• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

balddemon

Banned
ok this is really starting to annoy me. i'm using kb/m on the pc version, and i can't seem to switch what magic i'm using in my right hand! even if i equip a bow, when i go to equip a ward and shock magic, it still puts fire on my right hand, and won't let me switch it off!! ughh how are you guys doing this?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
zethren said:
You can join both, if you want to.

What's the benefit of join both the Imperial Legion and the Companions?

Fantastical said:
God, I have no idea what to do with perks in this game. Every time I get a perk I use it in a field I haven't gotten a perk in yet, but I feel like that's the wrong way to go about this considering how many perks there are. I feel a lot of anxiety when I get a perk because I have no idea what to choose...

Use perks to specialize in the fields you're interested in. I'm working on Destruction, Restoration, Onehanded, Sneak, Pickpocket, etc so those are what I'm putting my perks into. Don't put perks into specialties you don't find yourself using or interested in. For example, I have no use for smithing, so I ignore it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gor@n said:
Thinking about picking this up, should i play oblivion before i jump on this?
I actively recommend NOT doing so. I've said it before and I accept blasphemy if I must, but Skyrim very much makes it obsolete.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
GeoramA said:
Can't you join both? I think you have to choose between the Legion and The Stormcloaks.

Ahh I see...so when I get to that decision, which one would you guys recommend joining between those two?

GhaleonEB

It's not bad enough that I have a log of about 20 tasks to do in the game. No, am spending all my spare time plotting out my game plan for the next session.

Going to saddle up and ride to Riften, work the Thieves Guild until I get a fence in Solitude, ride back, loot the town silly until I can buy my house. Should take a day, maybe two.

And that's not even scratching into the list of a hajillion other things I want to do, like check out a couple interesting dungeons I found on my last trek.

This game. This fucking game.

Sobriquet

herzogzwei1989 said:
noob question here: where do you do your first 4 or 5 levels of leveling up at. near the first town? What are the best places ? HELP!

Wherever and however you want to. That's the beauty of this game.

GhaleonEB

Hawkian said:
I actively recommend NOT doing so. I've said it before and I accept blasphemy if I must, but Skyrim very much makes it obsolete.
It really does. So far, there's nothing in Oblivion that Skyrim doesn't do much, much better.

epmode

isamu said:
Guys should I Join the Imperial Legion or the Companions ? I'm a Redguard
I'm having the same problem! Nord here.

My thinking goes:
Welp, the Empire tried to murder me for no reason. But fuck the racist Stormcloaks. It might be fun to betray my countrymen!

RyanDG

GeoramA said:
Haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm partial to the empire right now.

This is the wrong choice. Skyrim is for the Nords.

The racism in this game is actually rather interesting.

As a side note, some crazy stuff has been happening in the world in the time since Oblivion. Crazy stuff.

Derrick01

Banned
I still haven't decided whether I want to join the stormcloaks or imperials yet. I went into the game deciding imperials but the game's done a decent job at making me think. It feels like the stormcloaks are the good guys in a way, but they're racist and I'm argonian. Think I'll save them for my next playthrough when I'm a Nord Battlemage.

GhaleonEB

JumpingTheGun said:
Where else can you buy a house besides Whiterun? Do you always have to talk to the Jarls associate in order to purcase residence?
I've only found one in Solitude, but yes, I had to do a few quests for the Jarl first.

Timber

Zeliard said:
Where/when do the procedurally-generated quests start showing up?
It's hard to tell. Some of the early Companion quests are randomized a bit, which I didn't realize until I read some posts in this thread describing different locations and NPCs.

Also I'm pretty sure that those misc bounty quests of "kill x in location y" are randomized.

Zeliard

Timber said:
It's hard to tell. Some of the early Companion quests are randomized a bit, which I didn't realize until I read some posts in this thread describing different locations and NPCs.

Also I'm pretty sure that those misc bounty quests of "kill x in location y" are randomized.

Yeah those probably are. I think there are probably randomized quests within each guild as a way to fill them up with more stuff to do.

Man I need to go find me a mage follower. Would be awesome. :p Right now I have that archer from Riverwood following me, but teaming up with a fellow mage would be pretty cool.

Noaloha

Pissing about in Breezehome, stuffing potions into sacks, I just found a rather random action shortcut for your NPC. Rather than selecting talk and "I need you to do something", you can just point your cursor at their feet and hold the button down. Weird.

bengraven

So how do we get a divorce, outside of death?

I'm kind of feeling my wife and all, but I suddenly realized I still haven't explored the majority of major, decent sized cities and there might be more fish in the sea.

Teknoman

GeoramA said:
Can't you join both? I think you have to choose between the Legion and The Stormcloaks.

I'm Redguard and going with the Stormcloaks. Yeah I know their views (I think?) but the Legion wanted to kill me without even knowing whats up.

Of course i've already helped out in Whiterun... and they seem to think the only people that should ever live in Skyrim are Nords (even though there seem to be Redguards and nonhumans living in town anyway)I really dont know how my story is going to play out, and I guess thats a good thing.

Forkball

In Whiterun now. The good thing about open world games is all the different things you can do and quests you can partake in. The bad thing is not knowing if those quests will result in you dying as soon as you get to the quest marker.

Spent 40 hours playing this over the past 3 days. I have to say, I think this is my favorite game this gen. It's so immersive. Playing a Nord Warrior and it is such a blast. I feel like I haven't come close to experiencing even a quarter of the content in the game. It's amazing to me that in a generation filled with 8-10 hour campaigns that Skyrim can have so much content and even the most mundane of side quests are enjoyable. There is just so much meat to this game I have to wonder how other studios of comparable size and budgets can't even come close to matching the breadth of this game.

I've encountered a few quest bugs though that I hope they get fixed soon. I picked up the Children of the Sky book before I got the side quest and now it won't let me turn in. Some other side quests I've finished aren't going to the finished portion of my journal either.

I really hope Bethesda works on a new Fallout game next and puts this much love into it.

RyanDG said:
As a side note, some crazy stuff has been happening in the world in the time since Oblivion. Crazy stuff.

Yeah, but then again, a lot can happen in 200 years. Would love to go back to Cyrodiil and see what's what.

I wouldn't recommend buying a horse in this game. As soon as I bought mine, I stumbled upon a dead bandit's horse like a minute after I bought my stupid horse. I could just ride it or whatever. I ended up just killing the bandit's horse out of frustration and my horse actually helped in that. The only thing he's good for evidently is killing other horses. The horse is the worst kind of companion too. I didn't feel any faster riding than I did walking and he spends most of his time getting in the way during fights. I got sick of getting on and off the stupid thing to fight. I just stopped riding him after a while and I left him in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure he'll pop up back in town or something, but I really hope he fucking dies. Might as well have just shoved the 1000 gold up my ass. I want to go to the stables in Whiterun where I bought the stupid thing and kill the guy working there and any horses I can find. If I see that horse again I'm gonna kill him.

Esch

Banned
Seems kinda contradictory to side with the Imperials (Dark Brohood spoilers)
after doing the Dark Brotherhood quests. But i guess you could interpret it as wanting some sort of 'policy change' like motierre implied. Can you be a patriot and an assassin of your king at the same time? lol

TESVI should be in the Summerset Isles. Would be the ideal place to show off next gen fireworks. Or Akavir. That's too bold though.

balddemon

Banned
SmellyHands said:
I wouldn't recommend buying a horse in this game. As soon as I bought mine, I stumbled upon a dead bandit's horse like a minute after I bought my stupid horse. I could just ride it or whatever. I ended up just killing the bandit's horse out of frustration and my horse actually helped in that. The only thing he's good for evidently is killing other horses. The horse is the worst kind of companion too. I didn't feel any faster riding than I did walking and he spends most of his time getting in the way during fights. I got sick of getting on and off the stupid thing to fight. I just stopped riding him after a while and I left him in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure he'll pop up back in town or something, but I really hope he fucking dies. Might as well have just shoved the 1000 gold up my ass. I want to go to the stables in Whiterun where I bought the stupid thing and kill the guy working there and any horses I can find. If I see that horse again I'm gonna kill him.

http://www.cracked.com/video_13643_ass-pennies.html

also, lydia died :( seriously am sad lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SmellyHands said:
This random anti-horse rant just cracked me up for like 2 or 3 minutes, so kudos.

bengraven said:
So how do we get a divorce, outside of death?

I'm kind of feeling my wife and all, but I suddenly realized I still haven't explored the majority of major, decent sized cities and there might be more fish in the sea.

Can you not marry more than one broad? I've never played a TES game before.

I can't even begin to explain how much I love this game. I've gone down the Archery/Destruction/Conjure path and there is so much variety to this skill set. Back to Skyrim.

Zeliard

SmellyHands said:

Haha :D

You gotta sprint with the horses (hold ALT by default on PC). They'll get you around.

Problem with stealing a horse is they'll trot away if you're off them for too long. If you a buy a horse and he doesn't die he'll basically hang around forever. Even if you lose him he'll always be waiting back at the stables you bought him at.

cackhyena

SmellyHands said:
Your horse attacks whatever is attacking you, and on smaller animals is a terror. And to the bolded. Uh, what?

Noaloha

Whaaaat!? You can rename any weapons you create through Enchantment?

BEHOLD. The legendary iron greatsword Vigoursnick, draining 4 points of health with every swing*!

*Well, every swing up to the ninth, at which point it's lost all its charges.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
smithing is so awesome, i've spent the last few hours running around the map trying to find people who sell ores and ingots and then powerleveling my smithing. im in the 70s right now and its opened up so many options for armour and weapons.

cackhyena

Pandaman said:
smithing is so awesome, i've spent the last few hours running around the map trying to find people who sell ores and ingots and then powerleveling my smithing. im in the 70s right now and its opened up so many options for armour and weapons.
Hmm, gonna have to get right to this method...after I find that Thieves Guild....after I complete some stuff at the College of Winterhold. I think that's the name.

Esch

Banned
ElyrionX said:
This game would be so much better if it had better loot.
That's really the biggest glaring omission in the game so far for me- generic 'enchanted' weapons are lame. And any time i find something unique, it's obsolete when compared to what i can smith and refine. Although I suppose when smithing gets high enough i'll be able to sharpen/temper enchanted weapons. Which will be perfect.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I really hope this game gets patched before I start playing it. Unbelievable how Bethesda consistently releases very buggy games.

ezekial45

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
I really hope this game gets patched before I start playing it. Unbelievable how Bethesda consistently releases very buggy games.
It's actually been pretty solid for me. I'm surprised how my game hasn't crashed yet, or any NPC's vanishing.

Raxus

Pandaman said:
I am taking the light armor route so I managed to get the improved smithing by robbing and training with the smith master in Whiterun.

I am trying to get my enchanting up as well so I can have extremely powerful light dragon armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom