• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cutwolf said:
What are those random towers with steel gates keeping them closed and a lever in the middle? Don't know how to get in.
Elevators into one of the largest multi-part areas/dungeons in the game, Alftand/Blackreach. They're the fast exits for the various subzones.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Ilive1up said:
why are rings and other jewels valued so high, but sell for so low?

like i have a ring valued at 400 coin, but can only get 50 or so for it.
speech skill :p

bleh...there's just SO MUCH TO DO!
I'm overwhelmed and my quest log is overflowing.

Also really REALLY funny incident that I don't know if it was programmed as part of the game or just wacky randomness (concerning dragon fight)
quick traveled to mage guild. dragon RIGHT THERE. Shoots ice at me. I'm like FUUUUUUUUU and run towards the mage guild doors. Mages are there and they start casting magic and beating the SHIT out of that dragon. Summoning monsters, Master level type spells. Easiest dragon fight I had.

gdt

Man, maybe I've been playing too much UC3, but this game is really...ugly :/. Love the look of my character though.

And that dragon in the opening looks fucking awesome. I'm a Nord, gonna go melee with a bit of magic, as usual. PC version seems ok so far, getting ~30 fps on very high. Fine by me.

punkypine said:
question about the companions quest line

if you become a werewolf, can you become a normal human again or are you stuck

You can. You should get given a quest where you have to go and collect some heads (you'll know it when you get it). Make sure you get more than 1.

Artanisix

For anyone who is curious:

It took me approximately 4k gold and 1 hour to powerlevel smithing to 100 on a test character. Totally recommend against it though, running around with full dragonscale/plate early is pretty boring.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
gdt5016 said:
Man, maybe I've been playing too much UC3, but this game is really...ugly :/

Opinions and all, but....no. No, it is not. I could post screenshots, but you'll see that you are mistaken...in time.

WanderingWind said:
...is that the Starlord Cthulu with a headcrab on it's majestic, yet terrifying, head? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE HEADCRABS ARE MUCH SMALLER THAT CTHULU!?!

This one grew.

Also.

Morthal just got itself
a new Vampire Thane
. It was totally epic. I went into that quest going to depose the bad guy, and
it ended up becoming The New King replaces The Old King

Midou

WanderingWind said:
Opinions and all, but....no. No, it is not. I could post screenshots, but you'll see that you are mistaken...in time.

It's certainly a game with far more beauty in motion.

Pollux

Gouda Jouji said:
You can. You should get given a quest where you have to go and collect some heads (you'll know it when you get it). Make sure you get more than 1.
Why would not want to be one?

gdt

Midou said:
It's certainly a game with far more beauty in motion.

The animation system is a huge step up from the Fallouts, but it's still a bit janky and robotic to me. Bums me out a bit because I HATE first person melee combat. Need to use 3rd person for combat.

But really, these are only first impressions. I only just finished the first quest, gonna dig in more tomorrow.

Forkball

Forkball said:
Did I done goof? Doing Proving Honor quest and I lost Jarkas. I went back to the companions HQ and there's a cutscene, but they stop and I can't move or cancel out of it.
I fixed this for those who also have the same problem. I just fast traveled and he appeared. I did the cutscene with him and there were no problems. I didn't understand the last part of Proving Honor because it seemed like
those Dragurs just kept spawning. I wasn't sure if I had to fight them all or haul ass.

Derrick01

Banned
WanderingWind said:

It does look pretty great on PC and I haven't even tweaked it yet or run it on ultra. But yeah like Midou said it's better in motion, though I've seen some nice screenshots taken but you have to really find a spot for that.

That blizzard when I entered windhelm at night made it look amazing.

Luthos

WanderingWind said:
I'm not want to argue over stuff like that, but it makes up it's graphics with amazing design.

I'm again and again stumped by how awesome and diverse the locales are.

Pollux

Also as a vampire, is there a point where people don't attack you on sight? Can someone explain vampirism in this game?

Echoplx

williamsan said:
Just realized I can equip my sidekick with some of my older armor and weapons. Now my sidekick can properly go toe to toe with those dragons! He's been doing a hell of a job so far, but now he's better protected and armed. I'll be sad when he dies :/

Should just find a companion that can't die, most of them just become incapacitated.

markot

Banned
Is there any way to deal with the orphanage chick that doesnt involve.... you know >.<

She is a bitch, but I would prefer an alternative to... Also where did that kid get real human bits from?!

Echoplx

markot said:
Is there any way to deal with the orphanage chick that doesnt involve.... you know >.<

She is a bitch, but I would prefer an alternative to... Also where did that kid get real human bits from?!

Ugh there's only one way to assassinate someone :p Sounds like you don't want to be doing this as it leads to the Dark Brotherhood, which requires lots of killing, obviously.

Derrick01

Banned
markot said:

As far as I know you have to do it.

And you should, then watch what happens after. I thought it was pretty funny.

zlatko

Banned
I just want to make sure and be safe, but I bought a house in White-Run, and placed my Dragon bones/scales in a chest in there. There's no chance they'll disappear right? They weigh a LOT and I needed the inventory room. :(

Izayoi

Banned
So, it's safe to just dump everything in a chest in your house, right?

I vaguely remember some weird Oblivion bug where you'd randomly lose everything that was stored in a chest.

Is that also the case here?

Edit: lol zlatko

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Alright. I've finished the Mages Guild, the Thieves Guild, the Dark Brotherhood, the Companions and the main quest line. Aside from joining the Stormcloaks / Imperials, what else am I missing?

markot

Banned
Should be able to poison her and give her a heart attack or something! I do it, but then the kids run in and it gets kinda messed up >.<'

Xdrive05

About that - if you do the DB quest-line (and consequently off dozens of targets), do you get a "bad" reputation among the common folk?

I'd like to play those quests, but I'm purposely making a hero style character as opposed to a villain.

Echoplx

zlatko said:
I just want to make sure and be safe, but I bought a house in White-Run, and placed my Dragon bones/scales in a chest in there. There's no chance they'll disappear right? They weigh a LOT and I needed the inventory room. :(

Yeah it's fine, that's what houses are for pretty much.

Echoplx

markot said:
Should be able to poison her and give her a heart attack or something! I do it, but then the kids run in and it gets kinda messed up >.<'

I wish poison apples were back in, they were awesome.

Derrick01

Banned
markot said:

There's a perk in the pickpocket tree that lets you kill people by putting poisons on them. You basically act like you're putting it in their pocket and it somehow hurts them, but you need quite a few. I haven't seen a poison yet that really does a ton of damage.

I do miss the poison apples too. It was so fun watching them sit down to eat and then just croak on the table.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you are a one hand/shield character and some dude wants you to make a potion to talk to an evil thing... DO IT! SO WORTH IT!

But that stupid light lady who wanted me to clean her temple took me away while a dragon flew around and left before she was done talking! grrrr! I want to fight more dragons!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Painraze said:
how are you guys making money? im trying to save up for a house but it's taking forever? any tips?

I complained about the same thing earlier, but there just seems to be a hump. Keep playing and suddenly, you'll have more gold than you could reasonable spend. Up your speech skill tree a bit here and there too.

Echoplx

Anyone else think the Thieves Guild was crap compared to Oblivion? It really just felt like filler for the
Nightingale
quest line, no cazy heists or anything. After
Killing the Emperor
for the Dark Brotherhood it just felt kinda lame.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Started playing. About three hours in and at level five. All I can say is wow. Amazing. I've been totally enthralled.

Painraze said:
how are you guys making money? im trying to save up for a house but it's taking forever? any tips?

You don't have to buy a house. There are a few quest lines that will result in you getting your own place to call home and store things. Spend your money on more useful things in the game!

*edit* or get married and just freeload in her home

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Anyone else get the Ghostblade? I'm an archer so I can't/won't use it, but it looks damn cool.

So... I finally
bought a house an Whiterun so I can store all my crap and non-crap!

The huge weight on my shoulders is literally gone so I can revisit my recent dungeons to horde!

Took down a dragon at
Shearpoint and was lucky enough to kill this Krosis guy after a few tries before getting three more shouts. I guess when you're real close to him, he can't fireball you as often.

Next fought a Blood Dragon next, but got brutalized by its animated kill.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
3chopl0x said:
Anyone else think the Thieves Guild was crap compared to Oblivion? It really just felt like filler for the
Nightingale
quest line, no crazy heists or anything. After
Killing the Emperor
for the Dark Brotherhood it just felt kinda lame.

Yep.
A lot of the stuff in the quest line just feels so small scale compared the the Thieves Guild in Oblivion. You don't progress through ranks or anything, just boom. Now you're the leader. Easily the most disappointing part of the game for me so far. A lot of the quest lines just really really formulaic and predictable.

Also, totally just got my 20 dragons killed achievement.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Somebody asked earlier why don't Giants just kill the Dragons and rule the world... Well, sometimes they do:

UV4nO.jpg

This Giant was PISSED at this Dragon. The Dragon did a flyby and bombed their camp. Dude came all the way to where teh dragon landed and I was battling him. Too bad he only arrived I was "fatalitying" the Dragon. He even clubbed the dragon Twice as I was killing it. Then he went away calmly. Which was great, because I managed to sprint to their camp and loot the chest!

This was a dragon that spawned when I fast traveled to a farm. This was very close to one of those "dragon face" icons on the map (which name I forgot) where you get new dragon shouts. So I went there and behold: another dragon. I killed this one by myself (it was a frost dragon), but it never dissolved and I never absorbed it's soul. The dragon's corpse is still around:

Ut3WU.jpg

I wonder if it was protecting the stonewall with the shout or if the scripting jsut didn't kick in? I looted the bones and scales and everything, but it's not dissolving.

I love this goddanm game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom