• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Big Ass Ramp said:
this game has been out 3 days now? I've already put 25 hours into it. That never happens for me. I wake up early so I can play it. I haven't done stuff like that since grade school. It's just nuts

Same here, not good for me though with a full-time job :p. If only I didn't have to sleep haha

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
that should be good for today! 15 hours session today, 19 hour session yesterday... how the heck is this even possible (considering I hated Oblivion)?

G'night GAF!

TimeLike

Tokubetsu said:
Anyone dual-wielding (weapons, not combining spells)? How is it? I'm thinking about focusing on it with my sneak/archery guy because blocking with a hide shield doesn't seem that effective. Think I'd be better going all offense and shifting my defense to trying to dodge shit.
I think its fun and effective. Squeezing both triggers with a sword in each Jan unleashes some crazy hack n slash action.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
MRORANGE said:
Stuck on Shout? BUG ?

I have the shout called
"Become Ethereal" from the cave which was supposed to have the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller,
but I could not use it as I needed another dragon soul, so a while later I met he dragon
Sahloknir
which I killed, which should have unlocked the shout after I killed it, but it did not, anyone know what gives? this is the second dragon I have slain, how many dragons do I have to kill to get shouts?

Got to highlight the words in magic menu and spend a soul on them (X on Xbox)

RyanDG

Ri'Orius said:
(posted this a few pages back and never got an answer; is it okay to repost?)

Can someone help me understand how character advancement works? I get that using skills levels the skills, and leveling enough skills levels your character. And I get that upon level up, you get +10 to HP, MP or stamina, plus a perk to spend in one of the skill trees, and most perks require your skill to be a certain level.

What I don't get is whether you get any other bonuses for leveling your character or your skills. Does leveling Destruction automatically make my spells hit harder? Does leveling One-Handed make my weapon deal more damage? Are there any bonuses I get just for being level N+1 over level N?

Oh, and do your companions level up somehow as well?

I'm really enjoying this game, but I would really appreciate some more transparency in the game mechanics...

The more you do something, the better you become at it. So leveling up with a one handed weapon will allow you to do more damage, casting a spell will make you better in that class of magic.

As for your companions, they do scale slightly below you in level from my understanding.

Salaadin

MisterAnderson said:
Does blocking magical attacks with a shield not lower damage?
Block level 50 and you can grab a perk that halves elemental damage. I just got it today and its a god send. Mages are dicks

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
MRORANGE said:
Stuck on Shout? BUG ?

I have the shout called
"Become Ethereal" from the cave which was supposed to have the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller,
but I could not use it as I needed another dragon soul, so a while later I met he dragon
Sahloknir
which I killed, which should have unlocked the shout after I killed it, but it did not, anyone know what gives? this is the second dragon I have slain, how many dragons do I have to kill to get shouts?

Each dragon slain gives you a soul that you can use on the shouts you find. Just select the unlocked shout and look for the unlock button at the bottom of the screen

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone know if you can go from Dragon to Daedric smithing? It would suck if you couldn't, because I'm going the left (light) route, and I'm assuming Daedric weapons are the best out there.

r1chard

Clevinger said:
Fuck Ice Trolls. I'm level 17 and I barely put a dent in him. And his health regenerated faster than I dished it out.
Yup. I ran into one at level 10.

I'm really glad there's stuff in the game that can hand me my ass on a plate. Stuff that I'm definitely coming back to later to deal with. Makes a nice change from Oblivion.

Derrick01

Banned
Eusis said:
Just because you've been luckier doesn't mean it isn't. I've had 3 CTDs so far alongside the more amusing bugs like floating mammoths, two of them today too. I don't mind as a rare occurrence, but if it's going to be more frequent I may want to wait a bit.

This is by far the most stable Bethesda game they've released. In 28 hours I've had 3 cases where the game just quit to desktop on its own but it was oddly always a minute or two after I saved, but I've had no freezes or quest glitches which is a first.

Sure I've come across the occasional levitating item and a person standing on top of a fence but those are really minor and not worth paying attention to.

RyanDG

MisterAnderson said:
Does blocking magical attacks with a shield not lower damage?

Until you get the perk for blocking elemental attacks, the damage blocked by shields when it comes to elemental attacks is pretty minimal.

tesv2011-11-1405-43-44de2p.png

My first.

if I want to make an agile warrior using one handed sword with occasional magic as support, which attributes should I focus one? stamina, health, or magic? and what about the constellation? focus on light armor, one handed sword, and magic I presume?

Sidzed2

First off, I played and enjoyed Oblivion enough at the time of its release, and I'm also not one for trolling. I should also make clear that I expect myself to be in the vast, vast minority on this one and I appreciate that maybe, just maybe, I'm one of those people who just don't 'get it'.... but...

... I find Skyrim so boring, save for its gorgeous art design and the amazingly cohesive world it offers. The quests are all fairly bland, intermingling fetch quests with boring slogs through dark, featureless dungeons and dimwitted enemies. Loading screens are frequent and irritating. The voice acting is uniformly medicore to laughable, and the character animation is barely competent.

I get that the series is about going anywhere and doing whatever you feel like, but why does it all feel so sloppy and uninspired to me? I cannot connect with any of the characters because they all move like mannequins and speak with insipid American accents.

About the best thing in Skyrim is simply taking in the gorgeous environment, which is stuningly realised and designed. It's just a shame that, on PS3 at least, it stutters to the tune of a very choppy framerate. I'll also give it props for possessing about the best inventory system and user interface I've ever encountered in an RPG.

It's not so much that Skyrim is in any way a bad game: I know millions of people will adore it for its ambition, scope, detail and artistry, but for my money it is just so damned dull on a per-minute basis and there are so many other games which offer up more fun in a shorter amount of time.

Argh, I hate being like this. What's wrong with me? Do I have no soul?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That shot above makes me wish I had a good PC. Instead I bought it on PS3:|

zoku88

r1chard said:
Yup. I ran into one at level 10.

I'm really glad there's stuff in the game that can hand me my ass on a plate. Stuff that I'm definitely coming back to later to deal with. Makes a nice change from Oblivion.
Did you try using fire stuff?

I conjure'd up one of those flame familiars and kept spamming fireballs. He went down pretty fast.

ReaperXL7

I cannot express how impressed I am with Skyrim at this point I rolled Argonian, level 21 focusing on Stealth,Archery,Sneaking,Illusion, light armor, and some smithing and one hand peppered in for flavor.

Illusion is awesome, I've had so many awesome things happen because of the frenzy spells alone that it's worth it to me to max it out, the muffle spell is also really useful for me as i'm rolling rogue and it's gotten me out of quite a few binds
along with the throw voice shout, it's awesome that they have shouts that compliment character types so well

I've done a ton of different things, but it feels like I have not done anything lol. I got what I consider to be one of the most awesome armors in the game so far
The Nightengale armor, is beyond great
and the thieves guild quests as a whole have been great. If I can look forward to the other guilds being equal in terms of quality I can't wait for them.

One of my favorite moments so far was a "fun" glitch in where I was roaming around and discoverd three dead Giants lying on top of each other, two mammoths near by starting attacking me and a Dragon shows up. I had just gotten a staff that allowed me to reanimate one powerful creature, so just to test it I tried using it on the dead giants, but instead of bringing one back it brought all three back. So I had 3 giants, 2 mammoths, and a Dragon all fighting each other, there were no words. Frame rate took a huge nose dive, but I still have not had a genuine crash.

My only concern is with loot leveling, I'm afraid I got the
Nightengale
armor too quickly and it will become useless afterawhile, but it's awesome while I have it.

Zeliard

Sidzed2 said:
First off, I played and enjoyed Oblivion enough at the time of its release, and I'm also not one for trolling. I should also make clear that I expect myself to be in the vast, vast minority on this one and I appreciate that maybe, just maybe, I'm one of those people who just don't 'get it'.... but...

... I find Skyrim so boring, save for its gorgeous art design and the amazingly cohesive world it offers. The quests are all fairly bland, intermingling fetch quests with boring slogs through dark, featureless dungeons and dimwitted enemies. Loading screens are frequent and irritating. The voice acting is uniformly medicore to laughable, and the character animation is barely competent.

I get that the series is about going anywhere and doing whatever you feel like, but why does it all feel so sloppy and uninspired to me? I cannot connect with any of the characters because they all move like mannequins and speak with insipid American accents.

About the best thing in Skyrim is simply taking in the gorgeous environment, which is stuningly realised and designed. It's just a shame that, on PS3 at least, it stutters to the tune of a very choppy framerate. I'll also give it props for possessing about the best inventory system and user interface I've ever encountered in an RPG.

It's not so much that Skyrim is in any way a bad game: I know millions of people will adore it for its ambition, scope, detail and artistry, but for my money it is just so damned dull on a per-minute basis and there are so many other games which offer up more fun in a shorter amount of time.

It's fair to feel that way, of course, but the Elder Scrolls games are basically sandbox games. A large portion of a player's enjoyment will come from the little things and the mini-adventures and such that they make for themselves, helped along in Skyrim by some 'emergent gameplay' features that actually seem functional and effective this time around, like the Dragons.

CrazyDude

Sidzed2 said:

I don't understand how you could have ever enjoyed playing oblivion with these complaints. Maybe your tastes just changed.

On a thieves guild mission:
I'm supposed to only burn three of the beehives. I've made sure I've only burnt three about 10 times now and he still says that I burnt more. Stupid bug. Fuck that guy, I want my damn cut of the money.

Echoplx

Think I just came across a huge bug, I've finished the thieves guild questline completely but I still have the objective of 'become a full member of the thieves guild' under the no stones unturned quest, this happened when I got the unusual gems appraised :/

This is what I think it's effecting (thieves guild spoiler)

I want the achievement of bringing the guild back to glory but the 'special' quests aren't activating when they should be.

MRORANGE

Warnen said:
Got to highlight the words in magic menu and spend a soul on them (X on Xbox)

Sol.. said:
Each dragon slain gives you a soul that you can use on the shouts you find. Just select the unlocked shout and look for the unlock button at the bottom of the screen

DAMN, pulgged my 260 controller into my pc and bingo! thanks man!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm getting a quantity over quality vibe for skyrim compared to new vegas as far as actual content is concerned. New Vegas's quests just simply go far more in detail to make the quests less fetch questy and have a more deep story to it. There were also far more ways to complete stuff in a manner of your choosing while in skyrim if a quest is leaning a little to good or evil your only choice is to just quit doing the quest and do something else. Fallout:NV also had tons more options in the dialog trees and developed backstorys in many of the more relevant characters while most characters here only have the 3-5 options given to you at the start.

The overall improvements to the gameplay mechanics and the wonderful detail of the level design indoors and out really make up for a lot of that. Just the art design alone for everything is making this game more fun to play then fallout, but I can't help but miss the depth that fallout brought.

I'm still earily in the game so I maybe just happened to choose the wrong quests so far, but its something worth thinking about.

Deadly

Warnen said:
Go to magic then check effects, tells ya all the buffs you have on. Maybe if you get the name you can find a way to fix it.
There are only buffs there. Just tried dropping EVERYTHING from my inventory, didn't work either.

Esch

Banned
lastplayed said:
Conjuration level 16-18? If so that's cool, must go find me a storm atronach book then.
Yep.

Is it weird that i actually like the VA in this game? I really haven't heard a lot of flat out terrible dialogue. Maybe a little campy, but hey, that's high fantasy.

So hey.

Just now starting my second run, as an Argonian.

I was going to do this:

Start > Whiterun > Kill my first Dragon > Locate all possible locations (I have a guide) > Buy house > Build up my Smithing skill > Learn all shouts > Slaughter Dragons by the bundle > Continue on main quest

Does this sound well-balanced?

cackhyena

Doing the initiation to the Thieves Guild with duder in the market.
I open the case, but how do I take what i need without someone catching me?

Zeliard

thepotatoman said:
I think I'm getting a quantity over quality vibe for skyrim compared to new vegas as far as actual content is concerned. New Vegas's quests just simply go far more in detail to make the quests less fetch questy and have a more deep story to it. There were also far more ways to complete stuff in a manner of your choosing while in skyrim if a quest is leaning a little to good or evil your only choice is to just quit doing the quest and do something else. Fallout:NV also had tons more options in the dialog trees and developed backstorys in many of the more relevant characters while most characters here only have the 3-5 options given to you at the start.

The overall improvements to the gameplay mechanics and the wonderful detail of the level design indoors and out really make up for a lot of that. Just the art design alone for everything is making this game more fun to play then fallout, but I can't help but miss the depth that fallout brought.

I'm still earily in the game so I maybe just happened to choose the wrong quests so far, but its something worth thinking about.

The difference there is Obsidian has some excellent writers.

cackhyena said:
Doing the initiation to the Thieves Guild with duder in the market.
I open the case, but how do I take what i need without someone catching me?
It's the one underneath the cart, not in the front.

SeanR1221

jfkgoblue said:
I believe so, to continue the questline, you need to be a part of the circle, and to do that, you have to drink the blood... why wouldn't you want to become a werewolf anyway?

No sleep bonuses, right?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Zeliard said:
The difference there is Obsidian has some excellent writers.

The only way to know for sure is when Obsidian releases The Elder Scrolls: New Vvardenfell in 2014. With hardcore mode that ensure you have to read books to survive.

Izayoi

Banned
So can you craft accessories in this one? If so, how? It's mighty tempting to just sell all of these gems, but if you can craft accessories I'll hold off.

Also, who buys Dragon Bones? They weigh a ton and are killing my encumbrance.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Izayoi said:
So can you craft accessories in this one? If so, how? It's mighty tempting to just sell all of these gems, but if you can craft accessories I'll hold off.

Also, who buys Dragon Bones? They weigh a ton and are killing my encumbrance.

Yes you can, and DO NOT sell the dragon bones. Buy a house and store them.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone go for Ebony ore in Redbelly Mine? It's in Shor's Stone, north from Riften.
If yes, where are they in the mine? None are appearing for me.
Does anyone else know where to get Ebony from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom