• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

joshcryer said:
I hate that early on at least it completely drains magicika. :( But it's definitely awesome and badass to the extreme, especially the fact that you can do it literally as soon as you
have your hands unfreed in that room with the goodies; there's a second sword hanging on the wall there

You mean stamina? A dual attack with bound weapons seems to take off about 50 points of stamina.

EschatonDX said:
Speaking of bound weapons, exactly how powerful are they supposed to be?

I only have Bound Sword right now and it's pretty solid, though I only bust it out occasionally. Some of the perks in particular are nice. Just got one that makes bound weapons automatically cast Soul Trap. The one after that has them banishing summoned foes and turning resurrected ones, which I have to assume will come quite in handy for the later game.

Conciliator said:
Not sure if you got a response on this, but there's a dude in Riften; think he normally hangs out in the Inn. He's a comically powerful mage in my experience. Shit just tends to explode when he's hanging around.

Sweet, guess I know where my next stop is. :D Though if he really is too overpowered I probably won't hang on to him for too long.

I'm taking the scenic route. I fast travel at times but I'm not gonna use the carriage at least in this playthrough since I'd rather travel normally to places I haven't been to yet. Closest place I've been to near Riften is Gallows Rock, which is a good ways away. Should be quite a fun trek. :p I expect to be massively distracted along the way.

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
Just completed the Mind of Madness quest. That was some weird shit, but it's nice to have the (Daggerfall/Shivering Islands spoiler)
Wabbajack
back. Hopefully future DLC will feature more Daedric madness!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i got drunk, blacked out and woke up in markham with a nun bitching me out for trashing her temple.

on the plus side, i really wasnt looking forward to the long horseride to markham, so im glad to have a fasttravel option now.

brerwolfe

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Just from what I've heard of the Elsewyr from the Khajit traders, that sounds like an interesting place to go. It would be a really awkward title for a game though...
They wouldn't necessarily call it Summerset Isle, TES IV wasn't called "Cyrodiil".

Deadly

My one-handed is gimped to 15 for some reason. I just healed at the temple but it's still 15. Is this a side-effect of the
lycanthropy
?

this game is so much fun, love it, have seen nothing either, no trolls, no giants, no dragons, just bandits and the undead in the bear claw quest. Just have been amazed and in awe of the world. never played a game like this before.

question, can i poison arrows or make bows better? or where can i buy or steal a better bow?

Can random Dragon encounters mess up possible quests or anything? I fast traveled to some random lumber mill, then was attacked by a Dragon. I was able to kill it but some of the NPC's were killed...no clue if they were important or not.

Zeliard

Deadly said:
My one-handed is gimped to 15 for some reason. I just healed at the temple but it's still 15. Is this a side-effect of the
lycanthropy
?

Definitely shouldn't be.

In fact you should have 100% immunity to disease.

Sullichin said:
The game has froze for 20+ seconds at a time before recovering for me. This time it seems to be in a perma-freeze state. Oh well.

This reminds me, I encountered an odd bug that scared the crap out of me on the XBox. It was a situation where I was stuck in place, the game didn't freeze, my character just kept running in place no matter what I tried. I even loaded up other saves and it was the exact same thing no matter where I was at. All my saves had the same problem and I had saves all over the place from different parts of the game. I even exited out to the menu and came back in with the same result. I just turned off the xbox and went into the bathroom to have a good cry. After I came back and turned the game back on, the problem was gone. So, if you run into something similar, try restarting the system before raging. It happened to me during the Companions quest line. Keep an eye out for weirdness during this quest line. Specifics are in the spoilers below.

Spoiler:
During the quest where you offered the chance to become I Werewolf, I accepted and as soon as I transformed and was all excited to run around screaming omg i'm a werewolf! I couldn't. I was just stuck in place. I tried waiting and I ended up in the next part with Alena getting ready to attack the Silver Hand camp, but I couldn't move anywhere. I also seemed to get to become a werewolf fairly easily. I'm not sure if this is a bug too. I thought there'd be more to it, but I think I only did about two or three quests for the Companions before I was invited to werwolf it up. The last quest I did was literaly going to some dude's house to kill a wolf and then all of a sudden I'm in their inner circle. I thought there'd be more to it than that.

Derrick01

Banned
CrazyDude said:
Do you guys have any ideas for dlc?

If they can add a bunch of special items to already existing dungeons (as well as new ones) that would be awesome, it would only boost the exploration.

A
vampire
guild with its own special questline would be great too. I'm pretty sure Bethesda said they would be interested in adding new guilds.

RyanDG

Deadly said:
lycanthropy
?

Shouldn't be. I've been
wolfing it up
for the better part of the game now and haven't seen any issues to my one-handed strength. Do you have anything listed under active effects out of the ordinary?

RyanDG

MisterAnderson said:
Can random Dragon encounters mess up possible quests or anything? I fast traveled to some random lumber mill, then was attacked by a Dragon. I was able to kill it but some of the NPC's were killed...no clue if they were important or not.

From my understanding, the game will replace important NPCs in quest lines with new ones if someone important is killed off.

Cudder

I have yet to start this game, but I gotta ask before I do:

If I hated the Mages guild/magic in Oblivion, would it be wise to stay away from the magic in this game? I heard the magic is improved a ton in this game, but I'm not sure if I should go with a brute force melee character or not.

Pollux

I know this is a crazy idea but sometime in soon we NEED to do a Elder Scrolls VI discussion/ideas thread. A game set in Elsweyr sounds like it would be amazing. Khajit everywhere.

A real game in Hammerfell would be great too.

EDIT: Elsweyr has fucking WERE-LIONS holy crap.

bengraven

HawksWinStanley said:
Can you not marry more than one broad? I've never played a TES game before.

Outside of mods you've never been able to marry anymore. I'm convinced that because of the literally hundreds of mods that allowed you both companions and marriage, they realized they should do it officially.

But yeah, no one knows how to divorce. Damn.

zmoney said:
I know this is a crazy idea but sometime in soon we NEED to do a Elder Scrolls VI discussion/ideas thread. A game set in Elsywhere sounds like it would be amazing. Khajit everywhere.

A real game in Hammerfell would be great too.

Great minds and all that.

I'm actually thinking they're setting up Elswyr to be the next game in the series. There's a lot of talk about the deserts and wastelands, etc. of Elswyr, not just from the Khajiits.

Deadly

RyanDG said:
Shouldn't be. I've been
wolfing it up
for the better part of the game now and haven't seen any issues to my one-handed strength. Do you have anything listed under active effects out of the ordinary?
Just tried a potion of cure disease too didn't work. Nothing in active effects, only fortify stuff. Tried sleeping too, didn't work.

Borman

Cudder said:

If I hated the Mages guild/magic in Oblivion, would it be wise to stay away from the magic in this game? I heard the magic is improved a ton in this game, but I'm not sure if I should go with a brute force melee character or not.

I usually play bruteforce. I still mainly use a sword, but I have been mixing in a lot more magic in this game compared to oblivion. That goes for most stuff really, Im doing more in this than I ever did in Oblivion.

RyanDG

Cudder said:

If you really hated magic in oblivion, there's probably not a lot here to change your mind. Magic is quicker, and scales better, but other than that the essential engine is still the same with the exception of dual wielding spells (which makes mage only builds really practical and effective). Personally, I would start with the melee build and work yourself into a semi-spellsword. There are a lot of support spells (and damage spells) that you can get into that would really augment a melee build.

Or you can do what I do (on my second character I rolled up to play around with). Play a nord that hates all magic and is on a mission to rid Skyrim of nearly all the magic users I can (as sneaky and stealthily as possible)

Pandaman said:
i got drunk, blacked out and woke up in markham with a nun bitching me out for trashing her temple.

on the plus side, i really wasnt looking forward to the long horseride to markham, so im glad to have a fasttravel option now.

I was surprised when I loaded up the game for the first time today to see that I didn't have the fast travel option for all the major cities. I'm glad they did it like that though, it is fun exploring, although the 1000 coins I dropped on a horse at Whiterun is regretful.

Tokubetsu

Anyone dual-wielding (weapons, not combining spells)? How is it? I'm thinking about focusing on it with my sneak/archery guy because blocking with a hide shield doesn't seem that effective. Think I'd be better going all offense and shifting my defense to trying to dodge shit.

Clevinger

Fuck Ice Trolls. I'm level 17 and I barely put a dent in him. And his health regenerated faster than I dished it out.

RyanDG said:
If you really hated magic in oblivion, there's probably not a lot here to change your mind. Magic is quicker, and scales better, but other than that the essential engine is still the same with the exception of dual wielding spells (which makes mage only builds really practical and effective).

Nah. I thought magic in Oblivion was boring as hell, but I'm loving playing a mage in this.

Ether_Snake said:
I really hope this game gets patched before I start playing it. Unbelievable how Bethesda consistently releases very buggy games.
Thing is, it's not buggy. It lacks polish in some areas, but I've played for 25 hours without a single crash or quest bug.

Esch

Banned
lastplayed said:
I'm guessing you need expert level 75. Frost atronach only became available after level 50.

Not true. I found a copy of summon frost atronach when i was like level 16-18.

I really like the idea of a merchant guild based around speech, smithing, conjuring, enchanting etc. Not sure how it'd work, but eh.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
this game has been out 3 days now? I've already put 25 hours into it. That never happens for me. I wake up early so I can play it. I haven't done stuff like that since grade school. It's just nuts

Ri'Orius

(posted this a few pages back and never got an answer; is it okay to repost?)

Can someone help me understand how character advancement works? I get that using skills levels the skills, and leveling enough skills levels your character. And I get that upon level up, you get +10 to HP, MP or stamina, plus a perk to spend in one of the skill trees, and most perks require your skill to be a certain level.

What I don't get is whether you get any other bonuses for leveling your character or your skills. Does leveling Destruction automatically make my spells hit harder? Does leveling One-Handed make my weapon deal more damage? Are there any bonuses I get just for being level N+1 over level N?

Oh, and do your companions level up somehow as well?

I'm really enjoying this game, but I would really appreciate some more transparency in the game mechanics...

XxCGSxX

This game is amazing, but I'm a noob when it comes to this type of games. Few questions: Where can I create enchanted weapons besides inside of a dungeon? And how the hell do you recharge enchanted weapons? it says something about some type of stone but I don't know where to find them or where to buy them. Also an Icon for stores on the map in this game would be helpful, it's easy to get lost. :/

Eusis

krameriffic said:
Thing is, it's not buggy.
Just because you've been luckier doesn't mean it isn't. I've had 3 CTDs so far alongside the more amusing bugs like floating mammoths, two of them today too. I don't mind as a rare occurrence, but if it's going to be more frequent I may want to wait a bit.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just a tip for you PC users (and it might've been posted) but incase you're having the odd crash here and there then alter the Skyrimprefs file located in [Default] My Computer > C Drive > Users > *Username* > My Documents > Skyrim > SkyrimPrefs.cfg (Right click, open with notepad)

Scroll down and you're looking for

[SaveGame]
fAutosaveEveryXMins=15.0000

Change the minutes to whatever suits and save before closing the notepad. I've changed mine to 5.0000 mins just because I have had a few ctd's and it's annoying as hell.

MRORANGE

Stuck on Shout? BUG ?

I have the shout called
"Become Ethereal" from the cave which was supposed to have the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller,
but I could not use it as I needed another dragon soul, so a while later I met he dragon
Sahloknir
which I killed, which should have unlocked the shout after I killed it, but it did not, anyone know what gives? this is the second dragon I have slain, how many dragons do I have to kill to get shouts?

oh and some pics:

b5ItL.jpg

KFHnX.jpg

dunno if dragons are spoilers :

http://i.imgur.com/QGghy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Q7kI2.jpg

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Deadly said:
Tried it already. This game lacks a status screen =( WHY IS MY CHARACTER BEING GIIIMPEEED. shit is so hard already :lol

Go to magic then check effects, tells ya all the buffs you have on. Maybe if you get the name you can find a way to fix it.

On a side note now imping my heavy armor skill. Got a zombie attacking me but with my dragon armor and shitty heal spell he can't hurt me at all. Saved there and tomorrow I'm just going to let him whale on me for a few hours till it maxes out.

Only ran into 1 bug so far, had to pay off a guys bail but never let me get him out. Reloaded and tried it again after doing another quest and it worked. set it to auto save every 5 mins on the xbox.

Esch

Banned
I think a Hircine centric were-creature based expansion would be cooler. They could call it Wild Hunt. It could take place in his Hunting Grounds too. Think it'd fit well with the Skyrim theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom