• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanace

I've surprised myself by not taking advantage of those leveling up tricks (pickpocket trainers, spam clairvoyance, smithing, etc.).

Probably will on my next character to get the perks quicker though.

Woorloog said:
This is the SOP for all RPGs really, at least for me. It is the most efficient system, though loot does cause problems. Of course this can be avoided by looting only only items with high value:weight ratio (ie gold, jewelery, scrolls, magic items, leave anything mundane alone) or by having a companion.

I opt for the value:weight ratio approach, I don't like having to deal with an AI companion!

Zeliard

Whoever thinks the dragon fights are too easy or whatnot needs to bump that difficulty up to Master. :p

Just had a great fight against a basic frost Dragon. Went to a bandit's camp for a quest and while fighting them, the theme kicks in and I spot a Dragon off in the distance fighting one thing or another.

After he murders it, he makes his way over to the bandit's camp and starts spewing at everything with his frost breath. My companion and I take care of the bandits and then I summon a Flame Atronach and resurrect a bow-wielding bandit as I'm dual-casting big ass fireballs, so it's basically me and three followers bombing all this stuff at this dragon and it just looks awesome, visually. My horse kept trying to join in as well, which was sort of adorable.

We get the dragon down to around 60% or so health and he decides to fly away towards this small nearby farm, which he starts terrorizing. I go into Werewolf form and do a four-legged sprint down there with my group, and we all team up with the farmers there to kill the dragon off, with 7 or 8 of us just yelling and hammering away on the poor bastard.

In a neat touch, these guys also commented in surprise on the fact that I absorbed a dragon's soul right in front of them, like in the more scripted dragon events.

I've only had a few dragon fights so maybe I'll eventually become overpowered for them or they'll just feel samey after several, but so far they're good stuff as a mage and they tend to be impressive on a visual/audio level with all the stuff going on.

That farm also has this crazy jester guy named Cicero who asks for your help to fix his wagon. If you agree to help him he launches into perhaps the most sarcastic dance I've ever seen in a game.

Esch

Banned
i cant decide whether the dark brotherhood storyline is awesome or predictable

and Zeliard, it's not that they're too easy.. it's that relative to certain other enemies in the game they're a cakewalk. I've had more issues with Spriggans. Hell, bandits.

Woorloog

Banned
Cryptozoologist said:
I've surprised myself by not taking advantage of those leveling up tricks (pickpocket trainers, spam clairvoyance, smithing, etc.).

Probably will on my next character to get the perks quicker though.
I avoid "overleveling" through exploiting the systems to avoid having bad gear compared to enemy levels. Yes, this game doesn't have as aggressive scaling like Oblivion does but there's still some. Go to a bandit camp at level 1 and you won't see anything but bandits. Go there by level 10 and there may be multiple bandit chiefs.

EschatonDX said:
i cant decide whether the dark brotherhood storyline is awesome or predictable
Can't it be both? Don't say anything about it, haven't touched the quest line at all yet.

Spasm

love Love LOVE this game, despite the textures not loading half the time, and at least half a dozen random lockups. 360.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So for mages what's some good spells and perks to pick? I still havent picked any perks yet and im level 4. I was thinking of going battlemage but magic just seems like so much fun that I may not even bother with weapons lol.

Pollux

jfkgoblue said:
i didn't know your spouse could cheat on you.... but mine did... anyways this is how I "dealt" with it
2zelbnc.jpg

n4d4s1.jpg

How do you know she was cheating?

rexor0717 said:
Anyone here been able to find conjuration spells past weapons and atronachs? Don't get me wrong, the atronach are awesome, but I want to summon some daedra, but I have no clue where to find the spells. I'm like 57 in conjuration btw.

Go have a drink with a man in Winterhold

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
is there any way to have more than 1 person follow you?

I already had a guy who was helping me beat up farmers and then I did a mission for the king (or whatever) and he gave me a female guard but I can't use both at the same time

Is there a reason I have a ransom in whiterun? I've never been there. Is it a story thing? Is that where they caught me before the beginning? I don't want to go there if they're just gonna go all stop right there criminal scum on me.

Wanace

Woorloog said:
I avoid "overleveling" through exploiting the systems to avoid having bad gear compared to enemy levels. Yes, this game doesn't have as aggressive scaling like Oblivion does but there's still some. Go to a bandit camp at level 1 and you won't see anything but bandits. Go there by level 10 and there may be multiple bandit chiefs.

Yeah, I'm level 24 now but there definitely was a point where my gear was hindering me because I had the same weapon and armor for like 10-15 levels. Didn't help that I was only wearing gauntlets and boots because I'm a mage and wanted to wear robes and a hood.

Now though I feel at the perfect level of difficulty and satisfaction of being able to defeat all my enemies. Plus I have my companion decked out in all the armor and cool shit I don't wear.

ezrarh

Alright 23 hours played. Easily the most fun I've had with a game since Starcraft 2 came out last year. Best WRPG ever.

Started out playing on Master difficulty but that was a little annoying so I switched to Expert. Playing a conjuration/destruction mage is so much fun.

Noaloha

I've had some serious interpersonal issues with Lydia The IQ-Less since she first started following me around like some loud and clumsy cousin who comes to visit at Christmas. Between not waiting when she's asked to do so and a frankly astounding knack for walking over every pressure plate she comes across (sometimes going straight back to one just to make sure that is what caused all those darts to shoot out of the walls); from standing implacably in any doorway as I try to squeeze back out of a room, to sprinting up on me when I'm breathing in a snowy vista stood on the edge of a vertiginous cliff-edge and PUSHING ME OFF THE FUCKING MOUNTAIN, it is safe to say that our partnership has had its difficulties.

However. Earlier today I came across a Glass Warhammer at the unlikely level of 18. I gifted it to Little Miss Bronchitis (ignoring yet another snide comment about burdens) and, since then, I've seen a new side to her. A beautiful side. I dual-cast stagger the enemies, they drop to their knees and beg for mercy, she drops a ton of hardened glass on their skulls. The primed bear-trap in Breezehome's guest bed has been removed. For now.

Wallach

Finally made my way to Winterhold and the college. I don't think I even have the time to write another story for how long this took me, but I guess it's been like six and a half hours. God damn there is dangerous shit around Winterhold; twice I got mobbed by Ice Wraiths in packs of four, but one of them I had the help of a random cave bear that wandered too close.

Finally though I'm a member of the College of Winterhold, and my celebration involved a dragon landing in the middle of the courtyard. Good fucking times.

mxgt

Banned
Dragon fights certainly aren't that easy on higher difficulties. Took me 6-7 quick loads to beat a Blood Dragon that randomly attacked me.

kamspy

I'm level 14.

Playing a Redguard Battle Mage with a little emphasis on the Mage half. I keep up my Restoration too. Going with the mace route as far as one handed weapons though. Maces are my favorite weapon in AssCreed. There's something......personal about a mace that sword lacks.

My character looks like Bob Marley. I'm not outright evil in the game, but I take no bullshit and don't kiss ass.

Pretty much Game of Forever. Hardest thing about the game is dividing the play time between myself and my wife. This game might make me piece up a second gaming PC...

Love it. Playing on a PC.

580 GTX SuperClocked
AMD 1055t 6 Core @3.8Ghz
8 GB DDR3
soooogooood.gif

Woorloog

Banned
Oh, one question, are there many essential characters in this game (just yes or no, don't want to know whom specifically)? IE characters you cannot kill, just knock unconscious. Can companions be killed for good? I don't like having a follower who will most likely die because the AI is too dumb and charges towards a group of bandits alone (have had this happen once already but luckily i was faster and saved the day).

Timber

SteveWinwood said:
Is there a reason I have a ransom in whiterun? I've never been there. Is it a story thing? Is that where they caught me before the beginning? I don't want to go there if they're just gonna go all stop right there criminal scum on me.
You have a bounty in the Hold of Whiterun, which is the city plus the surrounding region. You were probably somewhere in the vicinity when you committed a crime. When a guard comes up to you, you can just pay a fine.

B-Dex

Woorloog said:
Oh, one question, are there many essential characters in this game (just yes or no, don't want to know whom specifically)? IE characters you cannot kill, just knock unconscious. Can companions be killed for good? I don't like having a follower who will most likely die because the AI is too dumb and charges towards a group of bandits alone (have had this happen once already but luckily i was faster and saved the day).

Yes there are npcs you can't kill. They just get knocked down into a slump but get back up in a minute or so.

Timber said:
You have a bounty in the Hold of Whiterun, which is the city plus the surrounding region. You were probably somewhere in the vicinity when you committed a crime. When a guard comes up to you, you can just pay a fine.
I've been nowhere near it :/ fine ill pay it

Koomaster

This thread is moving fast, but for those of you without houses or places to store your loot. I find just dropping it on the ground seems to work just fine. Just make it a place you can remember and easily find.

I dropped a TON of books outside of a bar in Whiterun when I first got there and they are still there hours (days in the game) later. Plus other stuff I have dropped out in towns in the world seems to still be there whenever I come back as well. Don't know if there are any limits to this, you might want to be hidden before picking anything that was originally stolen back up again.

Timber

mxgt said:
Dragon fights certainly aren't that easy on higher difficulties. Took me 6-7 quick loads to beat a Blood Dragon that randomly attacked me.
Blood dragons are the only enemies I've come across so far that I haven't been able to defeat. Two of them showed up today an eviscerated me with icy breath, so now I've brewed some potions and enchanted my armor to be frost resistant in the hope that the next bastard that drops from the sky will NEVER ASCEND AGAIN.

Woorloog

Banned
Wallach said:
Magic -> Active Effects.
Do note that having caught a disease may cause a glitch were NPCs claim you're looking ill even if you've cured the thing.
B-Dex said:
Yes there are npcs you can't kill. They just get knocked down into a slump but get back up in a minute or so.
What about companions?

SeanR1221

Question about the champions.

They want me to become a werewolf, but I don't want to be a werewolf. So is it impossible to finish their quests now?

brerwolfe

icarus-daedelus said:
Neat-o.
Tell me how it is on triple, duder.
i have zero complaints with my ps3 version. i have 20 or so hours logged, but everything runs smoothly. and the 5gb install was the fastest i've ever seen on the ps3.

Woorloog

Banned
Timber said:
Having personally delivered an arrow into the back of the head of Sven the Wack-Ass Bard, I can confirm that companions, or at least some of them, can die.
Well, that means i won't be having them around with my current character (Orc warrior who wields a big weapon and heavy armor) unless i have a spare Daedric armor for them... Probably won't have them around until i play with a mage character (healing hands, buffs).

zethren

Banned
So what's with Nirnroot making crazy humming sounds as you walk up to it in the wild? Don't remember that happening in the older games.

Woorloog

Banned
zethren said:
So what's with Nirnroot making crazy humming sounds as you walk up to it in the wild? Don't remember that happening in the older games.
Well it wasn't in Morrowind or earlier, first appeared in Oblivion and it did have a humming sound in it as well though not as loud.

Realyn

Im pissed that most Inn´s look the same. They also copied a bunch of buildings in the three small citys in the north, they look like Riverrun. Same for most dungeons i´ve been so far ...

Windhelm is the first city for last 5-10 hours I approve!

brerwolfe

zethren said:
it certainly did in oblivion, that's how you know you're close to it in the wild, in houses, anywhere.

mik83kuu

Banned
Do you have arrows sticking out of your character? Try removing all arrows from your inventory. Maybe it'll help... Dunno since I haven't tried it myself.

Also started playing on normal difficulty and made a Mage. Really more enjoyable since I don't need to kite the mobs :) I won't ever grind levels with any of the tricks posted. I don't want to ruin the game for me.

jfkgoblue

SeanR1221 said:
Question about the champions.

They want me to become a werewolf, but I don't want to be a werewolf. So is it impossible to finish their quests now?
I believe so, to continue the questline, you need to be a part of the circle, and to do that, you have to drink the blood... why wouldn't you want to become a werewolf anyway?

zethren

Banned
Woorloog said:
Well it wasn't in Morrowind or earlier, first appeared in Oblivion and it did have a humming sound in it as well though not as loud.

Huh. Thought I remembered it in Morrowind.

Okay, guess my memory is just super bad when it comes to good ol' nirnroot, but I didn't play very much Oblivion so that could be why.

Any lore as to why nirnroot does this?

Wallach

GhostRidah said:
So I bought a house in White run, any idea where it is? cant find it for the life of me.

Buying the house adds a misc quest to your log. It's the one next to the blacksmith just as you walk into town, called Breezehome.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Nelo Ice said:
So for mages what's some good spells and perks to pick? I still havent picked any perks yet and im level 4. I was thinking of going battlemage but magic just seems like so much fun that I may not even bother with weapons lol.

Destruction and Restoration for me so far, dual casting is a must. I went fireball, lightning spells and fast healing -- get lots of magicka! I'm a battle mage, rocking a two handed greater sword with 20 stam absorption when things get dicey

Derrick01

Banned
Realyn said:
posted this some pages ago

Like I said, for me smithing and Summons+ki are broken.

I don't know I think the game makes it easy to be overpowered if you planned your skills and gear well. My sneak build is pretty powerful and I don't have a single skill over 65 yet, in fact only lockpicking and pickpocket are over 60.

But for combat I have 2 pieces of gear that give me a total of 35% bow damage as well as a 3x sneak damage perk. For daggers I do 30x sneak damage making just about everything die in a hit with my skyforge steel dagger. Despite my sneak only being at 50-55 I'm already apparently extremely tough to spot, I've had enemies 4 feet away just run by me.

But I haven't run into boredom yet as there's always the risk of running into a powerful mage or enemy who can wreck me. Plus it's fun crouching around and picking people off with my bow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom