• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Ducky_McGee said:
What's the level cap in this game?

I hate level caps.

BTW I'm playing my first play through as a mage. Clothing and POSSIBLY light Armour. Specializing in destruction and illusion.

Any disadvantages to going full mage?
None because being a mage is awesome.

Khezu

Is anyone having problems with the atronach sign? It keeps absorbing all my summoning spells, it takes like 5 or 6 casts to get a frost atronarch out.

I don't remember it absorbing friendly spells in past games.

Raxus

Van Owen said:
I feel like I've been rocking the same steel armor forever. Do enemies eventually start dropping better stuff or what?
Enemies no longer scale with you. You may find 'better' gear but the best armor is constructed.

So far the only armor I have encountered that is high end has been an orc helmet and a glass chest. Both of which were not enchanted.

Skirn

Tapiozona said:
I'm still pretty small in the game (level 5) and I have a buddy of mine who says he's already killed 5 dragons and he was about a level 8 or 9.

The only dragon I ran across other than the first one in the story line, tore me a new one (and permanently killed Lydia). Am I supposed to avoid dragons until I get bigger or should I be able to kill them no matter what my level? I'm playing on Adept and I'm thinking my buddy turned the difficulty slider down to kill those dragons.
Yeah, I had the same problem as you. That dragon would instantly kill me when I went withing melee range, which sucked since I'm melee-focused. Pretty funny animation, too, he'd just toss me into the air and I'd just die from the fall damage. :lol

At about level 10 I could start to tango with them without the fear of being insta-shotted by their breath and bites. I'm playing on Expert difficulty.

Anyone know good spots for Iron Ore?

Xevren

Ducky_McGee said:

I hate level caps.

BTW I'm playing my first play through as a mage. Clothing and POSSIBLY light Armour. Specializing in destruction and illusion.

Beginning can be kind of rough as a full mage, but gets immensely better once you get some perks. If you're going full mage, no point in going with light armor, you will need the robes that give faster regen. Alteration gives stoneskin type spells and with a perk it enhances the effect if you don't wear armor.

Karak

I didn't take as cool pictures as others.

But here is Karak Legend Ender...doing his job.

FA1BFF90FDAEF246FC12C5E8E73A13F79FE4E339

Fwbha.jpg

A bit from my favorite city in the game

5F268B4962CA6265480A064ADB5C6940A758654F

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
K2Valor said:
Archery was pretty hard to work with early game.
Now that I'm highly leveled in it (almost maxed the entire skill tree) it almost feels too good
3AQmK.gif
I'm just three hours in and archery is already beastly for me. It's my main offensive tool thus far. Sneak archery for the win.

Raxus

I need advice. I am putting LOTS of points into enchanting and I was wondering, as a mage, is it worth it to abandon robes and just go with enchanted light armor? I know it is a pain in the ass to fight anything in robes.

If I do go with enchanted light armor then do the magicka regen and spell reduction buffs stack for each piece of armor?

GhaleonEB

I just completed my ride from Solitude to Riften. It took 28 minutes.

I rode to the top of a peak in a snowstorm, where my steed and I stood overlooking the valley, color drained from the screen such that we were a black silhouette against a white and grey landscape. I galloped past what looked like a yeti but was probably a white snow troll.

Down in the valley, I rode over a bridge, below which was a waterfall that had salmon leaping upstream. I stopped by a farm and lent some mercenaries a hand as they fended off a giant attacking the farmers. I crested a ridge against a bright deep orange dawn and saw a forest below. I found over a dozen new map markers, seldom straying from the road. Settlements, mills, caves, towers and homes to visit later on.

I spent half an hour just riding through the land and I'm sitting here smiling at the beauty of it all, the detail and artistry that went into making that ride a pleasure. I'm also thinking about all the places I want to return to on my way back, and spend some time exploring.

But first, to join the Thieves Guild, so that I can get a fence in Solitude, so that I can sell the stolen merch I will steal there, so that I can afford to buy a home there, so that I can place my 50+ books on a book shelf, sit down in a chair, and read some of them.

After which I might start doing some of the two dozen quests I have piled up. But not until I've completed my own quest.

I love this game.

r1chard

Can anyone tell me what a smelter looks like? I've not run into one yet (knowingly) and I have a bunch of ore I want to smelt...

RyanDG

r1chard said:
Can anyone tell me what a smelter looks like? I've not run into one yet (knowingly) and I have a bunch of ore I want to smelt...

It's in the main crafting area in white run (near the warmaiden). It's going to be a big enclosed furnace looking thing.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Helmholtz said:
You're doing it wrong.
It's not the case on top of his stall you're supposed to loot from, it's the one that's sort of hidden behind and under the stall. You should see it.
Don't worry, it took me like 20 minutes to figure it out, it's really stupidly designed and confusing.
Holy fuck this should've been explained better. I used up all my save slots getting this shit just right. Once I picked
the right lock, I had to pickpocket it in him, but I didn't know I had to wait til he was done talking to do so (it said I was hidden).
Fucked that up a few times too. Finally done though.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
r1chard said:
There is one at Whiterun just as you enter on the right. (Going off memory, but I'm pretty sure that's right, there is a bunch of tools to use there)

EDIT: Beaten.

Blizzard

Banned
Derrick01 said:
So has no one had a seemingly random stat just plummet on them? I wouldn't care if it was a magic skill but it's my main attack skill that took a hit for no apparent reason. I couldn't find any negative effects but I took a cure disease potion anyway and nothing happened.
I would like to know this as well since I'm also playing archer. I'm keeping like a hundred save files so in theory I can go back if it happens, but still...

I just played the games intro (about 40 mins) and it's pretty cool so far. I just know I'm never going to have the time to do anything in this game since my game time consists of fairly short intervals (I'll rarely get 2 hours straight). Oh well, maybe i'll give it to my brother :(

I had to return to someone to get my bounty money ( one of the quests) but when I chose the quest in the quests page and selected it to get the quest target ( an arrow comes on the compass which you follow) the arrow didn't appear on the compass?

Any reason for this?

Sometimes it shows up for some quests other times the marker wont appear.

sixghost

Is there any point to increasing your proficiency in skills other than meeting the minimum requirement for perks? Like does a destruction spell or my bow do more damage at a proficiency of 50 compared to 25?
Ducky_McGee said:

I hate level caps.

If you are going mage I'd recommend investing in the Alteration tree, even if it's solely to use the Oakflesh, Stoneflesh, Ironflesh line of skills. They give you 40/60/80 extra armor respectively, and there's a perk in the alteration tree that increases that amount by 2x, 2.5x, or 3x if you aren't wearing anything designated as heavy or light armor.

Also I'd recommend going Northeast to Winterhold very soon if you are pure mage. The college of magic quests give you so much useful gear, and access to every school of spells.
Blizzard said:
I would like to know this as well since I'm also playing archer. I'm keeping like a hundred save files so in theory I can go back if it happens, but still...
I'm not even sure that would solve it. I had a glitch happen to me in the Mage College where I was supposed to be turned invisible for a short time, but for some reason my character stayed invisible after I was supposed to revert but only if I was wearing the headpiece/mask that I was using when it happened. Like 3 hours later it just randomly corrected itself for some reason.

These games are fucked sometimes.

Raxus said:
I need advice. I am putting LOTS of points into enchanting and I was wondering, as a mage, is it worth it to abandon robes and just go with enchanted light armor? I know it is a pain in the ass to fight anything in robes.

If I do go with enchanted light armor then do the magicka regen and spell reduction buffs stack for each piece of armor?
Drop some points in Alteration... with just lvl30 you get a perk called Mage Armor that will give you 2x bonus to armor spells when you're not wearing real armor. An apprentice spell like Stoneflesh will give you 120 Armor Rating which is very high. You'll have to continually cast it every couple minutes obviously to keep it active though.

Zeliard

Fighting a dragon at night and turning into a werewolf out of nowhere during the battle is quite a thing (I was wearing Hircine's Ring). :p Interestingly, I reverted back to human form the instant I absorbed the dragon's soul.

TheExodu5

Banned
So...you can't go from Dragon Smithing to Daedric Smithing.

That is really dumb for an assassin character who went the light armor route but wants a Daedric Bow or Daedric Dagger (essentially the best weapon type in the game).

sixghost

Houston3000 said:
Drop some points in Alteration... with just lvl30 you get a perk called Mage Armor that will give you 2x bonus to armor spells when you're not wearing real armor. An apprentice spell like Stoneflesh will give you 120 Armor Rating which is very high. You'll have to continually cast it every couple minutes obviously to keep it active though.
Definitely unlock the dual casting and duration increase perks too. It'll make the spell last 120 seconds instead of 60. It makes it much more bearable.

is there any news why this game doesn't have cloud saves?

I wanted to do it with dropbox, but then i noticed that every save is 8mb....

my save folder is already 800mb +

bounchfx

I found Elven Boots of super stamina..

except the image is of chest armor. and it wears like chest armor. But it says boots... :|

also, why do they go back and forth on the smithing perks? some of the perk trees look like they're built specifically to piss me off. Seriously, branch into a light armor tree, and a heavy armor tree.. don't make me waste more perk points.

Derrick01

Banned
Blizzard said:

Yeah I don't even know when it happened either, theoretically I could have been walking around for hours with it. I'm just about to level up though so maybe that will fix it, or I'll try idesofmarch's suggestion and just wait for the next archery level up I do.

Apdiddy

I'm at level 11 and barely made out of Faders Creek or whatever it's called as part of a quest for the Companions.

I went on a quest for
some girl at a temple to revive a tree. And then I have to fight a dragon to complete the quest and die each and every time.

Am I missing something here? Should I be doing something else first before I attempt these quests?

bounchfx

Lord-Audie said:
is there any news why this game doesn't have cloud saves?

I wanted to do it with dropbox, but then i noticed that every save is 8mb....

my save folder is already 800mb +

that's probably exactly why.. the file are huge. but there's no reason you can't only keep your latest save in DB

FStop7

Banned
Uh. So I just did a pretty bad thing in one of the major cities, but it was in the name of helping others. But now I'm treated as "kill on sight" by the local guards. Any way I can buy my way out of this?

Derrick01

Banned
Ok so I fixed the stat problem. I don't know how I did it since I luckily found an Archery book which also made me level up, so I dunno which one fixed it, but it's fixed and that's all I care about :)

elwes

My girlfriend was watching me play and was like "Hey, you should put some points into pickpocketing. That seems cool."

Me: "Eh, sure, why not.

Five hours later, I'm playing an entirely different game than what I was playing before then.

Operation "Steal Clothes Off of Someone's Back" has commenced. The mantle of the Grey Fox shall never die.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
K2Valor said:
Archery was pretty hard to work with early game.
Now that I'm highly leveled in it (almost maxed the entire skill tree) it almost feels too good

Now that I've found some +% to bow damage enchants, it's SO much nicer. Starting out, it wasn't terrible, but there was a period from about level 10-20 where it was maddening. Now level 22 with 63 or so Archery, and things are great.

I need some assistance with a quest.

I ran across a place called Ansilvund. There's this "being" you have to kill in there, but I'm stuck in a room with 4 pillars and a lever. If you get it wrong, you get ARROWED. But here's the problem - I literally have found no hint at what the rotating pillars should be.

I don't want to have the answer given to me, but I was wondering if anyone has done this little adventure yet. If so, could you tell me if I'm supposed to find something lying around, or what? I don't want the answer, nor do I want a specific 'do this do that solution done!', but I mean, I've gone through this place twice now, with no real clue as to what I'm supposed to find.

For help for those who may have been here, there's a stone walkway leading to the gate that unlocks. There's a pressure plate in the center that causes a statue to breath fire on you as you pass it. There's also a sweet column trap that rams you into the ceiling of spikes.

Hopefully somebody has some direction for me!

Blizzard

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Ok so I fixed the stat problem. I don't know how I did it since I luckily found an Archery book which also made me level up, so I dunno which one fixed it, but it's fixed and that's all I care about :)
Awesome. :)

SirButterstick said:
Can you block while dual welding? Can't seem to figure that out.
I was already beaten to this, but I don't think you can. I even found some book talking about blocking (killing before you're killed?) and it mentioned you can't block with two weapons.

Side note, I started out trying to read every book in some priest's place...but then I realized it was becoming tiresome and I would burn myself out. Now I just check the title page of most books to see if it gives me a quest or EXP, but even that takes forever in some places like the library. There's so much stuff in this game, and I mean that in a good way...I just have to make myself not read books constantly. =P Some of them are creative though. I found one choose-your-own-story book.

BeeDog

I have 15 perk points not used (haven't used a single perk since I started the game, heh). Anyone got any suggestions on what I should improve? My character wears mostly heavy armor, and I like melee combat (both 1H and 2H) and use some Destruction magic at times.

How do you hold onto dragon bone and scales early on in the game? I can't afford a house yet and would like to store it safely somewhere so I'm not always encumbered.

markot

Banned
BeeDog said:
I have 15 perk points not used (haven't used a single perk since I started the game, heh). Anyone got any suggestions on what I should improve? My character wears mostly heavy armor, and I like melee combat (both 1H and 2H) and use some Destruction magic at times.
:p

r1chard

BeeDog said:
I have 15 perk points not used (haven't used a single perk since I started the game, heh).
Wow :)
BeeDog said:
Anyone got any suggestions on what I should improve?
Just get whatever sounds like fun. You'll probably want to focus on one of the combat styles. Unless doing both is fun, in which case carry on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom