• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Anyone know if there's some conflict between the Companions guild and the
Ill Met By Moonlight
quest? I picked that quest up very early in the game but haven't done anything with it yet, and I'm curious if completing it will end up
removing my ability to turn into a Werewolf. The quest involves decursing Hircine's Ring, but it's already decursed post-Werewolf ritual with the Companions)

No idea how that quest would end up going.

Lyonaz

Toodles said:
Whaaaat!? You can rename any weapons you create through Enchantment?

BEHOLD. The legendary iron greatsword Vigoursnick, draining 4 points of health with every swing*!

*Well, every swing up to the ninth, at which point it's lost all its charges.
Or let it do 1 Hp drain for 36 swings :p.

But yeah enchanting is great I made a soul trapping bow that has 100+ charges.
Best thing is I named it Shang Tsung.

Ceebs

ElyrionX said:
This game would be so much better if it had better loot.
I think this is the biggest failing of the scaling in the game. It's nowhere near as bad as Oblivion's loot drops, but I feel sort of cheated when I take down a boss and am rewarded with underwhelming drops.

Zeliard

EschatonDX said:
i'm dual-wielding katana right now. Goddamn.

I like the dual power attack you can do by hitting both attack buttons. You can also do it with dual bound weapons which adds that extra little bit of badass.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is there any benefit to one weapon type over another? I'm using maces right now as they always seem to have higher base damage compared to any other weapon of the same material.

Also, I notice sometimes in the inventory certain items have a triangle to the right. I'd assumed that indicated the best item I could wear, but why would one type of steel armor have priority over another? (The very basic steel armor got the triangle over a similar piece that had pauldrons but identical stats.)

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Sweet just got smithing to 100 and did all the heavy armor perks for dragon armor, killed 5 dragons so I had plenty of mats. Just had to take my gold from wiping out the dark brotherhood and make a ton of iron dagger. Now rocking a full suit with Legendary upgrades.

Now looking for ebony/daedric ore so I can make better swords then Skysteel. Dual wielding them now, at 50 damage with Legendary upgrades and the 80% perk.

Lvl 25 and loving this game!

Pollux

PaleFolklore said:
Spent 40 hours playing this over the past 3 days. I have to say, I think this is my favorite game this gen. It's so immersive. Playing a Nord Warrior and it is such a blast. I feel like I haven't come close to experiencing even a quarter of the content in the game. It's amazing to me that in a generation filled with 8-10 hour campaigns that Skyrim can have so much content and even the most mundane of side quests are enjoyable. There is just so much meat to this game I have to wonder how other studios of comparable size and budgets can't even come close to matching the breadth of this game.

I've encountered a few quest bugs though that I hope they get fixed soon. I picked up the Children of the Sky book before I got the side quest and now it won't let me turn in. Some other side quests I've finished aren't going to the finished portion of my journal either.

I really hope Bethesda works on a new Fallout game next and puts this much love into it.

I'm sorry but I hope Bethesda goes right into the DLC and then into TES VI. I'm not really a fan of the Fallout world. Elder Scrolls is so much more immersive IMO. I guess I don't like the guns and stuff in fallout. Much rather have the swords and magic of TES.

Raxus

Ceebs said:
I think this is the biggest failing of the scaling in the game. It's nowhere near as bad as Oblivion's loot drops, but I feel sort of cheated when I take down a boss and am rewarded with underwhelming drops.
Most of the items are fodder to sell. The crafting system in the game has improved dramatically so chances are you will just use the items you find will either be destroyed for enchanting or sold for gold which you will need to make better armor and enchanting your armor and weapons.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Zeliard said:
I like the dual power attack you can do by hitting both attack buttons. You can also do it with dual bound weapons which adds that extra little bit of badass.

I hate that early on at least it completely drains magicika. :( But it's definitely awesome and badass to the extreme, especially the fact that you can do it literally as soon as you
have your hands unfreed in that room with the goodies; there's a second sword hanging on the wall there

Simo

jfkgoblue said:
these screens were captured from within my house, the elf was in my house lol

I'm actually seeking out that bastard! He hired a bunch of thugs to rough me up all because I took a book after ridding a wolf out of his home....I mean, really? I get rid of the beast for you and that's how you repay me?!

Seriously can't stop playing this game and was up until 4am last night playing but as a result had two jaw dropping moments. The first happened when traveling to Riverwood in the middle of night with a clear sky and the stars shining and I was looking at the moons when all of a sudden I hear this scream and a dragon comes scooping over the mountains and gunning straight for me. Dragon went down fast thanks to the guards from Whiterun patrolling and it helped unlock my second shout.

The second "awe" moment came right after fighting the dragon. I got about half way to Riverwood when I noticed a red glow in the sky so I look up and see a aurora borealis in full effect and look around to see it stretching in the distance, at first a bright red and then turning to purple and blue before reaching the inn at Riverwood and calling it a night.

Awesome.

I have an interesting question: In the trailer we saw a clip of your character assassinating someone from behind by grabbing them and slicing their throat. HOW DO I TRIGGER THIS ANIMATION?! I have daggers but nothing happens. Please tell me they didn't take it out.

Esch

Banned
Zeliard said:
Speaking of bound weapons, exactly how powerful are they supposed to be?

Misanthropy said:
I have an interesting question: In the trailer we saw a clip of your character assassinating someone from behind by grabbing them and slicing their throat. HOW DO I TRIGGER THIS ANIMATION?! I have daggers but nothing happens. Please tell me they didn't take it out.

you gotta tap the button instead of holding down for a power attack.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was reading that 100 smithing with perks accordingly doesn't yield what you might expect in terms of armor rating vs time/perks spent to get there. C/D?

Raxus

Misanthropy said:
I did it when I was doing a quest so no they did not. I was using a sword by the way.

HildyB

D4Danger said:
Does anyone know who Ansie (sp?) is?

He sent 3 people to kill me so my mission is now to find him and break his legs

Anise.

She has a cabin outside of where you first enter the world outside Whiterun. You may have robbed her blind because she is old. This happens when you rob people and leave them alive to tell someone.

markot

Banned
Misanthropy said:
Get sneak and the stuff up so you can one shot them and then it will trigger animations >.< Although Im not 200% sure.

EschatonDX said:
TESVI should be in the Summerset Isles. Would be the ideal place to show off next gen fireworks. Or Akavir. That's too bold though.

Just from what I've heard of the Elsewyr from the Khajit traders, that sounds like an interesting place to go. It would be a really awkward title for a game though...

Jijidasu

Ok GAF, help me out!

Minor quest related spoiler from Whiterun:

I got a letter
from Skulvar Sable-Hilt in Whiterun after I was being silly and Fus Ra Doh'ed half of the town. It went on about my assaulting one of the NPC's (Bruinen, the homeless dude) and said he wanted my willingness to use force to help him with something. It says to 'call on him' when I'm in Whiterun. I've tried just about everything and he's still going on about horses.

Any ideas?

Ether_Snake said:
I really hope this game gets patched before I start playing it. Unbelievable how Bethesda consistently releases very buggy games.

?

30 hours in and so far it's one of the least buggy games all year.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm getting mugged by dragons left and right now. I had a moment where I was sneaking around one dragon, when another dragon landed on top of me. Another jump me when I was smacking some wolves, and another crash a stealth mission quest for the thieves guild.

These dudes are jerks

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Just from what I've heard of the Elsewyr from the Khajit traders, that sounds like an interesting place to go. It would be a really awkward title for a game though...

I was sort of hoping for this as well after running into my first caravan on Friday. The only thing is that it almost sounds like the Fallout world of Tamriel. :p

Yo Gotti

Banned
Wow, has anyone else done the Dawnbreaker quest? That quest is by far the most epic one I've done yet. I think it was Daedra related but I'm not sure, at the end of it I unlocked a Daedric achievement so it must have been. If you haven't, I suggest adding it to your list of things to do. Damn good quest with a great reward at the end.

It's kind of easy to miss, so here's how to get it started:

Go to Treva's Watch,
a camp overrun by Mages and Bandits West of on the North side of the river, raid the place, kill everyone inside etc. Then go to the top of the tower. In one of the Cabinets next to the Enchanting table is an Orb, grab it
and the quest is begun :).

I was starting to feel that the quest's I've done so far haven't been that memorable, this one is on par with the Daedric Crescent quest in Morrowind for me, just awesome.

Kyoufu

Ceebs said:

Damn, any hype I had for playing this game in the morning is now gone.

How do you make an RPG without good loot? :/

bounchfx

Aye, really need to agree. Still majorly disappointed at the loot in this game. same fucking items everywhere still. I get that they want to do it for keeping the lore and stuff consistent, but please, there's nothing interesting about 99% of the items... you would think that makes the named ones all the better but somehow it really doesn't. Diablo/Torchlight/WoW style itemization would have made this game better than it already is.

Zeliard said:
Yeah those probably are. I think there are probably randomized quests within each guild as a way to fill them up with more stuff to do.

Man I need to go find me a mage follower. Would be awesome. :p Right now I have that archer from Riverwood following me, but teaming up with a fellow mage would be pretty cool.

Not sure if you got a response on this, but there's a dude in Riften; think he normally hangs out in the Inn. He's a comically powerful mage in my experience. Shit just tends to explode when he's hanging around.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Kyoufu said:

You can still get good loot; it's just not great. :/

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Kyoufu said:

You guys get so dramatic sometimes. I'm finding good loot on my run. Plus I can make all the loot I want as well with smithing and enchanting.

RyanDG

Kyoufu said:

By making the crafting and enchantment system open enough that you can make whatever loot you want and then turn around and give it a special name.

I think a combine Elsweyr/Valenwood would be really cool. They're about the size of Skyrim together, and the team could have a bigger range of environments. That's probably what I would choose if I was calling the shots. High Rock sounds cool as hell but it's not very shapely; also Daggerfall was largely set there of course. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing them redo the High Rock/Hammerfall area Daggerfall covered(obviously a much smaller version).

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
HildyB said:
Anise.

She has a cabin outside of where you first enter the world outside Whiterun. You may have robbed her blind because she is old. This happens when you rob people and leave them alive to tell someone.

thanks. I'm going to spend most of my time tomorrow looking for her

here comes the pain!

Noaloha

I just rebooted the game and was met by a Skyrim version update. I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread (though it could have happened any time in the last 12 hours for all I know) -- any news on what it was for?

EDIT: Xbox by the way.

Teknoman

nicoga3000 said:
I was sort of hoping for this as well after running into my first caravan on Friday. The only thing is that it almost sounds like the Fallout world of Tamriel. :p

I'd really like to see that how their homeland looks in this engine.

Only thing that bugs me about the loot is that level scaling for merchants is really obvious. That needs to be considered with the improved enemy scaling. Just like if every bandit is wearing Ebony, if every merchant is wearing Ebony it makes it a bit less special. This is stuff that will be easily corrected with mods in the near future so I'm not too bummed about it.

Speaking of stuff for mods to correct, anyone notice that there is basically only two child models? One guy, one gal; all seem to have the exact same face and clothes. And needless the say the same voice actors. Nitpicky I know, but does kind of make me roll my eyes.

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh my! Up until Thursday, I really didn't know what to expect from the game. I was curious, but cautious as I did not care for Oblivion. Now? Possibly contender for GOTY. Heck, possible contender for GOTG.

pyros

Just became
Arch Mage
, wondering if it's safe to store loot in my room, read in another website that one of the chests respawns, any console commands to check for this, thanks.

im in Whiterun and i completed the

werewolf ritual.. i feel so unclean im not sure if i want to continue playing as one... what do you guys think?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I think my game may be broken. I'm right at the beginning of the game and I have to speak to Alvor the Blacksmithin his house to advance the plot. I speak to him and his nephew but other than general dialogue options nothing happens and my quest log doesn't update. There's a quest arrow on Alvor but that's it.

Any help? Can I just go to Whiterun?

I played the first 20-30 minutes of Skyrim. I was kinda like "ehh, this is okay but it kinda looks like a slightly better looking Oblivion" and left off just before I left the first dungeon area. I wasn't terribly impressed-- I thought maybe there was some sort of reality distortion field going on or that I overhyped it in my head too much.

2011-11-11_00001.jpg

Then today I hooked up my gaming laptop to my TV and played some more and finally got out of the first dungeon into the open world. At that point I said "HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS IS AMAZING". I was only running at 720p with 2xAA (on my laptop) but it still looked amazing on my TV.

2011-11-13_00007.jpg

It feels like the first part was made with the Oblivion engine (with way too many closeups to ugly human character models & their really badly modeled hair) but then when you get past that it turns into what the real Skyrim is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom