignot and 1 leather strip. I have some 40ish iron ores, if i smelt them all and make Iron Daggers, i can gain about 20 ranks of Smithing, and a few levels.

Danielsan

I've played 22 hours of this in the last 3 days. Ooh god, what have you done Skyrim. It still feels like a I barely scratched the surface, which is nuts.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
kswiston said:
Must be, but in this case I can't really comprehend why. What's the story Ghaleon? If if you're against it on principle, why not just use it in this one case to rectify what you think is a really stupid error in the game's design?

Realyn

TekDragon said:
Well this is disappointing. Without even trying very hard I've managed to trivialize the game.

Smithing + Alchemy + Archery + Sneak = Dead everything. God help Skyrim when I finish leveling enchanting and have 2 rings, a necklace, and 4 pieces of armor - each with +75% archery damage.
posted this some pages ago

First: I know this game isn´t about combat and I´m still having the best time of my life!
So ... I am level 23 and get really frustrated with the combat system. Playing on Master.

Short overview: Bow/1 handed/Conjuration/Smithing skilled.

Every thing right now is like this: Pull with Bow and let the Companion tank. Summon a Fire Element. If I´m in trouble at this point I will use my shrine. "Revive everyone in radius [x] once a day) = another 1-5 minions. Nothing even tries to hit me at this point.

My gear is a 40 dmg bow and and two 35 dmg 1h axes. Wearing light armor at ~140. Values are so high because of smithing ...

I just feel like I rolled the optimal char and it gets boring. Summons and Companions are way to powerfull. They tank so much hits while a dragon/bear/troll 3hits you.

Like I said, for me smithing and Summons+ki are broken.

I think organisation is going to be the key to making process with the side quests. Tomorrow, I'll make a nice list of them, bunch them geographically, rank by interest, and then tackle them area by area. In fact, I might do that now.

I'm stuck with a permanent status drain of 40 to my single handed weapons. Cure disease, resting, temples don't get rid of it. It's not listed in my active effects and even when naked it's there. I think it's glitched. Unless someone knows how to fix this, I think I'll have to reload an earlier save.

Woorloog

Banned
blahblah...blah said:
I think organisation is going to be the key to making process with the side quests. Tomorrow, I'll make a nice list of them, bunch them geographically, rank by interest, and then tackle them area by area. In fact, I might do that now.
This is the SOP for all RPGs really, at least for me. It is the most efficient system, though loot does cause problems. Of course this can be avoided by looting only only items with high value:weight ratio (ie gold, jewelery, scrolls, magic items, leave anything mundane alone) or by having a companion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom