• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dr Eggman said:
Did anyone go for Ebony ore in Redbelly Mine? It's in Shor's Stone, north from Riften.
If yes, where are they in the mine? None are appearing for me.
Does anyone else know where to get Ebony from?

Every merchant once you hit the appropriate level :/

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Salaadin said:
Care to spoiler why I shouldn't sell them? I only killed 3 dragons so far but sold the bones for 2 of them
Crafting stuff out of them nets you some of the best and most valuable stuff.

Also, I'm only 30 hours in, so I may have missed some use for them, but I'm an Elder Scrolls veteran from the Arena days...those things have some purpose or greater value than the small amount of coin you can get from a vendor.

Derrick01

Banned
I took a break at the base of Solitude. I can already tell it looks amazing being way up on that cliff and extending out on that natural "bridge" of land. I'm so impressed with the variety of the cities I've been to so far, some with multiple layers, some built naturally into mountains/cliffs. The whole game looks so much better than Oblivion but the cities are so much different when in Oblivion they pretty much looked the same.

LCfiner

Fantastical said:
Is the only way to get rid of disease through a potion? Everyone is telling me I look sick. :p

I got the same dialog…

check your always active magic powers. make sure you haven’t contracted something more serious.

Scythian

I was in the middle of the conversation and Shift+Tabbed to see the time, now I can't exit the conversation, pressing B doesn't do anything. I'm afraid I'll have to Alt+F4 my way out :/

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
EviLore said:
Every merchant once you hit the appropriate level :/
Do you know the level(s)? I'm level 22 and I've gone to every blacksmith/merchant and they don't sell ebony.

MRORANGE

angelfly said:
So for the first time I took down a Sabertooth and didn't have to run. I felt like a badass.

I had to fight a sabertooth tiger when I was level 4 and we were both going down a waterfall while fighting, epic times.

Reuenthal

Banned
I beat a sabertooth at a low level, granted I had to reload a couple of times but I was determined to beat him. For some reason when I encounter high level fighters I want to defeat them often enough although I had retreated a few times when death was certain. Defeating them is just very satisfying. Removal of Oblivion like level scalling is very positive for my experience.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
WanderingWind said:
Really? That's Oblivion leftover garbage I thought they had gotten rid of in Skyrim. Blech.

Yes, it's really lame. All the merchants in the game scale to your level and the smiths all stock high end materials at my level (38). They really should've developed the whole mining aspect a bit more, have you go and find mines out in the wilderness and get that stuff yourself, for the rarer ores anyway. Glass and ebony don't seem very interesting or exclusive when every smith has 20 malachite and ebony ingots at any given time.

wwm0nkey

Dr Eggman said:
Do you know the level(s)? I'm level 22 and I've gone to every blacksmith/merchant and they don't sell ebony.
Go to the Riverwood trader that lives across from the blacksmith, he sometimes sells ebony, if he doesnt have it just click wait and just wait for 24 hours.

Derrick01

Banned
HP_Wuvcraft said:
Don't want diseases?

Play Argonian.

The only true cure.

This is true, I haven't been hit with anything in 28 hours. I do have a healthy supply of cure disease potions just in case though, I used a couple in a vampire cave just because the game doesn't do a great job of letting you know when you catch something.

WanderingWind

HP_Wuvcraft said:
Don't want diseases?

Play Argonian.

The only true cure.

Filthy Argonians can lick the mud off my Dunmer boots.

First game where I haven't played Redguard. I feel sort of bad for that.

DanielJr82

I
freggin'
love
this
game!!!

Open world beauty! I'm on the Xbox 360 version and the game is flat out gorgeous (off the disc). It runs very smooth, the characters look good, the music is enchanting, the elegant menus are quick, and you craft your class as you go. It's simply amazing they pulled off an incredibly detailed open world RPG like this. I can't get enough of it, it's all I thought about today while at church, lmao. I'm only about 20 hours in and I'm still learning the ropes. Ask me again in another 20 hours I'll probably still be doing sidequests without putting a dent into the story!

I seriously put over 12 hours into Skyrim yesterday, taking breaks here and there. I'm way too invested right now. Skyrim is simply massive. I'm still building my Nord as I go. So far I'm going Sword/Shield with some Archery, heavy armor, and learning smithing and lockpicking with some alchemy on the side. Right now I have perks in all of the above except alchemy, I can't spread myself too thin. Killed 3 dragons already, one story related and two random Frost Dragons near Riverun. Thank goodness I bought a house in Whiterun to stash all those dragon scales and bones, they're pretty heavy.

Also ran into my first difficulty spike. There's a
Frost Troll towards the end of the 7,000 Step journey to see the Graybeards
that seriously kicked my ass a few times. I eventually got it thanks to spamming a fire spell and drinking all my health potions (all of them!!), otherwise I still would've been stuck there if I fought that thing head on. Thinking back, maybe I was supposed to sneak by it? I've been told these are "Beef Gates." :p

I'm hoping they eventually roll out that patch concerning textures, wouldn't mind cutting those load times in half.

****! Work again tomorrow, grrr! This weekend was one of the best long weekends I've had in a long time with a stayca-vaca in Skyrim. My hats off to you Bethesda, I think this is my GotY, followed very closely by Portal 2.

Atrus

Gold Member
I have to say that this is probably the best open world game from Bethesda to date. I think it kind of hit me somewhere when I was crossing a large tree across a gap over a large waterfall and fighting the bandit guarding the passage or the cowering from a dragon looking for me on the way up the 7000 steps and then flying away when it couldn't see anything where it just clicked.

I also like how the battles aren't just me clobbering people in 3 seconds or one shotting them all with a bow.

Reuenthal

Banned
EviLore said:
Yes, it's really lame. All the merchants in the game scale to your level and the smiths all stock high end materials at my level (38). They really should've developed the whole mining aspect a bit more, have you go and fine mines out in the wilderness and get that stuff yourself, for the rarer ores anyway. Glass and ebony don't seem very interesting or exclusive when every smith has 20 malachite and ebony ingots at any given time.

Thankfully some mods will probably fix this and hopefully the next Bethesda game will learn from this. Kind of disappointing, but at least Skyrim has improved on other matters from Oblivion.

WanderingWind

EviLore said:
Yes, it's really lame. All the merchants in the game scale to your level and the smiths all stock high end materials at my level (38). They really should've developed the whole mining aspect a bit more, have you go and find mines out in the wilderness and get that stuff yourself, for the rarer ores anyway. Glass and ebony don't seem very interesting or exclusive when every smith has 20 malachite and ebony ingots at any given time.

So...what the hell are they paying Oscura for then?

WanderingWind said:
Filthy Argonians can lick the mud off my Dunmer boots.

Stupid Weeping Angels, think you're so awesome just cause you can send people back in time relative to the number of years you steal from them.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I wed my longtime companion Jenassa, and I returned to my home in Whiterun but she's not there. I slept 48 hours, but still no sign of her. I'm worried.

Ah, I had to talk to her in Riften first. The dumb bitch walked away when the priest gave us our rings.

WanderingWind

HP_Wuvcraft said:
Stupid Weeping Angels, think you're so awesome just cause you can send people back in time relative to the number of years you steal from them.

...is that the Starlord Cthulu with a headcrab on it's majestic, yet terrifying, head? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE HEADCRABS ARE MUCH SMALLER THAT CTHULU!?!

Ilive1up

why are rings and other jewels valued so high, but sell for so low?

like i have a ring valued at 400 coin, but can only get 50 or so for it.

Just realized I can equip my sidekick with some of my older armor and weapons. Now my sidekick can properly go toe to toe with those dragons! He's been doing a hell of a job so far, but now he's better protected and armed. I'll be sad when he dies :/

Luthos

Holy ffuuu-, the Wolf Armor is insanely awesome. And half as heavy as my previous Dwarf armor. I don't care that they got rid of separate pants and chest, the new armor variety is hot.

Derrick01

Banned
Ilive1up said:
why are rings and other jewels valued so high, but sell for so low?

like i have a ring valued at 400 coin, but can only get 50 or so for it.

This game does seem to have a bit of a Witcher 2 effect going on. I too have some really good stuff but I don't think I've been able to sell anything for more than 500. Everyone grossly undercuts me, I guess because I haven't really leveled my speech that much. It is at 40, but I haven't put more than 2 perks into it to get the ability to bribe guards.

DanielJr82

Snuggler said:
I wed my longtime companion Jenassa, and I returned to my home in Whiterun but she's not there. I slept 48 hours, but still no sign of her. I'm worried.

Ah, I had to talk to her in Riften first. The dumb bitch walked away when the priest gave us our rings.
My companion disappeared for a long time too (Lydia). She reappeared after I fast traveled, though. Odd bug?

Forkball

Did I done goof? Doing Proving Honor quest and I lost Jarkas. I went back to the companions HQ and there's a cutscene, but they stop and I can't move or cancel out of it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DanielJr82 said:
My companion disappeared for a long time too (Lydia). She reappeared after I fast traveled, though. Odd bug?

Speaking of that, Lydia seems to have moved into my house without being asked. She keeps blocking the door frame, so I'm thinking about murdering her.

sixghost

I really wish the Mage Mask type of equipment wasn't classified as light armor. That seems pretty weird, as using them completely messed up any kind of build using Xflesh armor.

Out of curiosity, what armor rating would a light and heavy armor user have around level 20 at 50 proficiency? Stone flesh or iron flesh gets you to 150-200, which seems pretty badass.

Fantastical said:
Is the only way to get rid of disease through a potion? Everyone is telling me I look sick. :p
You can go to certain shrines and it will cure your diseases. For instance, there's a building in Whiterun that has an underground staircase for an entrance (called Hall of the Dead or something) where you can do that.

Fjordson

Yeah, your companion can sometimes fall behind, but waiting an hour or any sort of fast travel (or entering a building/dungeon/house) always puts them at my side.

I've been rolling with Lydia, she's awesome tanking with her shield while I snipe fools with my bow.

Think I might move past Whiterun finally. Maybe. Still have things to do here, though there's also still so much I've yet to see.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is seriously one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Good lord. Best RPG since Xenoblade.

WanderingWind

Izayoi said:
What is the crafting station called? Is there one within reasonable distance of Whiterun?

Yeah, there is one just right of the entrance of Whiterun, but they are scattered everywhere.

This game is just to good. Better than Oblivion in so many ways. I have a strong feeling this will consume my life for the next few years at least. Or until the next Elder Scrolls. I am playing on the 360, so my plan is to play it to death for about the next year, then once I upgrade my PC to handle it I will continue the adventure all over on my PC which will be like a whole new game with all the mods that will be out by then. Game of the forever!

I just hope Bethesda has some good DLC in store while I'm stuck playing on the 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom