• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Painraze said:
how are you guys making money? im trying to save up for a house but it's taking forever? any tips?
I loot everything so I always have plenty to sell after I've been roaming around out in the world (or after a dungeon).

Also happened upon these awesome Boots of Hauling that give me plus like 50 to my carry weight, so I just toss those on, loot even more stuff, and then go back and sell it all.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Ookami-kun said:
So it seems like pure melee characters will suck since dragons love flying =/

Killed 7 so far, shout will knock them out of the sky or at least get them to fly down to you

Yo Gotti

Banned
My sword glows when zombies are near and makes them EXPLODE when I kill them.

Then all other zombies within a good 30 feet catch fire.

:-|

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

r1chard

Ookami-kun said:
So it seems like pure melee characters will suck since dragons love flying =/
I'm all about the melee and I've only fought one so far.

The first time it just flew around and I shot pitiful arrows at it. It ended up getting taken out by a bunch of mages that were way powerful and killed me just after they finished it off.

The second it kept landing right near me so I could beat the crap out of it. Score one soul. No mages that time too :)

FStop7

Banned
Got jumped by a bear. Used the Kynes shout on it. Bear stopped attacking, sat down, and started taking a nap. D'awww.

I ran into a really tough dragon, I guess it's true that they vary in aggression and HP. My arrows did a fraction of the damage they've done to other dragons. Its aggro was also much more focused on me. It would land, blast me with flame, take off as I healed myself, strafe me from the air, and then repeat. It was ignoring everyone else. It just kept that up until I ran out of magicka and potions. After several deaths I was finally able to beat it by spamming frost spells from both hands while Lydia kept it engaged on the ground. I'm not even a caster, but my Destructive spells are OK in a pinch.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
OR74t.jpg

Whoopsee! Hope that didn't interrupt bloodflow to your brain or anything. P.S. Your friend takes naps in the strangest places.

2WAvP.jpg

Lara Croft, is that you?

Dragon takedown! Lydia droppin bombs as I do it. HEYOOOO!

This game is amazing.

GUESS WHO! Eragon? NOPE, YOU'RE DEAD!

Lydia trying to get in on that dragonborn action.

Some of the dungeons are completely amazing.

Yo Gotti said:
My sword glows when zombies are near and makes them EXPLODE when I kill them.

Then all other zombies within a good 30 feet catch fire.
I just got that sword, but I use a mace so I'm just going to sell it, hahahhahahahahaaaa!

brentech

Warnen said:
Killed 7 so far, shout will knock them out of the sky or at least get them to fly down to you
Interesting. I'm using the bow and 2h weapons. Havent tried melds on a dragon though. What kind of strategy do you use once it's on the ground? Circle strafe it?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So at first, I thought Alchemy was annoying. Now, after spending a while at a crafting table just selecting random shit, it turns out Alchemy is amazing. It's very simple once you know what's actually going on, and I'm really happy they did this. It's only a guessing game until its not. If you select ingredients that don't work, then while your picking ingredients on your subsequent attempts, it will grey it out letting you know that it's not going to yield anything. And on top of that, the potion list appears on the left.

So after you learn restore health or whatever, you can select two ingredients from those you have under the restore health tab. From there, you can pick a third booster to help. Maybe you want to pick an ingredient with regenerate health, or one with restore magicka or stamina, or increase resistance, etc. I'm definitely a HUGE fan of it now that I get it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Painraze said:
how are you guys making money? im trying to save up for a house but it's taking forever? any tips?
1) Steed Stone. It removes all penalty of using Heavy Armor and adds 100 carry weight bonus. Why would you ever use another stone is beyond me. Sadly, i'm not anywhere near it right now. I started traveling north today.

2) Here's the secret: Bring your companion (Lydia) that the Jarl of Whiterun gives you to a mines/bandits hideout, loot EVERYTHING and give most of the things to her. She can carry A LOT OF CRAP. Take her back to the city with you after the looting and sell everything. Do multiple runs if necessary. Fast Traveling is awesome for grinding money. I'm level 19 and I already bought and furnitured my entire Whiterun house and I already have 5k again.

Khezu

Storm call
is my favorite shout, only level 1 right now, already seems pretty powerful, don't ever use it in a town though, people freak the fuck out.

Echoplx

drizzle said:
1) Steed Stone. It removes all penalty of using Heavy Armor and adds 100 carry weight bonus. Why would you ever use another stone is beyond me. Sadly, i'm not anywhere near it right now. I started traveling north today.

2) Here's the secret: Bring your companion (Lydia) that the Jarl of Whiterun gives you to a mines/bandits hideout, loot EVERYTHING and give most of the things to her. She can carry A LOT OF CRAP. Take her back to the city with you after the looting and sell everything. Do multiple runs if necessary. Fast Traveling is awesome for grinding money. I'm level 19 and I already bought and furnitured my entire Whiterun house and I already have 5k again.

Lover Stone, all skills level 15% faster :)

Pollux

vitaminwateryum said:
Alright. I've finished the Mages Guild, the Thieves Guild, the Dark Brotherhood, the Companions and the main quest line. Aside from joining the Stormcloaks / Imperials, what else am I missing?
You're going about this game the wrong way...it's not really a check list to complete but an sensation to experience.

Relax, just let the game flow.

Rad-

Painraze said:

No matter what build you are, taking that first speech perk at least once is a must imo. Even if it's just 10% more money from selling, it stacks up fast.

Derrick01

Banned
It seems I've run into this skill bug, at least I think it is. I just noticed that my Archery is currently red and it's down to 15 from about 48. I have no negative effects on me at all so I have no idea what's doing it.

Problem is archery is my main attack so if it's really 15 I'm fucked :(

zmoney said:
You're going about this game the wrong way...it's not really a check list to complete but an sensation to experience.

Relax, just let the game flow.

I'm pretty sure the game can be played any way you want. It isn't some Buddhist experience.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Also really REALLY funny incident that I don't know if it was programmed as part of the game or just wacky randomness (concerning dragon fight)
quick traveled to mage guild. dragon RIGHT THERE. Shoots ice at me. I'm like FUUUUUUUUU and run towards the mage guild doors. Mages are there and they start casting magic and beating the SHIT out of that dragon. Summoning monsters, Master level type spells. Easiest dragon fight I had.

You think that's something...

I was fighting a dragon on my way to finish a bounty hunt, it flew over to burn a couple of mammoths and I figured I'll let them fight before their toast. Surprisingly, they killed it, allowing me to get its soul. Lucky me!

If you come across a new companion, and you choose to "part ways" with the current one in order to have the other one, will they just go back to wherever I "recruited" them and can always go back to tell them to follow me again?

FStop7

Banned
CrazyDude said:
It's a trap.

It became totally passive for a good 2 or 3 minutes. I was able to stand right next to it, push it around, and it would just kind of trundle away. I literally had to start beating it with my sword to make it attack me again. I was really hoping I could tame it - running around Skyrim, freaking out the townsfolk with a war bear at my side would have pretty much cinched this as the game of forever.

Also, NPCs love their dogs. I walked by a farm and shot a chicken at range with my bow. The farmer got annoyed and said "stop that!" and that was all. So then I took a pot shot at his dog. Holy crap. 6 people and the dog itself immediately jumped me, I was dead in seconds.

Echoplx

Where can I loot an awesome war axe? I've been using Skyforge Steel with shock enchant and haven't found anything better for ages (lvl 24)

W1SSY

So I just got the spell transmute and it is pretty cool. It convers iron ore to silver and silver to gold. Kind of nice for making things.

Recon

Banned
This game has some awesome random things. My horse starting fighting a dragon with me, cool, but then he got on his tail and the dragon flicked him far away. That was really bizarre and awesome.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
So uh, I'm finding this first Riften thing with the thieves guild kind of impossible.

So I unlock the case, right? How the fuck am I supposed to steal the ring if I can be seen? guards are looking right at me and shit. I've tried this a fuck ton of ways, invisibility potions, all that shit, I keep getting caught, it's so dumb.

RyanDG

Man, I just completed a Night to Remember... I lost Lydia to a
Pyromancer, Necromancer, Fire Mage, and Ice Mage
all in one room. I'm not a stealthy kind of guy. The whole run in and bash things didn't work there. With that said, what a finish to that quest to have it capped off with my companions death (and what happens next). Nutty.

Pollux

TemplaerDude said:
I'm pretty sure the game can be played any way you want. It isn't some Buddhist experience.
I'm just saying that looking at it like a checklist and thinking your missing something isn't really the point of TES.

You can play it how you want, I wasn't trying to tell him not to play his way, so calm down.

Tapiozona

Banned
I'm still pretty small in the game (level 5) and I have a buddy of mine who says he's already killed 5 dragons and he was about a level 8 or 9.

The only dragon I ran across other than the first one in the story line, tore me a new one (and permanently killed Lydia). Am I supposed to avoid dragons until I get bigger or should I be able to kill them no matter what my level? I'm playing on Adept and I'm thinking my buddy turned the difficulty slider down to kill those dragons.

Piecake

FStop7 said:
It became totally passive for a good 2 or 3 minutes. I was able to stand right next to it, push it around, and it would just kind of trundle away. I literally had to start beating it with my sword to make it attack me again. I was really hoping I could tame it - running around Skyrim, freaking out the townsfolk with a war bear at my side would have pretty much cinched this as the game of forever.

Also, NPCs love their dogs. I walked by a farm and shot a chicken at range with my bow. The farmer got annoyed and said "stop that!" and that was all. So then I took a pot shot at his dog. Holy crap. 6 people and the dog itself immediately jumped me, I was dead in seconds.

In Elder Scroll Skyrim, Bears play dead for you!

r1chard

brentech said:
Interesting. I'm using the bow and 2h weapons. Havent tried melds on a dragon though. What kind of strategy do you use once it's on the ground? Circle strafe it?
I've only done the one, but I walked up to its head and hit it, repeatedly.

Prezhulio

so, are
dragonscales and dragonbones
worth keeping or selling?

i figure there has to be crafting opportunities with them, but i'm just not sure how many i'll need. plus, weight.

also - is this like new vegas where if you enter console commands and then exit and re-launch you'll be able to earn steam achievements or are they perma-disabled? i hate incumberance

gate777

WOW...

Met my first giant today while out on a cross country stroll. He hit me once (I died) and he threw me at least 10-20 metres into the air.... The game already loaded my last auto-save before I even started to fall back down to earth.

I finally
bought my first house in Whiterun. Phew, now I can store all that heavy loot I was carrying around all this time.

Reknoc

cackhyena said:
Doing the initiation to the Thieves Guild with duder in the market.
I open the case, but how do I take what i need without someone catching me?

You might be opening the wrong case! No one should see you if you're going for the box under his stall.

edit: wow I'm late, forgot to refresh.

Fjordson

drizzle said:
Holy fuck, where is this?

Helmholtz

SpeedingUptoStop said:
So uh, I'm finding this first Riften thing with the thieves guild kind of impossible.

So I unlock the case, right? How the fuck am I supposed to steal the ring if I can be seen? guards are looking right at me and shit. I've tried this a fuck ton of ways, invisibility potions, all that shit, I keep getting caught, it's so dumb.
You're doing it wrong.
It's not the case on top of his stall you're supposed to loot from, it's the one that's sort of hidden behind and under the stall. You should see it.
Don't worry, it took me like 20 minutes to figure it out, it's really stupidly designed and confusing.

Reached level 20. Finally got the 50% Chance to Stagger perk in my Archery tree - insanity!

I very seldom have problems with weight anymore. After buying my house I store all my bones/scales there as well as a ton of other crafting materials. I found a pair of Heavy Gauntlets with +20 Capacity on them, disenchanted and made a nice ring I crafted with a Grand Soul Gem I found (stole) to add +15... then, soon after, I found Light Boots with +20 Capacity. Since I wear light Armor anyways I only have about 120 default weight (mostly potions and ingredients - though I started storing a lot of that in my house to) and my max is up around 360 with only two or three points I ever dropped in Stamina. Coin is also pretty abundant, I was really in a hole while saving for the Whiterun house but now I own the house and I've since bought all the furnishings and am back up at 6.5k Septim. I know the next house I'm able to purchase though will be too expensive and I'll feel poor again.

I feel very powerful now to. Dragons are tough (fought my first "Blood Dragon" today) but otherwise I'm pretty amazing. My bow does awesome damage and Illusion provides all the control I need in most situations where it doesn't. There's still the problem of large single enemies who are immune to my magic - Mammoths, Giants, Dragons, Snow Trolls I think might be immune... at least for now. I deal with them with ample use of potions - basically crazy poisons on my bow and lots of Fortify/Restore Health Potions - not to mention I have enough mana to realistically heal myself pretty easily with Restoration.

Derrick01

Banned
So has no one had a seemingly random stat just plummet on them? I wouldn't care if it was a magic skill but it's my main attack skill that took a hit for no apparent reason. I couldn't find any negative effects but I took a cure disease potion anyway and nothing happened.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Archery was pretty hard to work with early game.
Now that I'm highly leveled in it (almost maxed the entire skill tree) it almost feels too good
3AQmK.gif

What's the level cap in this game?

I hate level caps.

BTW I'm playing my first play through as a mage. Clothing and POSSIBLY light Armour. Specializing in destruction and illusion.

Any disadvantages to going full mage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom